HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Feb 28, 2014, 4:44 AM
Hindrance to Development

Sounds like they're restarting the plan they had in 2007 or so, now that the new SRO-replacement housing at 7th and H is open. Not sure if closing the Marshall will make all that much difference--closing the Greyhound depot was to make that corner yuppie friendly a couple years ago, and it doesn't seem to have helped much.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2014, 7:25 AM
Here we stAy

L Street is just bleak in general. Too many gaps in active storefronts/street-level activities. Looking forward to see how the arena will help to correct this issue.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2014, 4:48 PM

New hotel, 17 floors on the nastiest corner in downtown?

Wow!!!

This is the first news that made me jump out of my chair. It's also early enough in the economic recovery that this might actually get done before the next big bubble.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2014, 5:20 PM

The concept drawings from a few years ago showed that they planned to take down the adjacent Jade Apartment building and sort of merge over the top of the Marshall.

Not sure how I like the hop-on-top approach.

Last edited by jbradway; Feb 28, 2014 at 7:02 PM. Reason: Added better picture

Old Posted Mar 1, 2014, 5:21 AM
Here we stAy

I don't mind it at all if the architecture is done right, i.e. the second rendering over the first. I'm sure it's also the only way the project would pencil out too.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2014, 3:39 PM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltsmotorsport View Post
I don't mind it at all if the architecture is done right, i.e. the second rendering over the first. I'm sure it's also the only way the project would pencil out too.

I'm not a fan of the first design. That Tower doesn't look good with the building.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2014, 3:43 PM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
Sounds like they're restarting the plan they had in 2007 or so, now that the new SRO-replacement housing at 7th and H is open. Not sure if closing the Marshall will make all that much difference--closing the Greyhound depot was to make that corner yuppie friendly a couple years ago, and it doesn't seem to have helped much.

I live up the street and I see a huge difference around the GH Depot; the drug dealers are gone (or have relocated). I wish they would have opened up that depot though for a Farmers Market.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2014, 5:58 PM
Hindrance to Development

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_encounter View Post
I live up the street and I see a huge difference around the GH Depot; the drug dealers are gone (or have relocated). I wish they would have opened up that depot though for a Farmers Market.
Yes indeed--that's a fantastic spot for a mid-sized market. Put the more grocery-store type items inside the depot, and use the parking area for market stalls during the weekend (or full-time, if it brings more revenue than its current use as a parking lot.) And build a residential tower on the gravel lot on the alley side that used to be the Royal Hotel (a place so rough it made the Marshall look fancy.)

Old Posted Mar 5, 2014, 2:59 AM

Most certainly those renderings would not be official. They were drawn up by an architectural firm several years ago only as an investment marketing tool.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2014, 5:06 PM

It's one of the great looking buildings in the area, demolition would be a huge mistake. I think it would a cool contrast to the arena.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozone View Post
Most certainly those renderings would not be official. They were drawn up by an architectural firm several years ago only as an investment marketing tool.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2014, 8:43 PM

I happen to like both renderings. They both maintain the architectural history at ground level and complement it on the higher floors...albeit, in different ways. I think it's a matter of preference and opinion. Not everyone is always going to see these things the same.

Last edited by creamcityleo79; Mar 5, 2014 at 8:45 PM. Reason: clarifying

Old Posted Mar 6, 2014, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ozo View Post
It's one of the great looking buildings in the area, demolition would be a huge mistake. I think it would a cool contrast to the arena.
They cannot tear it down. The Marshall is listed as a landmark in the Sacramento Historical Register.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 8:27 AM

Has anyone else heard about Whole Foods looking to put a store in Midtown? Not that it's big news in terms of a building going up (though maybe it would be coincide with a modest 4-5 story building), but it is good in terms of a much needed amenity for residents on the grid. There aren't many options when it comes to grocery downtown, so this would be just another amenity that could promote/attract more residents/businesses.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 3:55 PM
Hindrance to Development

There have been a few rumors about locations but nothing concrete. More interested in the relocation of the Co-Op to a new facility on R and 28th. Midtown is actually pretty well set for grocery stores, given its population--what we really need is a downtown supermarket, something west of 15th Street.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 5:49 PM
CHACUN SON GOÛT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAGeoNerd View Post
Has anyone else heard about Whole Foods looking to put a store in Midtown? Not that it's big news in terms of a building going up (though maybe it would be coincide with a modest 4-5 story building), but it is good in terms of a much needed amenity for residents on the grid. There aren't many options when it comes to grocery downtown, so this would be just another amenity that could promote/attract more residents/businesses.
I'd rather have a Nugget Market, locally owned, and better quality.

Last I heard re: Whole Foods, texas corporate giant, wants to build on the lot where the 2-story garage is located across from the deco-inspired 2020 L Street building. The garage shares the alley with Faces nightclub.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2014, 12:57 AM

"A real estate investment firm from Beverly Hills said Wednesday it will build two, 25-story apartment towers, the tallest residential buildings in the region, as well as mid-rise apartments, condominiums and perhaps a boutique hotel in a quiet residential area off Capitol Mall in downtown Sacramento."

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2014/03/26/627...#storylink=cpy

Old Posted Mar 27, 2014, 2:10 AM

Ah-mazing!!! I mean, it's not 106 net stories. But, it IS 50 net stories and it is NOT a hole in the ground! So happy for Sacramento (if this comes to fruition)! Edit: I think I read this incorrectly as being at the Towers site. Even still, excellent news!!!

Last edited by creamcityleo79; Mar 27, 2014 at 2:25 AM.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2014, 2:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NME22 View Post
"A real estate investment firm from Beverly Hills said Wednesday it will build two, 25-story apartment towers, the tallest residential buildings in the region, as well as mid-rise apartments, condominiums and perhaps a boutique hotel in a quiet residential area off Capitol Mall in downtown Sacramento."

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2014/03/26/627...#storylink=cpy
With the Arena starting construction this year, I'm surprised developers aren't running for the hills since the Arena will attract drug dealers, bums, and minorities.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2014, 2:55 AM
Megalonorcal 11M~

I'm guessing 285ft? Not too bad.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2014, 4:53 AM

Sounds like some NIMBY complaints on their way, specifically from the residents adjacent.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area