HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Soho Italia in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Ottawa Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jan 17, 2011, 5:08 PM

Drove by this morning and the sales office is up and almost done on the inside - these guys don't waste time!

Old Posted Jan 17, 2011, 5:36 PM

I know Toronto isn't always the best example or appropriate locations for highrises and integrating new developments into older neighbourhoods, but I think the distillery district has some good examples of how to design tall residential to fit in with the distinct character of a neighbourhood. The condos in the area use herritage (or faux herritage) fascades and big setbacks to ensure the pedestrian experience is changed minimally despite adding major residential density. I guess 90 George would be our best example of this.

Gooderham

Clear Spirit

Pure Spirit

90 George

Now, I don't know if there is enough room for such a setback along Preston, but I still think almost any tower can be integrated into any neighbourhood with proper street level integration and attention to the pedestrian character of the area.

What do you guys think about potentially having our tallest so far from the CBD?

Old Posted Jan 17, 2011, 5:45 PM

A new tallest for Ottawa????

Quote:
Condo developer wants 35-storey tower on Preston
Last Updated: Monday, January 17, 2011 | 12:08 PM ET

A condominium developer is seeking to construct a 35-storey tower in the heart of Ottawa's Little Italy that, if completed, would be the tallest building in the city.

An artist's concept of the Soho Italia, a 35-storey condominium tower.An artist's concept of the Soho Italia, a 35-storey condominium tower. (Roderick Lahey Architect Inc.)Mastercraft Starwood Group wants to build "Soho Italia" just behind the archway of Little Italy on the site of an old parking lot on Preston Street.

Last week, developers pitched the idea to mayor Jim Watson and the ward's city councillor, Diane Holmes, as well as Peter Hume, the chair of the Planning and Environment Committee. An official zoning change request has not been filed yet.

An artist's conception for the project from architect Roderick Lahey shows a slim glass and concrete tower that resembles a stack of plates. The design also includes a ground floor dedicated to a museum of Italian culture.

Lahey said he's excited about the project, and describes it as a fluid design that's supposed to look like water moving, inspired by the Aqua Tower in Chicago. The Ottawa building would house about 220 residential condo units.

If completed, it would likely edge out tower C of Place de Ville, the 29-storey, 112 metre building, and the 32-storey, 108 metre-tall Minto Metropole in Westboro, as the tallest building in Ottawa.

Developers have battled over this land in the past and won concessions from the city.

The spot is currently zoned for 19-storeys for a commercial building and 22-storeys for a residential building, according to a spokesperson with Mastercraft Starwood. The company has also met with the local business improvement association and is expecting to meet with community groups to discuss the plan.

Local residents, businesses and politicians CBC spoke with expressed surprise at the sheer size of the planned building, with some questioning its height while others worry that it is too wide for the available lot.
Lot is 'tiny postage stamp': Holmes

"It's hardly the location for the tallest building in Ottawa," said councillor Diane Holmes. "The problem is it's a tiny postage stamp piece of land."

The potential site of the proposed condo on Preston Street is just north of Carling Avenue and next to a CIBC branch. The potential site of the proposed condo on Preston Street is just north of Carling Avenue and next to a CIBC branch. (Ashley Burke/CBC)"I think the height is way beyond what that area can put up with. The fact they are going to 35 is quite an exaggeration. I don't see the value that we would get," said Holmes.

The developers are also consulting with the Preston Street Business Improvement Association on the plan.

Stoneface Dolly's owner and Preston Street BIA member Bob Russell said he has mixed feelings about the proposal.

"It came out of the blue, it was a bit of a shock... I mean we're looking at a significant size building...and it's a concern," said Russell.

"On the one hand, I want to protect the heritage of Little Italy and that's what [the BIA is] trying to do...on the other hand, being a business owner I say well [it's] 2,000 more people coming in. So it's going to be very delicate to get a balance."

Dalhousie Community Association president Eric Darwin said that while businesses and the city are getting word of the proposal, the public has yet to hear directly from the developers.

"I think most people will go ballistic when they first hear about it," said Darwin. "It's just squished in."

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/ottawa/stor...#ixzz1BJdOoESS

Old Posted Jan 17, 2011, 5:46 PM
Bulid Up, Not Out

Last edited by BlueJay; Jan 17, 2011 at 5:47 PM. Reason: speedy beat me to it.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2011, 6:08 PM
R2-D2's army of death

How is it squished in? The whole point of building tall on small parcels is to utterly maximize density and profit. It's what Vancouver and many other cities have done. It's not squished in; it's making the most out of the space it has which is a very smart and urban way to do things.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2011, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjhall View Post
Drove by this morning and the sales office is up and almost done on the inside - these guys don't waste time!

Could be wrong but I believe that sales office is for Soho Champagne, which is being built by the same company one block west.

...though, it would be quite entertaining if they started selling units for this building now.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2011, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamaican-Phoenix View Post
How is it squished in? The whole point of building tall on small parcels is to utterly maximize density and profit. It's what Vancouver and many other cities have done. It's not squished in; it's making the most out of the space it has which is a very smart and urban way to do things.
They should buy up the little house next door (which will be terribly out of place anyway). Though I suppose that means replacing affordable housing with probably very expensive housing... but little residential buildings don't belong on a mainstreet anyway...!

Old Posted Jan 17, 2011, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Town Hockey View Post
This is getting interesting! Has an Ottawa developer finally found a neighbourhood that might welcome such large-scale construction? I'm sure there will be some NIMBYism but nothing compared to Glebe or Westboro.
There is nowhere in Ottawa where NIMBYism isn't spreading like the plague.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2011, 7:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Town Hockey View Post
Now, I don't know if there is enough room for such a setback along Preston, but I still think almost any tower can be integrated into any neighbourhood with proper street level integration and attention to the pedestrian character of the area.
One can only hope there isn't room for a setback, but that won't stop the NIMBYs from demanding one.

What do Ottawans have against the street line anyway?

Old Posted Jan 17, 2011, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamaican-Phoenix View Post
In other words, the exact opposite of how things are done in this stupid, suburban, "city".

And why can't Diane Holmes let the architects and engineers worry about whether the building will physically fit on its site? I am pretty sure those professionals know how to use surveying equipment.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2011, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
In other words, the exact opposite of how things are done in this stupid, suburban, "city".

And why can't Diane Holmes let the architects and engineers worry about whether the building will physically fit on its site? I am pretty sure those professionals know how to use surveying equipment.

The think that really bugs me with Diane Holmes is that she is never in favour of anything tall. It is fine and dandy to say this doesn't work here or that doesn't work there, but a city needs tall buildings to grow (unless you want sprawl). At some point you have to be supportive of building something tall downtown somewhere. You can't oppose everything. I have never seen her suggest an alternative site or anything...it is just no, no, no, no all the time.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2011, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_speed3108 View Post
The think that really bugs me with Diane Holmes is that she is never in favour of anything tall. It is fine and dandy to say this doesn't work here or that doesn't work there, but a city needs tall buildings to grow (unless you want sprawl). At some point you have to be supportive of building something tall downtown somewhere. You can't oppose everything. I have never seen her suggest an alternative site or anything...it is just no, no, no, no all the time.
We have to halt urban sprawl if we don't 10-20 years from now its going to be a nighmare.Council can't say were aginst urban sprawl but were aslo aginst tall buildings you have to have one or the other.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2011, 8:16 PM

That's crazy tall! It looks quite elegant though, and I think it'd still be a hit if it were 25 floors, instead of 35....even 29 sounds "shorter/smaller" than 35...hehehe.

I agree with those of you above that stated that the urban sprawl must be put on a leash, and done so soon. Taller buildings will give them the influx of people they are looking for, with a smaller footprint. Honestly, I've been to the area out by Jockvale road, and it's nuts...houses spread out on meandering winding roads with nothing of susbtance as far as services or retail for most of that community (yeah yeah, there's the golf course, parks, and trails), and I can tell by the overall layout of that area, that most people will be forced to use their car for almost everything, and that's the type of developments they really need to put the brakes on.

Hopefully this, and SOHO Champagne, and the other buildings proposed for the Preston/Carling District will get approved, and we can get more people living in the central part of the city, instead of the burbs outside the greenbelt.

BTW, what I said about that area out off Jockvale road wasn't meant to be a personal assault to anyone living out that way...I just think that that type of urban (read, suburban) planning doesn't work anymore.

Back on topic, BUILD that building! It's amazing looking!

Old Posted Jan 17, 2011, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis137 View Post
That's crazy tall! It looks quite elegant though, and I think it'd still be a hit if it were 25 floors, instead of 35....even 29 sounds "shorter/smaller" than 35...hehehe.

I agree with those of you above that stated that the urban sprawl must be put on a leash, and done so soon. Taller buildings will give them the influx of people they are looking for, with a smaller footprint. Honestly, I've been to the area out by Jockvale road, and it's nuts...houses spread out on meandering winding roads with nothing of susbtance as far as services or retail for most of that community (yeah yeah, there's the golf course, parks, and trails), and I can tell by the overall layout of that area, that most people will be forced to use their car for almost everything, and that's the type of developments they really need to put the brakes on.

Hopefully this, and SOHO Champagne, and the other buildings proposed for the Preston/Carling District will get approved, and we can get more people living in the central part of the city, instead of the burbs outside the greenbelt.

BTW, what I said about that area out off Jockvale road wasn't meant to be a personal assault to anyone living out that way...I just think that that type of urban (read, suburban) planning doesn't work anymore.

Back on topic, BUILD that building! It's amazing looking!
Jockville is one thing do i like it no but my bigger concern is what is going on in kanata and stittsville and barrheaven something has to be done a urban sprawl in those areas is getting out of hand.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2011, 8:43 PM
Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Holmes
Lot is 'tiny postage stamp': Holmes

"It's hardly the location for the tallest building in Ottawa," said councillor Diane Holmes. "The problem is it's a tiny postage stamp piece of land."
At least with the buildings at Booth Street and nearby and with the other upcoming ones, it won`t be as out of place like say the Dunton Tower, the big tower near Carlingwood Mall or even the Metropole. Sure my preference would have been having the tallest tower built downtown - sure there are still some occasions left - but at least it would great that we could have finally a new tallest tower in Ottawa. (not sure if it is going to pass Terrasses de la Chaudiere (centre tower) though).

Last edited by Cre47; Jan 17, 2011 at 11:27 PM.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2011, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_speed3108 View Post
Her reported quote about this being "hardly the location" for Ottawa's tallest seems to imply she has ideas about where new tallest buildings would be appropriate - someone needs to ask her where that is!

Old Posted Jan 18, 2011, 2:31 AM

How would they have enough parking for a building that large?The lot is tiny.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2011, 2:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityguy View Post
Probably by thinking in three dimensions.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2011, 3:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityguy View Post
Lets hope that they only provide .5 parking spots per unit as the site is about two steps to rapid transit.

Cheers,
Josh

Old Posted Jan 18, 2011, 3:08 AM

Nice. Hope this new proposal is built.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa