HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Oct 21, 2012, 4:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
The little star-shaped ballroom is cool, though. Typical of SOAR to attack exactly the wrong aspect of a project...
Is it? I thought SOAR typically didn't bull shit like this?

Old Posted Oct 21, 2012, 4:17 AM
tilted & shifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
The Marriott Michigan Avenue hired Studio Gang to design a new ballroom structure on top of the existing podium. SOAR is not too pleased with the overhangs over the street so the final product might differ from the rendering.
I see no fault in the design. Typically, anything Studio Gang does is beyond reproach.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2012, 4:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
I see no fault in the design. Typically, anything Studio Gang does is beyond reproach.
I totally agree.

This is the kind of architecture Michigan Avenue needs/deserves.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2012, 5:05 AM
TL;DR

Uh, nobody's "beyond reproach".

I'd certainly like to see the rationale for the massive, nearly windowless concrete walls. It's an unfortunate fact that the original 1960s designers put windowless ballrooms up against Michigan Avenue, but this is not the answer for treating the facade. It's not even as good as what it's replacing, which successfully breaks down the scale of the huge ballrooms.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2012, 5:17 AM
tilted & shifted

Quote:

I'd certainly like to see the rationale for the massive, nearly windowless concrete walls. It's an unfortunate fact that the original 1960s designers put windowless ballrooms up against Michigan Avenue, but this is not the answer for treating the facade. It's not even as good as what it's replacing, which successfully breaks down the scale of the huge ballrooms.
The irregular fenestration has its appeal. And Gang's design has a far better interaction with street level than the existing building.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2012, 6:13 AM

Well, at the very least they should be happy there is light openings in the base. I kind of have to agree though. No overhangs. I mean you have to draw a line somewhere. I love the design, but public airspace above is sacred to me. If they want cantilevers, demo a chunk of the base for a plaza

Old Posted Oct 21, 2012, 3:59 PM

I like the original much better, I can't believe that design is by Studio Gang. It looks like a concrete box. Unless they gave them no budget, which in that case I would just keep whats there. The current marble panels are really nice looking and it look like the massing is broken up better and has a better pedestrian scale.

Also, overhangs are really nice if it keeps you dry when you caught out in the rain without an umbrella.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2012, 5:38 PM

Quote:

There are 2-3 stories of glass in the new design. That alone makes a huge difference.

And I strongly disagree that it's not even as good at what it's replacing. Successfully breaking down the scale of the huge ballrooms? Those appliques look totally ridiculous. A handful of carefully placed windows can have a big impact.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2012, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
Well, at the very least they should be happy there is light openings in the base. I kind of have to agree though. No overhangs. I mean you have to draw a line somewhere. I love the design, but public airspace above is sacred to me. If they want cantilevers, demo a chunk of the base for a plaza
What about the bKL design at Wolf Point? And didn't you argue for a canopy over the Wrigley Building plaza?

Old Posted Oct 21, 2012, 8:58 PM

If Gang were hired for a structure atop the podium (hey, what happens to the beehives the chef there is using for the honey-infused beer and other concoctions?), are they really redesigning the entire podium's cladding? I kind of thought they just threw that into the render as a gratis designer's flourish, kind of like an offhand vision, maybe even marketing talk, for what might look nice if Marriott decided to invest in doing the whole podium. Is the whole podium actually in play here? Spyguy didn't mention anything, and I would think new facades for 1st+ floor retail on this major corner, if actually part of the project, would be big news.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2012, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch.G, Ch.G View Post
What about the bKL design at Wolf Point? And didn't you argue for a canopy over the Wrigley Building plaza?
If Wolf Point cantilevered over the water id be throwing a fit. The impact of enclosure was negligible and had precedent (trump). Wrigley Plaza is private plaza space. Didn't I just say in my post "Build a plaza?". I'm not being hypocritical.

I'm sure studio gang would do a beautiful job with this but for every good architect to build out over the street, 1000 more bad architects will follow to create a mess.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2012, 10:43 PM
dream fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
The Marriott Michigan Avenue hired Studio Gang to design a new ballroom structure on top of the existing podium. SOAR is not too pleased with the overhangs over the street so the final product might differ from the rendering.
I like this concept but it seems a little heavy handed, considering this is SG, not one of their best efforts. The random window knock outs don't succeed in improving what currently exists. Maybe the mediocre rendering isn't conveying the visual impact either. The star shaped turret resembles a Galleria Marchetti events tent.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2012, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by george View Post
10-5

Wrigley Building courtyard rehab

So, they're finally getting rid of that useless doorway that cuts off the courtyard from the street.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2012, 12:49 AM

This horrible mistake is also being corrected:

http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune....34866a5109970c

Old Posted Oct 22, 2012, 12:55 AM
The City

quick suburban question

There seems to be something massive under construction just east of i-294, near the Toby Keith's Bar & Grill and Aloft hotel.

Anybody know what that is?

Also, are there any real attractions in this area or is it just hotels/convention center suburban schlock?

Thanks

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Oct 22, 2012, 2:32 AM

^ Among other things, a German style beer garden, meeting space, and office space for Big Ten's new HQ.

http://www.hofbrauhauschicago.com/

http://www.rosemont.com/the_park_at_rosemont.php

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...staurant-space

Interesting quote from the Trib article: "Stephens said that between The Park and the coming mall, Rosemont will have created almost as many jobs as it has residents."

Old Posted Oct 22, 2012, 2:39 AM

E-W University

Old Posted Oct 22, 2012, 3:36 AM

It's sad that this will probably block the ebony/jet sign; the last vestige (since the Michigan ave side saw the sign removed) of an organization that was an integral piece of South Side, Chicago, and US history.

Ignoring that (and the fact that this was built on the site of two serviceable buildings in a neighborhood full of empty lots and increasingly in threat of becoming a new sterile Streeterville with a giant suburb - Dearborn park- in the middle) I'm excited to see this climb above ground!
“The test of a great building is in the marketplace. The Marketplace recognizes the value of quality architecture and endorses it in the sales price it is able to achieve.” — Jon Pickard, Principal, Pickard Chilton

Old Posted Oct 22, 2012, 4:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiPhi View Post
It's sad that this will probably block the ebony/jet sign; the last vestige (since the Michigan ave side saw the sign removed) of an organization that was an integral piece of South Side, Chicago, and US history.

Ignoring that (and the fact that this was built on the site of two serviceable buildings in a neighborhood full of empty lots and increasingly in threat of becoming a new sterile Streeterville with a giant suburb - Dearborn park- in the middle) I'm excited to see this climb above ground!
I know, I wish this could have been built on the corner and you'd have a nice solid street wall. I liked the buildings that were torn down.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2012, 6:23 AM

Anyone know what this will look like when it's done?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/juggern...n/photostream/

Same design as the old facade? Completely new facade?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development