HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 4, 2005, 10:08 PM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyskyline
Oh & I would also love to see a current rendering of the Dubai skyline!
Dubai doesn't have one single skyline but a few clusters. One is in the old centre where the towers are not so tall, one is the famous highway one and the other is the marina, jumeirah lakes and media city. The highway one will change to more of a cluster in the future.

BTW as I already said the tower heights aren't as crazy as they seem. First of all a lot of them have massive spires so some won't reach 300m to the roof. Secondly there's nothing to say some will get shelved or reduced. If you read skyscrapercity there are rumours of new height restrictions due to the airport (It's very silly in some cases). The Al Durrah might be reduced to 200m quoted by an informed forumer over at SSC due to this. This restriction is quite stupid since Emirates towers across the road reach up to 350m. Aswell al durrah is miles away from the airport. (pity because that was one of my favourite designs). One tower which is in big trouble is the megatall at park square though.

The renders of al burj show it having 205 floors and reaching around 900m in height. There's no way it'll be built that tall and I doubt they will build anything taller than burj dubai simply because "dubai" is not in the name of the tower which helps it stand as a symbol for the city.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2005, 10:51 PM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

Just made a few small changes. As I've said already there're going to be some new height restrictions around the airport. This might be because of Emirates' new fleet of A380s but whatever the reason 2 of the towers on the list will be affected. The worst affected project in Dubai is Park Square and not only the really tall tower but also some of the others aswell. The 2nd supertall affected is Al Durrah 2 but maybe it's just be moved further down the highway.
Anyway, changed their chances of being built to 3/10.

For some good news there should be another supertall released for the marina later this month. It was in a thread in SSC. Aswell there are 8 plots in Business bay with unlimited height and rumours are that one is a 101 floor tower and a forumer there who saw the plans says the design is amazing. There's this sort of convention on next week in Dubai called cityscape where there's a good chance we'll see more of these. We have to see.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2005, 1:51 PM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

Don't think anyone gives a shit but I'll post this anyway.

Big day for Dubai projects. There's a massive exhibition there this weekend and there's lots of info about new projects and towers and about existing ones aswell.
There could be some info on that 150 story one too but don't know that yet.

76 storey tower (AL SHARQ TOWER) designed by SOM but definitely over 300m. It's on sheik zayed road.

A nice one with Burj Dubai in the background

BTW according to someone there was an 80 storey tower for the marina too but there are no pics yet.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2005, 4:03 PM

I think this type of architecture is awesome! It may appear to be a little space age and futuristic but I think it will always speak for its self and define the times of its economic boom that will probabley never be seen again for a very long time. I remember a few years ago when many of us were cheering for 7 South Dearborn to be built and it was pretty futuristic looking and with the promise of being the worlds tallest on U.S. soil so I cant snub my nose at an even more incredible structure such as the B.D. I still dont understand the reasoning, management, and timing of this almost insane construction boom that appears to have been preplanned and immediately executed beyond most projects comprehension much less their capabilities. The Dallas city government cant get along long enough to agree on a couple of small issues that would have the Cowboys building a $750 million stadium in Dallas instead of Arlington so this may mean that it takes cooperation and compromise between parties involved regardless of how much money you have. Sometimes when overly sensitive people constantly excercise their right to express their self centered opinions and refuse to negotiate the system boggs down and we get nowhere. Whatever happened to 7 South Dearborn anyway?

Old Posted Sep 18, 2005, 5:41 PM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

I love these type of buildings too. While I like Dubai's skyscraper development there are loads of projects which don't make sense to me at all though eg: Falcon City, the world, palm deira (3rd palm island), etc...

Anyways, here's a model of the above tower.

And here's infinity tower, 73 floors high in Dubai Marina. Designed by SOM too. A bit too bulky for my liking and looks too much like turning torso. Doesn't it remind you of the old freedom tower aswell?

Anyway here's a render:

And the model (kinda crappy IMO)

Old Posted Sep 18, 2005, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malec

76 storey tower (AL SHARQ TOWER) designed by SOM but definitely over 300m. It's on sheik zayed road.
Is the rendering realistic ? Because it looks like it's not.

I'm intrigued.
Do you have more details ?

Old Posted Sep 18, 2005, 6:13 PM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

That's actually a very old rendering. That's when it was just a proposal and I think they chose between a few different designs. The model is very good though and certaily more realistic.

Here's the thread on SSC if you want more info:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=258111

Last edited by malec; Sep 18, 2005 at 11:00 PM.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2005, 6:29 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

The model of Al Sharq Tower looks great! The multiple cylindrical design sets it apart from anything I've seen.

I agree about Infinity being just another rehash of Turning Torso, the old FT, and another tower proposed in Shanghai.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Sep 20, 2005, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee
The model of Al Sharq Tower looks great! The multiple cylindrical design sets it apart from anything I've seen.
I've seen old similar designs.
I'm thinking of a super-tall, failed project in Japan.

But this one in Dubai is amazingly futuristic.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2005, 9:07 AM
Honored Member

Almas , AlDurrah & Ocean Heights are superb designed buildings

Old Posted Sep 24, 2005, 2:09 PM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

Look at this model of ocean heights. It doesn't seem to actually twist.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2005, 4:38 PM
Chaos Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabb
Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee
I've seen old similar designs.
I'm thinking of a super-tall, failed project in Japan.

But this one in Dubai is amazingly futuristic.
Dynamic Intelligent Building?

Old Posted Sep 25, 2005, 3:33 AM
Meh

Nice, man none of this stuff was proposed 2 years ago when my computer crashed. So I'm totally blown away by all these projects.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Sep 25, 2005, 5:12 AM

Re: Dubai....breathtaking plans and propositions

Quote:
Originally Posted by garry7772000

This is all overwhelming and breathtaking to say the least. It appears that the rest of the world is becoming more futuristic, very quickly, than America. The scrapers I saw in the movie Star wars reminds me of what Dubai is building; I don't see these type of visions in skyscraper building and construction in America.

Hopefully we'll get our economy back on track and get back in the thick of things.

Garry
Whoa there, careful now. Slow down. Building a skyscraper like this in the US is much different than in Asia. Several points.

1) As someone pointed out, the Burj Dubai is costing a similar amount (I've ever seen figures lower than) as the Trump Tower Chicago, whose roof rises to 1,130ft. Construction costs are way higher here. Do a little research as to who's providing the labor in Dubai (certainly not Emiratis!), and how much they're getting paid, what benefits they receive, what safety regulations are protecting them, and so on.

2) Consider the planning/zoning/approval/political process American projects have to go through; the red tape is insane. Trump took 4+ years from conception of Trump Tower Chicago to having a shovel in the ground. In America, we deal with NIMBYs, who fight tooth and nail through the political process to prevent towers from getting built high.

In Dubai and elsewhere in Asia (with exceptions in places like tokyo), its just a rubber stamp. Done and done.

We're doin' just fine here in America; look at NY, Chicago, Miami, Philly, just to name a few. And to the north, Toronto and Vancouver are booming.

If the Freedom Tower actually gets built, it will be a much bigger accomplishment on the part of humanity (and real estate developers) than Burj Dubai could ever hope to be; though I'm biased as a Chicagoan, I think Trump made a huge accomplishment in getting his TTC built.

All this said, I'm a fan of alot these projects going up in Dubai. Alot are bland, but you can say that of highrise booms anywhere in the world. The Burj Dubai isn't groundbreaking in design so much as height. But a reliably pleasing and proportional design from Adrian Smith.

I think the Burj al-Arab Hotel (the Sail) is fantastic.

Last edited by VivaLFuego; Sep 25, 2005 at 5:21 AM.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2005, 4:12 PM
Monomania w/ Skyscrapers

^ you make some valid points, especially when you consider who is developing these towers in Asia & countries... The US firms are providing the technology & know-how to construct these massive towers... I am a fan of all skyscrapers, no matter where on earth they are & i'm looking forward to Burj-al

Old Posted Oct 5, 2005, 11:44 PM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

Trump set to trump in Dubai

A weird tower in the shape of some flower will be built on the palm jumeirah. Usually I'm not a fan of this type of architecture but in this case I find it really fits its location well. Also since it's a hotel I really doubt it'll be as fat as in this render. Just some inaccuracy I'd say.
A forumer who has inside info said this will be 360m high and have 80 floors. The renders and the model show it being only about half the height so I'll add it at the end of the list.

Here's the render:

Here's a pic of Donald and the CEO of Nakheel :

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since there are a few towers which have unknown heights some of these mightn't turn out to be supertall. I've now divided the first post into 2 lists. One for towers with known heights or that are without a doubt 300m+, and one for the others.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There has been no news about marina gardens for almost a year and the only info we have is the floor count and some shitty render. I'll take it off the list then since it seems to be a stale proposal. Hope it gets the axe anyway because it looks like a pile of crap.

Last edited by malec; Oct 5, 2005 at 11:50 PM.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2005, 3:10 PM

It doesn't look 360 m tall.
If it is, that will be one huge monster.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2005, 6:49 PM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

^^ Thankfully it isn't. Just found that it's only 38F so it's off the list

Old Posted Nov 1, 2005, 12:47 PM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

I just added this proposed 3-tower complex to the supertall list:

It'll consist of one 340m/85F office tower, a 300m/75F hotel and a 280m/65F res tower. There's no official info on this yet but judging from what a forumer on SSC who works with this sort of stuff said, I'd say it has a good chance of getting built.

The design looks very promising so far but we don't have any renders that are more detailed.

BTW he said enabling works are due to start in 3 weeks. What the hell does that mean? Sorry if it's a stupid question but I want to know.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2005, 2:03 PM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

Aswell, here aresome of the latest construction updates:

Burj Dubai:

Princess Tower:

23 Marina:

The Torch:

Rose Rotana Hotel:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

According to the same guy who told us about the 3-tower complex above, Frank Gehry and Calatrava might be designing some towers for Dubai. These are just rumours though. Also Donald Trump might build some talls in the future.
Also that forumer's company is working on a 300m tower themselves. He also mentioned plans for a twin set of 88F towers for Abu Dhabi.
As he puts it: "exciting times boys"

Last edited by malec; Nov 1, 2005 at 5:41 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations