HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 5:16 PM

Adults who wear hiking sneakers in casual social or work situations are generally the type, I find, who wear all the same clothes and maintain all the same personality traits as they had when they 13 years old, such as wearing sneakers everywhere.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 5:24 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The issue is more about wearing sneakers with, say, a sundress, or dress pants, when "out of the town".

Sneakers are for playing sports - not for going out dancing on Saturday night. Hiking sneakers are for hiking - not for going to your nephew's first communion.
Ah. Living in Calgary, jeans are almost "dress pants" in many contexts - and I wouldn't even bat an eye at someone wearing hikers with jeans. If anything, hikers look a fuck of a lot better than the sneakers most kids wear today. At least you look like you made an attempt to wear something comfortable, as opposed to trying to follow your hipster friends and/or display a brand logo.

I'm not sure I've ever seen many people wearing sneakers of any sort with honest-to-goodness dress pants.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 5:33 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
I'm not sure I've ever seen many people wearing sneakers of any sort with honest-to-goodness dress pants.
Are you sure you are a North American?

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 5:36 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramako View Post
Adults who wear hiking sneakers in casual social or work situations are generally the type, I find, who wear all the same clothes and maintain all the same personality traits as they had when they 13 years old, such as wearing sneakers everywhere.
It's great to have all these people here sharing my personal fashion biases!

Feels just like coming home!

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 5:43 PM
Here and There

LOL. There are many people in suits in Calgary that wear sneakers.......but that is only when they walk from their inner city home to downtown. They change into something more professional during working hours. Lots a people take a fairly long walk in the morning to get downtown.

Personally, I love how relaxed the west side of Canada is. You should see Vancouver. Its flip flops everywhere.

The west is just more relaxed and accepting. Love it.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 5:52 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I wear brown hiking shoes. I've never noticed what other people around me wear but I suspect that style of shoe is pretty common because it's cheap and durable and because a lot of people around here actually do go outside. I spend a lot of time walking and the hiking shoes are very practical.

Fashion is something that varies a lot depending on the social circles you run in. I mostly know science grad students, etc. and in those circles flashier clothes are often viewed suspiciously. I suspect I've never met a business person in a suit whose job didn't revolve mostly around projecting a certain image and using that image as part of a sales pitch. That's just par for the course in some industries but if you work in hard science and technology (so things are only valuable if they work, regardless of appearance) it stands out.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 5:53 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

What about cowboy boots in Canada? I occasionally wear them, and I have seen more of them even in Chicago lately. I don't know if it's a spillover from Mexican culture or what it is. Maybe it's a pretending to be ahead of an ironic fashion statement. Mine are the simple cheap workmans kind from an urban vaquereo (I made that term up), but I think they look pretty damn good on greasy hipsters in snug rodeo pants (my pants arent tight because my nuts are sensitive to hugging).

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 5:55 PM
sick transit, gloria

You can have comfortable shoes that aren't as ridiculous looking as hiking sneakers. It's really not that hard. I pass the same judgment on people who wear cargo pants and men who wear flip flops in an area that isn't the beach.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 5:59 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post
The west is just more relaxed and accepting. Love it.
All of that AND the Protestant work ethic... Valhalla!

(Just having a bit of fun with you - don't take it personally. It's Friday afternoon here...)

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 6:00 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
You can have comfortable shoes that aren't as ridiculous looking as hiking sneakers. It's really not that hard. I pass the same judgment on people who wear cargo pants and men who wear flip flops in an area that isn't the beach.
Flip flops - by the pool and on the beach ONLY.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 6:02 PM

Plenty of Larry David-type here...

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 6:04 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
What about cowboy boots in Canada? I occasionally wear them, and I have seen more of them even in Chicago lately. I don't know if it's a spillover from Mexican culture or what it is. Maybe it's a pretending to be ahead of an ironic fashion statement. Mine are the simple cheap workmans kind from an urban vaquereo (I made that term up), but I think they look pretty damn good on greasy hipsters in snug rodeo pants (my pants arent tight because my nuts are sensitive to hugging).
They are quite common (and "traditional") in some parts of western Canada in the obvious places but in the centre-east like Quebec they were very much "in" about 10-15 years ago when everyone was wearing them. The fad has worn off although you still see the odd person wearing them here and there.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 6:07 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by samne View Post
Plenty of Larry David-type here...
C'est qui Larry David?

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Those shoes are a hundred times more stylish than hiking sneakers.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 6:16 PM
gettin' rich!

Quote:

I have a pair of Fryes I love them!

Apparently these are the boots, that the soldiers in the Civil War in the US use to wear.

So I'm down with the Blue Jackets!!

Fuck, they cost me $300 bux!

goodloard..

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 6:17 PM
Heart of the Continent

Honestly, I don't really see what's wrong with hiking sneakers and jeans.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 6:20 PM

Sneakers/running shoes are comfortable. Haters gonna hate.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 6:21 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramako View Post
You mean they haven't yet turned into pretentious douche bags, who pass judgement on others based solely on their choice of clothes?

Hmmmm. I know who I'd rather hang out with.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 6:27 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

i don't understand why people like jeans so much yuk............ not to mention in the midle of winter they get stuck ur skin pain oo the pain sigh.............. and i'm a steel toe cargo pant whereing person the pockets are so damed handy!

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
You mean they haven't yet turned into pretentious douche bags, who pass judgement on others based solely on their choice of clothes?

Hmmmm. I know who I'd rather hang out with.

I don't know how you can't pass judgement on someone based on their choice of clothes, as it's predominantly how people express their personality in public. We all do it every single time we step into a crowd. There are all kinds of common non-verbal queues in society that reveal people's personalities, from what they wear to how they stand to what they do with their hands when they talk. If you don't have the capacity or experience to read and process those signals, that's not my problem.

Furthermore, I never said that someone who often wears hiking sneakers is a bad person. I have friends who do it, but they typically aren't very stylish people, and they tend to be more comfortable behind a computer than at a club. It's not the worst crime in the world, but it is what it is.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada