HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 22, 2017, 7:17 PM
-

Flew in from Nola to catch the eclipse. Nashville is becoming quite a great city! I really enjoyed it. Definitely changed a lot since the last time i was there.

Took a few photos from LA Jackson and Westin Rooftop:

My amateur Eclipse Photos from The Gulch:

Old Posted Aug 23, 2017, 2:46 AM
Nashville born and raised

One last summary of current and proposed projects. This is a list of individual non-high rise projects, but rather a list of projects that help make Nashville a better City.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2017, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PillowTalk4 View Post
I hope so. ABC, had a nice shot I believe on Saturday when one of their primary meteorologist was in town to highlight the path of the solar eclipse. Given that the view was from the south looking north, I believe she was either on the grounds of the Adventure Science Center or in Fort Negley Park. The skyline was the backdrop and you could see the Bridgestone Bldg, 505, the Westin and all buildings in between. I don't recall seeing the AT&T building which is usually the building camera guys go for the most. The angle that they chose somehow only captured a small bit of the roof of the MCC, which I actually liked because the south side of the MCC is not that attractive and it can be really dominating because of it being a mass of whiteness. I wish they could do a different facade on that side of MCC.
Thank you for responding to my post. There are a few of you here, who I truly value what you all have to say.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2017, 6:02 PM

An incredible, 35 block-long, skyline picture taken by Newschannel 5's copter. It shows everything from all of downtown, SoBro, the Gulch and Midtown all the way out to the 440 interchange.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2017, 7:35 PM

^ That's getting to be quite a thicket there!

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 3:17 PM
Chairman

Batman Building is starting to look less prominent in the skyline due to all of the development of new towers.

-sb

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakman View Post
Batman Building is starting to look less prominent in the skyline due to all of the development of new towers.
Bring em' on!!!

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 5:52 PM
Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidTenn1 View Post
Bring em' on!!!

That is is an excellent silhouette.

-sb

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 9:08 PM

Sorry Shak.. only 10 stories, but infill is good too.

10 Story HAMPTON INN....gorgeous!!

From the Nashville Post

It will located in the Capitol View development in the North Gulch, on the same block as the 10 story Health Stream office building which is just beginning construction. Except for one more lot, this will build out the 33 acre development at the base of the State Capitol.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2017, 2:13 PM

As far as the 10 story Hampton Inn is concerned that MidTenn1 posted an image for I think that new buildings that have a similar style and size to the brick buildings that have been in downtown Nashville for many decades are a good idea, particularly for some of the smaller projects because those old buildings are the authentic architecture for this city from its early days and if we concentrated on only modern high rise buildings and only ended up with a handful of the originals we would have slowly squandered our history and a future Nashville in 20 or 30 years could end up looking like a theme park without any substance. I don't know if the Hampton Inn is even going to have brick on the façade but it does have that traditional appearance that fits in well with the existing buildings. Now I love tall skyscrapers, the taller the better, and I hope we get lots of new ones in the future like the 505 except hopefully even bigger but after seeing the destruction of so many historical buildings in my home town of Butte, MT that had real character and represented its long history as an important mining city of historical significance I sure don't want to see our famous city of Nashville lose its authenticity or its culture either. When you look at Lower Broadway you see those famous old brick buildings where the tourists and locals alike enjoy listening to music in that classic setting but just up the street everything else is going to be new in several years and I'm hoping that local planners and everyday citizens will insist that it all should blend in well together and that we hold on to our architectural landmarks and restore the ones that have fallen on hard times.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2017, 8:14 PM

I agree with Montanaguy. They give texture and character to the town, and once they're gone they never come this way again.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2017, 11:34 PM

I think a 10 story Hampton Inn is appropriate. I stayed in a Hampton in NYC once that I believe was 20 stories, but it was a conversion property. They converted an old office building into a hotel. It was cool with the exception that the elevators were very small and if you were above a certain floor you had to get off, walk down the hall and enter another bank of elevators to the remaining floors. Anyway, I think the proposed Hampton will be good infill. I'm all for more and more and more 40+ story buildings like 505. But I don't want them side by side and all clustered together.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2017, 12:24 AM

Looking good Nashville!

Old Posted Aug 28, 2017, 2:53 PM
Chairman

Indeed infill is also good.

-sb

Old Posted Aug 29, 2017, 2:44 PM

Nashville's USL (United Soccer League) team will begin play in 2018 in the First Tennessee (baseball) Park north of downtown.

It will hold 10,000 to 12,000 (SRO) fans. The dirt infield will be sodded for soccer and presumably removed once the stadium reverts back to baseball mode. The USL is the next largest U. S. soccer league after the MLS (Major League Soccer). The City of Nashville is currently actively and aggressively seeking a franchise expansion team in the MLS. I like our chances!!

The baseball stadium opened three years ago and is currently the home of the Nashville Sounds, the Triple A affiliate of the Oakland A's. Season attendance is well over 500,000 for the baseball club this year. The soccer configuration will look like this....

The team should draw well as it will be a novelty and is located in the
trendy and booming Germantown district.

And no, Vanderbilt will not play there. I'm preempting the jokes right now.

Last edited by MidTenn1; Aug 29, 2017 at 3:04 PM.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2017, 3:31 PM

Nashville's Mayor Megan Barry recently (casually) announced that a portion of the 'proposed' Light Rail System may be buried underground in the downtown area. It makes sense from an engineering standpoint as there are too many narrow, hilly and curvy streets in downtown to accommodate such a system on the surface. The downtown itself is mostly on a hill anyway, so a Charlotte Pike to Gallatin Road underground line would be less than a mile long. I have always thought an underground system would be the sensible option here, anyway.

Connecting to the southbound, Nolensville Road route may be a little more problematical as the tunnel probably needs to be longer (to the Fairgrounds/Soccer Stadium?) before the train can surface due to the narrow street issue in that area.

That scenario is costly, but less so that the inadequate operational problems caused be the surface layout. There is ample hard limestone bedrock under (all of) Nashville, so stability of the tunnel would not be much of an issue. I suspect it would be bored rather than cut and covered.

So...cool! We're talking about our own little piece of a 'subway system'.

Also discussed was an upcoming referendum on the overall plan (sorry, don't know the date) and the formation of a pro-transit plan group to promote the $6 billion overall transit plans which would include the light rail.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2017, 10:30 PM

Cool!

Old Posted Aug 31, 2017, 11:58 PM
Ascension

Really impressed with what's going on in Nashville.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2017, 6:08 AM

A 20 Story Apartment Building proposal was just announced today for Midtown. From the TENNESSEAN...

Quote:
A Chicago-based developer has 1.19 acres in Midtown under contract with plans for a 20-story project that's expected to include up to 421 apartment units plus retail space.
A massing diagram was released also.

It will apparently be right beside the newly opened, 19 story Morris Apartment Bldg. making a virtual two block long 20 story wall along Division Street.

The general location is shown in my crudely drawn diagram in the Midtown area. The orangy building in front is where the 14 story Virgin Hotel is to start soon and the Kenect Apartments a just behind the hotel.

Midtown Nashville is adding some serious urban density, especially in the area between Vanderbilt and Music Row.

15 Story Hyatt House under construction
14 story Virgin Hotel to break ground soon
20 story Kenect Apartments proposed
12 story Fairfield Hotel proposed
12 Story Vanderbilt Place Offices proposed
Graduate Hotel on West End proposed
10 story Office at 18th and Chet Atkins

Old Posted Sep 4, 2017, 4:41 AM

The 30 Story, 460 ft. Bridgestone Americas Headquarters in the Sobro District.

Should open anytime. The lighting is beautiful from the street.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations