HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredinno View Post
It's funny, if nothing else.
I didn't write that, but wish I had. It makes exactly the point I was trying to make: don't BS me with renderings suggesting a bustling hipster promenade.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2019, 5:31 AM

aww wouldn't anyone want to be the guy who has to sell the ice cream on the bridge LOL

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 7:21 PM

Segment 1 Arbutus Link (Trafalgar to Burrard)

https://vancouver.ca/files/cov/10th-...n-displays.pdf

Quote:
Segment 1 Arbutus Link (Trafalgar to Burrard)
When the upgrades to the Health Precinct (Segment 3) of the 10th Ave corridor were being planned, many were understandably concerned over the potential impact it could have on one of our regions most most valuable institutions.

Fortunately, the City of Vancouver’s Engineers don’t work in an echo chamber, and the consultation with the general public, Vancouver Coastal Health, and other key partners led to a transportation network that now works for everyone.

Perhaps that’s why many who came to this event to discuss improvements to the Arbutus Link (Segement 1) section of 10th Avenue seemed to have an open mind, even if they normally opposed the idea of bike lanes. Hannah and I do our best to stay open to new ideas too, so, on my way to the event, I made sure to walk down 10th from Burrard to the Kitsilano Community Centre.
https://cityduo.wordpress.com/2019/0...rdent-critics/

Old Posted Feb 21, 2019, 9:31 PM

Scramble pedestrian crossings coming to 2 intersections in downtown Vancouver

Kenneth Chan Feb 20, 2019

Final 2019 design for 800 Robson Plaza. (City of Vancouver)

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/scra...town-vancouver

Old Posted Feb 21, 2019, 11:57 PM

Good.

They should also be implemented at Georgia and Granville and Robson and Granville.

I would even recommend Cambie and Broadway, but maybe that would be more difficult to implement with the large volume of vehicle traffic?

Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Good.

They should also be implemented at Georgia and Granville and Robson and Granville.

I would even recommend Cambie and Broadway, but maybe that would be more difficult to implement with the large volume of vehicle traffic?
Scramble intersections are most useful at locations where there is significant turning traffic which crosses pedestrian traffic. Neither of those locations have much (or any at Granville and Georgia) turning traffic. Both Howe and Hornby have left turns from Robson that would previously be the same phase as pedestrians.

Scrambles are more about seperating car and pedestrian traffic, so if you can get away with just two phases with peds can cars going the same way, that probably is the quickest for everyone.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 1:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandor31 View Post
Scramble intersections are most useful at locations where there is significant turning traffic which crosses pedestrian traffic. Neither of those locations have much (or any at Granville and Georgia) turning traffic. Both Howe and Hornby have left turns from Robson that would previously be the same phase as pedestrians.

Scrambles are more about seperating car and pedestrian traffic, so if you can get away with just two phases with peds can cars going the same way, that probably is the quickest for everyone.
I feel this is only if you are thinking about vehicles.

At Granville and Georgia a significant amount are crossing between the southwest corner (Canada Line Entrance) and the northeast corner (Expo Line Entrance). Seems to me having those pedestrians cross the intersection once instead of twice would be a benefit.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 2:56 AM

Quote:
I feel this is only if you are thinking about vehicles.

At Granville and Georgia a significant amount are crossing between the southwest corner (Canada Line Entrance) and the northeast corner (Expo Line Entrance). Seems to me having those pedestrians cross the intersection once instead of twice would be a benefit.
Not exactly. Scramble intersections generally prohibit pedestrian movement during car phases, so at the Granville and Georgia intersection, you'd have to wait two car phases before initiating the scramble. This is worse than the current set up where, while it takes two phases to cross diagonally, you can cross one direction (eg E-W) to then immediately go the other direction (eg N-S) on the next phase. Or vise versa. Either way, you can expect to make a crossing on each phase without waiting. If this were a scramble, you'd be waiting for the third phase for pedestrian scramble when you could have already completed the diagonal crossing.

If what you are suggesting is adding a third scramble phase to current set up, I don't really see the benefit. There is a 1-in-3 chance you luck out to arrive at the intersection at the scramble phase, but otherwise it makes sense to just use it normally instead of waiting for the next scramble.

Scramble only really benefit by separating car turning movements from pedestrians crossing. The trade off being you wait longer for all the car phases to finish, but get to complete the pedestrian crossing in one phase, in conjunction with the car turning phase being shorter as there is no waiting for crossing pedestrians (ie pedestrian crossings prohibited during car phases).

Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 5:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandor31 View Post
Not exactly. Scramble intersections generally prohibit pedestrian movement during car phases, so at the Granville and Georgia intersection, you'd have to wait two car phases before initiating the scramble. This is worse than the current set up where, while it takes two phases to cross diagonally, you can cross one direction (eg E-W) to then immediately go the other direction (eg N-S) on the next phase. Or vise versa. Either way, you can expect to make a crossing on each phase without waiting. If this were a scramble, you'd be waiting for the third phase for pedestrian scramble when you could have already completed the diagonal crossing.

If what you are suggesting is adding a third scramble phase to current set up, I don't really see the benefit. There is a 1-in-3 chance you luck out to arrive at the intersection at the scramble phase, but otherwise it makes sense to just use it normally instead of waiting for the next scramble.

Scramble only really benefit by separating car turning movements from pedestrians crossing. The trade off being you wait longer for all the car phases to finish, but get to complete the pedestrian crossing in one phase, in conjunction with the car turning phase being shorter as there is no waiting for crossing pedestrians (ie pedestrian crossings prohibited during car phases).
Shouldn't be a problem if the phases are shortened. Let's say E-W mixed and N-S mixed get thirty seconds each right now. Changing it to 20s E-W vehicles -> 20s N-S vehicles -> 20s pedestrians brings it back to normal.

Even better because now motor and foot traffic are separate from each other, so the intersection is safer and less congested.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 6:07 AM

it seems pointless to have scramble corners at these intersections... because on the 800 block you can freely cross to any side you want at anytime you want since it is closed to cars...

Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 7:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VancouverOfTheFuture View Post
it seems pointless to have scramble corners at these intersections... because on the 800 block you can freely cross to any side you want at anytime you want since it is closed to cars...
You're right. It is kind of pointless.

But this is how planning works at the City of Vancouver. Baby steps instead of bold steps.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VancouverOfTheFuture View Post
I predict it will also cause big tie-ups on Howe Street. The block from Robson to Georgia is already busy. I can see cars wanting to make a right through the short trun signal on to Howe being blocked by traffic stuck on Howe, leading to back-ups down Georgia.

Last edited by whatnext; Feb 22, 2019 at 9:30 PM. Reason: spelling

Old Posted Feb 23, 2019, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Good.

Georgia/Granville and Cambie/Broadway?

Only, and only, if you have a full-time cop stopping pedestrians from entering the intersection at the last moment. That's a disease at Georgia/Granville especially.

I've seen police at Georgia/Granville during special events to keep the pedestrians save and in order, and it made a world of difference.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2019, 5:07 AM

missed this one

Video Link

Old Posted Mar 11, 2019, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
Georgia/Granville and Cambie/Broadway?

Only, and only, if you have a full-time cop stopping pedestrians from entering the intersection at the last moment. That's a disease at Georgia/Granville especially.

I've seen police at Georgia/Granville during special events to keep the pedestrians save and in order, and it made a world of difference.
My guess is that Georgia and Granville would negatively impact the bus traffic on Granville Mall.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 10:16 PM

I wonder how this would work in Burnaby its so spread out and I can't imagine taking a bike from Brentwood to Metrotown. Perhaps the heights and Brentwood could work or Metrotown and area.

Quote:
UPDATE: Burnaby council moves to create bike share pilot program

City staff recommend launching a pilot program

Kelvin Gawley / Burnaby Now
MARCH 10, 2019

Burnaby residents will likely soon have a new way to get around town, when a bike-share pilot program launches.

On Monday, city council approved a recommendation from municipal staff to advance a request for qualification from potential bike-share operators.

The city has already been approached by several operators looking to expand in Burnaby, according to a staff report.

Bike sharing systems, like Mobi in Vancouver, provide short-term bicycle rentals. Allowing such a service in Burnaby could have many benefits, as well as potential drawbacks, the report says.

“Bike-sharing can increase mobility choice and flexibility, reduce congestion and fuel use, provide for multimodal transport connections (e.g. use of transit and cycling to make on trip), and even replace or supplement trips that may be circuitous or inconvenient by another mode,” wrote city staff.

The University of British Columbia, Richmond and Port Coquitlam are launching their own pilot programs, according to the report.

https://www.burnabynow.com/news/upda...ram-1.23659302

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
I can't imagine taking a bike from Brentwood to Metrotown.
Rental bikes certainly aren't built for the major hills in Burnaby.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 10:46 PM

I'm a huge fan of Mobi, and was originally a skeptic. It would be great to be able to Mobi to the SkyTrain, get out to Burnaby and then finish the journey on a Mobi.

Of course, this might not happen as the City of Vancouver is probably subsidizing Mobi more than Burnaby would want to to have the service expanded into Burnaby. Nonetheless, the more Mobi expands the more useful it will be and I'm sure membership with grow exponentially (ideally reducing the need for a subsidy).

I'm on the fence about dockless bikes. It's likely better than nothing, but the clutter and uncertainly of where bikes are is not great. I love knowing where I need to go to get a bike and out of my hundreds of Mobi trips, I can count on one hand the number of times the nearest station didn't have a bike, which is amazing.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
Rental bikes certainly aren't built for the major hills in Burnaby.
Related question: do Mobi bikes have pedal assist? Seems like a must-have for Vancouver.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
Related question: do Mobi bikes have pedal assist? Seems like a must-have for Vancouver.
No, but they do have 7 gears, which I've found enough for even getting up Ontario St from the water to 10th (but Yukon isn't as steep so usually take that). But by no means are they as efficient as a proper road bike.

Still better than the first generation Bixi bikes in Montreal which only have three gears (current generation is more similar to Mobi and have 7 gears; always go for those ones). Or Onzo bikes in Auckland NZ which only have 1 gear (and Auckland is definitely as hilly or more than Vancouver)!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure