HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 3:13 AM

Limestone naturally darkens and warms in color a bit with age. It's especially obvious whenever you see facade work done on the old limestone towers. Even if the building is cleaned, new limestone is going to be lighter and smoother. At LondonHouse the new blocks had to be artificially aged via pressure wash to get the new blocks to blend in.

It's very possible that the architect took this into account, and the near miss in tone will become a better match in color over time. I suspect the base will end up darker than the tower, which is a fine relationship.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 1:03 PM

No tacked on balconies really improves the appearance of this building over the usual Chicago style.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2018, 3:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandelay View Post
No tacked on balconies really improves the appearance of this building over the usual Chicago style.
Very good point. Its what has always irritated me about Park Tower - an otherwise fine PoMo building.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2018, 2:28 AM

8/17/2018

Old Posted Aug 18, 2018, 10:26 AM

Never seen a bad angle of Chase tower and what a neat profile of the Legacy!

Dem pics tho._.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2018, 10:40 AM

Sweet pics LB!

Old Posted Aug 18, 2018, 4:55 PM

That second photo.... I'm basically drooling. I'm not sure there's a better photo to show just how massive downtown is than that

Old Posted Aug 18, 2018, 9:32 PM

Concrete jungle ALL DAY!

Check the photo with the JHC in it- Imagine this view in a few years with 400 LSD, Tribune 2, and OCS, and a completed Wanda...Damn!

Old Posted Aug 19, 2018, 3:30 PM

Aug 18

On the way to the Air Show, the little girl was very excited about the "SkyScrapers !" and was pointing out to her little brother how "that one is brand new" referring to Bennett park

Old Posted Aug 19, 2018, 4:22 PM

I had totally forgotten about the attached park for this site, and I've walked past it multiple times in recent history. Should be exciting to see how it turns out. The previous rendition left much to be desired and I was not upset when it was taken out for replacement.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2018, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoboZill4 View Post
I had totally forgotten about the attached park for this site, and I've walked past it multiple times in recent history. Should be exciting to see how it turns out. The previous rendition left much to be desired and I was not upset when it was taken out for replacement.
The "park" is an underground parking garage, a new park has always been a big perk in this project, the new one is by some famous park guy/gal. The original project name was Parkview IIRC.

April 8 2017
P1070091 by Harry Carmichael, on Flickr

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 2:39 AM

It's interesting how much of this city is built on top of functioning streets and parking garages. Good city planning I say

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 3:06 AM

Definitely going to help ease the height spike from LSD 400 when those two get built. It'll be more of a mountain than a spear, which I think is more aesthetically pleasing, especially when considering depth for views from other northern based angles.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 3:10 AM

That's some beautiful oil canning on those "bronze details".

They must have a flashing sub making that garbage on a break down at the bottom somewhere.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 3:47 AM

Still looks better than 98% of what gets built in Chicago.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 5:11 AM

Alter Schwede! I stroll into town and try and take some decent pics of this building and then see this which isn't just a great shot of the structure but also a great piece of photography.

Harryc

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 8:59 AM

Today

I found this new rendering on the web site and some recent sale numbers. I would say brisk no?

Zillow, inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned.B View Post
Limestone naturally darkens and warms in color a bit with age. It's especially obvious whenever you see facade work done on the old limestone towers. Even if the building is cleaned, new limestone is going to be lighter and smoother. At LondonHouse the new blocks had to be artificially aged via pressure wash to get the new blocks to blend in.

It's very possible that the architect took this into account, and the near miss in tone will become a better match in color over time. I suspect the base will end up darker than the tower, which is a fine relationship.
Daniel Lobitz, Partner at Robert A.M. Stern Architects, notes that...
“The base of the building is rendered in beautifully figured, warm-colored limestone that we’ve detailed with great care.
onebennetpark.com

Doesn't look warm now so this makes sense. On a last note if you look all the residences from floor 63 up, all will have terraces. None of these have been listed publicly yet.

Last edited by kolchak; Aug 20, 2018 at 9:37 AM.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 10:43 AM

so what is the metal used on the accent details? obviously not bronze but aluminum then painted brown to resemble bronze? it's not the seagram building, that's for sure...

"Helmut Jahn has never suffered a failure of nerve."

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 1:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropdeaded209 View Post
so what is the metal used on the accent details? obviously not bronze but aluminum then painted brown to resemble bronze? it's not the seagram building, that's for sure...
To be fair, Seagram is sort of an unrealistic standard for which to hold any building. Seagram essentially had no budget, and was the only tower where Mies was able to achieve an actual bronze facade. The rest of his towers are just painted as well, with at most bronze on just the ground floor columns.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 9:13 PM

Painted aluminum? Come on. It's probably an anodized finish.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive