HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 10:34 PM
Meh

Ouch. This would have been a beauty.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2022, 11:03 PM

Thread resurrection. Something big is in the works. Here's a new CVC determination request for the entire block:

https://abc.austintexas.gov/public-s...rtyrsn=3117754

And because I'm lazy, here's a Tweet with the recent updates:

https://twitter.com/TheATX1/status/1574888091332091932

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 12:00 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech House View Post
One of our threads, perhaps for one of the projects near I-35 in the Rainey district, shows a futuristic vision of the skyline featuring several non-existent skyscrapers near Waller Creek and north of the Fairmont. I wonder if we'll start seeing some announcements and activity when the tunnel is completed. So much potential, I really hope it doesn't get farked up by hit-and-run developers cashing in on Austin's hot RE market.

One thing we have going for us that isn't present in a lot of other boom towns is that there's a lot of interest in Austin as more than a place to invest; people and corporations want to be a part of it, to identify with it, and as such they're more apt to invest in that which will benefit their own image and the quality of life for their employees, which leads to choices that are more likely to benefit the city as a whole. Fingers and toes crossed.

I went back to page 1 to remind myself what the OP was and saw this.

Miss him loads. The forum was more innocent back then.
SATX: 1435k (+8%) + MSA suburbs: 1124k (+38%) + CSA exurbs: 18k (+11%)
ATX: 962k (+22%) + MSA suburbs: 1322k (+43%)

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 5:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
I went back to page 1 to remind myself what the OP was and saw this.

Miss him loads. The forum was more innocent back then.
Me too. 2009 is when I joined and Tech House and I had a great forum relationship. He always backed me up when I took well deserved criticism for some of my annoying over the top posts. He always told me to be true to myself and not to worry about what some people were saying about me. Very saddened when Kevin broke the news of his passing. I'm glad you posted this because I find myself missing him also. He was my best friend on this forum and I wish I had met him in person.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 5:42 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
Me too. 2009 is when I joined and Tech House and I had a great forum relationship. He always backed me up when I took well deserved criticism for some of my annoying over the top posts. He always told me to be true to myself and not to worry about what some people were saying about me. Very saddened when Kevin broke the news of his passing. I'm glad you posted this because I find myself missing him also. He was my best friend on this forum and I wish I had met him in person.
America as a whole was more congenial and innocent back then.
SATX: 1435k (+8%) + MSA suburbs: 1124k (+38%) + CSA exurbs: 18k (+11%)
ATX: 962k (+22%) + MSA suburbs: 1322k (+43%)

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 1:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
America as a whole was more congenial and innocent back then.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 5:41 PM

This is an interesting lot -- egress/ingress opportunities are much more limited than when this was originally being tossed around. The only way out is really onto 3rd St. I guess there's enough room for an entrance on Red River, but the traffic would be horrific, since it stops there at 4th when a train is coming through.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 6:17 PM
World Traveler

Tech House! Miss that guy.

And yes, to the point made by We vs us (or we...or us...or them?), that is an interesting lot. I'm curious to see how it all works out there.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2023, 2:14 PM

Developers behind Fairmont Hotel revisit historic home relocation battle

Quote:
With a $600 million development deal allegedly in the pipeline, Manchester Financial Group once again is eyeing a slice of prime real estate across the street from the Austin Convention Center.

Since 2016, two historic homes on East Third Street have been caught in a tug of war between the hotel magnate and the city’s Preservation Office, after a proposal to relocate the homes across the street died on the vine. Years later, developers revisited the project in a proposal to move the larger of the two homes to East Austin’s Robertson/Stuart & Mair Historic District, which again proved unsuccessful.

Now, the Fairmont Hotel financiers are returning to the Historic Landmark Commission with a new proposal that would see both homes find new lives outside of city limits. The plan would relocate the larger home at 606 E. Third St. to Renaissance Ranch, an up-and-coming educational facility at the historic St. John Colony in Bastrop County, while the smaller house next door would make a longer trek out to Smithville.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2023, 3:34 PM

Very interesting. I don't know why, but I somehow thought Manchester had exited our market completely. But they've just been super quiet all this time.

Curious if the Manchester folks mentioned their plans for that plot or not. Way back when, I think it was going to be a signficant hotel/condo tower, but who knows now?

Old Posted Dec 21, 2023, 9:13 PM

The developer has finally been given the OK to move the houses at 606 & 608 East 3rd.

https://x.com/theatx1/status/1737553...KAMHVCgfx518rg

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin