HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted May 31, 2014, 11:30 PM
A hole being Doug

Point Grey - Cornwall - Burrard bike lane

It was very busy today, I intentionally avoided taking the pictures until gaps in the pelotons. There is more foot traffic as well, previously you would be pushed out into the road to pass people on the narrow sidewalk.

People are still adjusting as I saw two different casual bicyclists in the car lanes instead of the nicer separated bike lanes, and one car that was planning on turning right where there is a dead end. Very minor stuff.

It will definitely be one of the more popular bike routes, but then again the seawall is the ultimate bike route and this route is instead of the much more desirable waterfront boardwalk elevated above tidal waters that would have been a true seawall connection between Kitsilano and Jericho beaches, and without hills.

In the above picture, the concrete median periodically lowers to the level of a speedbump to allow driveway access for vehicles.

In the above picture, bicycle traffic headed south from Burrard bridge connects to the Cypress bike route through the park where the eternally unlit flame is.

The landscaping around bike lanes and traffic calming curbs has become very nice. Good grass, new trees to provide a mental separation of traffic, special lamp posts, little gardens where there is more space at corners.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2014, 6:23 PM
Vancouver Moderator

Great photos but please resize.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2014, 6:41 PM

I took a bike ride on Saturday from my place in Richmond to Jerico Beach via Number 3 Road, the Canada Line Bridge, the Heather Street greenway, the Seawall, Burrard Bridge, the terrible Parks-Board-Fail Kits Beach bypass section, and the fabulous new Point Grey Road, and I have a few observations.

(1) Point Grey Road is so much better that it used to be. I couldn't believe how much shorter the ride felt and how much more pleasant it was without having to effectively ride in the gutter while cars passed at relatively high speed, as was previously the case.

(2) There were families everywhere along Point Grey Road and a lot of kids are learning to ride their bikes along that stretch.

(3) The Kits Beach section is an absolute mess. The signage directs cyclists through the parking lot at Kits Beach and it was a total disaster. Kids and families who minutes before had a safe, discrete route suddenly found themselves trying to navigate a packed parking lot with cars backing out of spots, and people walking and riding everywhere, plus turning out of the parking lot was a mess as cars tried to turn in, proceed along the road, and pedestrians crossing the sidewalk-driveway. I cannot believe that the Park's Board thinks that this is an acceptable state of affairs and I'm disgusted that they chickened out at the last minute on their plans to build a proper bike path to connect through Kits Beach. What a joke. Someone's going to run over a kid on a bike with training wheels in that parking lot sooner rather than later.

(4) The intersection at Burrard and Cornwall is exponentially better than it used to be. That intersection is the closest thing I've ever encountered in North America to what the Danes and Dutch take for granted as the proper way to build a safe multi-modal intersection on a major road. There were still a few drivers who didn't understand their advance turn signals and had to be reminded by honking, and a pair of cyclists didn't realize that the west side of the Burrard Bridge was a one-way cycling path, so there's still some teething occurring and possibly an additional sign or two could be useful, although I don't know how the big red 'wrong way' sign on the approach to the west side of the Burrard Bridge is insufficient.

(5) The bike counter in front of Science World was either broken or we had cycled (pun intended) past its maximum display of 9999, because when I went by mid afternoon the reader only showed 68 bikes. I would guess that's a safe bet for five to ten minutes, but certainly not half a day's worth on a beautiful early summer day.

(6) [Jumping around, I know] The bike path at Jerico Beach comically ends in a grass field. One moment you are on a separated bike path with fresh asphalt and the next you're on grass. I'm guessing it indicates the jurisdictional boundary between Engineering and the Parks Board, but it's stupid and the Parks Board really needs to get on board with the expanding cycling network. Also, there are nowhere near enough bike racks at Jerico Beach. It's just kind of silly.

(7) Point Grey Road could use a new layer of asphalt. There are sections that have been re-done, but most of it is awfully bumpy (evidence of its longtime use as an unintended arterial).

(8) Very happy to be back on my bike. I rode to work today in Richmond for the first time. I wish we had Vancouver's bike infrastructure. If I abruptly stop posting here, you might need to check the obituaries in the Sun.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2014, 9:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFUVancouver View Post
Once the specter of a lawsuit was raised against a separated bike lane through Hadden Park, Vision needed to make a call. Backroom discussions likely concluded that mounting pressure to improve bike access through the park would be less of a liability than mobilizing Kits Point against the party in an election year.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2014, 9:17 PM

Great post SFUVancouver. I'm anxious to try the new Point Grey road and the interchange at the south end of the Burrard Bridge.

Regarding the counter at Science world. It was out of commission for a few months but I thought it was back working as of last week. I cycle by it on every commute (downtown to Richmond). A typical nice day has it around 1500 when I go by in the morning and 5000+ when I bike home.

I know what you mean about Richmond... yikes. Thankfully it's a small part of my commute.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2014, 3:50 AM

The lights at the WE of York aren't yet activated. Makes for an annoying wait when it's busy on Cornwall. Hopefully they will be activated soon.

Today, i came across 3 construction/road closures on various bike routes on the West Side. It always amazes me how often the bike routes are blocked with no detour route shown.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2014, 5:59 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

An update on the Canyon to Coast pathway which is planned to connect Hope all the way to the ocean. Should be even more impressive then the Spirit trail on the North Shore upon completion.

http://former.vancouver.ca/ctyclerk/...ents/ptec4.pdf

Old Posted Jun 20, 2014, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
An update on the Canyon to Coast pathway which is planned to connect Hope all the way to the ocean. Should be even more impressive then the Spirit trail on the North Shore upon completion.
Very interesting, I was completely unaware of this initiative. A lot of it is already in place here in East Vancouver - the biggest gap is the section west of Argyle that requires you to share the road with heavy trucks.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2014, 8:35 PM

I neither bike nor drive, but is gave up all hope for cycling humanity whenever I see bikers biking on the sidewalk when there is a bike lane a foot away. Seriously. Last time I saw this was on cambie st at queen e park. If we're going to spend millions of dollars on bike lanes in this city, at least use them for ducks sakes!!

The space for bikes on point grey road is insane! I could stretch out head to toe at least 3 times and still be within the bike lanes. There is NO way they need that much space. It could be used for green space, or an hov lane or something and be a much better use of space and $.

This is ridiculous. Someone should go and open up every manhole cover on every bike lane and watch the hilarity that follows. They should be out on the street where they belong so I don't have to keep dodging them.

As one who never really had an opinion of bike lanes before, I sure woke up.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2014, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPaul View Post
I neither bike nor drive, but is gave up all hope for cycling humanity whenever I see bikers biking on the sidewalk when there is a bike lane a foot away.
I totally agree that some cyclists are idiots. Some of them are idiots most of the time, and the rest of us are just occasional idiots - victims of the human condition.

But the same can be said for pedestrians and motorists. And yet I don't see anyone asking to ban sidewalks or roads...

Old Posted Jun 25, 2014, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPaul View Post
I neither bike nor drive, but is gave up all hope for cycling humanity whenever I see bikers biking on the sidewalk when there is a bike lane a foot away. Seriously. Last time I saw this was on cambie st at queen e park. If we're going to spend millions of dollars on bike lanes in this city, at least use them for ducks sakes!!

The space for bikes on point grey road is insane! I could stretch out head to toe at least 3 times and still be within the bike lanes. There is NO way they need that much space. It could be used for green space, or an hov lane or something and be a much better use of space and $.

This is ridiculous. Someone should go and open up every manhole cover on every bike lane and watch the hilarity that follows. They should be out on the street where they belong so I don't have to keep dodging them.

As one who never really had an opinion of bike lanes before, I sure woke up.
Yah the manholes should be on the street and not in the bike lanes. The extra bumps are frustrating as a cyclist without suspension.

OK there should be no tolerance for posts that suggest harm to cyclists, drivers or pedestrians for that matter. Suggesting to "Someone should go and open up every manhole cover on every bike lane and watch the hilarity that follows." is not a laughing matter. Nor is any suggestions to injure anyone for that matter. Should we also place roadside bombs on Highway 1 and watch the hilarity that takes place? NO

Old Posted Jun 25, 2014, 7:34 PM

^ I agree. McPaul crossed a line of good taste with that comment.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2014, 7:53 PM

Obviously the guy is not being serious, and I can understand any frustration directed towards cyclists. I live in an area with a lot of cyclists and these guys are some of the biggest jerks out there, yelling at you for getting in their way while they blow through a stop sign. I'm convinced some cyclists purposely like to scare drivers. just for kicks i guess.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2014, 8:37 PM

i lost count on the number of cyclists i saw running through stop signs, yield signs, and even red lights yesterday. most of the time they didn't even look let alone slow down at all. then when there will be an accident everyone automatically blames the driver.

it is also very annoying when there is a separated bike lane right next to the lane I'm in and there is a stupid cyclist in the driving lane. millions and millions of dollars and yet there will still be a cyclist in the car lane slowing everyone down.

it really speaks volumes the cyclists, (some, most, all?), in this city when i was making a right turn from Hornby onto Georgia and i had the green right turn light. a cyclist goes through his red light, almost hitting my car and flying over to hood, and he tells me to "get out of the fucking way" and gives me the finger. i find myself wondering what would have happened if i had been a foot further into the bike lane while turning. what commotion would have ensued about that.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2014, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VancouverOfTheFuture View Post
it really speaks volumes the cyclists, (some, most, all?), in this city when i was making a right turn from Hornby onto Georgia and i had the green right turn light. a cyclist goes through his red light, almost hitting my car and flying over to hood, and he tells me to "get out of the fucking way" and gives me the finger.
That's completely unacceptable behaviour, no question. No one should defend it. That said, it's unfair, inflammatory, and insulting for you to suggest that this behaviour is reflective of "all" cyclists in Vancouver.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2014, 9:25 PM

Outside my window I see a non-stop stream of drivers running a stop sign and being generally dangerous drivers. We can all play the personal observation/anecdotal evidence game.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2014, 10:27 PM

As a pedestrian, I occasionally get annoyed with both bikers and drivers.

That said, guess which one of those groups has nearly killed me multiple times through inattention or impatience?

Old Posted Jun 26, 2014, 10:16 PM

Quote:
i lost count on the number of cyclists i saw running through stop signs, yield signs, and even red lights yesterday. most of the time they didn't even look let alone slow down at all. then when there will be an accident everyone automatically blames the driver.

it is also very annoying when there is a separated bike lane right next to the lane I'm in and there is a stupid cyclist in the driving lane. millions and millions of dollars and yet there will still be a cyclist in the car lane slowing everyone down.

it really speaks volumes the cyclists, (some, most, all?), in this city when i was making a right turn from Hornby onto Georgia and i had the green right turn light. a cyclist goes through his red light, almost hitting my car and flying over to hood, and he tells me to "get out of the fucking way" and gives me the finger. i find myself wondering what would have happened if i had been a foot further into the bike lane while turning. what commotion would have ensued about that.
Yes and yesterday I had a left turning driver nearly run into me head on going through an intersection because he blindly followed the vehicle in front of him while he was talking on his hand held device. I had to stop in the middle of the intersection as he drove through even while looking at me. Billions of $ is spend on new roads, left turn lanes etc., what is your point? There still is speeding, red light running, cutting off, hand held device infractions. Should we close the roads? No but we need more education?

Old Posted Jun 27, 2014, 2:17 AM

well i didn't say all. i said "some, most all?" i cant say for sure but i know that the ones i have seen are not law abiding to say the least. i like your use of picking 1 word to quote while ignoring the others, bravo.

as for car drivers, well i cant defend them there are some horrid ones out there for sure. that being said, i have to say the majority of car drivers i have seen are a lot more law abiding then the number of cyclists i have seen. but keeping in mind i haven't seen all car drivers/cyclists.

speaking from my experience, though, i have never had a driver curse and think i am at fault when in fact i am not. that is something i have noticed reserved for the cyclists in this city.

maybe i am hanging out in the wrong parts of town for cyclists but it is just something i have noticed happening, more then once with a kind of attitude that they can do whatever the hell they want, when they want. where as for car drivers i notice a lot less with this kind of attitude.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2014, 6:29 AM

Quote:
speaking from my experience, though, i have never had a driver curse and think i am at fault when in fact i am not.
You just can't hear them with their windows rolled up.

I was cycling on Gladstone, a designated bike route and through street when a guy in a convertible tried to go through a stop sign on a cross street in front of me. I didn't stop (although I could and would have if he hadn't yielded), and he yelled at me despite the fact that I was the one who had the right of way.

There are an awful lot of motorists who seem to think that cars have the right of way over bicycles, but it isn't true. A bicycle follows exactly the same right of way rules as everyone else on the street.

But more often I find exactly the opposite - drivers on a through street who will stop to let me cross even though I have the stop sign and they have the right of way. I used to wave them on but over time I've realized it's faster and simpler for all involved to just thank them with a nod and a wave and be on my way.

There are all types of cyclists and all types of motorists. Thankfully in my experience there seem to be more decent ones than bad ones of all types.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure