HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 4:52 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Could we agree that the Museum's glass tower successfully evoques, rather than replicates, the original stone tower? The Chateau proposal fails to do this, imho.
Yes. It's like a ghost of what should have been there.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
Yes. It's like a ghost of what should have been there.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 5:47 PM

I have driven by the museum of nature for years on a daily basis. When the glass tower first went up it seemed a little odd to me but now I think it's great. Does it take away from what the building once was? Perhaps. Does it add to what the building is currently being used for? Absolutely.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 6:54 PM

Didn't know some people hated the glass tower at the museum haha.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 8:55 PM

Museum of Nature before the renovations looked terrible. This incomplete stump looked pretty terrible. The tower added something that had been missing for the past nearly a century.

http://lieuxpatrimoniaux.ca/en/rep-r...u.aspx?id=4483

Of course the stone tower might have been better (if re-built with the original materials, no faux-historicism) but that would have been ridiculously expensive due to the poor soil conditions and possibly harmful to the original foundations.

What they have done was hands down the best case scenario.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 9:24 PM

Actually they mitigated the leda clay issue by pumping concrete all around the building so the foundation is quite stabilized. They could have reconstructed the tower if FHBRO had insisted on it and if enough funding was set aside.

If it was the Peace Tower that had foundation problems, I doubt they would dismantle it and replace it with a glass tower. That museum building is probably the next most significant heritage building in the capital after the Parliament Hill triad. Hopefully in the future when the glass box trend wanes, they'll eventually put the stone tower back.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 9:48 PM

Just for kicks (and a bit of practice on SketchUp), I dropped in a modified model of NYC's Plaza Hotel (minus wings and a few storeys) just to see what a taller chateauesque building might look like as an addition.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 1:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi View Post
Just for kicks (and a bit of practice on SketchUp), I dropped in a modified model of NYC's Plaza Hotel (minus wings and a few storeys) just to see what a taller chateauesque building might look like as an addition.
Interesting. Even though the architecture is similar, I think would be too big and dwarfs the original structure. I think they need something about half that height. Similar to the Lord Elgin, it needn't have a copper roof as long as you can still see the existing roof from most vantage points.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 1:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818 View Post
Interesting. Even though the architecture is similar, I think would be too big and dwarfs the original structure. I think they need something about half that height. Similar to the Lord Elgin, it needn't have a copper roof as long as you can still see the existing roof from most vantage points.
In the more recent render of the proposal, the view of the existing roof from the park is the proposal's weakest element, imo. My reaction on seeing it was that the addition needed to be taller to hide the peaks from that angle.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 1:51 PM

[QUOTE=Kitchissippi;8151245]Just for kicks (and a bit of practice on SketchUp), I dropped in a modified model of NYC's Plaza Hotel (minus wings and a few storeys) just to see what a taller chateauesque building might look like as an addition.

Sweet rendering bro! I think this illustrates that something along these lines would make a regal addition to the Parliamentary Precint.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa