HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Arts, Culture & Entertainment

Old Posted Jun 30, 2008, 7:14 PM

Canada Day Fireworks!

I'm glad it's back again this year....who's going?

JULY 1, 2008 http://www.canadadayfireworks.ca/
The Canada Day Burrard Inlet Fireworks Show will be a spectacular two barge high-altitude fireworks display. One barge will be located in Coal Harbour and viewable from the North Shore, Canada Place and Vancouver. The second barge will be located off the shores of West Vancouver Seawall and viewable from both West Vancouver and parts of Vancouver. Canada Place event attendees are able to see both fireworks shows with the Coal Harbour barge dominating the foreground and the West Vancouver barges visible in the background.

The 25 minute show will be a unique multi-community event allows guests from several communities to view the incredible display. The show is a perfect way to end daytime Canada Day celebrations at Canada Place, in West Vancouver and North Vancouver and throughout the surrounding communities.

Barge 1: West Vancouver Barge

* West Vancouver Seawall from Ambleside to Dundarave
* The Stanley Park Seawall, West Side
* Kitsilano
* Jericho

Coal Harbour
Barge 2: Coal Harbour Barge

* Canada Place – a controlled access point - Tickets are sold through Ticketmaster. Net proceeds go to support the Strathcona Community Centre Food Security for Children Program.
* Harbour Green Park
* Stanley Park Seawall, East Side
* Harbour View Park, North Vancouver
* Lonsdale Quay

Old Posted Jun 30, 2008, 8:45 PM
blog this

Cool. I have some crappy photos from last year I won't share here. We were sitting down by the Mill, foot of Bute St. Not a bad location...

Old Posted Jun 30, 2008, 9:24 PM
Site 8 Lives

I'm confused. Why is North and West Van, along with Canada Place, footing the bill for this party, but the City of Vancouver is not playing along. It looks like a worthwhile enough event -- it is for Canada Day afterall.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2008, 9:35 PM
BANNED

How's the show they do in Cloverdale at the fairgrounds?

Old Posted Jun 30, 2008, 9:37 PM
GQMF

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x2 View Post
I'm glad it's back again this year....who's going?

I went there a few years ago. Awesome show.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2008, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Gull View Post
I'm confused. Why is North and West Van, along with Canada Place, footing the bill for this party, but the City of Vancouver is not playing along. It looks like a worthwhile enough event -- it is for Canada Day afterall.
i don't think vancouver ever did much did they? i always thought the canada place thing was funded federally and vancouver had to supply security ie the police

and than west vancouver stepped in a few years ago after canada place cancelled its fireworks than i think last year north van joined them

cloverdale has some but have heard they are kinda lame

port moody also has some

Old Posted Jun 30, 2008, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Gull View Post
I believe the City of Vancouver foots in $50,000....though that may be solely for the police bill.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2008, 10:25 PM
Site 8 Lives

Well, IMHO Vancouver, North Van, West Van should figure out a way to make this a for-sure annual tradition. It's CANADA DAY for crying out loud. We shouldn't have to scramble every summer to find out where the fireworks are.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2008, 1:39 AM

It's an embarrassment to Vancouverites that the COV has so little national pride. I can't believe in a city that is privileged enough to be able to trace it's start, that the city refused to celebrate it until very very recently, citing such nonsenses as "security concerns" and "policing issues". If that's the local bureaucrat's attitude, maybe we should ship them all off to communist north korea where they will have little to celebrate, and they will have infinite budgets to 'police' the people and 'enforce security'.

Oh, and God help us when the Winter Olympics roll around...

Old Posted Jul 1, 2008, 2:47 AM

I just read that Canada Place is charging $10 for adults and $5 for kids to view the fireworks!

Quote:
Fireworks set for all to see
Admission charged for best view but free elsewhere

Joe Couture
The Province; with a file by Katie Mercer

Monday, June 30, 2008

With two barges blasting colour and light high into the night sky, Vancouverites will be able to see Canada Day fireworks from many locations -- but you'll have to pay for a prime viewing spot at Canada Place.

The half-hour show starts as soon as it gets dark, at about 10:30 p.m. One barge in Coal Harbour and another off the West Vancouver seawall will launch six-figures worth of high-altitude fireworks, designed to be viewed by as many as possible.

Those viewing from Canada Place will pay $10 for adults and $5 for kids to see displays from both barges. All proceeds go to the Strathcona Community Centre Food Security for Children program.

The entrance fee will keep the numbers down at Canada Place, addressing safety concerns that led to there being no shows in previous years, said Mike Shardlow, president and CEO of Canada Place Corp.

"One thing that was always a problem was Canada Place itself, so this is one way of us dealing with that," Shardlow said.

"There may be the odd person here and there that is unhappy with not being able to view them from Canada Place, but we just redirect them to Harbour Green Park [in the 1200-block Cordova Street] -- there's so many places to see these fireworks now."

Other prime view spots include the West Van seawall from Ambleside to Dundarave, parts of the Stanley Park seawall, and Lonsdale Quay.

With West Van Coun. John Clark, Shardlow started the Burrard Inlet Fireworks Society, which held its first fireworks show last July 1.

"We decided enough was enough -- it wasn't Canada Day without fireworks," Shardlow said. "We wanted to have fireworks that the entire Vancouver area could see."

Shardlow said it's "unthinkable" that Vancouver would ever be without fireworks on Canada Day again.

"I consider it part of my personal mission to ensure that never happens," he said.

For more information on Vancouver's Canada Day pyrotechnics, visit www.canadadayfireworks.ca.

Admission is free to the rest of Canada Place's Canada Day events.

The program will feature a Canadian citizenship ceremony, search-and-rescue demonstrations by the Canadian Forces as well as musical entertainment, including a concert headlined by 54-40.

For a full schedule, visit www.canadaday.canadaplace.ca.

Other Canada Day events around the Lower Mainland include:

- In Surrey, the city will host the largest Canada Day event in Western Canada at the Cloverdale Millennium Amphitheatre.

Thousands are expected to descend on the free and family-friendly outdoor show, the main stage of which will be graced by rock legends Loverboy.

Fireworks are also on the menu in Surrey. For more details, www.canadaday.surrey.ca.

- In Burnaby, people can participate in free Canada Day activities at both Richmond Park and at the Burnaby Village Museum, with games, parades and displays.

- Port Coquitlam has all-day events planned, including a fishing derby and its own pyrotechnics at Castle Park.

Wet weather, unfortunately, is set to return on Canada Day. The southern Interior has a 60- to 70-per-cent chance of showers, while the coast will see increased cloud coverage and slight chances of rain and thunder showers, especially east of Metro Vancouver, Environment Canada predicts.
http://www.canada.com/theprovince/ne...d-80ad8149a404

Old Posted Jul 1, 2008, 2:48 AM

Quote:
With West Van Coun. John Clark, Shardlow started the Burrard Inlet Fireworks Society, which held its first fireworks show last July 1.
ok this is a lie because i went at least 3 years ago to watch the fireworks from west vancouver on july 1st

Old Posted Jul 1, 2008, 3:03 AM
David

I saw the West Van fireworks a few years back too, but they are probably talking about it being the first show this "fireworks society" put on. The ones previous were probably just civic ones

Old Posted Jul 1, 2008, 3:39 AM

ah must be that

Old Posted Jul 1, 2008, 4:38 AM
BANNED

SpongeG does your name mean what I think it means?? Like the stone and the sponge sort of thing??

Old Posted Jul 1, 2008, 5:21 AM

stone and sponge?

no

spongebob

Old Posted Jul 1, 2008, 5:21 PM

im going to the bowl series at seylynn, so no.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2008, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by towerguy3 View Post
How's the show they do in Cloverdale at the fairgrounds?
It's nowhere near as scenic as Downtown, and I haven't been for a while, but Surrey has definitely developed a reputation for putting on a great family friendly Canada Day - something Vancouver is sorely missing.

As for the fireworks, they are wonderful. It's nothing like the Celebration of Light, but as I recall, they sync them up with good music, and go for about 15 mins. Plenty of space to sprawl out on the grass lawn with pretty close up views.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2008, 10:56 PM
BANNED

The one they put on at Gary Point in Richmond was awesome. Too bad it got shut down. 1/2 the people there were families enjoying the fireworks. The other 1/2 were drunken idiots. It made for one hell of a fireworks show. They had to call in police from vancouver.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 6:46 AM

did anyone here actually see the fireworks?

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 8:07 AM
I worship Led Zeppelin

I only saw a brief glimpse of the finale from very far away. I heard all of it, though.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Arts, Culture & Entertainment