HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Dec 1, 2015, 3:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mklunder13 View Post
I came across this article about a master plan that was developed for River North in 2009. I'm sure it has been brought up on here before but I was wondering if this master plan is still something that is being used and being implemented?

http://www.mparchitects.com/site/pro...ct-master-plan
No. There has been no evidence of implementation of any civic master plan.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 3:20 PM
JACKinBeantown

It's been a while. It would be really nice to see some new photos of River North? SKW? Raul? Anyone else?

Old Posted Dec 31, 2015, 12:00 AM

River North is really turning into a great neighborhood! We just need a little more retail.

These townhomes came out pretty good and they add some nice diversity. We need more townhomes!

The 1130 Broadway project is massive.

Prices are getting good enough for underground parking to make sense!

Fencing is up on this one. I can't wait for it and its neighbor to start so we have one developed corner.

Can you remember when the river extension opened six years ago and there was NOTHING along it?

Old Posted Jan 6, 2016, 4:25 PM
Paradise

It is turning into a neighborhood. I still wish that market and grocery was still in plans. Thanks for the pictures.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2016, 3:07 PM
JACKinBeantown

Without ground level retail it will be a neighborhood in which nobody meets each other. They'll only be there at night... in their apartments.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2016, 7:38 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
Without ground level retail it will be a neighborhood in which nobody meets each other. They'll only be there at night... in their apartments.
Broadway St has enough retail or enough potential buildings for retail that first floor retail in those buildings isn't a nessecery.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2016, 9:45 PM

It can be retrofitted, and at some point it will probably make economic sense to do so.

Old Posted May 2, 2016, 6:19 PM

I stole this picture from the Boise forum. Would really love to see this type of development come into the lower broadway/River North/Tobin Hills area. It's so simple, nothing too huge, but is also mixed use and promotes walkability and subtle density but nothing too overwhelming for the built environment. http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...216046&page=59

Old Posted May 3, 2016, 2:22 AM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
Broadway St has enough retail or enough potential buildings for retail that first floor retail in those buildings isn't a nessecery.
You can never have too much ground level retail in an urban setting. Whether residential or commercial, the retail gives the people in the buildings a place to go for lunch, shopping, groceries, jewelry, bars, music venues, etc. I can't stress its importance enough.

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
I might be in the minority, but I disagree with this statement. I live in River North and am extremely frustrated by the lack of retail around me. The new apartments are great, but now that we have a substantial amount of units in the area, the city should really be requiring ground floor retail if they're going to continue to give developers incentives, especially for properties directly on Broadway or the River. Broadway has so much potential to be walkable, but when new apartments take up a full city block and offer nothing to the surrounding community (*cough* Rivera *cough*), it is a SERIOUS missed opportunity. The new apartments are taking advantage of what others have built without contributing anything other than more people.

I love living at The Pearl. I just wish there were MORE places to stop and grab a drink or a bite to eat or shop along the River or Broadway in between all of these places. When there is a giant McMansion apartment with no ground floor retail, it disconnects the retail on either side of it from each other. River North feels extremely segmented to me, with little places here and there to go eat but no real community feel, except within Pearl. Yes--development with no retail is better than nothing at all, but do we really need to settle for that at this point?

Again, this is just my personal opinion (read: rant). Also, I believe that if the people in this forum were in charge, we would be much better off.

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 1:19 AM

Looks like the retail at 1010 South Flores is finally picking up. On the ground level there is Gloskin (salon/spa), Gallery 2020, South Crown Barbershop, Whip Stitch Cake Shop, Her Story (female clothing store), Southtown Vinyl, and they finishing out space for 1010 Cafe.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2016, 8:25 PM

River North filling in real nice. Would like to see some high rises pop up around Broadway!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio