HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 23, 2012, 3:27 PM
GQMF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Rommheim View Post
You know what? FUCK McDick's. And FUCK Puke Horton's. And FUCK the Rogers building in DT Montreal. The ugliest piece of shite building I've ever seen in my (albeit short) life.
No one fucking cares.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2012, 4:36 PM

My opinion of what constitutes good coffee has changed dramatically since I stopped taking sugar in it. I used to swear by Starbucks' darker, damn near burned roasts. It tasted great when I took three sugars and cream with my coffee. But, once I dialled that back to no sugars and regular milk, the stuff just tasted like bitter sludge to me. Upon trying Tim Hortons, McDonalds, or Good Earth's light roast, I realized I liked that stuff way more. It wasn't excessively bitter, acidic, and didn't leave my stomach grumbling all day long. I learned that light roast doesn't mean "watered down", "bland", or "weak" (light roasts actually contain more caffeine)... it just means less bitter. Instead of being overwhelmed by bitterness, I can actually taste a whole suite of flavours that are completely absent (or covered up) in darker roasts.

Now that Starbucks has introduced their light roast in stores, however, I don't have any problems finding a cup of coffee I'll like. I can get one from Starbucks, McDonalds, Tim Hortons, Good Earth, Cafe Artigiano...

The absolute best coffee I've ever had, however, comes from Voets Coffee in Vernon BC. Perfectly balanced!

As for rims, and the rolling up thereof... nothing yet.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2012, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floobie View Post
Upon trying Tim Hortons, McDonalds, or Good Earth's light roast, I realized I liked that stuff way more. It wasn't excessively bitter, acidic, and didn't leave my stomach grumbling all day long. I learned that light roast doesn't mean "watered down", "bland", or "weak" (light roasts actually contain more caffeine)... it just means less bitter. Instead of being overwhelmed by bitterness, I can actually taste a whole suite of flavours that are completely absent (or covered up) in darker roasts.
I have to agree with you, I can't stand the strong bitter taste of a dark roasted coffee. Not only that, but depending on where I go, it tastes almost burnt to me.

McDonalds is anywhere but consistent with their coffee. Sometimes it seems like they pour twice the amount of sugar in the cups.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2012, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
You would have to purchase their poor excuse for flavoured ass water to be able to even have a chance at winning. Personally I am of the opinion that winners are those who buy good coffee.
I'm sorry, but people's taste in Coffee is all just a matter of taste and opinion. It your taste requires you to pay extra for a cup of coffee.....you might want to redefine the term 'winner'.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2012, 7:39 PM
HVAC guru

I'm no coffee snob, I get my morning Java from a variety of places, including the odd Timmy's. I prefer 2nd cup or the Good Earth in our complex.

concur about Voets. My favorite roaster is Java Jive in Edmonton... Best coffee in the city IMO

Old Posted Feb 23, 2012, 8:24 PM

Living outside Canada at the moment, if there's one thing I miss, it's drinking Tim Hortons coffee. I really do miss it.

Where I am right now, I can still roll up the rim on my coffee cup, but the chances of me winning even a donut or free drink are zilch.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2012, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew6 View Post
I just can't understand the devotion they inspire.
What other place can I find a donut on my way to work or on my break?

Nowhere but Timmy's, that's where.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2012, 10:13 PM
I am a typical

Why do you need a donut?

Old Posted Feb 23, 2012, 10:19 PM

i have never ever won anything, not even a freaking coffee. jeez.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2012, 10:22 PM
Kevin Folds Five

Typically I go for the richest, darkest black coffee I can get my hands on. Usually from La Crema or just french press it at home, but I do enjoy the occasional cup of light roast coffee.

The new Starbucks roast, Blonde, is actually really good. It's got great notes, and is superb with a little cream.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2012, 11:39 PM
SUSPENDED

Did you know that the average donut a at Tim's is 300 calories, 20 grams of sugar and 17 grams of fat!!

Thats 1/2 hour on the bike to burn that off.

Brought to you by:

The Cliff Calvin School of somewhat useless knowledge.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2012, 11:54 PM
I am a typical

There is also an additional 40 minutes of sitting in the shower, crying in shame for what you've done.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2012, 12:24 AM
Registered Drug User

Tims are meeting places for people in rural areas and small towns who aren't fashionable urban sophisticates. Oh, and in Hamilton, too. None of these people could give a rat's patooey about what urbanophiles think of the coffee.

Stratford has four Tim Horton's that are often filled with farmers and people from surrounding villages (you can tell because the pickups are muddy). Then there are four independent "gourmand de cafe" places run by passionate people who could tell you which side of the hill the beans grew on, and these places are frequented by the creative crowd (you can tell because their laptops have icons of half-eaten apples on them).

There's also a Coffee Culture, a chain that started in Woodstock a few years ago and has spread like wildfire throughout Ontario. It has carved out a niche as a happy medium between Horton's and the snooty independents--it's open late like Horton's, but it's downtown and has a more Euro-ish decor and ambience, with lots of comfy leather sofa chairs.

I don't drink coffee. Never have. What's it like?

Old Posted Feb 24, 2012, 12:39 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
Like a fine dark chocolate that spent a few hours wallowing in mud before you consumed it. I can enjoy 99% cocoa but I can't stand coffee even with cream and sugar.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2012, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
Tims are meeting places for people in rural areas and small towns who aren't fashionable urban sophisticates. Oh, and in Hamilton, too. None of these people could give a rat's patooey about what urbanophiles think of the coffee.

Stratford has four Tim Horton's that are often filled with farmers and people from surrounding villages (you can tell because the pickups are muddy). Then there are four independent "gourmand de cafe" places run by passionate people who could tell you which side of the hill the beans grew on, and these places are frequented by the creative crowd (you can tell because their laptops have icons of half-eaten apples on them).

There's also a Coffee Culture, a chain that started in Woodstock a few years ago and has spread like wildfire throughout Ontario. It has carved out a niche as a happy medium between Horton's and the snooty independents--it's open late like Horton's, but it's downtown and has a more Euro-ish decor and ambience, with lots of comfy leather sofa chairs.

Well said. I had chuckle at your sterotypes. Right now my Trailblazer has mud on it, so you can call me a suburbanite!

Old Posted Feb 24, 2012, 1:28 AM
HVAC guru

Tim's is a whole lot better than gas station/ convenience store swill. A few years ago I spent a full three weeks driving to every Telus wire centre within 200km's of Edmonton evaluating HVAC equipment.. spent the whole time driving with a Turkish engineer who chain smoked and was addicted to coffee.... every 50 k's or so we'd stop to grab a coffee at various towns too small to have a Timmys. I drank some terrible shit... Tim's would have been most welcomed.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2012, 1:37 AM
I am a typical

"Tim Hortons: At Least It Is Better Than Gas Station Swill".

Old Posted Feb 24, 2012, 1:41 AM
ハルウララ

I'm basically going to echo rousseau's post about Tim's being a rural staple.

Best Tim's i've ever been to is in Meteghan, Nova Scotia. 24/7 and filled with fishermen. And french, to boot.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2012, 3:20 AM
So very tired...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
"Tim Hortons: At Least It Is Better Than Gas Station Swill".
Disagree. Gas stations that have Van Houtte coffee is better than Timmies. By far. As far as chains go, I like second cup. Good flavour, and not burnt bitter crap like Starbucks.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2012, 4:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulliver View Post
Disagree. Gas stations that have Van Houtte coffee is better than Timmies. By far. As far as chains go, I like second cup. Good flavour, and not burnt bitter crap like Starbucks.
Van Houtte is my least-favourite coffee. A restaurant I used to work at served that stuff, and I didn't like it at all. We did change coffee suppliers at one point to Mother Parkers.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada