HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Oct 6, 2013, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smevo View Post
Scenario 2 - CBRM doubles, Sydney leads the charge
Growth would happen in the same areas, more intense high density infill downtown Sydney, added suburban growth in Kyte's Hill. Slightly slower growth in the same areas of the rest of CBRM.

Population estimates 2023:
Sydney - 83,660
Glace Bay - 34,320
Northside - 24,300
New Waterford - 14,020
Eskasoni - 5,310
Membertou - 1,820
"Rural" - 40,720
CBRM - 203,240

Both Scenario 1 & 2 would put major pressure on existing infrastructure. The port-to-port highway with continued bypass to Glace Bay or Donkin would gain more traction, as would passenger ferries running Westmount-Sydney and Northside-Sydney. Major financial strain on the municipality as well (moreso than usual).
I'd love to see Sydney close in on 100,000 like this scenerio. I know it won't happen in my lifetime unless something completely unforeseen happens, but I can dream.

Mainly because it would be a city of 80,000+ people just 2 hours of driving and a ferry ride from home. Stephenville is equi-distant in terms of real travel distance from Sydney as it is from Grand Falls-Windsor, NL. If Marine Atlantic would reel in their rates, weekend shopping trips and getaways would be a real possibility.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2014, 10:39 PM
New Brunswick booster!

I grew up in a little town called Centreville in Western New Brunswick. Its population would double to 1060 lmao. Maybe they would get a second gas station! :p

Old Posted Sep 3, 2014, 8:34 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor3 View Post
I'd love to see Sydney close in on 100,000 like this scenerio. I know it won't happen in my lifetime unless something completely unforeseen happens, but I can dream.

Mainly because it would be a city of 80,000+ people just 2 hours of driving and a ferry ride from home. Stephenville is equi-distant in terms of real travel distance from Sydney as it is from Grand Falls-Windsor, NL. If Marine Atlantic would reel in their rates, weekend shopping trips and getaways would be a real possibility.
Hmm, makes you wonder what would happen if the ferry had solid WIFI.

Add to that free cabins and such in the winter months and maybe something could happen.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
For Fredericton, I suspect my analysis won't be as good as the above two excellent takes, but I'll toss my nickle into the pot
Nice analysis. I drew up a quick map showing my personal analysis, which sort of follows your ideas.

Hanwell, New Maryland, Lincoln, Lower St. Marys, Richibucto Road, St. Marys, and Douglas would all be absorbed in whole or in part. Red lines are New Primary Streets, Including:
-Third Bridge
-Extension of 2NC beyond Cliffe, along Gilbert, and across the Nashwaak to the Marysville Bypass
-Limited-Access expressway from the west end of St-Annes-Point Dr. to New bridge approach
-New Streets on the east and west sides of the Woodlot
-Roads from Doak Rd. to New Maryland and from Hanwell to New Maryland
-Upgrades to Doak Rd. to become a primary street
-Extension of Cliffe St. north to connect with Penniac Bridge and the Marysville Bypass

New Interchanges:
-Overpass with partial ramps (to/from Prospect) at Doak Rd./Vanier
-Ring Rd at Maple, 2NC, Brookside, New Bridge Approach
-Along commercial corridor surrounding TCH
-Realigned Interchange at North end of PMB, it might also be twinned.

The houses show residential areas, the Suitcases show Business/Industrial/Commercial areas. The black line is a new rail line; it would theoretically follow the TCH and then Routes 8 and 7 to a station on Knowledge Park Drive. A new alignment would be used since the old ones have all been converted to trails.
I forgot to draw it, but I think a few ideas could include a walking bridge on the Carleton St. Piers and a multi-use trail Paralelling Regent St. and the New Maryland highway between NM and Downtown. I like your Transit ideas especially, although I'm no urban planner so my zoning may be a bit off, and my plan lacks areas with proper town centres and high-density, multi-purpose developments. Fredericton has yet to take advantage of the New TCH, so it should be very interesting to see if we can grow into it like we did over 40 years with the old one.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2014, 11:54 AM

Nice map/analysis there. Even if we don't double in 10 years, it would probably make a decent long term planning map for guidelines.

About the only adjustment I would make, would be to plan for a Highway to connect the Marysville Bypass to the 3rd Crossing, making a true-Ring Road around Freddy North. And then I'd toss in the idea to Twin the PMB that someone posted a long while back, so that combined with Route 8, we'd have a true Ring Road Highway around Fredericton. (By then the Route 8 Traffic Circle would probably need to be upgraded to an Overpass) Route 8 to the 3rd Overpass would probably be a Y split in the highway, similar to how Route 8/TCH splits.

I don't think we could extend St Anne's to the 3rd Bridge; Woodstock Road parallels that already, and the space it would go through is Flood Plain and/or historical lands (the Governor's House and stuff). I think if Route 8 links up with a North Ring Road, that would handle most of the North/South River crossing traffic, and Westmorland will be just for people going downtown; New Bridge and PMB would handle North/South traffic to the Malls/2NC.

Also by then, YFC would probably be in City Limits. If we're going to absorb Lincoln, we might as well grab our namesake Airport at the same time.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces