HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 23, 2017, 2:37 PM

Whenever I go to Hy's I swear every American businessman in town who isn't at 529 is eating dinner in there. Outside of the major US coastal cities (and I guess Vegas and Chicago too) that have legit culinary scenes, I get the impression that steakhouses are sort of the default "fanciest joint in town" in most places... so not surprisingly Americans with expense accounts naturally gravitate to them wherever they go.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2017, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Whenever I go to Hy's I swear every American businessman in town who isn't at 529 is eating dinner in there. Outside of the major US coastal cities (and I guess Vegas and Chicago too) that have legit culinary scenes, I get the impression that steakhouses are sort of the default "fanciest joint in town" in most places... so not surprisingly Americans with expense accounts naturally gravitate to them wherever they go.
So true. like Ruths Chris down there I guess. went to one of those in Indianapolis and thought it was quite disappointing.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2017, 5:18 PM

Quote:
^ That seems like an odd fit for a local diner kind of joint like Pete's.
Yeah – not sure why they'd take the chance on a space that Cara and (former) FB Hospitality couldn't make a go of. That whole development is kind of a no man's land. No one's gonna walk from Polo, and it's awkward to get in and out of there.. no reason to go unless you are going to HD/Chapters... or just a really big fan of Montana's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacheguy View Post
I am going to rethink my eating habits in the new year. Why have Memphis ribs at the Heights when I could be eating wild boar bacon with fermented cranberries in a black truffle reduction in the exchange?
Kidding..I enjoy both types of events.

Fun fact..a few months ago we had dinner for four at Gotham's in Vancouver and the bill (with a nice tip and good wine) was over 1400. The meal itself was in no way better than Hy's here in town in my opinion.
What's the Heights?

Quote:
Hy's is expensive but always good and the staff know what they're doing. But I imagine the number one reason for what you've observed is that they're likely all staying at The Fairmont and don't want to venture far. Bailey's has the same vibes sometimes, for the same reasons. They probably go from Hy's to Bailey's for a scotch, then back to the hotel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacheguy View Post
So true. like Ruths Chris down there I guess. went to one of those in Indianapolis and thought it was quite disappointing.
That place is awful. It's like Banana Republic to the GAP, except to Outback Steakhouse.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2017, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
What's the Heights?
Probably means this place in St. James that is suppose to have good ribs.

https://www.silverheightsrestaurant.ca/

Old Posted Dec 23, 2017, 5:29 PM

^Lol. Quite the comparison.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2017, 1:24 AM
Speak the truth, then run

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
Probably means this place in St. James that is suppose to have good ribs.

https://www.silverheightsrestaurant.ca/
Their Longhorn Rib Steak is the best steak in town.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2017, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Well, the well heeled and well travelled are often north of 50, so they stick to what they know, especially in a city famous for being boring. Hy's is great and close, and 529 is a stand out.

Younger business travelers in their 30s and 40s are being more creative these days though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Strong View Post
Their Longhorn Rib Steak is the best steak in town.
I must try it then.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2017, 11:01 PM
jammon member

[QUOTE=Wolf13;8029797]Well, the well heeled and well travelled are often north of 50, so they stick to what they know, especially in a city famous for being boring. Hy's is great and close, and 529 is a stand out.

Younger business travelers in their 30s and 40s are being more creative these days though.

I don't believe this is the case for the older generation now. While Hy's and Rae and Jerry's are institutions, the majority of people we entertain want to try different places. Everyone always asks about Segovia. And of course, we have to tell them it is nearly impossible to get in to unless you are there at 5 PM. It has established quite a reputation outside the city.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2017, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammon View Post

I don't believe this is the case for the older generation now. While Hy's and Rae and Jerry's are institutions, the majority of people we entertain want to try different places. Everyone always asks about Segovia. And of course, we have to tell them it is nearly impossible to get in to unless you are there at 5 PM. It has established quite a reputation outside the city.
"Often", not always. Among the well-heeled business travellers, as in rich old dudes, many prefer a steakhouse or continental cuisine. Far from all. It's not that they don't go to Segovia, but rather that when you go to Hy's... who do you see?

I've spent many a frustrated half hour waiting for tables at segovia. Place is awesome and always busy. And dammit take my reservation lol.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2018, 4:38 AM

I Went To Polo Park This Evening When Cultures Closed Down For Good Chachi's Will Take Over Former Cultures Location Next to Soon to Be Edo Japan

Old Posted Jan 5, 2018, 5:34 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by horrorbro123 View Post
I Went To Polo Park This Evening When Cultures Closed Down For Good Chachi's Will Take Over Former Cultures Location Next to Soon to Be Edo Japan
Those are two improvements.

Cultures was never busy and I always wondered how fresh the sandwiches on display were. Chachis makes sandwiches to order and they are really good.

Edo Japan is an improvement to Koya. I find Edo much tastier and fresher.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2018, 7:35 PM

Went to cultures once. Got a grilled wrap. Warm on the outside, ice cold in the middle.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 3:18 AM

The new Stella's spinoff - Kevin's - on Bannatyne is now open:

http://kevinsbistro.ca/

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 5:28 PM

Reservations for what seemingly is a selection of high end mac and cheese at Kevin's?

I have been wrong on the success of concepts before but this seems to really be pushing some boundaries.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 5:36 PM

^ Factor in tip and taxes and you could easily be in for over $20 just for a bowl of fancy mac & cheese. It feels like that menu is an elaborate prank.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Reservations for what seemingly is a selection of high end mac and cheese at Kevin's?

I have been wrong on the success of concepts before but this seems to really be pushing some boundaries.
Maybe, but it's in the right spot. And every Stella's I've been to has a wait.

In regards to reservations, well, if they don't use em, no big deal. But it's a smaller space so if you ever need a party of 4+.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 7:36 PM

Quote:
^ Factor in tip and taxes and you could easily be in for over $20 just for a bowl of fancy mac & cheese. It feels like that menu is an elaborate prank.
I was thinking of the cost but basically on par with most other 'pasta' dishes out there really. Mac & cheese just seems to have the cheap KD stigma attached to it, but pasta is pasta is pasta...

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 1:56 AM

People pay $10 for Subway's white rubber chicken thing and veggies tossed on top with a shot of mayo. $15 for a worthy pasta seems sensiblel

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 2:27 PM
What could go wrong?

Hmmm....sounds like i'm havin Subway for lunch today!
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 6:05 PM

Syndey's at The Forks closes for good this weekend. No word on what will replace it but with the good things The Forks people have been up to recently expectations are likely going to be on a high side.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan