HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Jan 10, 2013, 2:47 AM
Constant Vigilance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattordici View Post
I'm still curious as to what Alabama Power has planned for that parcel that they purchased a bit ago...

EDIT: B T Dubs, I wish there was some website that accurately identified areas that the FAA employs height restrictions. Such a site might allow us to figure out what exactly Alabama Power is planning to do....
Agreed, I'd like to know exactly what Alabama Power is pondering over. Is it going to be some offices or just a power substation for the downtown area? If its the latter, I at least hope it doesn't just stick out like a sore thumb. I had read/heard can't remember about modern designs for substations in dense downtown areas (I believe Vancouver [which is a different urban atmosphere altogether] has something similar with an all glass building). I don't know, but I just hope that it is something pleasing. Its such a prime piece of land

Old Posted Jan 10, 2013, 3:12 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunder89 View Post
Agreed, I'd like to know exactly what Alabama Power is pondering over. Is it going to be some offices or just a power substation for the downtown area? If its the latter, I at least hope it doesn't just stick out like a sore thumb. I had read/heard can't remember about modern designs for substations in dense downtown areas (I believe Vancouver [which is a different urban atmosphere altogether] has something similar with an all glass building). I don't know, but I just hope that it is something pleasing. Its such a prime piece of land
You should see the new East Quad Energy Plant at UA.

Honestly, I don't think it has anything to do with energy at all. I think they have some development in mind, and I've been kind of excited from day one. Why would Alabama Power buy up prime real estate (across the street from a facility they plan to shutter, which also sits on prime real estate in an area that is experiencing a jump in economic and residential activity) just to turn it into some jumble of wires and poles? If they did turn it into some kind of electrical transformer land, they'd be losing money hand over fist.

The amount of time they're spending (after purchasing the plot) leads me to believe that there is something going on... I dunno if it's going to be beneficial or detrimental, but something is going on.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2013, 3:45 AM
Burming Hammer

that site that alabama power bought was the focus of a fairly high-profile competition...

http://prize2thefuture.org/

Old Posted Jan 10, 2013, 4:02 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
that site that alabama power bought was the focus of a fairly high-profile competition...

http://prize2thefuture.org/
I'm familiar with that project. Do I believe that Alabama Power has bought that plot so that they can develop it to realize the dream of that competition? No... there is no profit in it....

Honestly, I'd rather the prize to the future dream be realized; however, Alabama Power just bought the land, and I doubt they will be developing it in any form that conforms to any community arts, technology, or park space unless it is directly related to the company making a profit.

BTW, I don't mean to sound combative. I'm kind of frustrated that the "dream" was never truly carried out. However, Alabama Power has bought the land, and I don't see them using it for any kind of low key or community use.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2013, 4:09 AM
Constant Vigilance!

Quote:
You should see the new East Quad Energy Plant at UA.
I got the chance to see it right before leaving Ttown, it came together nicely after walking by there days on end. Anywho...

All I'm saying is, I hope they take advantage of the land that is there, and make something useful with it. If they could have utilized the Dream competition, that would be...well spectacular.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2013, 6:50 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
I got the chance to see it right before leaving Ttown, it came together nicely after walking by there days on end. Anywho...

All I'm saying is, I hope they take advantage of the land that is there, and make something useful with it. If they could have utilized the Dream competition, that would be...well spectacular.
It really would.

Also, I think the East Quad project did come together nicely.

Anyways, I don't I ever truly expected the whole dream thing to work out; honestly, I'm just a legit entity has shown interest in the land.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2013, 2:51 AM

I had a chance to peek inside of that Alabama Power Company Steam Plant on Powell Avenue and I can imagine them building a structure inside and cutting a skylight or two in the roof for, perhaps a small shopping mall? It is about 3 stories high and very long and very wide, it is a big building. And for the land they bought across Powell Avenue, perhaps a parking deck with other retail outlets or office space on the first floor.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2013, 5:46 PM
Burming Hammer

Alabama Power buys another property by Railroad Park:

http://www.bizjournals.com/birmingha...park-land.html

Hope they're up to something big!

Old Posted Jan 14, 2013, 10:25 PM
Constant Vigilance!

All this buying has me curious! I'm about to have a fit to find out what Alabama Power's plans are. I got to know!

(Hopefully its something that will continue this excitement, and not just a clang on the piano)

Old Posted Jan 14, 2013, 11:20 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
All this buying has me curious! I'm about to have a fit to find out what Alabama Power's plans are. I got to know!

(Hopefully its something that will continue this excitement, and not just a clang on the piano)
I'm worried we're getting excited for nothing. I just hope in a few day we don't hear "Alabama Power plans 2 story telephone pole storage building." I doubt something like that will happen, but I'm just trying not to get TOO excited.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2013, 11:31 PM

Guys, AP is a former client and I have two friends there that are pretty well connected. I'll do a little poking around....

Old Posted Jan 18, 2013, 4:58 AM

I checked with my friends re: APC's recent land purchase in Downtown Birmingham. One hadn't heard a thing, the other only knew of "something going on, with several closed-door meetings." Basically zilch to report, sorry.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2013, 7:00 AM

New Apartments for Downtown

In other news a few new apartment complexes are in the works for the north side. These are all within a block of the Lyric Theatre under renovation currently:

Stonegate Realty is looking to buy the 5-story Booker T. Washington Insurance Co. building (1728 3rd Ave N) and invest $5-7 million to develop apartments. It will hold about 50 units and they may put a restaurant/bar in the basement. The purchase would close in early March and comes with the parking deck attached.

Source, Birmingham Business Journal
----------------------------------------
There are also plans to convert two buildings into apartments and commercial units. The buildings are connected. The JayMark is a 2-story with the second floor holding 4 units and the bottom floors being Residential/Retail. He will try to keep costs under $1Million. The Lichter’s building is a 4-story, but only the first floor will be renovated (for now) to hold two entertainment units (Bars/Restaurants).

Both are owned by Kruse and are located at 1826 Third Ave. North and 1818 Third Ave. N. (respectively)

Source: Al.com Two Historic Buildings in Birmingham Theatre District to Become Lofts

Lyric Theatre Restoration Kickstarts Redevelopment
-------------------------------------------------
Also, the city council will vote next week on rather to sell the land for the proposed 245-unit complex next to RR Park that was meantioned on the last page of this thread. This is the proposal for 3rd Ave and 16th street by the builders of CityVille Block 121.

Source: City Council, Mayor reach some compromise regarding ballpark spending

Old Posted Jan 18, 2013, 11:10 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaguy View Post
I checked with my friends re: APC's recent land purchase in Downtown Birmingham. One hadn't heard a thing, the other only knew of "something going on, with several closed-door meetings." Basically zilch to report, sorry.
Dang... I don't even know how to interpret how secretive they're being. If I had to guess, I'd say it's a good thing. Sounds like it's a pretty fragile deal; however, I don't exactly see them building a high-rise

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5405 View Post
In other news a few new apartment complexes are in the works for the north side. These are all within a block of the Lyric Theatre under renovation currently:

Stonegate Realty is looking to buy the 5-story Booker T. Washington Insurance Co. building (1728 3rd Ave N) and invest $5-7 million to develop apartments. It will hold about 50 units and they may put a restaurant/bar in the basement. The purchase would close in early March and comes with the parking deck attached.

Source, Birmingham Business Journal
----------------------------------------
There are also plans to convert two buildings into apartments and commercial units. The buildings are connected. The JayMark is a 2-story with the second floor holding 4 units and the bottom floors being Residential/Retail. He will try to keep costs under $1Million. The Lichter’s building is a 4-story, but only the first floor will be renovated (for now) to hold two entertainment units (Bars/Restaurants).

Both are owned by Kruse and are located at 1826 Third Ave. North and 1818 Third Ave. N. (respectively)

Source: Al.com Two Historic Buildings in Birmingham Theatre District to Become Lofts

Lyric Theatre Restoration Kickstarts Redevelopment
-------------------------------------------------
Also, the city council will vote next week on rather to sell the land for the proposed 245-unit complex next to RR Park that was meantioned on the last page of this thread. This is the proposal for 3rd Ave and 16th street by the builders of CityVille Block 121.

Source: City Council, Mayor reach some compromise regarding ballpark spending
I can't even begin to imagine what the population of downtown will be in a few years...

Old Posted Jan 19, 2013, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Dang... I don't even know how to interpret how secretive they're being. If I had to guess, I'd say it's a good thing. Sounds like it's a pretty fragile deal; however, I don't exactly see them building a high-rise
I tend to agree that it probably is good news. Remember, their parent Southern Company over here ultimately holds the purse strings. The powers that be at Southern have taken a decidedly urban turn in the past decade - first relocating the HQ's Downtown from the Perimeter and renovating an older tower on Peachtree, followed by moving two blocks north and being the first anchor for the new Allen Plaza several years back (where the Downtown W is).

I honestly don't think they would have purchased such a high profile lot for some utilitarian use considering the explosion of nearby UAB, the success of the new park and now all the announced residential happening in the neighborhood.

Fingers crossed...

Old Posted Jan 19, 2013, 11:19 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaguy View Post
I tend to agree that it probably is good news. Remember, their parent Southern Company over here ultimately holds the purse strings. The powers that be at Southern have taken a decidedly urban turn in the past decade - first relocating the HQ's Downtown from the Perimeter and renovating an older tower on Peachtree, followed by moving two blocks north and being the first anchor for the new Allen Plaza several years back (where the Downtown W is).

I honestly don't think they would have purchased such a high profile lot for some utilitarian use considering the explosion of nearby UAB, the success of the new park and now all the announced residential happening in the neighborhood.

Fingers crossed...
I wasn't aware of what you highlighted in your first paragraph, but I guess that shows some promise.

I definitely agree that they wouldn't have purchased those properties if they weren't planning to do something serious with it. Looking on GoogleEarth, it looks like they now own, what, 3 blocks?

Old Posted Jan 23, 2013, 1:38 PM
Transport Planner

"For nearly two years, professionals from Birmingham’s Regional Planning Commission (RPC) have worked along with individuals, businesses and developers, studying Vestavia Hills’ U.S. 31 Corridor. Their goal was to create a plan for a more economically and socially viable and aesthetically pleasing corridor. Now, this long-awaited, highly anticipated U.S. 31 Corridor Redevelopment Plan is released."

Old Posted Jan 30, 2013, 5:26 AM

Steam Plant Reuse

I would really love to see this building converted to an arts/entertainment complex like the Lowe Mill in Huntsville or the Torpedo Factory in Alexandria, VA.

Quote:
I wasn't aware of what you highlighted in your first paragraph, but I guess that shows some promise.

I definitely agree that they wouldn't have purchased those properties if they weren't planning to do something serious with it. Looking on GoogleEarth, it looks like they now own, what, 3 blocks?

Old Posted Jan 30, 2013, 6:09 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Welcome to the forum, joeplan!

I agree. As far as I know, isn't the current use of the property AP owns next to the steam plant just offices? It would be nice if they could convert that space to eateries, shops, and entertainment; that part of downtown has great potential.

Who knows though, maybe that's what they have in mind. I'm getting really tired of their silence, it only perpetuates my pessimism...

Old Posted Jan 30, 2013, 9:08 PM
Burming Hammer

12-story building downtown to be renovated into "artist's apartments"? seems like a weird location, but i'll take it....

http://www.bizjournals.com/birmingha...-building.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast