HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 29, 2018, 3:55 PM

Columbia Mall and West Acres

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
It's such a funny thing, I was at the Mall of America last month and I passed through the Sears there... there was a ton of good deals and decent looking merchandise. But there was hardly anyone in the store. To the point where I wondered how they stayed in business... paying for that much space requires a lot of sales. But somewhere along the way, Sears completely lost its marketing mojo.
When Macy's closed at Columbia Mall, it made me reevaluate travelling down to shop. I thought it better to go a little further to West Acres this year. Sears is closed and Herberger's is about to follow. This actually leaves only a handful of stores that Winnipeg does not have, then factor in the exchange rate and Trump. I am not a fan of his and as a result, I believe that my usual yearly trip to North Dakota will not happen.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2018, 3:58 PM

Well Trump did call us out for smuggling new shoes across the border by scuffing them up a little. haha stick it to him (even though it was actually Canada who would miss out on the duty taxes) and keep the dollars in Canada!

Old Posted Jun 29, 2018, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laumag View Post
When Macy's closed at Columbia Mall, it made me reevaluate travelling down to shop. I thought it better to go a little further to West Acres this year. Sears is closed and Herberger's is about to follow. This actually leaves only a handful of stores that Winnipeg does not have, then factor in the exchange rate and Trump. I am not a fan of his and as a result, I believe that my usual yearly trip to North Dakota will not happen.
It is also interesting to note with Sears, JCPenny, Herberger’s and Macy’s all closing hundreds of stores Kohls is actually avoiding the retail apocalypse (somewhat). Is this because many are stand-alone stores and not in malls?

Old Posted Jun 29, 2018, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Well Trump did call us out for smuggling new shoes across the border by scuffing them up a little. haha stick it to him (even though it was actually Canada who would miss out on the duty taxes) and keep the dollars in Canada!
I know I found it hilarious that he said that... I don't think he understands how duties work – which is wild.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2018, 4:46 PM

Quote:
The exchange rate and the fact that there are so few stores in ND with things that you can't find locally means there isn't much of a draw left in Fargo and Grand Forks. The only place I'd care to shop at in either city is Target.

At least if you make it to Minneapolis there's some stuff we don't have. But going to Grand Forks to shop feels pointless.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2018, 7:06 PM

Yeah I used to get a lot more out of Fargo shopping as a teen/20something.

PacSun, Abercrombie and Macy’s closing pretty much put the nail in that coffin for me.

Now I spend most of my money at Happy Harry’s

Old Posted Jun 29, 2018, 7:09 PM

Also noticed the Polo outlet is open, apparently opened two weeks ago.

Some OK deals. Not cheap but certainly better than the retail prices you’ll pay at Hudson Bay

Old Posted Jun 29, 2018, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brizzy82 View Post
Also noticed the Polo outlet is open, apparently opened two weeks ago.

Some OK deals. Not cheap but certainly better than the retail prices you’ll pay at Hudson Bay
Also of noticeably inferior quality. Polo’s (and several others) have clear quality difference from the main line items.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2018, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Also of noticeably inferior quality. Polo’s (and several others) have clear quality difference from the main line items.
Well said. Many people are deceived by cheaper prices. Not only in clothing, but food, furniture. There are different levels and taking away certain details or quality leaves you with nothin special run of the mill product that has little if any value.
So many people are fooled by a price and believe then brag about the deal they got.
Then they say in not too long a time frame, wow, has that brand really gone downhill..lol

Old Posted Jul 1, 2018, 2:24 AM

More news about retail in North Dakota

Was in Grand Forks today:
Sears is still open, won't close until September. I gather the Sears Automotive closed today. They starting their clearance sales already 10-40%.
Columbia Mall is dead: There is only 1 fast-food outlet. A lot of empty stores, and even a church has setup space for worship service every Sunday.

The space left by Macy's is still empty, soon to be followed by Sears. That leaves J.C. Penny (which are closing stores) and Scheels (Sporting Goods store) as anchors.

Best Buy has just moved in the former Sears store in West Acres Mall.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 5:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
To the point where I wondered how [Sears] stayed in business... paying for that much space requires a lot of sales.
Sears stays in business largely through secured loans from their owner. He say takes an asset like the Craftsman brand and "buys" it for a cash gift for below the real market value and then sells it to someone else. He has also flipped most of the store leases, which were on very favourable terms as an anchor, into a REIT which then leases the stores back to Sears when it cannot find another tenant. Basically the current owner is doing to business equivalent of strip mining the company. When it finally comes to closing to doors there will be nothing of value left for anyone to claim in the bankruptcy sale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvor202 View Post
It is also interesting to note with Sears, JCPenny, Herberger’s and Macy’s all closing hundreds of stores Kohls is actually avoiding the retail apocalypse (somewhat). Is this because many are stand-alone stores and not in malls?
Kohls is fairly openly in trouble too, just not as badly as Sears and JCPenny, and to a lesser extent Macy's. Kohls is mostly trying to shrink its same store footprints currently and is getting a cash injection from Amazon for being a live return point for online orders. Also with smaller stores than the other three to start with the bleeding over lease costs is a little less. Basically right now Kohls is trying not to drown as the market swamps itself. If they can survive the vortex of Sears/JCPenny/Macy's and emerge is okay shape they could gain a position of real strength with greatly reduced completion. The other question is might Amazon take an opportunity to buy them out like they did Whole Foods.

Last edited by CoryB; Jul 3, 2018 at 5:25 PM.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 11:48 PM

Garden City Sears Building

Stitches has left the Garden City Shopping Centre Sears building. It will now be subdivided into one "Asian" grocery store and 5 or 6 smaller units as rumor has it.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Stitches has left the Garden City Shopping Centre Sears building. It will now be subdivided into one "Asian" grocery store and 5 or 6 smaller units as rumor has it.
If the Asian grocery store is true, I’m going with Seafood City.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 3:07 AM

Cf Polo Park Is Added Lucky Mobile

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 4:07 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegcity View Post
I would rather see T&T Supermarkets as it is a Canadian business.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horrorbro123 View Post
Cf Polo Park Is Added Lucky Mobile
There was a Lucky Mobile open in Kildonan Place this week where the Bell Kiosk use to be located

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 1:45 PM

Cf Polo Park is Added Smile Stylist Will Open Next Month

Old Posted Jul 17, 2018, 12:49 PM

Smile

Quote:
My buddy's company has the contract for work in the old Sears. I've seen the renders, it's Seafood City!

Old Posted Jul 17, 2018, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinus View Post
I would rather see T&T Supermarkets as it is a Canadian business.
T&T is essentially a ghost banner now. The Weston family seemingly has no plans to expand the chain any further and instead plans to bring select products from T&T to their main line stores include Superstore.

As for Garden City mall, if I was placing bets it would be on Lucky's open up another location. I recall all the rumors and speculation about the old Maples IGA takeover and end of the day that is what they got.

Does Seafood City at Garden City makes sense? On some levels. That said the old Burrows Sobey's would be a much more choice location if they are truly coming to Winnipeg.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2018, 6:28 PM

Seafood City has been long rumoured to be coming to Winnipeg. I believe they have one Canadian location in Mississauga.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan