HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdreamz View Post
^ LivingIn622 where is Florida in your state count?
I'm sorry I must have accendentaly not put Florida on the list. The number of buildings for Florida is 432. I put Florida on the list after I edited the post. florida ranks 7th.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2007, 4:22 PM

LOL - the point is anyone can concoct any list they want to skew their city a little higher than the next. New York and Chicago stand alone in any list. The rest of the top tiers, Houston, Dallas, Miami, Atlanta, SF, Seattle, you can put in a bag and shake em up and not tell much difference driving through.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2007, 10:47 PM
Stay Thirsty.

And Denver

BTW...we have 3 more 35+ towers going up as we speak, putting us to 12 in that count.

Spire- 41 stories, 525 feet
Four Seasons- 45 stories, 635 feet
1401 Lawrence- 51 Stories, 625 feet

AND, two more planned:

Tabor II- 40 Stories, 517 feet
1100 15th Street- 42 Stories, 540 feet

Last edited by FrancoRey; Oct 26, 2007 at 11:30 PM.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2007, 12:21 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by APPRAISER View Post
One thing I have noted about New York, is that, YES, New York has more 12+ highrises than any other U.S. city, but there are a lot of old 12 to 20 story buildings that contribute to that total.
New York, however has a ton of 500'+ buildings.
Chicago on the other hand has many very tall buildings in the city, but alot less 12-20 story buildings than New York.
One of the reasons I prefer the height list than just number of stories. As I've said, 500 ft is just a random number, but its a clearer indication of taller towers. In New York, there are relatively few neighborhoods where you can build tall towers at all, where as a place like Hong Kong has highrises going up all over the place. You don't have the opposition that can halt highrises there as you would have in the US, so it doesn't really compare.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2007, 12:24 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dralcoffin View Post
I decided to create my own list, based on SSP's diagrams, ordered by official height and including built and UC buildings.

Cities ranked by number of buildings over 350 feet. (roughly 25-30 stories)

New York (of course)......552
Chicago........................243
Jersey City.....................20
Lookout, here comes Jersey City!....

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2007, 4:35 AM
BeenThere,DoneThat

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A loose convention in the United States now draws the lower limit of a "skyscraper" at 150 meters (500 ft). A skyscraper taller than 300 meters (984 ft) may be referred to as supertall. In the United States, the supertall convention is 100 stories, which is equal to 1,000 feet. Shorter buildings are still sometimes referred to as skyscrapers if they appear to dominate their surroundings.

The somewhat arbitrary term skyscraper should not be confused with the slightly less arbitrary term highrise, defined by the Emporis Standards Committee as "A high-rise building is a multi-story structure with at least 12 floors or 35 meters (115 feet) in height."

Old Posted Nov 5, 2007, 4:25 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Sadly, Emporis is a better source for this type of stuff.
Not for long...

Old Posted Nov 5, 2007, 5:26 PM
Philadelphia

I wouldn't doubt by using the 12-floor metric that a lot of cities would beat out Philadelphia. There are very few buildings outside of Center City that are more than 6 storeys let alone 12. And even then at least half of Center City is in the 3-6 storey range. Really, outside of CC i think it's just a few dorms and some hospital buildings in University City, a few buildings/hospitals along North Broad and one at the corner of Chelten and Germantown Ave.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2007, 6:23 PM
Stay Thirsty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newboldphilly View Post
I wouldn't doubt by using the 12-floor metric that a lot of cities would beat out Philadelphia. There are very few buildings outside of Center City that are more than 6 storeys let alone 12. And even then at least half of Center City is in the 3-6 storey range. Really, outside of CC i think it's just a few dorms and some hospital buildings in University City, a few buildings/hospitals along North Broad and one at the corner of Chelten and Germantown Ave.
Thank you, William Penn's hat.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2007, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
I always prefer the height list. For example, buildings 500 ft and above. I think that tells a greater story, and you cut off the housing projects, unlike the 12 story lists.
That completely takes FAA height limited cities like San Diego out of the discussion.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2007, 2:55 AM
Beer Stampede

This might seem kind of stupid, but even after all of this discusson of what classifies as a skyscraper and what doesn't, I'm still left hanging.

To make my point, back in the late 1800s' early 1900s' a 10 story building was nothing short of an accomplishment. Kansas City has a bunch of these buildings although more of them were built after that. In the 20s' and 30s' that barrier was shattered when the Empire State Building was built at over 1300 feet. Today, we are seeing proposals of buildings all over the world that are passing 2000 - 3000 feet. It seemed like a while back I saw something proposed in Dubai that could exceed a mile in height. I could be wrong.

The question I ask is: Are the skyscrapers from the turn of the 20th century no longer skyscrapers? If we see those ludacris proposels come to pass in the future, and we see a lot of them, What will that make a skyscraper of 500 feet?

I enjoy the comments.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2007, 11:24 PM
them bones

I *still* like 500'. Simply due to the fact that there still aren't that many cities with buildings that tall. There really aren't. And the only cities in the US that aren't in that club but would be absent height limits are Honolulu, Phoenix and San Diego (SD has 1, but would have many many more if not for Lindbergh).

A 500' office building is massive and a 500' residential tower goes a little beyond your run-of-the-mill housing project.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2007, 12:16 AM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In the United States, the supertall convention is 100 stories, which is equal to 1,000 feet.
actually, most thousand footers have between 65-80 stories. a few hotels that tall may have more due to lover ceiling heights.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2007, 12:25 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Maybe 700' is the new 500'?

Here's a list i put together from the Emporis database of American cities with at least one 700+ footer:

black = completed
red = under construction

New York      **************************************** = 40
Chicago ********************* = 21
Houston ********** = 10
Los Angeles ******** = 8
Atlanta ***** = 5
Dallas ***** = 5
Philly ***** = 5
Miami ***** = 5
Seattle **** = 4
Minneapolis *** = 3
Boston ** = 2
Cleveland ** = 2
Denver ** = 2
Pittsburgh ** = 2
San Francisco ** = 2
Charlotte ** = 2
Detroit * = 1
Indianapolis * = 1
Jersey City * = 1
Mobile * = 1
Las Vegas * = 1

not surprisingly, construction of America's very tallest buildings really is concentrated in New York & Chicago right now, the two cities combining for 73% of the 700+ footers currently under construction in the nation.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Nov 16, 2007 at 9:03 PM.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2007, 1:12 AM
Beer Stampede

I guess it's all in one's perspective as well. If you live in Chicago, New York, or Hong Kong, a building 500 feet tall would probably not get a second look, let alone a 150' / 10 story building. However, if you live in Topeka, St.Joseph, or Grand Island, a 150' / 10 story building might be a lot more significant.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2007, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
Maybe 700' is the new 500'?

Here's a list i put together from the Emporis database of American cities with at least one 700+ footer:

black = completed
red = under construction

New York      **************************************** = 40
Chicago ********************* = 21
Houston ********** = 10
Los Angeles ******** = 8
Atlanta ***** = 5
Dallas ***** = 5
Philly ***** = 5
Miami ***** = 5
Seattle **** = 4
Minneapolis *** = 3
Boston ** = 2
Cleveland ** = 2
Denver ** = 2
Pittsburgh ** = 2
San Francisco ** = 2
Charlotte ** = 2
Detroit * = 1
Indianapolis * = 1
Jersey City * = 1
Mobile * = 1
Las Vegas * = 1

not surprisingly, construction of America's very tallest buildings really is concentrated in New York & Chicago right now, the two cities combining for 73% of the 700+ footers currently under construction in the nation.
Yes but using 700 foot really diminishes a city's impact. Atlanta would jump to over 30 buildings if you used a 500' minimum. I'm sure other cities would grow too.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2007, 8:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasticman View Post
Yes but using 700 foot really diminishes a city's impact. Atlanta would jump to over 30 buildings if you used a 500' minimum. I'm sure other cities would grow too.
According to Emporis Atlanta has 12 completed buildings over 500 feet with another 2 under construction ( Soveriegns & Mansions on Peachtree). Are there another 16+ buildings over 500 feet U/C in Atlanta that we don't know about?

Old Posted Nov 21, 2007, 4:41 PM

kcexpress69 - I guess it's all in one's perspective as well.

You're absolutely right. . . in fact it's also based upon an individual's DEFINITION. . . so there's no right or wrong answer to what defines a "skyscraper". . . Emporis uses the 12 floor rule. . . others use a 500 foot mark. . . some people are inclined to include non-traditional buildings such as CN Tower in their definition, and there's no doubt if you were standing at the foot of the Brooklyn Bridge that you would be so inclined as to consider that structure as a "skyscraper" as well. . . so yeah. . . there's no right or wrong answer. . . in fact, the more you delve into the details as to how one measures a building, the more you realize how absurd and trivial it gets. . . numbers games are fun, but they're merely academic. . . sometimes we get so obsessed with the numbers game that it ceases to become fun and turns into a childish squabble. . . much like a long game of Risk might turn into at 4 in the morning after large amounts of whiskey have been consumed by a group of childhood friends. . . and there's always the one guy pouring over the rules book to referree the ensuing - and no doubt game ending - turn that is about to take place. . .

so I hope I answered your question. . . or at least gave you some perspective on the subject

. . .

Old Posted Nov 30, 2007, 2:07 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeLV View Post
That completely takes FAA height limited cities like San Diego out of the discussion.
I don't see how that's relevant.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2007, 2:08 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by plinko View Post
I *still* like 500'. Simply due to the fact that there still aren't that many cities with buildings that tall. There really aren't. And the only cities in the US that aren't in that club but would be absent height limits are Honolulu, Phoenix and San Diego (SD has 1, but would have many many more if not for Lindbergh).

A 500' office building is massive and a 500' residential tower goes a little beyond your run-of-the-mill housing project.

That's true. I like that number. It separates the "pretenders" from the Big Boys...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture