HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Dec 5, 2012, 1:10 AM
Realtor

The tree at the CORE looks great:

The CORE Christmas tree by JordanW.ca, on Flickr

... and when they lit the tree on November 28th they had fireworks inside the mall. I was only able to catch the tail end:
Video Link

Old Posted Dec 5, 2012, 1:13 AM

Nice Plensa Bears

Old Posted Dec 10, 2012, 10:20 PM

I don't know if it's been discussed here, but Cannon is planning an amazing store for 8th Avenue Place. It'll be set up like a Apple store where they will have their entire line up of lenses available for use, with origami all over the store to take photos of.

One of their big pitches is a Cannon classroom with photography classes. They plan to include lunch-hour seminars and field trips such as going to Banff for landscape photography.

This is the first of this concept of Cannon store anywhere in the world. Expected opening is mid January, but things are moving a bit slower than expected. Already been delayed once as they wanted to be open for the Christmas rush.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2012, 11:45 PM

That sounds like a great concept, will definitely have to check it out.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 12:13 AM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcccondor View Post
I don't know if it's been discussed here, but Cannon is planning an amazing store for 8th Avenue Place. It'll be set up like a Apple store where they will have their entire line up of lenses available for use, with origami all over the store to take photos of.

One of their big pitches is a Cannon classroom with photography classes. They plan to include lunch-hour seminars and field trips such as going to Banff for landscape photography.

This is the first of this concept of Cannon store anywhere in the world. Expected opening is mid January, but things are moving a bit slower than expected. Already been delayed once as they wanted to be open for the Christmas rush.
Too many nn's in Cannon, Cccondor

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 1:08 AM
Hare Expert

Quote:

Oh god I need to work there.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 1:17 AM
BANNED

Quote:

Really cool!!

Looks like they already have a couple more tenants signed up on the u/c West tower side, and a Caffe Artigiano opening on the second floor of the east tower as well.

http://www.collierscalgary.net/exclu...lace_email.pdf

Any announcements of retail tenant signings at The Bow yet?

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 2:26 AM

According to this document...retail at The Bow appears to be pretty monotonous. Tim Hortons, Starbucks, a convenience store, cleaner, and a bunch of fast food chains. Yawn.

http://taurusgroup.com/pdf/Brochure%20-%20The%20Bow.pdf

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 3:22 AM
BANNED

^That's too bad. I would have thought with the abundance of high-end coffee shops in the city, the developer would have been more choosy. Then again, I bet Tim Horton's and Starbucks did their market research long ago and were salivating at the the chance to open in a building with over 4,000 employees. I wonder if "The Patisserie Du Soleil" and "The Mercatinos" are actual store openings or just the names the developer came up with for the different retail bay locations haha.

Speaking of coffee shops, was killing time on a Monday night and noticed that Good Earth is opening a few more inner-city locations. One in the Centennial building, one in Kensington, and one in, get this....Stampede trail in 2013. Wonder if this means Stampede Trail is a go???

http://www.goodearthcafes.com/locations/alberta/calgary

Last edited by Spring2008; Dec 11, 2012 at 3:42 AM.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 4:59 AM
not a NIMBY

I went to Cross Iron Mills for the first time today. I would like to say now that I have been, I'll never go back, but I would go back to see a movie.
I like the Costco up there, I call it Cross Country Costco. During the weekday it is really quiet. Did you know you don't need a membership to buy at Costco's liquor store?
Their Kirkland brand vodka is from the Grey Goose distillery at half the price.

Cross Iron Mills Mall by LUMIN8, on Flickr

MacCool's looks really nice

Fionn MacCool's Pub Cross Iron Mills Mall by LUMIN8, on Flickr

I like some of the sculptures and art

Cros Iron Mills Mall by LUMIN8, on Flickr

Monday morning is nice and quiet, but still zombie shoppers walked into me.

Cross iron Mills Mall by LUMIN8, on Flickr

I don't need to drive to Balzac for Jugo, but that was where I ended up in the food court.

Jugo Juice Cross Iron Mills Mall by LUMIN8, on Flickr

I like Chinook Centre and their food court better

food court Cross Iron Mills Mall by LUMIN8, on Flickr

I didn't buy a thing but I had a nice long walk and my friend, who drove, got what she needed within an hour.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 5:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring2008 View Post
^That's too bad. I would have thought with the abundance of high-end coffee shops in the city, the developer would have been more choosy. Then again, I bet Tim Horton's and Starbucks did their market research long ago and were salivating at the the chance to open in a building with over 4,000 employees. I wonder if "The Patisserie Du Soleil" and "The Mercatinos" are actual store openings or just the names the developer came up with for the different retail bay locations haha.

Speaking of coffee shops, was killing time on a Monday night and noticed that Good Earth is opening a few more inner-city locations. One in the Centennial building, one in Kensington, and one in, get this....Stampede trail in 2013. Wonder if this means Stampede Trail is a go???

http://www.goodearthcafes.com/locations/alberta/calgary
I'm not putting too much stock into it. Honestly, I want that neighbourhood to develop & prosper, but I can't say I'd be sad to see something a bit less tacky move forward than what's currently proposed.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring2008 View Post
I wonder if "The Patisserie Du Soleil" and "The Mercatinos" are actual store openings or just the names the developer came up with for the different retail bay locations haha.
Haha, I thought the same thing. Apparently though, at least Patisserie du Soleil has a location in SW Calgary. Has anyone been?

http://www.patisseriedusoleil.com/

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plus15 View Post
Haha, I thought the same thing. Apparently though, at least Patisserie du Soleil has a location in SW Calgary. Has anyone been?

Very good bakery, they did our wedding cake last summer and it was fantastic. Also very very affordable for those who are planning a wedding and don't want to pay the insane prices that most bakeries charge. I think they also have a location in one of the farmers markets (not sure which one).

Let's hope that the "Burgers" location is something different like Smash Burger... Please not another Wendy's

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 4:11 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimby View Post
I went to Cross Iron Mills for the first time today. I would like to say now that I have been, I'll never go back, but I would go back to see a movie.
I like the Costco up there, I call it Cross Country Costco. During the weekday it is really quiet. Did you know you don't need a membership to buy at Costco's liquor store?
It looks absolutely dead in there. Chinook stays fairly busy during the weekday (nearby workers, mall rats from nearby schools) and week nights. I can only imagine how dead Cross Iron Mills is on a Tuesday afternoon.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 4:16 PM
not a NIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusili View Post
It looks absolutely dead in there. Chinook stays fairly busy during the weekday (nearby workers, mall rats from nearby schools) and week nights. I can only imagine how dead Cross Iron Mills is on a Tuesday afternoon.
To be fair, it was shortly after opening at 10 am on a Monday. Lots of people were arriving as I was making my escape.
Even though it was quiet, still the zombie shoppers walked right into me with their stupid phones and looking back while walking forward.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 6:54 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
According to this document...retail at The Bow appears to be pretty monotonous. Tim Hortons, Starbucks, a convenience store, cleaner, and a bunch of fast food chains. Yawn.

http://taurusgroup.com/pdf/Brochure%20-%20The%20Bow.pdf
Kim Chi Korean Delight- I go to Market Mall just to get their tteokbokki (they call it tupogi), extra spicy with chicken and extra rice cake. One of my favourite fast food meals anywhere. Every dish is made to order.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 7:10 PM

Quote:

Been meaning to go ever since we moved to Woodbine but haven't yet. They have a huge lineup most Saturday and Sunday mornings when I've driven past.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 8:43 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimby View Post

I like Chinook Centre and their food court better

food court Cross Iron Mills Mall by LUMIN8, on Flickr

I didn't buy a thing but I had a nice long walk and my friend, who drove, got what she needed within an hour.
Hopefully the Bow's fake sky-foodcourt trees look better than this.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2012, 8:41 PM
BANNED

This confirms a new retail expansion. The quote in bold below is really interesting.

Quote:
Napper leaves GM job at Chinook Centre after 18 years

In the fall, Napper told the Herald that the addition of high-profile American retailers Target and Nordstrom to Chinook Centre will push annual retail sales at the mall to nearly $1 billion within a couple of years.

Chinook has 225 retailers in 1.4 million square feet.

Before the last expansion, total annual sales were about $480 million for the entire shopping centre. At the end of August, the rolling 12-month sales for all stores at Chinook totalled $720 million.

“Calgary is starting to reach that global level in terms of retail exposure,” said Napper in the fall.

“A lot of the deals that we’re working on can’t be mentioned at this point, but that list is growing. There will be more global retailers opening in Chinook than I think Calgary has ever dreamed of.”

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/busines...#ixzz2F9fdXeAi

Old Posted Dec 22, 2012, 4:35 PM
not a NIMBY

70,000 people expected to visit Chinook Centre today.
I won't be one of them!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy