HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Feb 28, 2013, 11:05 PM

looking down longs hill

Photos in Fort Townshend

RNC

http://www.library.mun.ca/qeii/cns/p...oto0404005.jpg

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 12:48 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I love that photo of Long's Hill. It makes me so proud to see just how much of our heritage we've saved. So grateful for the past generations that kept it going. Can you imagine if we have some hideous 1960s shopping mall or something where all these buildings are?

It's also hilarious to see that little park in the centre of Livingstone Street as just a fenced off area of native trees, ha!

And now we're developing so smartly. I can't wait to see what will be done with the parking lot of the Kirk.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 12:50 PM

I didn't notice the park ahahha funny

Old Posted Mar 5, 2013, 12:28 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Another postcard image from the mid sixties, before the Royal Trust/Fortis Building:

Source:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/VintageStJohns

Edit - I just noticed this was posted before. I guess there are only so many of these in circulation.
Still, it's nice enough to post twice though.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2013, 1:16 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

What a different city we could have been had we preserved ALL that we had and completely avoided North American-style development, opting for the density of British suburbs instead.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2013, 3:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
What a different city we could have been had we preserved ALL that we had and completely avoided North American-style development, opting for the density of British suburbs instead.
I agree.. Looking at that picture, that's the St. John's I want to live in. One in which the population lives in one densely packed, large, bustling, thriving neighborhood.

I would love to live in a St. John's that expanded with the same density that existed downtown. One in which you can hop on a cable car and get from one end of the city to the other in 15 minutes, One in which everyone was heavily reliant on the downtown; where people worked and shopped downtown and power centers were non-existant.

But sadly, we expanded unwisely as the rest of North America did. Now we are left with a beautiful downtown that, to much of our population, is just the place where tourists go. You can live your life in SJ, never ever go downtown, and be perfectly well off. I would like to see that change. I would love to see us use the beautiful heritage that remains and use that to sculpt a vibrant urban center and cap the cancer that is urban sprawl. I would much rather see Danny Williams buy all of Rabbittown, bulldoze it and make an urban heaven than to create a second Paradise even furthur from the city's core. But sadly, people follow money and will build whatever makes the most profit. Whatever types of developments make the most money are the types that are going to be built. In our case, it's suburbs and power centers.. Let's hope that changes soon!

I want to live in a downtown SJ that has that old-timely "big town" feeling but has grown into a modern, dense urban center. I believe the future is bright

Old Posted Mar 5, 2013, 3:47 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Well, St. John's was a much sleepier place then, downtown was off the radar as far as modernity went, nothing new was ever built there, although it was still the main retail centre. Something tells me people of today's generation wouldn't have been very happy with it as it was. Everything new was built in the suburban fringes and that's where everyone wanted to live, and if you lived downtown you were either poor or some kind of a rarity.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2013, 4:04 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Townie709 View Post
I agree.. Looking at that picture, that's the St. John's I want to live in. One in which the population lives in one densely packed, large, bustling, thriving neighborhood.

I would love to live in a St. John's that expanded with the same density that existed downtown. One in which you can hop on a cable car and get from one end of the city to the other in 15 minutes, One in which everyone was heavily reliant on the downtown; where people worked and shopped downtown and power centers were non-existant.

But sadly, we expanded unwisely as the rest of North America did. Now we are left with a beautiful downtown that, to much of our population, is just the place where tourists go. You can live your life in SJ, never ever go downtown, and be perfectly well off. I would like to see that change. I would love to see us use the beautiful heritage that remains and use that to sculpt a vibrant urban center and cap the cancer that is urban sprawl. I would much rather see Danny Williams buy all of Rabbittown, bulldoze it and make an urban heaven than to create a second Paradise even furthur from the city's core. But sadly, people follow money and will build whatever makes the most profit. Whatever types of developments make the most money are the types that are going to be built. In our case, it's suburbs and power centers.. Let's hope that changes soon!

I want to live in a downtown SJ that has that old-timely "big town" feeling but has grown into a modern, dense urban center. I believe the future is bright
I didn't see your post before I made mine, and while it's a nice idea to think that it would have been a nice place to live, it was largely a rather neglected and decrepit place by today's standards. True revitalisation didn't begin until the mid seventies, and even then people were thought of as "crazy" if they invested money in extensive renovations in row houses. Things have come a really long way since then, it's a whole different place and atmosphere, but ironically, it would not be without the years/decades of neglect which preserved the old areas of the city.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 4:57 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Here's one of the buildings few even know existed anymore:

Quote:
"The photo on top shows the St. John's customs house at King's Beach before it was destroyed in the 1892 Great Fire. The photo on bottom shows the same area in 2011. Note that the street has been straightened. The ruins of the customs house, which were partially uncovered during construction of the new harbour interceptor sewer in 2006-2009, are located underneath the Newfoundland War Memorial and the section of Water Street in front of it, approximately where the War Memorial steps can be seen at the right of the 2011 photo" (MUN Archives)
Source: https://www.facebook.com/VintageStJohns

Old Posted May 25, 2013, 9:40 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Old Posted May 6, 2014, 2:00 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

This interesting photo shows the site of the new Victoria Park Condos and the building which used to be there, dated 1905:

Source: Vintage St John's Facebook

Old Posted May 16, 2014, 12:12 PM

SHH, I am fascinated by this picture you posted over on the Canada forum. Such a non-standard viewpoint that at first glance it didn't look like old St. John's at all. Any idea of the vintage of this picture?

Memorial Archives

Old Posted May 16, 2014, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBlack View Post
SHH, I am fascinated by this picture you posted over on the Canada forum. Such a non-standard viewpoint that at first glance it didn't look like old St. John's at all. Any idea of the vintage of this picture?
Since the Colonial Building looks finished and the construction of Bannerman Park doesn't appear to have started, the photo must have been taken between 1850 and 1890.

Old Posted May 16, 2014, 9:58 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

It also looks like there were lots of trees in the vicinity of the Colonial Building at the time, maybe even some of the ones they have cut down for not being "historic".

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's