HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 22, 2017, 6:01 AM

I agree with the above. Walmart, for example is also different in Canada for probably the same reasons. Yet Walmart thrives. In a way consumers expectations were to high for Target Canada. They did apparently have other issues stocking shelves initially.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2017, 12:54 PM

I've read many stories on why Target failed. The Canadian division was an organizational mess. They rushed openings to get return on their investment which meant stores lacked inventory. People came in droves (they had major crowds opening week) but slowly they faded away.

I personally shopped at Target all of the time. By the time they fixed their issues and stocked the stores, it was too late. The final Christmas you could walk through the store and see a handful of people. Apparently the American CEO visited a Target in Mississauga at Christmas, saw the store was mostly empty and decided at that point to shut the Canadian operation down.

Basing the strength of Canadian retail on Target's failed expansion is silly. Most American chains make it here. Tastes, styles, language is mostly the same as in the USA so retailers like to test the international waters by setting up here. Target was just a case of poor management, failed logistics and complete and utter disorganization.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2017, 1:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
people keep complaining about target. please in plain simple english explain what was different about it. I never found a problem with target in Canada. I often found the stuff in seattle target more expensive than back here in canada for the same item. They both carried nate berkus stuff, mossimo stuff etc.

What was not the same? what are the usual target items?

one dumb ass i read complained that they didn't carry the same pop he could by in the states. Well thats not targets fault but coca cola or pepsi co canada divisions that don't carry or allow those products to be sold in canada. I'm thinking mr pibb or sierra mist etc.
I completely agree. Yeah, they probably took on too much too soon which led to the supply chain issues for the first year or so, but they were getting a handle on things. It's like people showed up the first time, got angry that they couldn't find some American meat product they routinely bought in Fargo, and swore off the place completely. I thought it was a great store.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2017, 2:36 PM

And worse Target just gave up on it.

They would have got it figured out. Their ERP set up was a joke and they screwed it all up from the start. They're probably still sorting out the distribution centers.

I remember going in their and being surprised by little stock there was, but also not caring because I assumed it was growing pains. Prices were what I would expect.

People would have stopped caring about the prices / products (which weren't THAT bad) and come back. Target would have sorted out if they just gave it a few more years. Seriously now no one can compete with Wal-Mart. (I don't have a vendetta against walmart but I don't like that they are the only 'true' department store, would be nice to have a Target to compete with them here though)

Old Posted Apr 22, 2017, 3:40 PM

To clarify

"Make no mistake the Outlet mall as a whole will not "fail" like Target Canada."

In my post yesterday, I was not indicating that the Outlet Mall will fail like Target Canada, I was noting that should any of the occupants (culprits) decide that they can just do whatever, because Canadians don't know any better, they will fail, not the whole Mall.

I really wanted Target Canada to succeed. I took out their credit card and I shopped there as much as possible. My biggest disappointment came when the brand new Polo store opened. I assumed it would house a complete grocery/deli/bakery and such. At least that was what "I had heard". I like the Grand Forks Target for this reason. I attended the opening week and was very disappointed.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2017, 12:50 AM
Armchair urbanist

I always here the "no/little stock" story when Target was in town but I never had problems there. We frequented the Grant Park and Polo Park locations so maybe those locations were well stocked?

Old Posted Apr 23, 2017, 1:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexrae View Post
I always here the "no/little stock" story when Target was in town but I never had problems there. We frequented the Grant Park and Polo Park locations so maybe those locations were well stocked?
They finally fixed their inventory issues, about 6 months before they closed. Unfortunately by then it was too late.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2017, 2:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisforpm View Post
They finally fixed their inventory issues, about 6 months before they closed. Unfortunately by then it was too late.
target polo park was a mess and it was open 6 months before it shut down lets not kid ourselves

that store kind of fixed its inventory about a month or so before it shut down.. even then they never had the same selection that other big box retailers offerd

Old Posted Apr 23, 2017, 2:57 AM

Domino's Pizza is opening in the strip mall at Main and Leila. (oops wrong thread, sorry)

Old Posted Apr 23, 2017, 3:35 AM

that north gate shopping plaza is turning into a congested mess with all the buildings popping up in that parking lot..

what the hell were they thinking...

Old Posted Apr 23, 2017, 8:03 AM

Its weird the target stores i went to in alberta and bc were pretty good from day one but i never really paid attention to the food stuff anyway which was the main complaint I guess.

As for the outlets, well they are pretty much the same in comparison to the states versions. The prices will probably dissapoint people, but when the sales are on they are great. Most every long weekend they have the best sales on. Fossil is generally 50% off the lowest price on a tag at all times and some of the markdown prices are really good, like you can pick up a nice wallet for $20.

Saks off 5th is a little pricey, they did have $4000 prada bags marked down to like $2800, but then they also had $200 ivanka trump marked down to $80...

Also some stores just don't seem to explain that the price will actually work out cheaper than what it says, like my friend liked some stuff but thought it was too pricey until we asked a sales associate how much is this and they would say its another 40% off or whatever and then he would be more interested in purchasing it so it pays to ask if you're not used to outlets.

also lindt gives away a free chocolate at the door, always a good stop lol

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 1:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilwayne View Post
that north gate shopping plaza is turning into a congested mess with all the buildings popping up in that parking lot..

Wait til Jollibees opens. But once they do the demo they will open up more parking space. Would also help if they made theatre customers park at the back only but that may be hard to enforce. But signage indicating theatre parking at rear would help imo.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 2:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
Malls are failing all over North America. What makes this one, roughly half way between the city's two largest and most successful malls, likely to succeed? Something is going to give, and I'd rather see this place fail than Polo Park or St. Vital.
The Winnipeg Outlet mall is going to most heavily impact the box stores just south of their on Kennaston. The distance to customers and that they were trying to run a stealth outlet mall will bite them now that there is a proper weather protected outlet mall. It's also not so much about the total capacity on retail in Winnipeg but who cashes the rent cheques. One of the big players realized there were leaving rent money on the tables for others to gobble up.

In terms of long term prospects in the Winnipeg market, Cadallic Fairview and their Polo Park status as king of the market are definitely the most vulnerable. The failed Polo Park target and the cost of the Stadium site as a whole needs to be dragging down their local prospects. Add in that the Polo area is nearly fully saturated making finding anyone remotely interested in the Stadium site an extremely difficult task.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
people keep complaining about target. please in plain simple english explain what was different about it. I never found a problem with target in Canada. I often found the stuff in seattle target more expensive than back here in canada for the same item. They both carried nate berkus stuff, mossimo stuff etc.

What was not the same? what are the usual target items?

one dumb ass i read complained that they didn't carry the same pop he could by in the states. Well thats not targets fault but coca cola or pepsi co canada divisions that don't carry or allow those products to be sold in canada. I'm thinking mr pibb or sierra mist etc.
There were definitely specific lines of products Target Canada did not have. For example the US locations have clothing in sizes for both larger folks and taller folks. Canada never got those. Some of items Target had sourced from outside companies and secured only US exclusive rights. As those outside producers had long seen demand in Canada they signed exclusive details with other retailers blocking Target from carrying them.

In terms of the pop side, that was a huge calculated misstep by Target. They could have approach CocaCola and Pepsi and gotten exclusive runs of some of those banners done and eaten those costs as a lost leader for their openings. Instead they chose to carry operational loses across their opening. It is two different approaches on how you can build a customer base.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tree View Post
And worse Target just gave up on it.

They would have got it figured out. Their ERP set up was a joke and they screwed it all up from the start. They're probably still sorting out the distribution centers
This cannot be overstated enough. I can't recall the specifics of why it was down but Target Canada decided to operate a different inventory management software solution than Target USA had used for years. This meant they had no internal experience with the Canadian system. It lead to huge data issues in the system. The system was meant to track inventory down to the shelf level. Problem is they had that information wrong resulting in stores needing to try and improvise or stock needing to sit in the backroom as there was no where to put it out. Target Canada was trying to run a very lean system though and more stock kept coming but there was no where to put in and the problem just compounded.

Another significant part of Target Canada's failure was their corporate culture was that you never said no. This meant that before any stores opened in Canada when senior staff held a meeting and knew the launch should be delayed several months rather than speak up on their concerns they remained silent hoping to fix the issues on the fly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laumag View Post
I really wanted Target Canada to succeed. I took out their credit card and I shopped there as much as possible. My biggest disappointment came when the brand new Polo store opened. I assumed it would house a complete grocery/deli/bakery and such. At least that was what "I had heard". I like the Grand Forks Target for this reason. I attended the opening week and was very disappointed.
Target did not communicate that overly well to the public. They run essentially two or more banners. The Grand Forks location is a "Super Target" and they commonly have two entrances. It was fairly clear that Polo Park would not be a Super Target before it opened and would actually be closer to the Target store in Fargo.

Quote:
Target Canada might have fixed their supply chain management issues but they never did solve the gap between customer expectations and store inventory.

--

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilwayne View Post

Keep in mind the Moore Centre (SportsCheck, TD Bank, etc) just south of Northgate is a different development and landlord. It seems the new owner of Northgate is trying to more visibly establish their property lines and limit cross parking which used to be fairly common.

As was mentioned previously, the new developer seem to have a plan that they hope will make better use of the rear parking lot. We will see once all the changes are finished. It always seemed that the layout of the site and limited parking was a significant part of why Target had not taken over that site.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 3:26 PM

Forgot to mention Bebe is the latest to go bankrupt and close all Canadian stores. As they don't operate any locations locally there is minimal impact here.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 5:09 PM

Well Could Be Very Interesting Future Dairy Queen Locations That Includes Grant Park Location as Well http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bus...420206723.html

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 6:34 PM

So a DQ Grill and Chill is now the lead tenant for Westport Festival?

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
So a DQ Grill and Chill is now the lead tenant for Westport Festival?
And Boston Pizza.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 8:02 PM

Quote:
I've read many stories on why Target failed. The Canadian division was an organizational mess. They rushed openings to get return on their investment which meant stores lacked inventory. People came in droves (they had major crowds opening week) but slowly they faded away.

I personally shopped at Target all of the time. By the time they fixed their issues and stocked the stores, it was too late. The final Christmas you could walk through the store and see a handful of people. Apparently the American CEO visited a Target in Mississauga at Christmas, saw the store was mostly empty and decided at that point to shut the Canadian operation down.
This article sums up the whole debacle quite well:

http://www.canadianbusiness.com/the-...target-canada/

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 8:30 PM

^^ Read that article before. The first two paragraphs capture the essence of why Target Canada failed. Sure not stocking Cherry Coke Zero lead to disappointed customers but the problems were much, much deeper than that.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 6:46 PM

This outlet mall is going to have a brutal impact on other retailers? Has Fang Wan not been to a major mall in Winnipeg on a weekend in the last decade? There's a seemingly bottomless appetite for shopping here. When did Sunday shopping start? Mid-90s? I think that was the last major retail expansion in Winnipeg.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan