HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Apr 26, 2013, 5:03 PM

How come I always find myself at the source of off topic subjects?

Old Posted Apr 26, 2013, 5:07 PM
Meh

We could have one of those "introduce yourself" threads.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2013, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I think we all already introduced ourselves. But I think a separate thread would be good.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2013, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by migol24 View Post
How come I always find myself at the source of off topic subjects?
The Callaway House is kinda boring, going off thread was more interesting.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2013, 8:50 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I'm down with that.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2013, 10:16 PM
Member since 2001

I have lived in Austin all of my life (honestly...for a few years I lived outside of the Austin area; but, maintained a home here). Currently, I call Steiner Ranch home.

My formative years (7-18) were spent in West Lake Hills and before then (age 0-6), my family lived near Burnet & 183 (very far north Austin at that time). In fact, back then, US-183 was a 4 lane divided highway (with traffic lights). Man, I cannot believe how much that part of Austin has changed since then.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2013, 11:31 PM

Funny... I don't remember opening this thread.

Well, I'll just go ahead and tell you all where I'm from. I was born in Caldwell, ID. Throughout my life growing up, I have lived for a couple of months in Kansas City, MO (I don't remember that time). I graduated from kindergarten in Las Cruces, NM and we lived there for about 2 years. But I mostly grew up in Houston, TX. At age 10, we moved to the DFW area. We were there for about four years when we moved to Austin. I was fourteen back then and I lived there up until I was 26 when I decided to try moving to SF. I've been here ever since. I think of going back to Austin mostly because if I'm going to be a poor fellow, I'd rather be a poor fellow in Austin.

But in the meantime and most importantly I'm just trying to make it in life.... hopefully I'll establish myself as a filmmaker and make money doing the things that I love and have more opportunities to travel even more. Maybe live in a different country for awhile. We shall see.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2013, 11:44 PM

Moved to Austin in '81 from Poughkeepsie, NY via IBM transfer lived in Austin, wife worked at 9th and Congress at what was once First City Bank. Spent a lot of time dt throughout the 80's and 90's. Decided to raise a family on a nice piece of land so bought a 5 bedroom on 1/2acre east of Round Rock where I still live. I too am grateful to this forum since I don't get to dt much anymore. And I love you guys

Old Posted Apr 27, 2013, 12:10 AM

I was born in Fort Worth in 1946. I went to college at Tulane in New Orleans and lived for a year or so in NYC before moving to California in 1973. I lived in SF from 1973 to 1980 and LA from 1980 to 1985. This was followed by 9 years in the DC area and a year or so in both Phoenix and Atlanta. There was also a brief effort at trying to live in Palm Springs before I finally settled in the Austin area in 1996. I had lived here previously in 1969-70 during an aborted start at UT Law. I have seen Austin go through some changes. That's for certain.

I now live in SW Austin and drive north on Mopac or Lamar every day, which gives me an opportunity to keep an eye on new construction. Seems like a lot of SSP folks live down south. Not very many seem to claim downtown as home. I guess it is too expensive for most of us. It certainly is beyond my current budget, but I lived in a few high rises in other cities in the past. I'll take a house and yard any day of the week unless that high rise is on the Isle of Manhattan.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2013, 12:55 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

I've been in South Austin my entire life (30 years). Joslin, Porter and Bowie. I trace my Austin/Buda/Caldwell Co/CenTex roots back to 1837 in my surname lineage. Great-great-great-grandpa and his dad helped create Caldwell County. He fought alongside his brother to allow for the settlement of Waterloo, and was a deputy sheriff in Caldwell. My paternal grandmother's lineage goes further back as she's where we get our Comanche and Cherokee blood.

I don't normally agree with the City of Austin politically, but it is my home. I love this part of Texas, and I don't plan on leaving anytime soon.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2013, 1:49 AM

Near north loop between Lamar and Burnet.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2013, 3:08 AM
Meh

I've always lived in Austin. I was raised in South Austin. I am also proud to say I was born in San Antonio. My mom's side of the family has been here going back at least 4 generations. My grandma was born in Liberty Hill. My dad was born in Germany. His family came to the US in 1956. They first lived in New Sweden, a small Swedish and German community in Northeast Travis County. They also lived in Houston for a short while before moving to Austin in the early 60s.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2013, 4:21 AM

Hey guys, I'm josh. I post like once in a blue moon. I've lived from DC, Japan, Virginia, San Antonio(Texas state university) and now I live in Arkansas. I'm moving to Austin June 7th and I can't wait. I've been stalking this forum for some time now and I'm excited to see all the new changes(from brt to new projects).
Anyways, I'm moving in the jollyville area.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2013, 4:50 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Welcome to Austin! You will enjoy it here.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2013, 5:56 AM
Austinite

Grew up and still live on the far NW side (near Lakeline Mall). If that sounds far now, you can only imagine how remote it seemed as a kid (when cedar trees far outnumbered humans ). I currently work in Central Austin, so I do get the chance to keep up with construction in town.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2013, 6:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopacs View Post
Grew up and still live on the far NW side (near Lakeline Mall). If that sounds far now, you can only imagine how remote it seemed as a kid (when cedar trees far outnumbered humans ). I currently work in Central Austin, so I do get the chance to keep up with construction in town.

Do you take the MetroRail into downtown?

Old Posted Apr 27, 2013, 8:39 AM
Everywhere all at once

I suppose this thread could be beneficial to me haha, I'm from New York and live here currently, but I'm planning to move to Austin before the year's out (hopefully September/October). Can anyone recommend where in the city I should look for a place? I'm hoping for cheap, close to buses and close to other young people (I'm 23).

Thanks a mil!

Old Posted Apr 27, 2013, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
Welcome to Austin! You will enjoy it here.
Thank you so much! I'm definitely excited.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2013, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatenIslander237 View Post
Can anyone recommend where in the city I should look for a place? I'm hoping for cheap, close to buses and close to other young people (I'm 23).
Define cheap.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2013, 11:54 PM
Austinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomuse View Post
Do you take the MetroRail into downtown?
No, though it would certainly be nice. The route swings well off to the east of where I work. Not overly practical unfortunately, even with a connecting bus (which is not direct). Now if we had the original light rail route, that would have been a different story...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin