HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Aug 7, 2023, 6:26 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by cibolo View Post
they could have done the same with the federal courthouse, tbh.
It does look kinda like a smaller version of the Frank Erwin Center, but I don't think it's big enough to do anything with for an NBA arena.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2023, 7:34 PM

Pardon my ignorance but I thought the Missions were triple A - Pacific Coast League. If not what happened?

Old Posted Aug 7, 2023, 7:47 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoes View Post
Pardon my ignorance but I thought the Missions were triple A - Pacific Coast League. If not what happened?
Maybe there is one, but the San Antonio Missions are a AA team.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Antonio_Missions

I was talking about converting the IOTC into an arena for the Spurs though. It's confusing when we're simultaneously talking about both the Spurs and Missions in one thread.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2023, 4:24 PM
JACKinBeantown

"City emails, texts show conversations and meetings surrounding potential ‘downtown’ arena for Spurs"
- KSAT

Story contains text and video.

https://www.ksat.com/news/local/2023...ena-for-spurs/

Old Posted Nov 16, 2023, 5:56 AM

What are the forums thoughts on total demolition of the Alamodome? This article from August got me to wondering...

Quote:
Report: NCAA passes over San Antonio's Alamodome for 2031 Final Four
from the San Antonio Report

"The curtain call for the Alamodome could be on the horizon, according to Fox 29, which reports that NCAA sources said the site isn't a finalist to hold the 2031 Men's Final Four Basketball Tournament.

Despite $109 million in capital improvements to the aging dome through 2028, NCAA officials are reportedly exploring newer arenas with more modern facilities, sources told Fox 29's Zack Hedrick.

Alamodome officials were unavailable for immediate comment on the report.

The Alamodome, which would be 38 years old in 2031, has hosted the Men's Final Four a total of four times since opening in 1993. It's also scheduled to host the Men's Final Four in 2025 and the women's in 2029.

However, those tournaments could be the stadiums' last — if it's true the NCAA is looking for newer facilities. Pro sports stadiums typically have lifespans of 20 to 30 years, according to analysts. That means some would consider the Alamodome — built to host an NFL team that never came — past its prime.

Although underutilized for a good part of its life, the Alamodome appears to have hit its stride recently. Nearly 1 million attendees passing through its doors between January 2022 and February 2023, as previously reported by the Current.

Fox 29's report comes as city leaders and Spurs Sports & Entertainment officials engage in active discussions about building a pro sports district to reenergize San Antonio's center city. Some have speculated a Spurs arena would fit well near or on the site of the Alamodome."
By comparison, the Astrodome was open for 41 years (1965-2006).

Old Posted Nov 16, 2023, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritofSeguin View Post
What are the forums thoughts on total demolition of the Alamodome? This article from August got me to wondering...

By comparison, the Astrodome was open for 41 years (1965-2006).
I've always kind of liked the Alamodome tbh. I wonder if they'd actually tear it down. Seems like it would be a loss to the city because we'd lose a venue for huge stadium tours and I guess UTSA would have to build a football stadium.

I think a sleeper spot for a new Spurs stadium is the huge lot behind the Alamo next to the Rivercenter garage. Close to all the restaurants/bars on Broadway/N Alamo and walking distance to hotels/the riverwalk. I don't think an NBA arena would be tall enough to cast a shadow on the Alamo either lol.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2023, 12:30 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by theOGalexd View Post
I've always kind of liked the Alamodome tbh. I wonder if they'd actually tear it down. Seems like it would be a loss to the city because we'd lose a venue for huge stadium tours and I guess UTSA would have to build a football stadium.

I think a sleeper spot for a new Spurs stadium is the huge lot behind the Alamo next to the Rivercenter garage. Close to all the restaurants/bars on Broadway/N Alamo and walking distance to hotels/the riverwalk. I don't think an NBA arena would be tall enough to cast a shadow on the Alamo either lol.
I've always thought that block would be a good place for a city park. But a basketball arena would fit too. And if it were built partially below ground like the Moody Center in Austin, it would absolutely not be visible from in front of the Alamo.

As for the Alamodome, a basketball arena would fit there too, as many on this forum have said. I'd rather build it there and leave the block behind the Alamo for something more public, such as a park. And don't demo the Alamodome; it's being used, just not for an NFL team. If I remember correctly, citizens voted in favor of a 1/2-cent sales tax increase (or something like that) to help fund it in the hopes that it would help draw an NFL team. It would be utterly foolish to fall into that folly again ("fool me once..."). Only build a new stadium if there is a definite reason and with financial support from the team that would profit from using it.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2023, 9:23 PM

https://sanantonioreport.org/mccombs...urs-investors/

I think the timing seems to be on par with a downtown arena district. I believe, if someone could mention, which parcel of land the McCoy estate owns downtown. I think it would be smart for them to "donate" the land and keep the Spurs/Missions in San Antonio for the next 50 years.

Thoughts?

Old Posted Feb 7, 2024, 3:43 AM
TEXAS BORN AND RAISED

Hemisfair sports & entertainment district

CONCEPTUAL IDEA FOR A DOWNTOWN SPORTS AND ENTERTAINMENT DISTRICT AT HEMISFAIR.

OPEN TO HEAR EVERYONE'S THOUGHTS ON THIS.

PLEASE SHARE AND COMMENT THIS IDEA SO MAYBE OUR CITY LEADERS CAN THINK ABOUT THIS POSSIBILITY.

WILL CONTINUE TO WORK ON THIS IDEA IN THE COMMING MONTHS:

Old Posted Feb 7, 2024, 6:58 AM

I think all the land east of the Tower of the Americas is fair game. Using land west of the tower would be difficult to impossible. Just try getting the Feds out of their office building, for one thing, also there would be much pushback against destroying or moving any of the other buildings. I'm intrigued by the idea of a riverwalk extension, but not the way you portray it. For one thing, the land keeps rising the farther east you go, meaning the river would be in a very deep ditch. But if there were buildings closely along each bank, like in most of the downtown area, it would be okay, and would also make the riverwalk much more lively, and not like the original Hemisfair extension. It was a huge mistake to just build walls along the extension and not buildings.

I think it would be better if the arena was in the footprint of the ITC site and the baseball stadium was in the south parking lot of the Alamodome, assuming the Alamodome isn't demolished, which I think is possible. In that case it's back to the drawing board.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2024, 6:07 PM
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keegan-B-SATX View Post
CONCEPTUAL IDEA FOR A DOWNTOWN SPORTS AND ENTERTAINMENT DISTRICT AT HEMISFAIR.

OPEN TO HEAR EVERYONE'S THOUGHTS ON THIS.

PLEASE SHARE AND COMMENT THIS IDEA SO MAYBE OUR CITY LEADERS CAN THINK ABOUT THIS POSSIBILITY.

WILL CONTINUE TO WORK ON THIS IDEA IN THE COMMING MONTHS:
Honestly, this is a slay. I would LOVE this idea. However, I would prefer the baseball stadium by the Alamodome. It's just a personal preference because this is an amazing mockup.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2024, 8:32 PM

This is awesome. I just cant get my hopes up about this.

I love the idea of a Texas Live. I do think SA needs something like that.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2024, 8:57 PM

And here we...... go!

https://www.expressnews.com/business...r-18681873.php

The Spurs’ search for a downtown location for a new arena took a step forward Thursday when the University of Texas Board of Regents conditionally approved a plan to lease or sell the Institute of Texan Cultures property to the city of San Antonio.

The board didn’t discuss the move in public, but the agenda for its meeting said the transaction was for a “potential downtown revitalization project” at the roughly 13.5-acre site at 801 E. César E. Chávez Blvd. The project is likely a Spurs arena, which the city has been working quietly since last year to relocate from its longtime East Side arena.

Such a move would bring the team back to Hemisfair, its home for its first 20 seasons from 1973 to 1993, and be the capstone of the city’s yearslong transformation of the site of the 1968 World’s Fair into a gathering place with lush public parks, restaurants, apartments, a hotel and stores. It would also be part of an effort to reinvigorate the downtown area, which has struggled in the wake of the pandemic.

It would mean a new location for the Institute of Texan Cultures, too. The University of Texas at San Antonio, which owns the museum, has been considering moving it to a new building near the Alamo and selling or leasing its current location.

The Board of Regents unanimously approved granting the city the exclusive option to buy or lease the property after discussing the item in executive session — which is not open to the public. UTSA spokesperson Joe Izbrand declined to address questions about the nature of the revitalization project and the rent or sale price.

“This action advances our due diligence process as we continue to evaluate feasible scenarios for the future of the ITC museum,” he said. “It gives us the flexibility to engage in conversations with the city of San Antonio without delay, given the UT System Board of Regents does not meet again until May.”

Last fall, UTSA entered into a memorandum of understanding with Crockett Hotel owner 1859 Historic Hotels Ltd. and the city to evaluate the feasibility of constructing an 80,000-square-foot building for the museum on a parking lot behind the hotel.

The location near the Alamo, River Walk and the future Alamo Visitor Center and Museum is expected to generate far more foot traffic for the struggling museum, which has faced declining attendance. University leaders have said that’s the most cost-effective option for the institute and gives them flexibility for uses of the current location.

While relocation of the institute is considered the most favorable option, UTSA leaders have said they are also considering other scenarios, such as moving the museum to another location at Hemisfair, moving it to properties the university owns elsewhere downtown, or renovating its original 1968 facility.

The 180,000-square-foot building the institute occupies was originally known as the Texas Pavilion and constructed to showcase Texas’ diverse history and cultures during the fair. The institute has been neglected in the years since, with some describing its exhibits as dated and shopworn, the building’s infrastructure deteriorating and a location that is difficult to access from other downtown attractions.

University leaders have said the process of studying archaeological and soil conditions at the Alamo site and the costs of leasing or buying the land and building a new facility for the museum is expected to wrap up this spring.

But a new option for the institute’s property arose last year: as a location for a new arena for the Spurs. The team currently plays at the Frost Bank Center on the East Side. The circa-2002 arena is owned by Bexar County and, according to many, no longer stacks up against rivals’ facilities.

The San Antonio Missions baseball team, which was purchased by a group of local owners in 2022, also is eyeing relocating from the West Side to the center city. The group is under pressure from Major League Baseball to make improvements to Wolff Stadium to bring it in line with new league standards or build a new facility.

According to sources familiar with the matter, a city official discouraged the Missions’ owners last year from pursuing the institute site as a location for a new ballpark, likely because City Hall was contemplating it as a new home for the Spurs.

Some preservationists are loathe to see the Texas Pavilion building demolished.

The Conservation Society of San Antonio nominated the building for placement on the National Register last year, arguing it’s worthy because of its connection to the World’s Fair and its brutalist architecture. UTSA opposed the nomination.

In January, the Texas Historical Commission’s State Review Board deemed the building eligible for listing on the National Register of Historic Places. But under federal law, if an owner objects to a building being placed on the National Register, it is not listed, and listing on the Register also would not protect it from being razed, Conservation Society leaders have said.

The Spurs, the city and Bexar County Judge Peter Sakai did not immediately respond to inquiries Thursday morning.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 2:09 AM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Wild, they just said yesterday in SA Report they were doing a mixed use thing! Great news though, 10/10 location, let's do it.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2024, 6:24 PM

Absolutely love this layout. I have been wanting the riverwalk to be extended since I was teenager. If all this happens I would be glad to say San Antonio has finally joined big city status in the USA. Sadly as everyone knows that never is the case and we always podunk everything. I'm still mad about the 29 story buiding in Hemisfair being canceled for a basic 10 story apartment building. All we can do is hope and dream but this layout is a start. Next and I'm not joking we need to bring back the Hemisfair monorail, or a new modern monorail that connects all the stadiums to parking garages and loops around towards rivercenter mall area. I was in Seattle last week and they still have there monorail from the world fair connecting downtown Seattle to the Space Needle park area.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2024, 4:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Model View Post
Next and I'm not joking we need to bring back the Hemisfair monorail, or a new modern monorail that connects all the stadiums to parking garages and loops around towards rivercenter mall area. I was in Seattle last week and they still have there monorail from the world fair connecting downtown Seattle to the Space Needle park area.
That would be a lot of fun and should go across 37 and connect to the Alamodome.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio