HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Mar 28, 2015, 3:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelKazan View Post
I've always found it annoying that neither of them had a store downtown like they do in Toronto and Montréal. It would've been great for the Rideau Centre expansion. Guess that's not happening now.
I second that! I was just thinking about that the other day. Sadly that day has probably come and gone with the retail landscape in the state it is in.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2015, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman View Post
So have to figure the following will close?
Gatineau
Kanata
Merivale (Nepean)
Gloucester already closed

To be converted maybe?
Barrhaven
Orleans
South Keys

This cannot come as a surprise, other than the fact they did it with no warning to the employees (which I don't think should be allowed).
Barrhaven and Orleans are most likely to convert, I'm on the fence with South Keys since that is a lower income area and not terribly far from Merivale Road. Agreed that the Gatineau, Kanata and Merivale FS stores are empty space now (IMO it is a shock they lasted this long!).

Old Posted Mar 28, 2015, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelKazan View Post
I've always found it annoying that neither of them had a store downtown like they do in Toronto and Montréal. It would've been great for the Rideau Centre expansion. Guess that's not happening now.
I don't know if there is enough population in downtown Ottawa to support such?

Also the Merivale Future Shop is in an isolated storefront area. Maybe that building should be torn down for high-density residential?

Old Posted Mar 28, 2015, 5:30 PM

When it rains, it pours but it's just a matter of time as online purchase is becoming more and more popular and people don't buy electronics like they used to.

I don't think there will be any sales with BB taking on the merchandise but I hope the FS employees will land on their feet soon.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2015, 5:31 PM
Awesome!

And let's add this as well to the list of retail closures. I think that's two more blank spaces for Bayshore

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/rick...ring-1.3011874
"However, the Leafs have not won the Cup since 1967, giving them the longest-active Cup drought in the NHL, and thus are the only Original Six team that has not won the Cup since the 1967 NHL expansion." Favorite phrase on the Toronto Maple Leafs Wikipedia page.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2015, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cre47 View Post
And let's add this as well to the list of retail closures. I think that's two more blank spaces for Bayshore

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/rick...ring-1.3011874
Will they even be able to fill the expansion now? Or did it just come at a bad time?

Old Posted Mar 28, 2015, 5:58 PM

Future shop was much better than parent retailer Best Buy. A sad day. Their stores seemed always busy, unlike the joke that was Target.

Quote:
I don't know if there is enough population in downtown Ottawa to support such?
I live downtown, there is more than enough demand for a large format electronics/appliances store.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2015, 6:11 PM
Awesome!

Oops sorry, they didn't specify how many locations will be closed, so not sure if the Bayshore locations of Ricky's and Cleo will be affected by any closures. I know Ricki's in 3rd level closer to the ex-food court and Cleo is near the Winners on the 2nd floor's post-Les Ailes section so it didn't affect the expansion area. In the expansion I think there is Desigal is the only store that is set to open soon in the expansion area (2C).
"However, the Leafs have not won the Cup since 1967, giving them the longest-active Cup drought in the NHL, and thus are the only Original Six team that has not won the Cup since the 1967 NHL expansion." Favorite phrase on the Toronto Maple Leafs Wikipedia page.

Last edited by Cre47; Mar 28, 2015 at 6:21 PM.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2015, 7:09 PM

The demographic that is increasingly living downtown--the young--are the most likely to online shop, so stores that are already heavily threatened by online shopping are not the ones that are going to be investing in downtown stores.

I wonder if Toronto's Dundas Square store is shuttering. That storefront must be very high value with expensive rent so the company may not want to continue paying for it. Somewhat sad as that building was a pretty cool example of what are normally big box retail functioning in an urban manner.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2015, 8:11 PM

I'm surprised it took this long, they have been running two overlapping brands (with an unclear differentiation between the two) for 14 years. Sad for the employees. Also, memories of boxing days.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2015, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
The demographic that is increasingly living downtown--the young--are the most likely to online shop, so stores that are already heavily threatened by online shopping are not the ones that are going to be investing in downtown stores.

I wonder if Toronto's Dundas Square store is shuttering. That storefront must be very high value with expensive rent so the company may not want to continue paying for it. Somewhat sad as that building was a pretty cool example of what are normally big box retail functioning in an urban manner.
This is a very good point. I might add that many folks living downtown or in the more trendy areas that are well-served by public transit also don't typically own a car/truck/SUV and picking up big box items can present challenges.

My buddy asked me to help him pick up a 51" TV last night from a WalMart that is literally 5 minutes from his new dig in Kanata. For some reasons, they would not deliver or maybe the delivery fee was a bit high for my buddy's liking. Whatever the case, the TV doesn't fit in his Hyundai Genesis even after he folded the backseat down and tried to slide through the trunk. He asked me for a favour and I had no problem putting it in our compact SUV (X-Trail) to help out a friend.

Maybe certain Uber drivers own trucks/SUVs that can come in handy for this type of situation and is cheaper than store delivery?

Old Posted Mar 28, 2015, 11:47 PM
Living With My Mother

Went to the Kanata future shop late this afternoon and it was red papered up as closed.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2015, 1:17 AM

According to the Best Buy website, the South Keys, Barrhaven and Orleans Future Shop locations will re-open as Best Buy outlets on April 4.

https://www-ssl.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/sto...reLocator_en_5

Old Posted Mar 29, 2015, 5:15 AM
Awesome!

Kinda of expected. Now wondering what could replaced those locations. The one in Gatineau was quite small and used to be a gardening/landscaping store before Future Shop moved from a location at the center of the strip mall. Maybe it should revert back to a gardening/landscaping store again

The one in Kanata will easily find a replacement while the one in Merivale I'm not sure, but considering several appartment buildings were built behind and considering that Future Shop was quite away from the road itself, I think it might turn to additionnal land for more towers there. Though which kind of retail is missing along that stretch of Merivale?

Old Posted Mar 29, 2015, 10:51 PM

Quote:
The one in Kanata will easily find a replacement while the one in Merivale I'm not sure, but considering several appartment buildings were built behind and considering that Future Shop was quite away from the road itself, I think it might turn to additionnal land for more towers there. Though which kind of retail is missing along that stretch of Merivale?
I can't really think of any type of shopping that this part of Merivale lacks. There are more than enough grocery stores, two dollar stores, a couple of drug stores, the Walmart on Baseline is close enough if you need a general department store, Best Buy and Staples cover computers and office junk. For hardware and furniture there is a Home Depot not too far away at College Square.

When they complete the apartments I could see the area being able to support a few more restaurants and potentially a good place for a mid sized retailer like Giant Tiger, especially if they are easy to walk to since Merivale isn't too pedestrian friendly. For Giant Tiger they don't have any stores in this part of the city, it covers slightly bigger variety of stuff than the dollar stores and offers an alternative for some things to Walmart if you would rather shop at a smaller store over a super center or live closer.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2015, 11:44 PM

What about something like a Bushtukah or Mountain Equipment Co-op (MEC) in this neck o' the woods?

I know there is a LeBaron not too far up the street but I think they cater to different niche. LeBaron is for the hunter/angler/survivalist while Bushtukah/MEC is for the camper/hiker/environmentalist.

P.S: Or maybe a SAIL in the west end? seeing there's 1 in TrainYards serving the East Enders?

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Kinda of expected. Now wondering what could replaced those locations. The one in Gatineau was quite small and used to be a gardening/landscaping store before Future Shop moved from a location at the center of the strip mall. Maybe it should revert back to a gardening/landscaping store again
Are you sure on that? I am pretty sure the Gatineau location was build specifically for FS a few years back. They were in the Lazyboy store to the immediate right of their current (former?) location. Maybe that was the gardening/landscaping store?

My preference would be for a Canada Computers... but the space is too big for that so maybe split it and rent to multiple tenants.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 2:54 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman View Post
Are you sure on that? I am pretty sure the Gatineau location was build specifically for FS a few years back. They were in the Lazyboy store to the immediate right of their current (former?) location. Maybe that was the gardening/landscaping store?

I think it's the other way around. Pretty sure the Future Shop on Chemin de la Savane was a WH Perron store, which was the Quebec division of White Rose.

La Détente (LAZ Boy) I think was purpose built.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 3:15 AM

The big box strip mall up against the Queensway at Gloucester Centre is almost completely empty. There are three or four stores left. I think Reitmans, Addition Elle, and Dollar Tree are still open. Old Navy is gone.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 3:16 AM

Does anyone else feel like Chapters/Indigo will be the next big box to shutter the doors?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Business, Politics & the Economy