HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Nov 9, 2015, 3:47 AM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by plinko View Post
Lovely city to roam around and find architectural detail gems.

It's the only east coast city I've found that gives me that same kind of 'Santa Barbara yes I could live here vibe'. Totally different culture and atmosphere, but many of the right things for me anyway.

That being said, I would melt there in the summer.
I have been around LA into the desert of Palm Springs down to San Diego but have never been to Santa Barbara for comparison. I do love these laid back upscale cities. They have such a comforting feeling to them.
I think it would probably be preferable to live in one of these idyllic cities within a larger metro like LA whereas Savannah you are in a small metro and are many hours from any major American city where people have many more employment options and activities and areas to explore.

Thanks guys.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2015, 3:48 AM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColDayMan View Post
Nice tour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaguy View Post
Your Dad is correct, despite his suburban sensibilities.

Savannah was founded and designed by the British, and it shows.

If you ever get back, check out the gorgeous barrier island suburbs and their local beach on Tybee Island. Tybee is a funky and laid back beach town that feels like a time warp.

Savannah is definitely Georgia's jewel, and you captured it beautifully.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisLA View Post
Nice, I would love to visit one day.
Thank you guys.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2015, 4:49 AM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinlee View Post
We didn't have time unfortunately to hit those barrier islands including Tybee. I've heard they are pretty awesome.
Those who prefer Charleston tend to use its selection of beaches and islands as one of the reasons they like it over Savannah. I spent a couple of days there last month with someone who owns a condo there, and that was one of her reasons. We had a long talk about the whole Savannah vs. Charleston dichotomy, and the pros and cons of each place.

The general consensus seems to be that Charleston has better gardens, while Savannah has better interiors. Charleston has a more urban feel while Savannah feels more like a park. Charleston has a selection of beaches, beach towns, and islands, whiel Savannah just has Tybee.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Last edited by hauntedheadnc; Nov 10, 2015 at 2:46 PM.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2015, 6:42 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauntedheadnc View Post
Those who prefer Charleston tend to use its selection of beaches and islands as one of the reasons they like it over Charleston. I spent a couple of days there last month with someone who owns a condo there, and that was one of her reasons. We had a long talk about the whole Savannah vs. Charleston dichotomy, and the pros and cons of each place.

The general consensus seems to be that Charleston has better gardens, while Savannah has better interiors. Charleston has a more urban feel while Savannah feels more like a park. Charleston has a selection of beaches, beach towns, and islands, whiel Savannah just has Tybee.
I still would like to see Charleston, SC as well. BTW, I have been to Asheville before as well. It is a true gem. Loved the Vanderbilt mansion.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2015, 4:43 AM

What a beautiful thread.

I've been to NO & Key West, which seem to have similar vibes, but I've never been to Savannah or Charleston. Hopefully I'll get to go sometime.

To be honest, I'm shocked at how well that place looks, how well it seems to be lived in, given that the South is basically ground zero of sunbelt suburban sprawl.

I'm astonished (and so happy) that some crazy bible-thumping conservative city-haters never managed somehow to decimate the place out of shear anti-urban spite sometime over the last several decades.

Thanks for the pictures. Really amazing.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2015, 9:26 AM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cro Burnham View Post
What a beautiful thread.

I've been to NO & Key West, which seem to have similar vibes, but I've never been to Savannah or Charleston. Hopefully I'll get to go sometime.

To be honest, I'm shocked at how well that place looks, how well it seems to be lived in, given that the South is basically ground zero of sunbelt suburban sprawl.

I'm astonished (and so happy) that some crazy bible-thumping conservative city-haters never managed somehow to decimate the place out of shear anti-urban spite sometime over the last several decades.

Thanks for the pictures. Really amazing.
Thanks! It is definitely the opposite of suburbia. It has a vibe all its own.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2015, 1:51 PM
A gruff individual.

Quote:

The South may be the epicenter of sprawl (although you will note that Levittown was a New York and Philadelphia sort of place), but it's been said before that when the South did urbanism, it did it right. The layout of the Savannah Historic District is considered to be one of the best and most functional urban plans in the world. It also helps that Savannah has had a historic preservation society since 1955, formed after several landmarks were demolished, to keep even more from falling.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Nov 10, 2015, 2:50 PM
A gruff individual.

Quote:
I still would like to see Charleston, SC as well. BTW, I have been to Asheville before as well. It is a true gem. Loved the Vanderbilt mansion.
Fun fact: Asheville exists as a resort because all the rich people from Charleston and Savannah, and other Southern cities, came here to get away from the summer heat every year. Charlestonians established a summer colony in Flat Rock, south of Asheville, around 1807 and by 1838 a new county was formed to serve them and all the people who had tagged along. Meanwhile, a community called Little Savannah was formed when Savannahians established a summer colony out near Cullowhee in Jackson County.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2015, 12:59 PM

Squares are the coolest.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2015, 4:56 PM

duplicate post

Old Posted Nov 18, 2015, 4:59 PM

Quote:
I told my dad who has been all over the US and world for that matter that I've wanted to visit Charleston, SC and New Orleans as well. He said downtown Savannah was much nicer and better laid out than Charleston. But i'm just going on his unprofessional suburban opinion.
To me, the historic districts of Charleston and Savannah are equally as nice, but in different ways. However Savannah is a planned city while Charleston isn't, so I definitely understand the point about it being laid out better. The squares in Savannah are just plain awesome and its downtown has wider sidewalks. I've always thought that Savannah is to Charleston what Philly is to Boston in some respects, especially in terms of layout. I think Savannah is a little more classically urban, while Charleston is more "metropolitan" urban as it is twice the size of Savannah which a much more diverse, faster-growing economy.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2015, 5:03 PM

Quote:
There are quite a few historic walkable downtown areas in the South. Sounds like you need to take a trip south of the Mason-Dixon sometime.

Quote:
I'm sorry, but that's the silliest thing I've ever heard. Is that what you really think happens in the South???????

Old Posted Nov 18, 2015, 10:01 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

nice job and glad you got to check out america's most beautiful city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedok View Post
That hanging moss stuff makes all the trees look kind of like weeping willows.
don't ever touch that stuff though. you'll get chiggers.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2015, 12:14 AM
Old Fart Forumer

Savannah is indeed a beautiful city, so well planned and historic. I will admit I lean a bit more towards Charleston, but both are great places to visit. Wonderful tour, thanks.

Oh yeah, is that your Pop standing between the police cars? I thought that might be a more appropriate location for you to pose (with your wild self).

Retired, now Grandpa Daycare

Old Posted Nov 21, 2015, 8:29 PM
Red October standing by

thanks for the photos. i've got to get back there soon. is the rooftop shot from a British pub/restaurant?

and i need to get back to Charleston, which is superior IMO. Charleston feels more like a mini-capitol while Savannah plays second city fiddle.

and you need to get to NOLA, which is another level of historic crazy. and while on the topic of historic southern coastal cities, don't forget St. Augustine and Galveston.

-

-fflint

Old Posted Nov 23, 2015, 11:27 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Ithacan View Post
Savannah is indeed a beautiful city, so well planned and historic. I will admit I lean a bit more towards Charleston, but both are great places to visit. Wonderful tour, thanks.

Oh yeah, is that your Pop standing between the police cars? I thought that might be a more appropriate location for you to pose (with your wild self).
Hey now! Yes that is him.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2015, 11:41 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSyd View Post
thanks for the photos. i've got to get back there soon. is the rooftop shot from a British pub/restaurant?

and i need to get back to Charleston, which is superior IMO. Charleston feels more like a mini-capitol while Savannah plays second city fiddle.

and you need to get to NOLA, which is another level of historic crazy. and while on the topic of historic southern coastal cities, don't forget St. Augustine and Galveston.

-
I will get to NOLA someday. St. Augustine is one of the few cities in Florida I haven't been to yet. And considering my name, Austin is a derivative of the famous St. Augustine of Algeria I am interested in addition to my love of cities.

The restaurant was Z2 and we ate on the rooftop deck on the 2nd floor. it was great. The owner was this lady from Switzerland who is like a nomad or something the waitress was telling us. I had "South African iced tea" which was the tastiest beverage I have ever had. Then we ordered poutine for appetizer and then this chicken sandwich that had won a national award from the Food Channel or something. A local recommended it to us.
http://www.z2savannah.com/index.html#

Awesome views of Savannah's City Hall.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2015, 4:56 PM

Nice pics! I absolutely love Savannah.

Did you get a chance to see the Bonaventure Cemetery just outside of town? It was the setting for Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil.

Hobbes: "Pittsburgh?"

Calvin: "You mean if we're good or if we're bad?"

Old Posted Nov 30, 2015, 9:55 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmd41280 View Post
Nice pics! I absolutely love Savannah.

Did you get a chance to see the Bonaventure Cemetery just outside of town? It was the setting for Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil.
Thanks.

And no, never heard of that cemetery.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2016, 8:01 AM

I can remember Savannah for being the largest city in GA before Atlanta burned down and became the metropolis that it is currently. It's a very charming city and the city of Charleston in SC along with Charleston are twin cities IMO!!!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos