HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 6:44 PM

A few new renderings?

I don't remember seeing these before:

http://chicago.curbed.com/2016/8/17/...und-next-month

And it sound like the developer has confirmed the previously reported September ground breaking target.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 7:57 PM
The City

I never before noticed that a little stream will run through the development. Nice

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 11:50 PM

seems like maybe a river water situation

Old Posted Aug 20, 2016, 3:24 AM

Long time lurker, first time poster...I was just curious if anyone has heard if a grocery store was being considered as one of the retail components or would the options along Roosevelt be the solution although not really in the immediate area? Seems like all the units being added with this project could warrant that. Maybe down the road in the later phases?

Old Posted Aug 20, 2016, 9:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosegoose View Post
Long time lurker, first time poster...I was just curious if anyone has heard if a grocery store was being considered as one of the retail components or would the options along Roosevelt be the solution although not really in the immediate area? Seems like all the units being added with this project could warrant that. Maybe down the road in the later phases?
Welcome!

It's way too soon for that. Developers don't usually release the names of perspective tenants.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2016, 9:52 AM

^ No, but announcing generically that there will be larger-scale retail tenant spaces, or even announcing that a key amenity like a grocery store will be included, is not unusual.

It's a good question - some real critical mass of residential is building up between Clark and the river. Maybe not enough for a full-scale grocery store, what with Target and others nearby, but some kind of limited market could be a successful component down the road.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2016, 9:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosegoose View Post
I would say it is very likely, although perhaps not in the first phase. We wont know for awhile still.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2016, 2:42 PM
Urbane observer

I asked Ralph Johnson about that at last night's Friends of Downtown event and he was vague. Apparently he wanted to have the guy from Lend Lease (sitting in the back) speak up, but he didn't. Johnson just said such retail spaces might be closer to Roosevelt, and also said that master plans evolve.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2016, 1:00 PM

It would be nice if that big open space between Roosevelt and 18th were actually turned into a park. Also build a big brick wall along the other side of the river to block the rail yards from view.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2016, 2:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
It would be nice if that big open space between Roosevelt and 18th were actually turned into a park. Also build a big brick wall along the other side of the river to block the rail yards from view.

You must be joking.
Have you not been paying attention to the premium development along Chicago's downtown riverfront over the past 20 years?
And as for the wall of the rail yards. Well thats just disrespectful of all things that made Chicago great and continue to be great about the city. Why not put a christo sheet over the 21st street bridge?

Old Posted Aug 22, 2016, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Huh? What?

There's a park 1/4 mile to the east buy the name of Grant.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2016, 12:49 AM
~

Love the boardwalk along the river. Good choice to have a natural tapering from land to water.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2016, 1:02 AM
Urbane observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
There's a park 1/4 mile to the east by the name of Grant.
From the south end of River City, it's a .76 mile walk to Grant Park. It's a full mile to the nearest athletic field.

That's why I fought the British School change so fiercely.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2016, 3:10 PM

Riverline Site

Why's the whole area covered in a smoothed-over layer smashed up bricks and debris? It looks intentionally put there. Why?

Old Posted Aug 23, 2016, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wierdaaron View Post
Why's the whole area covered in a smoothed-over layer smashed up bricks and debris? It looks intentionally put there. Why?
I forget what it's specifically called, but I believe the bricks are there to support the weight of the caisson rigs.

Someone else on here can chime in with a better explanation.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2016, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wierdaaron View Post
Riverline Site

The site has been leveled - makes drilling holes straight down much easier ;-) . also covers up the numerous holes from where stuff was dug up (see pile on the left of your shot).

(nice color btw).

Old Posted Aug 23, 2016, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchymunch View Post
I dont like the look of those load bearing angled columns that meet at the ground... UGH.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2016, 9:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
I forget what it's specifically called, but I believe the bricks are there to support the weight of the caisson rigs.

Someone else on here can chime in with a better explanation.
I believe the debris is called "brickbat" which is basically just a term for brick rubble usually re purposed from demo jobs. The process of clearing out and leveling the site with brickbat is called "potholing" which is self explanatory. You don't want your multi million dollar equipment sinking in a soft spot and tipping over.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2016, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
I believe the debris is called "brickbat" which is basically just a term for brick rubble usually re purposed from demo jobs. The process of clearing out and leveling the site with brickbat is called "potholing" which is self explanatory. You don't want your multi million dollar equipment sinking in a soft spot and tipping over.
And this is what happens when you don't take the extra precautions to set them evenly in soft ground (of course, drilling into bedrock always helps)

http://archpaper.com/2016/08/san-fra...tower-sinking/

Old Posted Aug 31, 2016, 12:14 PM

Permit issued yesterday for the foundation of one of the buildings.... 27 stories, 452 units

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction