HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Sep 13, 2008, 5:50 PM

someone else mentioned this recently too - it wasn't you? it was a couple weeks back. pdc's plan was to build the jeffrey up on 11th near jefferson, tear down the low-income housing building along jefferson between 11th and 12th, move all the residents to the jeffrey, then have something built on the site on jefferson. but as far as i know, and i check this sort of stuff all the time, there's been no permitting or anything on that block or any of the other blocks that pdc studied, so i find it a little hard to believe. especially given the market. but who knows? i'd love to see the density over there increase still more.

here's the permit history for the block in question
here's some pdc info about the jeffrey
here's the original pdc study about replacing the jefferson west apts

if anyone can find out any more............

Old Posted Sep 14, 2008, 8:55 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

^ i posted the planning details on 12th and jeff about 2 years ago...

good to know they're moving on it. Too bad for the river city bar, RIP

Old Posted Sep 23, 2008, 12:37 PM

project seems to be moving forward

Just found this article from Aug 21 that states the project is moving forward.

http://www.knowledgeplex.org/news/2187861.html

"The Jefferson West will soon be demolished and replaced by high-rise, market-rate housing that the PDC's Warner said would be "workforce housing."

Fraser will be the developer who will build on that site, where the shell of the Jefferson Street Apartments still stands. He promises it won't be condominiums, either, as originally planned."

Old Posted Sep 23, 2008, 7:58 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Jefferson West Apartments, you mean? I wonder how soon "soon" is. Not soon enough, IMHO. I hate to see the River City Saloon go away though. Then again, I haven't been there in so long. Maybe it's already gone? I'd love it if something similar found its way into the new building when it's done. In 2011. Gah! Or 2012?

Last edited by 2oh1; Sep 23, 2008 at 10:12 PM.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2008, 9:07 PM
Well designed mixed use

Apartments are the ticket right now.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2008, 12:55 AM
A before E

River City is still there. I think the demolition date is somewhere around the beginning of next year, like february or something. But I could be wrong. I havent been paying close attention to this project.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2008, 10:28 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
Jefferson West Apartments, you mean? I wonder how soon "soon" is. Not soon enough, IMHO. I hate to see the River City Saloon go away though. Then again, I haven't been there in so long. Maybe it's already gone? I'd love it if something similar found its way into the new building when it's done. In 2011. Gah! Or 2012?
No my friends drank there a couple nights ago.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2008, 8:33 PM

They have given the tenants until the end of 2009 to move out. They plan on 150 - 200 units, most likely apartments with ground floor retail and/or commercial space with parking.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2008, 4:16 AM

oh, and look - there's a pre-app conference notice - here.

16-story building, no renderings in the pdf.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2008, 4:41 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonpdx View Post
They have given the tenants until the end of 2009 to move out.
The end of 2009? Does that mean you're referring to the commercial tenants rather than tenants of the Jefferson West apartments - or did you actually mean the end of 2008 rather than '09?

Just curious. Thanks for the info either way! While I sure don't look forward to a few years of construction on that site, I sure do look forward to better housing on that site - and more of it.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2008, 8:17 PM

end of 2009 for all tenants

Old Posted Oct 13, 2008, 2:27 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

Wow! I want to say that with the economy in the shape it's in, the timing could work out really well... but then again, who knows what to expect in 2012.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2008, 7:52 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Speaking of Madison Place - the building across the street from the Jeffrey and behind Eliot Tower - I don't think they've sold a single unit in that thing. Madison Place was finished in 2006.

2006!

I thought they were going to build live/work condos there, but they just built what looks like typical office space. And it sits vacant excluding the part the builder moved into.

What a waste.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2009, 10:23 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

What's the current status for the old Jefferson West building, on Jefferson between 11th & 12th (in black on the map below)? Or the parking lot site beside the Plaid Pantry?

I realize the economy put a hold on all of that... but then again, the first half of the Jefferson West project was completed with the building of The Jeffrey a bit further down 11th, and all of the businesses from the Jefferson West building have moved out.

Obviously, the info I'm quoting below is outdated now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilfondel View Post

As best as I understand it, here is the current plan for the site! Enjoy.

I found it interesting that they were considering a "more affordable" market rate rental tower in addition to the condo tower; the market rental tower would have had 196 units, instead of 104 units for the condo tower. Condo tower will be 15 stories.

The second tower planned for the plaid pantry site will be 16 stories and have 270 units. Less than .5 parking spaces/unit.
Any updates?

Old Posted Nov 15, 2009, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
Speaking of Madison Place - the building across the street from the Jeffrey and behind Eliot Tower - I don't think they've sold a single unit in that thing. Madison Place was finished in 2006.

2006!

I thought they were going to build live/work condos there, but they just built what looks like typical office space. And it sits vacant excluding the part the builder moved into.

What a waste.
The Madison was designed as office space, but sold in units (like a residential condo for offices, I guess). The top two floors are occupied, the real waste is the groundfloor restaurant space sitting empty.

Anyone know what Multnomah County is doing with the building on 11th and Main, next to the new Jeffery? They have been tearing out the inside for a couple of months and have redone the roof. Wasn't it also low income residence at one time? 1162 SW 11th Ave

Old Posted Nov 16, 2009, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmlorenz View Post
Anyone know what Multnomah County is doing with the building on 11th and Main, next to the new Jeffery? They have been tearing out the inside for a couple of months and have redone the roof. Wasn't it also low income residence at one time? 1162 SW 11th Ave
It will be renovated low income housing.

Old Posted May 28, 2010, 6:35 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

SW 11th/12th & Jefferson | x feet | x floors | Unknown

While waiting for the streetcar at the SW 11th & Jefferson stop, I noticed signs in the windows of the old Jefferson West building along Jefferson between 11th and 12th. It was supposed to be torn down when the Jeffrey was completed nearby, and then a highrise residential building was to be built in its place... but the economy tanked and the rest is history.

The building has been vacant for... two years, maybe?

At one point last year, wasn't the fire department setting this building on fire and then putting it out as part of training exercises? I remember seeing signs hung in the elevators of Eliot Tower (across the street) warning residents not to panic about that. There were times last year when the street was lined with firetrucks and firemen were on the roof.

I find it hard to believe the building is in any kind of use now... but...

There are signs posted in the windows on the corner of 11th & Jefferson. They're written in a font that made them hard to read in the dark and the rain. The only thing I could really make out was:

Hotel Mandragora - Coming Soon

The only info I can find is this youtube video.

Apparently, it's a... museum? Or is it a haunted house sort of thing? I have no idea. I'd love to see this building put to use again rather than just sitting vacant, but this is just weird.

What's the deal? Does anybody know?

Old Posted May 29, 2010, 1:18 AM

I thought it was an art installation by PSU students, at least thats what I heard.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2010, 3:44 AM

The latest is a seemingly somewhat permanent office/exhibit by PSU for home urban gardening. I don't get it. I thought it was condemned and I lived across the street and watched the fire department conduct training sessions in the building multiple times. One of the tenants, The City Saloon, was a favorite of locals and always busy; so now it has been empty for several years waiting to be developed. I don't understand where the project is at if they are now looking to get back some tenants in the building (and what a shame - the plans looked great!).

Old Posted Nov 7, 2010, 7:16 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

I've been wondering about this too. The neighborhood seems to have improved a bit since the Jefferson West apartments closed, but I do miss the River City Saloon. It was a fun place to play pool.

I realize the timing of the economic crash killed off whatever was going to be built on this site, but I'm a surprised by the total silence. Surely that spot is too valuable to just sit there... and since the fire department was lighting the building on fire at some point, I can't imagine it being rehabbed.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland