HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Ottawa Photos

Old Posted May 22, 2013, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
I wasn't aware of any of the previous bus terminals in Ottawa. But if I ever find a link, I will certainly post it.
If you ever saw the old Voyageur Colonial bus terminal in Toronto, it looked a bit like that, though smaller. Enough bays for perhaps 5 or 6 buses at most. The buses would drive up from one side of the building then drive into the bay to load up. It would then just carry on forward back onto Albert(?) street.

Old Posted May 22, 2013, 5:12 PM

Link to site that outlines Ottawas first Chinese families. Great read and includes photos. Lots of historic and familiar businesses are described as well.

One picture from a painting of "The Canton Inn".

http://livesofthefamily.com/

Old Posted May 24, 2013, 2:16 PM

Yes, the old Colonial Coach Bus Station was on Albert Street, I believe on the north side between Bank and Kent. It was there until around latter 1960s when the new station opened on Catharine Street. Those were the days when a downtown bus station and train station were more important because both provided commuter services that gradually died off as rural families became multiple car owners.

Old Posted May 24, 2013, 5:44 PM

I couldn't remember the exact name of the terminal. Thanks for the name clarification! So it was on Albert street. I thought so. Now I have a point of reference.

I'm hoping my web searches will lead to a few picture finds. I've been able to find pictures of the Montreal and Toronto Colonial stations.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2013, 6:55 PM

Urbsite Lord Elgin Hotel;

http://urbsite.blogspot.ca/2013/06/t...el-part-i.html

Link from Urbsite (historical photographs of various buildings with then and now comparisons);

http://www.ottawahh.com/

Old Posted Jun 10, 2013, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOWINYOW View Post
I couldn't remember the exact name of the terminal. Thanks for the name clarification! So it was on Albert street. I thought so. Now I have a point of reference.

I'm hoping my web searches will lead to a few picture finds. I've been able to find pictures of the Montreal and Toronto Colonial stations.
I haven't been in the Catharine Street bus station in a long time. Sometimes historic pictures are displayed in public buildings such as this. A good place to look to see if a photo of the old station is located there.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2013, 4:23 PM

Here everybody is the write up about the Colonial Coach Bus Terminal grand opening on Albert Street including pictures. It only dated back to 1950. It includes the history of Colonial Coach Lines which became Voyageur in the 1960s. The coverage ran over a number of pages.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...n+ottawa&hl=en

Old Posted Jun 10, 2013, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
Here everybody is the write up about the Colonial Coach Bus Terminal grand opening on Albert Street including pictures. It only dated back to 1950. It includes the history of Colonial Coach Lines which became Voyageur in the 1960s. The coverage ran over a number of pages.

Cool. Thanks!

Old Posted Jun 11, 2013, 7:22 PM

Quote:

Awesome find!! Thanks for this!

I wonder what ever happened to the planned convention centre just west of the new terminal??

Great read!

Old Posted Jun 11, 2013, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Page 85 has a few photos of Ogilvy's on Rideau. Much of the newspaper has coverage of the recent passing of former PM William Lyon McKenzie King. Bonus reading material!

Old Posted Jun 12, 2013, 1:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOWINYOW View Post
Awesome find!! Thanks for this!

I wonder what ever happened to the planned convention centre just west of the new terminal??

Great read!
I know I am showing my age, but I remember the radio jingle for Colonial Coach Lines

It went something like this

"Everybody is going by Colonial, glad you know the reason why"

I remember the tales my family told me of riding a Colonial commuter route. It was a different era. People got to know their neighbours much better and let their hair down. My cousins still talk about the fun they had travelling out from the Albert Street terminal and the characters that rode the bus with them.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2013, 12:43 AM

From Lost Ottawa page on Facebook. Video from 1968 showing various parts of city and landmarks:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151468248067811

Old Posted Jul 17, 2013, 1:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drawarc View Post
From Lost Ottawa page on Facebook. Video from 1968 showing various parts of city and landmarks:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151468248067811
I thought the Varette building was built in 72'. Cool to see Woolworths and the all out decorated Freiman's. Weird to see the Mackenzie King as an actual Bridge for the whole length.

I wish I could have been there in those days.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2013, 2:54 AM

Yeah, downtown and Rideau street looked much different. Found it funny seeing the Queensway with a large grassy median, and the then small Loblaws on Baseline before being expanded.

Last edited by drawarc; Jul 17, 2013 at 6:03 AM.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2013, 4:16 PM

That was the way that Ottawa looked when I was growing up. The big EB Eddy pulp mill across from the Parliament Buildings in Hull. The log booms in the river. The way the Sparks Street Mall looked like after it was made permanent in the mid 60s. The colour scheme of the buses from 1960 until when OC Transpo came into being in the early 70s. The way things looked just after the railways were taken out of downtown. The very new NAC. The presence of elm trees still before Dutch Elm disease got almost all of them. The way they used to decorate the stores on Rideau for Christmas.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2013, 8:47 PM

I just visited http://www.ottawahh.com for the first time. Just when you think there are enough of these websites showing historical pics of the city someone comes out with a new concept. Here a blend of Metcalfe and Laurier in the 1930s and 2013.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2013, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbottawa View Post
I just visited http://www.ottawahh.com for the first time. Just when you think there are enough of these websites showing historical pics of the city someone comes out with a new concept. Here a blend of Metcalfe and Laurier in the 1930s and 2013.

The Carnegie Library was a huge loss. What were they thinking?

Old Posted Aug 10, 2013, 4:46 AM

Found this on flickr, Ottawa Vintage Photos by Ross Dunn. Lots of old pics.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2013, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drawarc View Post
Found this on flickr, Ottawa Vintage Photos by Ross Dunn. Lots of old pics.
Great find! Thanks for sharing!

Old Posted Aug 10, 2013, 10:10 PM

I thought the Capitol Theatre was on the south east corner of Bank and Queen where the Sun Life complex is, but it was in the south west, torn down for this piece (left of picture) of junk!!!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Ottawa Photos