HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Tribeca West in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Ottawa Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jan 2, 2009, 1:27 PM
Closed account

Chances are, if the OMB reversed a municipal decision, the municipal decision ran counter to either its own policies or the provincial policies. Sometimes the OMB screws up, but more often municipalities simply have poorly written policies.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2009, 4:57 PM

Old Posted Sep 12, 2009, 5:57 PM
National Capital Region

Portrait gallery supporters dismayed at demise

‘They’ve relegated one of the greatest treasure troves to ignominity. Nobody will see it’

BY MARIA COOK, THE OTTAWA CITIZENSEPTEMBER 11, 2009

OTTAWA-Supporters of a portrait gallery in Ottawa reacted with disappointment that the idea of a new cultural institution with its own building is dead under the current federal government.

“The portrait gallery is still a valuable idea and you can’t kill an idea,” said Ottawa Centre New Democrat MP Paul Dewar.

“You can withdraw the commitment, you can dress it up and call it a program, but most people who want to see our culture flourish in national institutions want to see the idea of the portrait gallery come to life.”

Dewar called for a return to the original plan to house the gallery in the former U.S. embassy building on Wellington Street. He said $11.4 million had already been spent renovating the building.

A further $1.9 million was spent on a 2007 competition between Canadian cities to host the gallery.

“We need more public spaces for everyone to enjoy. It shows a lack of imagination as well as a not very smart fiscal decision,” said Dewar.

Charlotte Gray, chair of Canada’s History Society, called the decision sad.

“You have one of the most monumental parliamentary blocks in the world on one side of one of the most historic streets in Canada and on the other side just one empty building after another; a smile with half the teeth missing,” she said. “We just don’t value Ottawa as a capital city. Portrait galleries are so popular everywhere. It’s a loss of a cultural institution that has so much value in reinforcing Canadians’ sense that we have a fascinating and complicated history.”

Liberal Senator Jerry Grafstein, who has a bill to establish a permanent portrait gallery in Ottawa, said he will urge colleagues to vote on it next week.

“The fight goes on. Let parliament in a minority government decide whether a cultural institution should happen in Ottawa,” he said. “They’ve relegated one of the greatest treasure troves to ignominity. Nobody will see it.”

Edward Jones, the British architect who designed a renovation and addition to the U.S. embassy, said the gallery seems to have captured popular imagination.

“Should a virtual gallery materialize, this will quickly seem second best to the real thing, and hopefully when the Liberal government is back in power sanity will prevail,” said Jones.

“Canada is a great country and, as with all great countries, it needs a portrait gallery to celebrate its heroes — and the occasional villain.”

A spokeswoman for the federal department of public works said no decision has been regarding the future use of the former embassy building. “We are continuing to explore options,” the spokeswoman said.

The Harper government has looked into using it as a reception space for dignitaries.

“Tell us what you’re going to use it for,” said Peter Hume, chair of the City of Ottawa’s planning committee.

“Tell us how it fits into the streetscape,” he said. “If that’s where you’re’ going to meet President Obama or Gordon Brown or Nicolas Sarkozy, maybe that’s good. But get at it. Show us how that’s going to add to the fabric of the capital. We’re faced with a gaping hole along a signature street with hoarding around it,” he said.

Hume said Ottawa “seems to have gotten the short end of the stick” all around. “We have no portrait gallery. We have a hole along Wellington Street. And now we have zoning that allows two (27-storey) towers.”

In a deal with Claridge Homes, which bid to house the gallery in the base of two condo towers, the city had allowed extra height on a downtown site. The Ontario Municipal Board gave even more.

“We were trading height for public good. That doesn’t exist anymore,” said Hume.

Neil Malhotra, of Claridge, said they have been “retooling” the project in the wake of the competition’s cancellation and economic downturn. He said its too early to disclose but “we’re looking to bring some exciting uses to the site. Things lacking in Centretown, community retail type things.”

City councillor Diane Holmes said Ottawa had a “very negative” experience in participating in the competition.

“The City of Ottawa acted in good faith by entering into discussions with Claridge on a national portrait gallery of Canada in their project, and provided the required support,” she said.

“It is clear now that the government never intended to provide the funding for the gallery. It’s quite obvious they have no interest in culture,” she added “They don’t believe in supporting the history or the culture of this country.”

© Copyright (c) The Ottawa Citizen

Old Posted Oct 31, 2009, 3:15 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

187 Metcalfe St. | 84.5m | 27 fl x 2 | Proposed

There's been an awful lot of talk and speculation about this site, including a former proposal to include the new National Portrait Gallery, and now we have some more concrete information to work with.

Claridge is proposing to develop the site with a mixed-use building with frontage on Metcalfe, Lisgar and Nepean Streets. The development include two 27-story residential towers along Nepean Street, with commercial/public uses in the lower levels, and townhouses located along Lisgar Street.

The planning rationale, renderings and floorplans are posted here:

http://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans/...appId=__7S9MFN

Old Posted Oct 31, 2009, 4:00 PM

I hate to say it, but a supermarket, daycare, 27 story tower on the dense side of the complex and only 7 story on lisgar with townhouse at street level, throw in a green roof, I like it. The computer generate image to me is pretty plain, I'd like to see what type of finishes there are going to use, hopefully not the faux-art-deco look, though the artistic rendering seems interesting. I think this has alot of potential. I guess will see what comes of it.

Cheers,
Josh

Old Posted Oct 31, 2009, 4:40 PM
Living With My Mother

It's certainly an improvement over what's on that site now. Although my question is how profoundly will Place Bell block its view of Parliament?

Old Posted Oct 31, 2009, 9:46 PM

The slanted roof on the west tower looks interestingly different from usual downtown buildings, and a grocery store in ground floor would be a good addition to area.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2009, 10:08 PM
Busy Beaver

This is the best thing to happen for this part of Centretown in a long time. I'm all for it.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2009, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Bates View Post
It's certainly an improvement over what's on that site now. Although my question is how profoundly will Place Bell block its view of Parliament?
I'm not sure it would given that Place Bell is northeast of the site and parliament is north/northwest. That being said, I'm not sure if it would matter anyways...

Looks like a really well planned development, the area could really use a grocery store and there's always demand for day care spaces in the core.

I wonder which grocery store would be interested in setting up shop?

Old Posted Nov 1, 2009, 1:19 AM
Living With My Mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjhall View Post
I wonder which grocery store would be interested in setting up shop?
It could be an opportunity for Shoppers Drug Mart to continue its city-wide takeover.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2009, 1:48 AM
Busy Beaver

My guess would be Metro. It's a good fit for them, their nearest stores are Rideau and in the Glebe. Also they seem to have similar medium sized stores. I suspect this would be too small for Loblaws to be interested.

Last edited by Kitchissippi; Nov 1, 2009 at 5:05 AM.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2009, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Bates View Post
It could be an opportunity for Shoppers Drug Mart to continue its city-wide takeover.
Heh. I wouldn't even rule it out. Regarding the grocery store, someone was going to put in a funky new grocery store a few blocks away on Elgin, but the project was put on hold (or maybe cancelled?)

Old Posted Nov 1, 2009, 2:40 PM

Looks good. Parking lots begone!

Old Posted Nov 1, 2009, 5:33 PM

Wow, this will be really interesting! Like any project, it's really going to depend on building materials whether or not it looks good, but I think we're starting from a good spot here. Can't wait to see some more detailed renderings.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2009, 3:09 PM
Mooderator

Diane better keep a set of paddles on hand, lest she go into cardiac arrest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi View Post
My guess would be Metro. It's a good fit for them, their nearest stores are Rideau and in the Glebe. Also they seem to have similar medium sized stores. I suspect this would be too small for Loblaws to be interested.
Maybe a Price Chopper or No-Frills could work there too?

Old Posted Nov 2, 2009, 3:16 PM
Mooderator

I will change the title of this thread to Rocketphish's description..

Old Posted Nov 2, 2009, 3:43 PM
National Capital Region

For urban grocery stores, there's also Sobey's "Urban Fresh" stores

Old Posted Nov 2, 2009, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
Diane better keep a set of paddles on hand, lest she go into cardiac arrest.
Good one...I'm sure she is having fits about this one.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2009, 5:11 PM
National Capital Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proof Sheet View Post
Good one...I'm sure she is having fits about this one.
It looks like the tower is at the 84.5 m height limit but the roof element (mechanical penthouse?) extends maybe 10m/3fl beyond that... uh oh maybe we'll see some kind of sneaky edits proposed for the by-law definitions

Old Posted Nov 3, 2009, 3:00 AM
R2-D2's army of death

I approve but I'm sure of the residents in the imediate area do not. Also, I'm sure Diane Holmes will fight this tooth and nail...
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa