HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

OneEleven in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jul 27, 2011, 12:06 PM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
It will be interesting to see who they hire as architects.
Wasnt' there a rumor floating around that Related was looking at SOM?

Old Posted Jul 27, 2011, 12:15 PM
BANNED

That would be a disaster for Chicago. A 600 foot tall glass box would be very visible in such a prominent location.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2011, 1:57 PM

Waterview has been sold to Related and they intend to restart construction but it will be 500 apartments and not the full height.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...,4636597.story

Old Posted Jul 27, 2011, 2:00 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
That would be a disaster for Chicago. A 600 foot tall glass box would be very visible in such a prominent location.
first, a 600' glass box actually would NOT be all that visible at this location, except along the main branch river canyon itself.

second, how on earth could you possibly interpret a 30 story concrete hulk that's been slumming up the river canyon for years now being transformed into a 50+ story, activity generating completed building as a disaster for chicago?

Old Posted Jul 27, 2011, 2:30 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by george View Post
5-18

It would be great to see this completed as a vibrant part of the city, rather than a reminder of something undone. I think Related can do it. It will probably have more height than suspected at this point.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2011, 5:15 PM

^Vibrant part of the city??? Surely you jest. . .

. . .

Old Posted Jul 27, 2011, 6:08 PM

Well here's to

..hoping Related alters their plans. It's my wet dream to see this tower rise to 90-ish stories, but I suppose 65 isn't too bad.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2011, 6:50 PM
Content provider

1000+ needed at wolf point now

Old Posted Jul 27, 2011, 7:16 PM
BANNED

Waterview would have been pretty cool.

Poor Chicago. Tisk, tisk.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Jul 28, 2011 at 2:40 AM.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2011, 7:36 PM

Related does decent work. Good to see this move forward.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2011, 10:52 PM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Well decent is better than bad, but I hope they put some real effort into this project and amp-up the architecture. I am worried though as I have disliked a lot of their recent work...and in multiple cities. They could start by picking a Chicago firm that is really going to have a vested interest in setting this project on the right track.

If they do go with SOM, their joint work on 89 Murray St. was a nice project, and they did a nice job with SCB on 340 OTP. I do hope they choose a different, more adventurous firm though.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2011, 1:59 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alliance View Post
They could start by picking a Chicago firm that is really going to have a vested interest in setting this project on the right track.

If they do go with SOM, their joint work on 89 Murray St. was a nice project, and they did a nice job with SCB on 340 OTP. I do hope they choose a different, more adventurous firm though.
SOM is a Chicago firm.

I love 89 Murray, but unfortunately that was the NY office. We discussed this earlier, and I learned that SOM's Chicago office hasn't done a residential project in quite some time, unless you count Trump... but that's a special case.

Last edited by ardecila; Jul 28, 2011 at 2:16 AM.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2011, 3:05 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alliance View Post
Well decent is better than bad, but I hope they put some real effort into this project and amp-up the architecture. I am worried though as I have disliked a lot of their recent work...and in multiple cities. They could start by picking a Chicago firm that is really going to have a vested interest in setting this project on the right track.

SOM has a long history and done very many adventurous buildings.

How adventurous are you looking?

Yes SOM did a lot of great stuff in the 70'-80's but they are also responsible for the tallest building in the world and the Sears Tower and John Handcock building.

IMO they are still a top 10 arch team in the world. No need to diss SOM, that is ridiculous. If you have not noticed I have a very high regard for SOM.

Skidmore, Owings and Merrill LLP (SOM) is an American architectural and engineering firm that was formed in Chicago in 1936 by ...

Throughout its history, SOM has been recognized with more than 1400 awards for quality and innovation.[24] More than 580 of these awards have been received since 1998

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skidmor...gs_and_Merrill

Old Posted Jul 28, 2011, 3:11 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom In Chicago View Post
^Vibrant part of the city??? Surely you jest. . .

. . .
I would hope that it's more vibrant than the currently empty hulk that it is now. If not, there's a problem.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2011, 3:46 AM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
SOM is a Chicago firm.
Course. 101 Warren is nice too, and that was the Chicago office. I just used 89 Murray because that was with Related.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnk View Post
If you have not noticed I have a very high regard for SOM.
Lol. Apparently. I am aware of their reputation, but I don't share your sentiments. I'd prefer another firm.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2011, 4:34 AM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnk View Post
SOM has a long history and done very many adventurous buildings.

How adventurous are you looking?

Yes SOM did a lot of great stuff in the 70'-80's but they are also responsible for the tallest building in the world and the Sears Tower and John Handcock building.

IMO they are still a top 10 arch team in the world. No need to diss SOM, that is ridiculous. If you have not noticed I have a very high regard for SOM.

Skidmore, Owings and Merrill LLP (SOM) is an American architectural and engineering firm that was formed in Chicago in 1936 by ...

Throughout its history, SOM has been recognized with more than 1400 awards for quality and innovation.[24] More than 580 of these awards have been received since 1998

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skidmor...gs_and_Merrill
Adrian Smith was responsible for designing Burj Khallifa, and has since left SOM.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2011, 5:18 AM
Urban Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalziand View Post
Adrian Smith was responsible for designing Burj Khallifa, and has since left SOM.
Sure, Adrian Smith was the lead design architect on Burj Khalifa, but you are kidding yourself if you don't think that is an SOM building. If ever there was a project that represented the skill and resources of an entire firm (architecture, planning, structures, MEP, interiors), this was it.

The criticism of SOM is partially valid - not much "adventurous" work has come out of the firm for its US projects. But take a look at the work in China and the Middle East if adventurous is your cup of tea.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2011, 2:02 PM

I wonder if any of the curtain wall for Waterview has already been manufactured and is sitting in storage in some warehouse somewhere.

If so this may come out looking a lot like a shorter version of Waterview.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2011, 7:45 PM
BANNED

http://www.chicagotribune.com/classi...0,719437.story

Waterview Tower back in play as apartment complex under joint venture with NY firm, Clark Wacker LLC

Building at 111 W. Wacker, stuck as a 25-story concrete skeleton for about 3 years, to become 65-story, 500-unit luxury rental development

By Alejandra Cancino, Tribune reporter

July 28, 2011

The sale of the unfinished Waterview Tower marks the end of an era for a building that had become an eyesore in the Chicago skyline after construction halted in 2008.

At a planned 1,050 feet, the skyscraper would have become the fifth-tallest building in the city. Instead it rose 25 floors and sat untouched for nearly three years, turning the concrete skeleton into a constant reminder of the credit crisis.

The new owner plans to use the existing structure and convert the building into a 65-story luxury rental building with 500 units. Construction is set to start in the first quarter of 2012 and be completed 18 to 24 months later. Related has yet to secure construction financing for the project.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2011, 7:57 PM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

I also liked this quote from the above article:

Quote:
Lissner said luxury apartments downtown rent for about $2.50 to $3 per square foot — roughly $2,000 to $2,500 per month for a one-bedroom apartment or $3,000 to $3,500 a month for a two-bedroom unit.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive