HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jun 9, 2018, 6:43 AM

I don't see why the Gracy Woods NA was given a platform in this project. That neighborhood is not adjacent to the site and is buffeted from it by a significant amount of ugly industrial/warehouse development. This should be a welcomed improvement. I lived in the area for six years and would have welcomed this to the hood.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2018, 2:10 PM

It feels extremely "bait & switch" to tell PSV, "here are your options for land", only to continue to take each plot off the list. PSV showed compromise by backing down from parkland, don't turn around and screw them again by opening this up to open bidding.

Luckily, I think Adler/Tovo and friends know what is going on, and will hopefully squash this crap. The point was not to find out "what would be good here", it was to find a suitable spot for a stadium.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2018, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morning19 View Post
It feels extremely "bait & switch" to tell PSV, "here are your options for land", only to continue to take each plot off the list. PSV showed compromise by backing down from parkland, don't turn around and screw them again by opening this up to open bidding.

Luckily, I think Adler/Tovo and friends know what is going on, and will hopefully squash this crap. The point was not to find out "what would be good here", it was to find a suitable spot for a stadium.
I generally feel this way, but it also means that Adler will have to show a little political courage with the huge CodeNEXT fight pending, and also the Queen of the NIMBYs running against him in November.

He rolled on mandatory sick leave and never really made a push for Amazon. In terms of broader city politics, this PSV push came at the very worst time possible.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2018, 10:34 PM

Quote:

It is still frustrating to me that people honestly believe that the $20mm in land sale value is worth more than having a professional sports team here.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2018, 10:40 PM

I hope I'm wrong but I'd give this a 2% chance of coming to fruition. I have absolutely no confidence in our city council. It's a shame because I think MLS would be a huge success in ATX.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2018, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abigdeal View Post
I generally feel this way, but it also means that Adler will have to show a little political courage with the huge CodeNEXT fight pending, and also the Queen of the NIMBYs running against him in November.

He rolled on mandatory sick leave and never really made a push for Amazon. In terms of broader city politics, this PSV push came at the very worst time possible.
He (and the CC) also killed the Convention Center expansion for the time being. I wish we had some leadership in this city. None of the city leaders are willing to take a stand on anything important until they are sure which side of the issue will get them one more vote.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2018, 5:00 AM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Just as much as you have an inept council...you also have citizens who are in favor of this sitting on their hands. Not getting up, organizing, yelling, and making your voice heard to the idiots who occupy city hall. And that is not helping either.

Where are the rallies? Where are the marches? Please, Austin, don't screw this up. If so, it will be the fault of everyone.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2018, 5:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
Just as much as you have an inept council...you also have citizens who are in favor of this sitting on their hands. Not getting up, organizing, yelling, and making your voice heard to the idiots who occupy city hall. And that is not helping either.

Where are the rallies? Where are the marches? Please, Austin, don't screw this up. If so, it will be the fault of everyone.
There was a pro-MLS rally today at the Onion Creek soccer complex. They even had face paining for the youngsters who showed up.

EDIT: But as far as I can tell the mayor and no CC members showed up. They only attend events where they can hate on stuff.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2018, 5:42 AM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
There was a pro-MLS rally today at the Onion Creek soccer complex. They even had face paining for the youngsters who showed up.
How many showed up at the Onion Creek event?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
EDIT: But as far as I can tell the mayor and no CC members showed up. They only attend events where they can hate on stuff.
That's my point. None of the "pro" rallies is big enough to force a council member to show up. Also, if constituents raised their voices as loud or louder than the NIMBYs, they'll be forced to respond. At this point, even though there may be more in favor of MLS, the anti-groups are winning the battle...again...because the "pro" side cannot seem to organize a solid campaign.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2018, 12:56 PM

This is true about EVERYTHING in this city, from soccer to paid sick leave to Code NEXT to economic development incentives to everything else. I’m involved with a lot of these groups and keep trying to get them to understand that they aren’t alone, but that our collective failure to show up and fight the forces that don’t want progress are going to kill this city.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2018, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abigdeal View Post
This is true about EVERYTHING in this city, from soccer to paid sick leave to Code NEXT to economic development incentives to everything else. I’m involved with a lot of these groups and keep trying to get them to understand that they aren’t alone, but that our collective failure to show up and fight the forces that don’t want progress are going to kill this city.
First off, I actually believe this is going to get done. But here is my take on where they have fallen a little short. Unfortunately, I believe they are spreading themselves too thin. It feels like they can't decide who they want to target. Millennials? Tech crowd? Hispanics? Families? Local businesses? 30 something's?, etc. It currently feels like there is always a vast gap between each group. Pick 2 and go HARD. Let those groups build a significant base to utilize for PR.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2018, 4:58 PM

Quote:
First off, I actually believe this is going to get done. But here is my take on where they have fallen a little short. Unfortunately, I believe they are spreading themselves too thin. It feels like they can't decide who they want to target. Millennials? Tech crowd? Hispanics? Families? Local businesses? 30 something's?, etc. It currently feels like there is always a vast gap between each group. Pick 2 and go HARD. Let those groups build a significant base to utilize for PR.
I agree completely. I think the NIMBYS will fight, but not "yard sign" fight like they do with issues they really loathe. I think in the end, the council will realize that they will have to answer to the silent majority who will ask them why they let this go. Their kids are in soccer leagues at rates higher than any other sport and those kids, I imagine, are excited about the prospect of having a hometown team.

In the end, they will allow it for no other reason than they will NOT want to look like a DICK to the silent majority. Pool will be able to use this as a "I tried to stop mean old Precourt", and save our city, vote for me and/or whoever I endorse"

I wish someone could challenge in court the un-elected, un-democratic, un-representative "dark circle of power" that is the 100 or so people who run the ANC's. They have way too much power over our city, and they don't even try to hide their control.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 9:41 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post

To be honest not everybody is keen on McKalla as the appropriate place for a stadium. We have a lot of soccer fans in Austin, including myself, but the debate on the stadium site has become so toxic that many have been turned off by the whole ordeal, myself included. I get sick and tired of people who think they know me or my interests and say that I'm not a real soccer fan if I'm not behind McKalla. A whole lot of soccer fans in this city feel the same way. If it fails, it will be in part because pro-McKalla boosters chastised and ridiculed everyone who dared to question or debate them. The idea is to try convince people why a specific location is a good fit without resorting to insults. If pro-McKalla boosters actually did that from the get go, I think there would have been a larger more united effort to support it. There are a whole lot of problems with how this ordeal has been handled. It really has become toxic.

And to be clear, I'm against the ANC and the fact that they feel they have a right to control this city and I agree that they shouldn't even be involved in this issue.

Last edited by Jdawgboy; Jun 11, 2018 at 9:52 PM.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
To be honest not everybody is keen on McKalla as the appropriate place for a stadium. We have a lot of soccer fans in Austin, including myself, but the debate on the stadium site has become so toxic that many have been turned off by the whole ordeal, myself included. I get sick and tired of people who think they know me or my interests and say that I'm not a real soccer fan if I'm not behind McKalla. A whole lot of soccer fans in this city feel the same way. If it fails, it will be in part because pro-McKalla boosters chastised and ridiculed everyone who dared to question or debate them. The idea is to try convince people why a specific location is a good fit without resorting to insults. If pro-McKalla boosters actually did that from the get go, I think there would have been a larger more United effort to support it. There are a whole lot of problems with how this ordeal has been handled. It really has become toxic.
Where would you like to see the stadium?

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 9:58 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinchaaa View Post
Where would you like to see the stadium?

Somewhere where it benefits all of Austin, not just a part of it, closer to the cultural heart and soul of this city which is and forever will be Downtown.

Precourt could buy his own land, don't see why it has to be city land. If city parkland which was already dedicated to sports use is off the table then all city own land should be excluded.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 9:59 PM
Meh

One of the developers needs to propose a 25,000 seat stadium with a 1,000 foot tall condo tower next to it. Make it such a choice development that they won't be able to refuse it.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 1:02 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
One of the developers needs to propose a 25,000 seat stadium with a 1,000 foot tall condo tower next to it. Make it such a choice development that they won't be able to refuse it.
Now that is an idea I can get behind .

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 2:47 AM

Quote:
To be honest not everybody is keen on McKalla as the appropriate place for a stadium. We have a lot of soccer fans in Austin, including myself, but the debate on the stadium site has become so toxic that many have been turned off by the whole ordeal, myself included. I get sick and tired of people who think they know me or my interests and say that I'm not a real soccer fan if I'm not behind McKalla. A whole lot of soccer fans in this city feel the same way. If it fails, it will be in part because pro-McKalla boosters chastised and ridiculed everyone who dared to question or debate them. The idea is to try convince people why a specific location is a good fit without resorting to insults. If pro-McKalla boosters actually did that from the get go, I think there would have been a larger more united effort to support it. There are a whole lot of problems with how this ordeal has been handled. It really has become toxic.

And to be clear, I'm against the ANC and the fact that they feel they have a right to control this city and I agree that they shouldn't even be involved in this issue.
I live right by the potential stadium site, by the Domain. And I can't wait, but you know what? I would have taken Butler Shores or Guerrero over McKalla any day of the week. I am a firm believer it would have had the most success downtown. Like you, I was sad it wasn't there either. And frankly, everyone I know feels the exactly same way (including my NA buds). There just isn't any land available in an area that makes sense. BS and RGG were our best bets, and that was shut down faster than anything. And you can be sure that if it's hard enough to get a good land deal up by the Domain, imagine trying to score some unused land close to downtown. Really not trying to be rude, I agree with you. But realistically, this is the best chance we have to make it happen.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 4:15 AM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Somewhere where it benefits all of Austin, not just a part of it, closer to the cultural heart and soul of this city which is and forever will be Downtown.

Precourt could buy his own land, don't see why it has to be city land. If city parkland which was already dedicated to sports use is off the table then all city own land should be excluded.
You do realize that downtown Austin is not the center of population for Greater Austin, right?

Furthermore, the location of the "cultural heart and soul" of Austin is debatable! First of all...define it.

Also, City land was "offered"/suggested by.......the City (Tovo).

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 4:19 AM

Quote:
But realistically, this is the best chance we have to make it happen.
And if it doesn't happen now, Austin is almost certainly never getting an MLS team. So it's McKalla for MLS or it's no MLS ever. I know which one I vote for (even though I strongly favored Butler Shores originally).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin