Old Posted Dec 17, 2006, 11:17 PM
Mr. Technology

Update: 12/17/2006
Deutsche Deconstruction

Old Posted Dec 24, 2006, 7:18 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish View Post

O! O! I want to climb the staircase in the scaffolding up the side!

Old Posted Dec 28, 2006, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
O! O! I want to climb the staircase in the scaffolding up the side!
It would be a great exercise every morning.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2006, 11:54 AM
BANNED

Imagine having to walk up all those stairs? I'd be dead!! Elevator please.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2006, 6:46 AM
Twin Towers Guy / NYC

great workout i did the E.S.B.TWICE,THE EASY WAY GOING DOWN, BUT IT WAS FUN.......

Old Posted Dec 30, 2006, 10:55 AM
BANNED

Are you ready to try it going up? Haha!!

Old Posted Jan 4, 2007, 12:42 AM

The sooner they get rid of that eyesore and the other 2 eyesores (that small building next to 130 Liberty Street and Fiterman Hole-in-the-wall...er...Hall) the better. Once they are gone/repaired/whatever I would say that the old chapter can finally close for good.

"Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue..."

Old Posted Jan 4, 2007, 2:36 AM
BANNED

The small bulding next to the DBB, according to what I heard, won't be demolished entirely.

Just some of it. The rest of it will be given a facelift.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2007, 2:07 AM

NY Times
January 4, 2007
Blocks
By DAVID W. DUNLAP

The Building That Wouldn’t Go Away

A view of the former Deutsche Bank building, which was damaged and seriously contaminated when the nearby World Trade Center towers fell.

THE dismantling of the Deutsche Bank building will begin this fall and — after careful, systematic deconstruction — it will be gone next year.”

The speaker was Gov. George E. Pataki. The next year was 2005.

He’s gone. The building isn’t.

After a long while in which the demolition deadline at the badly contaminated former Deutsche Bank building at 130 Liberty Street seemed to be elastic, officials now say its deconstruction by the end of this year is critical to progress at the rest of the World Trade Center site.

“Any delay imperils the overall time schedule that we’ve established,” Deputy Mayor Daniel L. Doctoroff said yesterday.

That means that the 41-story tower will have to start coming down at the rate of almost one floor a week, leaving little margin for further delay.

“We have been given assurances that the building will be down by the end of this year,” said Stephen Sigmund, a spokesman for the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, “assurances we are trusting since that is absolutely the latest we can accept in order to meet the Port Authority’s aggressive and accountable timetable.”

Gov. Eliot Spitzer is “confident that the demolition will proceed according to schedule,” his press secretary, Christine Anderson, said. She added that the state “will take every precaution while the search for human remains continues.”

To date, 766 remains have been recovered from the building. The first through fifth floors remain to be searched.

Charles J. Maikish, the executive director of the Lower Manhattan Construction Command Center, which has taken over the deconstruction project on what he called an “interim basis” from the Lower Manhattan Development Corporation, sounded optimistic.

“The planning, the engineering, the sequencing, the deconstruction method, the environmental controls have all been approved by the regulators and the work is going forward,” he said last week. (In fact, one could look over Mr. Maikish’s shoulder in his 29th-floor office at 1 Liberty Plaza and watch as workers removed aluminum sheathing from the columns at the top of the former bank tower.)

“A floor a week is achievable,” Mr. Maikish said.

But there is at least one big imponderable. The state is negotiating with Bovis Lend Lease, the construction manager for the demolition project, and its subcontractor, the John Galt Corporation. The companies are seeking more money to cover expenses they had not anticipated when they submitted their bid, since the decontamination has proved far more complex and demanding than had been envisioned.

At issue is roughly $30 million in extra expenses and how much of that should be borne by the contractors.

For a few days beginning on Dec. 11, only 15 or 20 of Galt’s workers, about 10 percent of the usual complement, were on the job. The Lower Manhattan Development Corporation called this a walkout and said negotiations would not resume until it ended. By Dec. 15, a full crew was back at work.

About the negotiations, Mary Costello, a senior vice president of Bovis, said yesterday, “Bovis believes that the parties, exercising good faith, can resolve the issue.”

At first glance, it may be hard to see why the fate of the main trade center is so closely linked to an old bank tower one block south. But the sites are tightly linked — underground — through the Vehicular Security Center that the Port Authority plans to build on the south side of Liberty Street, an area now partly occupied by 130 Liberty Street. A series of ramps in this center will lead to the network of subterranean roadways tying the new trade center together.

Before the authority can build the center, it must first construct a reverse bathtub, contained by large slurry walls, to keep the groundwater out. And before it can construct the bathtub, the authority must move a large sewer line that is now under Liberty Street.

The relocated sewer line and part of the slurry wall run about 180 feet through the 130 Liberty Street parcel. To compress work time as much as possible, the authority plans to begin building the sewer line and the slurry wall before the tower is completely demolished, then finish the work once the tower has been razed.

In 2010, a year before the Vehicular Security Center is scheduled to be complete, its ramps are to be used for trucks serving the final phase of construction at Silverstein Properties’ Tower 3 and Tower 4 on the main trade center site. That access is guaranteed by an agreement with Silverstein, which must, in turn, finish the towers by Dec. 31, 2011.

The timetable is tight. So no matter how confident officials sound in public, there are more than enough tenterhooks to go around.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2007, 4:20 AM
BANNED

Well, it at least looks like the process has begun.

Let's all hope that there AREN'T any further delays with the project.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2007, 5:49 AM

Simple process for this. First start with making sure the roof and upper floors have no remains while you are doing all the prep work (this may have been done already). Second, dismantle the building as planned. Use the time to search the first to fifth floor as well. That way things can overlap. Sheesh...

Old Posted Jan 8, 2007, 6:38 AM
BANNED

You'd think that would be the easy way to do it, but these bozos don't seem to have the brains God gave a goose!!

Anything that seems to make the most sense, they refuse to do it!!

Last edited by Daquan13; Jan 9, 2007 at 11:07 AM.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2007, 5:28 AM

Yep, I noticed that.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2007, 3:29 PM

NY Times
February 10, 2007

Bank’s Razing at 9/11 Site Will Be Soon, Officials Say

By DAVID W. DUNLAP
In what has become a familiar ritual downtown, officials said yesterday — and this time they really, truly meant it — that demolition would soon begin at the damaged and contaminated former Deutsche Bank building opposite ground zero.

They said that Bovis Lend Lease, which is in charge of dismantling the 41-story bank tower at 130 Liberty Street, must do so by the end of the year under a newly amended contract. That is almost one floor a week.

“I believe we have solved our problem,” Deputy Mayor Daniel L. Doctoroff said yesterday.

Clearing that parcel is now critical to construction progress throughout the World Trade Center site.

Bovis was awarded the $75 million demolition contract in 2005. Preliminary cleanup work at the building stopped several times to address the concerns of environmental regulators and to accommodate the search for human remains.

More recently, with the regulatory coast looking clear, work slowed as Bovis and its subcontractor, the John Galt Corporation, negotiated with the Lower Manhattan Development Corporation over an extra $30 million in pay for the project, which has been far more complex than anticipated. Officials said that sometimes only a fraction of the normal complement of workers was on the job.

On Jan. 29, Gov. Eliot Spitzer and Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg intervened personally to break the impasse, summoning executives of Bovis, Galt and Arch Insurance to Gracie Mansion and telling them they could not leave until an understanding was reached.

“The most significant part of the negotiations was the commitment to get the building down on schedule by the end of the year,” said Avi Schick, the downstate chief operating officer and president of the Empire State Development Corporation. The Lower Manhattan Development Corporation is a subsidiary.

Bovis will be paid an additional $9.7 million under the amended contract to account for the project’s complexity. But it risks losing up to $29 million in subsequent payments if it does not complete the demolition on time.

“Yes, this will cost more than we thought,” Mr. Doctoroff said, “but this is not inappropriate, given how the circumstances have clearly changed. The key thing is that the workforce, which had dwindled down to 30, is now above 200 again.”

The imminent demolition of 130 Liberty Street was first promised three years ago, when Gov. George E. Pataki vowed it would come down in 2005.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2007, 6:24 PM
BANNED

TalB posted this same story over at SSC.

And I thought they were already on the case, but there's been another stumbling block!

Old Posted Mar 25, 2007, 6:58 PM

Any updates on this? Lowermanhattan.info:s Daily Activities says:

Quote:
*The following information was last updated on March 2, 2007.

Current activities include:
* Decontamination and abatement continues downward
* Deconstruction operations are underway, and removal of structural steel begins by early March 2007
I mean, it's now end of March... although these rough dates don't appear to be valid (as seen on FT) but they should get cracking if they're going to have this building demolished by Septemper 2007. Or perhaps, is there more bone fragments found

Old Posted Mar 26, 2007, 3:43 AM
BANNED

The dismantling will take about a year from start to finish, and I don't think it'll be down by September.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2007, 12:47 PM

Old Posted Apr 10, 2007, 5:35 AM
low-riding

its finally noticably coming down.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2007, 6:26 AM
BANNED

Yeah, they're removing the facade and windows first.

I think it'll be a painstaking process because every piece of the facade has to be packaged in plastic bags as it is taken off the frame.

This method is to preclude the spread of cancer-causing asbestos in the area.

Great pics, BTW!!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture