HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 5, 2013, 7:43 PM

Smile Colorado Tower

Looks like the crane is going up at Colorado Tower (Friday 2:30 pm).

Old Posted Jul 6, 2013, 3:45 AM
Meh

I would hate to see a twin to the Austonian.

And they're definitely putting up the crane this weekend at the Colorado Tower. They had that monster crawler crane at the site today. Also they've started the foundations.

Last edited by KevinFromTexas; Jul 6, 2013 at 4:01 AM.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2013, 3:50 AM
Ex Houstonian

A second Austonian? Whered you hear about this?

Old Posted Jul 6, 2013, 3:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I would hate to see a twin to the Austonian.

And they're definitely putting up the crane this weekend at the Colorado Tower. They had that monster crawler crane at the site today.
I wouldn't mind another tall slender tower like the Austonian, just not an exact replica.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2013, 4:02 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
A second Austonian? Whered you hear about this?
It was just a rumor from a few years ago, and then this week one of the forumers said he heard there's a large project planned at 3rd & Congress. If there is something planned, they've been real quiet about it.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2013, 4:19 AM

4th of July -- Austin -- Spring Rooftop

Old Posted Jul 6, 2013, 5:35 AM
Meh

Spring has good views. Man, I wish they could get rid of that substation north of Seaholm. And the Austin Energy site is fugly compared to the surrounding area. I was in that area of downtown today on my bike, and there were people out walking everywhere. Walking their dog, jogging and riding their bikes. It's a neighborhood now. I can only imagine what Seaholm, Green, the Austin Energy site, plus the 2nd Gables apartment tower will add. And the central library.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2013, 6:55 AM

Quote:
Spring has good views. Man, I wish they could get rid of that substation north of Seaholm. And the Austin Energy site is fugly compared to the surrounding area. I was in that area of downtown today on my bike, and there were people out walking everywhere. Walking their dog, jogging and riding their bikes. It's a neighborhood now. I can only imagine what Seaholm, Green, the Austin Energy site, plus the 2nd Gables apartment tower will add. And the central library.
Yeah, Seaholm has indeed blossomed into a great downtown neighborhood. Don't forget The Bowie! I've said it before, but I think that will be one of our best looking residential towers!

Old Posted Jul 6, 2013, 7:47 PM
Meh

Ha, I did forget it. Hopefully the project across the river at the Taco Cabana gets approved, too. That will likely add to the Seaholm area with all the foot traffic. And there's also the Waller Creek Walk tower.

Also I noticed yesterday they were demolishing the little building next to 360 Condos. Anyone know what they're doing there? I snapped a pic. They have it halfway demolished.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2013, 8:58 PM

Not to mention, all of the new roads and bridges they'll be building around there. That new connectivity, I think, will make such a huge difference. Right now, you can't get to (or around) those areas very easily. I can't wait until all of that's done. It's going to make Austin feel like such a different city.

By the way, they've got the crane tower up at the Colorado Tower site. Things are starting to get serious.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2013, 9:52 PM

Quote:
Ha, I did forget it. Hopefully the project across the river at the Taco Cabana gets approved, too. That will likely add to the Seaholm area with all the foot traffic. And there's also the Waller Creek Walk tower.

Also I noticed yesterday they were demolishing the little building next to 360 Condos. Anyone know what they're doing there? I snapped a pic. They have it halfway demolished.
The project next to 360 will be Cirrus Logic's new project test building. It will be 4 stories I believe

Old Posted Jul 7, 2013, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
I wouldn't mind another tall slender tower like the Austonian, just not an exact replica.
I would like to see a 60+ story Frost as a mixed use tower; some condos with balconies, a small hotel and offices. Add an observation deck and high (up) dining! A taller version of the Frost is a twin I want to see in Austin.

Last edited by AusTex; Jul 7, 2013 at 4:46 PM. Reason: I upped the story count...50+ was too short!

Old Posted Jul 7, 2013, 7:10 PM

Apparently, MACC is whining about a Waller Creek bridge now.

http://austin.ynn.com/content/top_st...e-macc-parking

Old Posted Jul 7, 2013, 8:30 PM
Meh

Lame. They sure are concerned with their issues without much consideration of anyone else's. They should have built that museum along some highway somewhere. Also I think it's laughable to assume patrons to the museum who are so concerned about their precious parking lot would agree to walk all the way across the bridge across the river anyway. They have a suburban mindset of "me, me, me" and where's my parking lot?

Old Posted Jul 7, 2013, 9:49 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

The MACC is stupid. The pontoon bridge idea is stupid.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2013, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
One does not ask for a specific SF...they ask for the proper FAR to allow for the desired SF. In this case, if they are truly asking for a FAR of 12-1, then the max SF on this property is just under 710,000 SF.
If you look at that one line that says 1,472,000 SF of office space, and subtract the 706,560 SF they asked for on the other page, and then subtract the 58,880 SF of retail, you're left with 706,560. Looks to me like they added the office SF twice and added in the retail and put that amount on one of the lines of that one page that's supposed to just show the office SF.

I guess technically, they could ask for a FAR of 24-1; the maximum in that area is 25-1 according to page 2 of this map

Quote:
I would not be surprised if the city is inundated with "final" CURE requests before the bullish#t density bonus program kicks in.

Hell, if I owned a developable piece of property downtown, I'd be going through the same process...get the highest density possible for my piece of land.

Over the coming months it is going to be interesting to see how the values of properties fluctuate with the implementation of the required density bonus plan. Due to the possible increased cost in developing a piece of CBD real estate, the values may decrease unless already zoned CURE or some other grandfathered higher level of density.
I think it depends on the type of project being proposed. If it's a non-residential development like an office, a hotel or retail, I'm not even sure if the developer has to pay very much (if any) in public benefits for extra SF.

This is the study that the firm hired by the City to craft the Downtown Density Bonus program and regarding non-residential developments, it says:

Quote:
Non- Residential Uses:

HR&A’s economic analysis of the development and ownership of
non-residential uses in Downtown found that the development of additional floor area beyond the as-of-right zoning for non-residential buildings does not provide adequate incremental returns at this time to allow for a fee-in-lieu payment to be paid by a developer to the City. As a result, HR&A recommends that the fee be set at $0 per square foot of bonused floor area on non-residential development in all Downtown districts.
And:

Quote:
Commercial and hotel development does not support a fee-in-lieu.

At this time, commercial development does not produce sufficiently high incremental returns on additional building area that could be gained through
a density bonus to justify charging a public benefit fee. Office product does not command sufficiently higher rents for additional density to produce significant incremental value, and hotel programs are not easily amenable to scaling, which would be required to take advantage of bonused areas.

Furthermore, density bonuses that result in a more expensive construction type (i.e., shifting from mid-rise to high-rise) typically do not yield additional returns high enough to justify their usage. In some cases, however, additional density makes a project feasible where it was not feasible under
base zoning. This is particularly the case for commercial (office and hotel) developments outside of the Core and Waterfront districts, which depend on a sufficient density to support the construction of parking. However, the
increased density does not improve project returns to a level sufficient enough to support a fee-in-lieu payment. By providing a bonus without an accompanying public benefit in these cases, the City is incentivizing the commercial development as a goal in and of itself.
The way it's worded, it makes it sound like developers of non-residential projects don't have to provide any public benefits other than complying with the City's Urban Design Guidelines, making streetscape improvements consistent with Great Streets standards, and achieving a minimum two-star rating under the Austin Energy Green Building program.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2013, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyYoda View Post
Even the smaller number is an extremely large amount of space. However, I can't see another office project starting with the other 2 that have broken ground. While the office market is strong, it isn't red hot like the apartment market or soon to be condo market. That seems like a great spot for condos considering the rapidly dwindling supply and no other announced projects. I can't imagine an office building of that size getting off the ground any time soon.
You are right, it won't be soon. CBRE is marketing the Austin Children's Museum building for lease, which as you know is located on the World Class Capital lot that they are trying to get that 1.47M square feet of office building(s) approved. CBRE says in their marketing that the maximum lease term for the museum building is through 2027, which means WCC (or their successor) will agree not to start construction on that part of the land until then. The lot is L-shaped, so they could build in phases if they wanted to start earlier.

Here's the link to CBRE's leasing information: http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/18237...eet-Austin-TX/

Old Posted Jul 10, 2013, 1:51 AM

World Class withdrew the zoning change request: Austin Business Journal

Old Posted Jul 10, 2013, 4:18 AM
Meh

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/bl...lects-dwg.html
Quote:
Jul 9, 2013, 6:00pm CDT
Fairmont Austin developer selects dwg. for landscaping assignment

Jan Buchholz
Staff Writer-
Austin Business Journal

Dwg., an Austin-based landscape architectural firm, has been selected to handle landscaping for the new Fairmont Austin Hotel, which will be built at the northeast corner of Cesar Chavez and Red River streets.

Developer Manchester Financial Group LLC announced the selection Tuesday. Manchester is planning to break ground on the $350 million, 50-story hotel in November with completion by summer 2016.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2013, 4:58 AM
BANNED

Quote:
That's great news. I think we are getting closer to feeling a lot more certain that this project is on track.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations