HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 2:50 PM
Ignore these four words.

Just flew to Abbotsford and back on NewLeaf over the weekend. Less than three hundred dollars - all in. All extra charges are clearly stated on their website and explained again via email the closer you get to departure day. They sent me two emails two and one week prior to the flight. You are allowed one free personal bag that can fit under the seat in front of you and 25 bucks for the first checked luggage. The plane was nearly full to Abbotsford and full on the way home. All in all, no complaints.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2017, 3:20 AM

Wasaya Airways announced new flights to Winnipeg which start May 1st on a B1900

http://www.netnewsledger.com/2017/04...stop-winnipeg/

Last edited by Rookie00; Apr 14, 2017 at 4:08 AM.

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 3:07 PM

Reading that WestJet has ordered 20 787-9 (Dreamliner) planes. First delivery is 10 planes in 2019. Market expansions to Europe, Asia and South America. Not sure if YWG will get any of those flights but these will likely fully replace the 767 fleet once they are in service.

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 4:37 PM

^ Pretty ballsy move by WS.

Now we can look forward to paying extra for a meal on our 13 hour flights to Tokyo!

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 4:45 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post

Now we can look forward to paying extra for a meal on our 13 hour flights to Tokyo!
I think it wouldn't be unreasonable for winnipegto expect one flight on a dreamliner but of course we always get the short end of the stick. Perhaps we will get increased frequency with the 767s once the 787s come online

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 4:48 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Quote:

...after you connect to that flight in YYC.

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
I think you're mistaking me for someone from Edmonton who gives a shit about airport rivalries.

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Where you'll have to spend the night.

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 4:53 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Quote:
i think you're mistaking me for someone from edmonton who gives a shit about airport rivalries.

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 4:56 PM

^ I'm cheap and easy, give me a good fare and I'll connect in Brandon and Grande Prairie if I have to.

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 7:21 PM
ILYR

More solid growth at waa.ca. Passenger numbers are up again for the first quarter, 5.5% from 2016.

http://www.waa.ca/media/news/article...ults-unaudited

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 7:25 PM
Heart of the Continent

Based on last year's numbers, that puts Q1 north of 1M people for the first time ever.

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 7:25 PM

WS 787 service would seem to be the best opportunity for weekly YWG-MNL service. It is also likely to take over YWG-LGW if that service still exists. Twice daily return flights between YWG-SJO would also seem to be a strong candidate for the new WS 787 fleet.

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
WS 787 service would seem to be the best opportunity for weekly YWG-MNL service. It is also likely to take over YWG-LGW if that service still exists. Twice daily return flights between YWG-SJO would also seem to be a strong candidate for the new WS 787 fleet.
Tee hee

I would think it'll be more of the same... YWG-LGW, although really the question is will it go from the current barely there service to something more substantial.

I have a hard time imagining YWG-MNL would get the green light. I doubt there would be much business traffic at all on that route, which would drive yields down significantly. You'd have a hard time building a transpacific route on the backs of people going to the old country to see grandma on the cheapest possible ticket. Maybe at most as a charter kind of arrangement, like once a week seasonal, etc., but that's about it.

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 9:33 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Tee hee

I would think it'll be more of the same... YWG-LGW, although really the question is will it go from the current barely there service to something more substantial.

I have a hard time imagining YWG-MNL would get the green light. I doubt there would be much business traffic at all on that route, which would drive yields down significantly. You'd have a hard time building a transpacific route on the backs of people going to the old country to see grandma on the cheapest possible ticket. Maybe at most as a charter kind of arrangement, like once a week seasonal, etc., but that's about it.
Winnipeg should position itself to do increased business with the Philippines and other countries in South east Asia. Then we'd have our non-stop service. I don't particularly care what destinations or how many destinations but it would be nice to have one full-time european destination as well as central/ south america and asia.

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 9:45 PM

Winnipeg to Manila would be the 4th longest flight from Canada anywhere. A thin route of course. Plus needs to compete with almost as direct one-stops (Vancouver) and two stops (Vancouver/Calgary, Narita/Taipei/Incheon).

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 10:41 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Air Canada configures their 787-9s with 298 seats - 30 business, 21 premium economy and 247 economy. I'd assume Westjet would do something similar.

Given that the only service to Canada from Manila is to Vancouver (and to Toronto via Vancouver) I think Winnipeg is perhaps maybe a trifle optimistic. I'd bet on London daily service, Paris, Beijing and Tokyo before Manila. All of which are pretty unlikely IMO. Filling a Manila flight once a week, especially with business class might be too optimistic.

My bet is London X3 weekly. It's almost certainly the most popular destination from Winnipeg and the 3 weekly services makes direct flights much more convenient.

Old Posted May 3, 2017, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave46 View Post
My bet is London X3 weekly. It's almost certainly the most popular destination from Winnipeg and the 3 weekly services makes direct flights much more convenient.
Even daily LGW service is likelier than MNL. London is a connecting point for Europe, Africa and even India making such a flight useful to a wide range of travellers, while MNL traffic would pretty well be restricted to the Philippines. I'm just not sure that there's enough, especially when it comes to people willing to pay higher or premium fares.

Old Posted May 3, 2017, 2:46 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
Based on last year's numbers, that puts Q1 north of 1M people for the first time ever.
Excellent news indeed.

Old Posted May 3, 2017, 1:27 PM

Quote:
Even daily LGW service is likelier than MNL. London is a connecting point for Europe, Africa and even India making such a flight useful to a wide range of travellers, while MNL traffic would pretty well be restricted to the Philippines. I'm just not sure that there's enough, especially when it comes to people willing to pay higher or premium fares.
You've nailed it exactly. Unless we become the North American head office for Jollibee or go heavy into the truncheon/body bag industry, we won't generate enough business class fares.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan