HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 11:56 PM

When I saw the thumb-nail for this slide I thought all the white was snow.

Hmmmm...I just realized it is snow. (just a 'dusting', like they say in Illinois.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Los-Angeles-...item33a4cc4750

"Los Angeles LAMTA Pacific Electric Interurban #1706 Original Slide LA River Bridge" (no mention of the snow)

Does anyone recognize this area?

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jun 30, 2015 at 12:07 AM.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 11:59 PM

Thank you Hoss!

Mmmmm, twilight neon

Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 12:34 AM

A couple more of e_r's recent pictures sans watermarks.

Photobucket kindly removed these two images from my account due to a claim of copyright infringement - sorry if you didn't get to see them.

Last edited by HossC; Jul 21, 2015 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Added infringement notice!

Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 1:05 AM

Gorgeous. Thank you.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 1:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
I just came across this slide showing an unknown movie set. The seller dates it as 1940s.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Sli...item5d5a1e68ab

seller info:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Sli...item5d5a1e68ab

Does anyone recognize this location? Is it Corriganville?
__
This is part of the original Paramount Ranch in the Agoura area.

Jerry

Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 3:37 AM

Quote:
When I saw the thumb-nail for this slide I thought all the white was snow.

Hmmmm...I just realized it is snow. (just a 'dusting', like they say in Illinois.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Los-Angeles-...item33a4cc4750

"Los Angeles LAMTA Pacific Electric Interurban #1706 Original Slide LA River Bridge" (no mention of the snow)

Does anyone recognize this area?
North of Long Beach
The Blue Line is on this alignment
But it's hard to buy the snow thing
It DID snow in So CA in 1949.
But the lack of a cloud in the sky and the somewhat late morning sun- the bridge is on a SE with perhaps more S line, and the Blimp is headed to Long Beach- makes it hard to believe. Also the closeness of the ocean tempers the temperature [ pardon] so it wouldn't be as cold as say Glendale or Echo Park etc. for which there are pictorial records.
I was in Kindergarten IIRC. The higher classes got to go up into the hills by schoolbus- there was a thin film on our lawn before school.
But by the time they got back and the little kids got a turn the snow was substantially gone even up in the hills [of Orange County].

Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BifRayRock View Post

Although I am keeping an open mind, when it comes to radiator-dancing, I prefer a warmed-up Marmon.

Anyone recognize the location? Somewhere near 13th and Figueroa?
(Perhaps the fact that the photos were taken for Pelton Motors offers a clue? )

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/co...id/32356/rec/5

I don't know if the location was ever decided, but I came across this colorized version:

http://www.imbuedwithhues.com

Last edited by GaylordWilshire; Jun 30, 2015 at 4:15 PM.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 12:46 PM

Quote:

I don't believe we've seen 'THE UPP' Apartments on NLA.

http://hdl.huntington.org/

Huntington Archives description.

"Los Angeles #1 Substation-View from a hill of both the old and new station buildings. 7/1/1912
The Upp Apartments at 1149 W 1st Street were discovered by e_r back in mid-March. There were follow-ups, mainly about the nearby electricity substations, in post #27018, post #27021, post #27025, post #27026 and
post #27033. My reply (#27021) includes a couple of Baist maps of the area and a 1937 long view from USC. The detail shot below is from that long view.

Detail of picture in USC Digital Library

The Baist maps name the building to the right of the Upp Apartments as the St Louis Apartments, but this color shot from the 1940s shows it as the Amos Apartments (which also appears to be the name in the image above).

Photobucket kindly removed this image from my account due to a claim of copyright infringement - sorry if you didn't get to see it.
eBay

I only found the picture above because I was intrigued by the one below, which is from the same seller as several of the images posted yesterday by e_r. The description says "Homes and apartment buildings in Los Angeles. I think this photo was taken near The Upp Apartments on W. 1st St. (see my other listing)." It's dated "early 1940s." Is this the back of the Upp and Amos Apartments? That would mean that these houses were on Mignonette Street.

Photobucket kindly removed this image from my account due to a claim of copyright infringement - sorry if you didn't get to see it.
eBay

Last edited by HossC; Jul 21, 2015 at 10:28 PM. Reason: Added infringement notice!

Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 2:43 PM

Quote:
We've seen Sebastian's Cotton Club a few times on NLA, but not this particular snapshot.

"Mimi, Mother, Myself and Lilo. 1937(?) Hollywood Calif. (actually it was in Culver City)

eBay
[original size

eBay

A great night-time view of the Cotton Club can be seen here: it's pretty cool looking~
http://skyscraperpage.com/forum/show...postcount=9544

Several historic aerials showing Sebastian's here: and much more!
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=9551

Any idea what this building was before it was Sebastian's Cotton Club? The architecture is Alpine/Scandinavian, with the pitched roofs, half-timbering and even a waterwheel. Definitely not a Cotton Club vibe.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 4:00 PM

The Cotton Club, 6500 Washingtton Blvd, Culver City

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Maddox Roberts View Post
Any idea what this building was before it was Sebastian's Cotton Club? The architecture is Alpine/Scandinavian, with the pitched roofs, half-timbering and even a waterwheel. Definitely not a Cotton Club vibe.

"Frank Sebastian was known as an elegant gentleman who knew talent when he saw it. His first Los Angeles restaurant was Café Sebastian (or Frank Sebastian's Café Venice) in Venice, CA. in the 1920s with French and Italian Food.

He opened his famous Cotton Club (previously Moonlight Gardens and Mandarin Gardens and the Green Mill) on Washington Blvd. in Culver City in February of 1926.

Sebastian was already experienced in the entertainment business before he came to Culver City. Customers enjoyed "The Floor shows" at his "Cotton Club" on Washington Boulevard at National. It offered valet parking, three dance floors, and full orchestras, rivaling the club of the same name in New York. Sebastian's Cotton Club was located at 6500 Washington Boulevard, in Culver City.

In July of 1935, Sebastian was jailed for contempt when he refused to answer grand jury questions regarding liquor and gambling at his club. He was rumored to have mob ties. He lost his liquor license and then was accused of bribery when he regained it. News about the Cotton Club seems to end around 1938. It later became Casa Manana under different ownership.

Frank Sebastian also owned the Cubanola at La Brea near Beverly, as well as the "Café of all Nations" in Sacramento.

The building that housed the Cotton Club (last known as Zucca's Opera House) burnt down on 2-20-1950."

Interior (n.d.)

The line up, 1931:

Headliner, circa 1930-1931 Armstrong, Sebastian and (I think) Lionel Hampton:

Images and info from "LA Dance Halls and Ballrooms"

Re that last photo:
"In July of 1930 Louis Armstrong moved to California and fronted the Les Hite's Orchestra. It was renamed Louis Armstrong's Sebastian New Cotton Club Orchestra, after a club on Washington Blvd. in Culver City, California where the band played. Armstrong's engagement there was a great success and he stayed at the nightclub until March of 1931. While in California, Louis and drummer Vic Berton, and Frank Driggs were busted by undercover cops for smoking a marijuana cigarette in the parking lot of the club. Louis spent nine days in jail for this misdemeanor. The band also featured a young Lionel Hampton on drums and vibes.

-http://www.redhotjazz.com/sebastian.html

Feb 1927 Daily Trojan

Last edited by tovangar2; Jun 30, 2015 at 7:02 PM. Reason: add link

Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 4:30 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2 View Post

"Frank Sebastian was known as an elegant gentleman who knew talent when he saw it. His first Los Angeles restaurant was Café Sebastian (or Frank Sebastian's Café Venice) in Venice, CA. in the 1920s with French and Italian Food.

He opened his famous Cotton Club (previously Moonlight Gardens and Mandarin Gardens and the Green Mill) on Washington Blvd. in Culver City in February of 1926.

Sebastian was already experienced in the entertainment business before he came to Culver City. Customers enjoyed "The Floor shows" at his "Cotton Club" on Washington Boulevard at National. It offered valet parking, three dance floors, and full orchestras, rivaling the club of the same name in New York. Sebastian's Cotton Club was located at 6500 Washington Boulevard, in Culver City.

In July of 1935, Sebastian was jailed for contempt when he refused to answer grand jury questions regarding liquor and gambling at his club. He was rumored to have mob ties. He lost his liquor license and then was accused of bribery when he regained it. News about the Cotton Club seems to end around 1938. It later became Casa Manana under different ownership.

Frank Sebastian also owned the Cubanola at La Brea near Beverly, as well as the "Café of all Nations" in Sacramento.

The building that housed the Cotton Club (last known as Zucca's Opera House) burnt down on 2-20-1950."

-http://www.redhotjazz.com/sebastian.html
Empresario Frank Sebastian in 1936. Dapper indeed!

facebook

Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
I only found the picture above because I was intrigued by the one below, which is from the same seller as several of the images posted yesterday by e_r. The description says "Homes and apartment buildings in Los Angeles. I think this photo was taken near The Upp Apartments on W. 1st St. (see my other listing)." It's dated "early 1940s." Is this the back of the Upp and Amos Apartments? That would mean that these houses were on Mignonette Street.

eBay
This is a shot of the backs of the Melrose (background center and right) and the Richelieu background on the left. View is looking west from Olive on which these houses in the foreground number.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 5:20 PM

Thanks for the explanation MR. I wasn't 100% sure what I was looking at.

Here's another slide from this same group; this one of downtown in the 1940s.

eBay

I've enlarged it just for fun to see every wonderful gritty detail.

eBay

Is that a gumball machine over the man's right shoulder? It appears to be attached to the door.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 5:27 PM

And here's another from the 1940s...

New Chinatown or China City?*

eBay

Note the American Flags. Yep, it's the patriotic 1940s!
__

*This is actually New Chinatown. The Forbidden Palace was located at 451 Gin Ling Way.

Vintage Menus
http://www.kcet.org/living/food/the-...nd-beyond.html

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jun 30, 2015 at 5:47 PM.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 6:08 PM

ebay via e_r

That shot shows some of the shops built on the still-occupied cemetery just south of Plaza Church.

The shops were there for decades:

uscdl (detail)

Today:

gsv

Those don't look like gumballs in the wall-mounted machine. Maybe candy-coated peanuts(?)

Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 6:20 PM

Thanks t2. I wasn't sure if that was the Plaza Church in the slide. So they actually built shops on top of dead bodies? that's creepy

by the way, I very much enjoyed your Gilbert Hotel follow-up.

__

I never expected to see a color photograph of the UPP Apts.
Good find Hoss.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Workman View Post
North of Long Beach
The Blue Line is on this alignment
But it's hard to buy the snow thing
It DID snow in So CA in 1949.
But the lack of a cloud in the sky and the somewhat late morning sun- the bridge is on a SE with perhaps more S line, and the Blimp is headed to Long Beach- makes it hard to believe.
Also the closeness of the ocean tempers the temperature [ pardon] so it wouldn't be as cold as say Glendale or Echo Park etc. for which there are pictorial records.
I was in Kindergarten IIRC. The higher classes got to go up into the hills by schoolbus- there was a thin film on our lawn before school.
But by the time they got back and the little kids got a turn the snow was substantially gone even up in the hills [of Orange County].
Thanks for the information Ed.

Here are some images of the 1949 snow you mentioned.

http://framework.latimes.com/2013/01...os-angeles/#/0

http://framework.latimes.com/2013/01...os-angeles/#/2

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jun 30, 2015 at 6:54 PM.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 6:50 PM

"Train curve between Barstow and San Bernardino."

eBay

I never noticed the three lights on the side of a train before. Obviously it's caution....go....and stop.
Is this so another train doesn't rear-end them?

Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 6:57 PM

Quote:
So they actually built shops on top of dead bodies? that's creepy
Apparently so, or the bodies wouldn't have still been there for Gloria Molina to desecrate in 2010: "An Apology Comes Too Late". A scandal of Molina's own making.

All the shamefully mangled remains have now been returned and reburied at the Plaza Church cemetery. RIP

Last edited by tovangar2; Jul 1, 2015 at 8:25 PM.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 8:25 PM

1980s Hollywood

Matt Sweeney via http://www.theatlantic.com/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos