HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 23, 2013, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
How do you put in a parking basement under an existing building?
Very carefully.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2013, 7:30 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Country View Post
Very carefully.
Touché.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2013, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookem View Post
Wow, the 5th and Brazos proposal is impressive! Hope it happens.

Good base, good massing, good colors. I really like the design of the base and the lower tower most of all, actually. The upper part is kind of generic but with the height and color it works IMO. It seems to share some characteristics with the W in uptown Dallas, except the top part is not as exciting... but hey, it's significantly taller (the Dallas W is only 33 floors).

So this is the latest version of the design for the newly announced building on 5th and Brazos? Am I counting right, that it's 32 floors? I guess it's not final, this is still just a rendering?

Last edited by Kotliz; Aug 23, 2013 at 10:22 PM.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2013, 10:10 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
That's a rendering of the finished W Hotel and Residences in Dallas, Kotlitz, that was being compared to the proposal at 5th and Brazos.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2013, 10:11 PM

Yes, that's the W in Dallas. Everyone should keep in mind that this project hasn't even been officially announced by the developer yet.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2013, 12:12 AM

Shonda Novak, AAS: Up to 50-story tower planned at Fifth and Brazos

Up to 50-story tower planned at Fifth and Brazos:

http://www.mystatesman.com/news/busi...-brazos/nZbNh/

Old Posted Aug 24, 2013, 1:37 AM

Besides Fairmont, Block 1 is going the make the biggest impact on the skyline from this angle. It will pretty much cover up the Ashton, but one good thing about it is that, with it's gradation, it may still offer some views of 100 Congress and the top of 1 Congress Plaza. The rest of the buildings will just make the skyline look fuller. Colorado Tower will (mercifully) block 301 Congress, The Bowie will make The Monarch's fatness less pronounced, and 7Rio will (mercifully) hide 700 Lavaca.

But, man, Austin's beautiful. And it's only getting prettier. It's gonna seem like a huge city after these next few buildings are done.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2013, 2:29 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
That's a rendering of the finished W Hotel and Residences in Dallas, Kotlitz, that was being compared to the proposal at 5th and Brazos.
Thanks for the clarification Wwmiv. I kind of like the design proposed, except that, yeah, the tower is very repetitive and kind-of dull. Something like a light-colored Austin W in it's place may look neat. I think the plinth, (or what do they call that part that the rest of the building stands on--that has the pool and all) really adds a lot.

Hey, for those who don't care for the design, at least it's not brown!!

Old Posted Aug 24, 2013, 2:43 AM
Meh

Also the lowly Hotel Van Zandt will make a fairly noticeable impact there being located immediately north of The Shore. It'll more or less fill the gap between The Shore and the Four Seasons Hotel and the rest of the pack north of the river. If we get more buildings south of The Shore between it and Austin Skyhouse, the Rainey Street area is going to fill in the southern end of the skyline; and the "south shore" skyline will no longer be distinguishable as a separate skyline. And not to mention the Fairmont will sit kind of in the middle of that area. And then there's the Waller Center development. If that happens it's going to shift the focal point of the skyline farther south in this view. And it's crazy to think that with that view we'll be hiding two 500 footers on the skyline. Frost Bank Tower is already hidden behind Spring and this new 5th & Brazos tower will be mostly hidden behind The Bowie. I'm also curious to see what the JW Marriott will do to that view. I'm betting its width will straddle the W and The Austonian and be about level with the roof of One Congress Plaza. Shoal Creek Walk/Whole Foods expansion tower will also stick up nicely here just on the other side of the first Whole Foods building on the left.

And I was also thinking there are going to be some buildings going up in downtown that we won't even see in this view. The 5th & Colorado office tower and Hotel ZaZa will both pretty much be completely hidden. And Hotel ZaZa is a 305 foot building. From this angle, it'll pretty much be exactly behind Spring.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2013, 3:26 AM

The skyline will look radically different from every angle (especially from the east and west), almost like a different city. It's a shame that East Austin doesn't have hills comparable to those in West Austin to view the city from.

As far as this view goes, the Green office building, Seaholm, and the Energy Control buildings (if they ever happen) will be in front of the Austonian giving the skyline layers (at least 5), so that the Austonian doesn't stand out by itself so much.

7Rio will do more than any other building to stretch the skyline out to the north. The raft of buildings along 5th street won't hurt, either.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2013, 9:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndic View Post
The skyline will look radically different from every angle (especially from the east and west), almost like a different city. It's a shame that East Austin doesn't have hills comparable to those in West Austin to view the city from.

As far as this view goes, the Green office building, Seaholm, and the Energy Control buildings (if they ever happen) will be in front of the Austonian giving the skyline layers (at least 5), so that the Austonian doesn't stand out by itself so much.

7Rio will do more than any other building to stretch the skyline out to the north. The raft of buildings along 5th street won't hurt, either.
It does. I live off Oltorf east of Pleasant Valley, surprisingly hilly area.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2013, 9:52 AM
Meh

Oh man, there is a monster hill on Oltorf right by Travis High School. And there are some more hilly spots in East Austin along 183. Not to mention the Expo Center which has one of the biggest sweeping views of the city. You can pretty much see the whole city.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2013, 12:20 PM
Everywhere all at once

Quote:
But, man, Austin's beautiful. And it's only getting prettier. It's gonna seem like a huge city after these next few buildings are done.
Isn't it in fact a big city though?

But I agree, it's evolving into another one of America's iconic skylines.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2013, 4:30 PM

It's getting to be an awesome skyline....

I am still hoping that Austin will get a signature tower... like Transamerica in San Francisco or Empire State Building in NYC or Seattle's Space Needle?

I guess we could say our capitol makes it unique.... but I'm hoping for a game changer in the coming years.... A tall, iconic, signature tower or even a cool, architecturally significant supension bridge over I-35 or Mopac...

Old Posted Aug 24, 2013, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC_Longhorn View Post

I am still hoping that Austin will get a signature tower... like Transamerica in San Francisco or Empire State Building in NYC or Seattle's Space Needle?

I guess we could say our capitol makes it unique.... but I'm hoping for a game changer in the coming years.... A tall, iconic, signature tower or even a cool, architecturally significant supension bridge over I-35 or Mopac...
Having a signature bridge over Mopac or I-35 would be pretty cool. Maybe something similar to Dallas.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2013, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC_Longhorn View Post

The county owned block just south of Republic Square has no height limitations and it has been discussed the county might do a public/private partnership. If a real tall signature tower were built on that block it would peak up behind the 360 in the above photo.

NYC_Longhorn you stated "architecturally significant supension bridge over I-35 or Mopac...". I am confused with the term "over". What roadway would go "over" I-35 or Mopac?

Old Posted Aug 24, 2013, 8:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusTex View Post
The county owned block just south of Republic Square has no height limitations and it has been discussed the county might do a public/private partnership. If a real tall signature tower were built on that block it would peak up behind the 360 in the above photo.

NYC_Longhorn you stated "architecturally significant supension bridge over I-35 or Mopac...". I am confused with the term "over". What roadway would go "over" I-35 or Mopac?
Yeah, I wouldn't worry about my grammatacional errors... I'm not very smart... I meant to say it would be cool for something to span I-35 or Mopac... they are thinking of doing something like that over Red Bud Isle.... I just think it would be cool if we had a nice suspension bridge.... Kind of like Boston's Bunker Hill Bridge... it doesn't really traverse much, but it is very cool...

Speaking of Boston... if we sink I-35, that would be our big dig! Also, the Bunker Hill Bridge (or whatever it's called) connects to the Big Dig.
Sinking I-35 would cost 1/1000th of the big dig's cost... hey maybe that's a strong argument!

Anyway.... bridges or a real tall building... or both... that would be great!

Old Posted Aug 24, 2013, 9:21 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Yeah, I've talked about bridges before. A really cool looking one would be an awesome addition.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2013, 9:47 PM

I'm not big on trying to build "iconic" buildings or structures. That often results in someone trying really hard to design something wonky and out of left field. And then no one can do anything about it, because it's already built and after many years the city actually becomes iconicized by the building that most people actually sort of hated. No thanks. Just give me good individual buildings and let the city develop it's image organically. I don't want any one building or structure to stand out more than the others.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2013, 9:53 PM

Quote:
I'm not big on trying to build "iconic" buildings or structures. That often results in someone trying really hard to design something wonky and out of left field. And then no one can do anything about it, because it's already built and after many years the city actually becomes iconicized by the building that most people actually sort of hated. No thanks. Just give me good individual buildings and let the city develop it's image organically. I don't want any one building or structure to stand out more than the others.
Signature buildings or bridges can be really beautiful.... I hear what you are saying about not wanting to have a gigantic eye-sore associated with our city because someone is trying too hard... but I'd love something that sets us apart (in a magnificent way) by someone really talented... I'd like a building like Tower Verre or something... doesn't have to be super tall, just really great. Like the Sydney Opera house... something truly unique.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations