HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Nov 30, 2010, 11:34 AM

Tennis centre construction to begin in spring
Published Tuesday November 30th, 2010
A4
BY GLENNA HANLEY
FOR THE DAILY GLEANER

Construction of the city's new indoor tennis centre will begin in the spring and there will be indoor tennis in Fredericton, a spokesman for the Capital Region Tennis Association promised.

Association board member David Clark gave an update on the indoor tennis facility to the association's annual general meeting Monday night.

The tennis association began planning and fundraising for the facility four years ago and has been working closely with the City of Fredericton to make it a reality.

The six-court, indoor centre will be built next to the Grant*Harvey Centre under construction on Knowledge Park Drive and Alison Boulevard.

"Currently, we have broken ground, and the site is being prepared," with construction to begin when the ground thaws in the spring, said Clark, who chairs the indoor tennis centre committee.

The cost of the project is between $1.6 million and $1.8 million, and the association has funding commitments of $1.5 million from donors and from the federal and provincial governments.

Annual operating costs are estimated at $158,000.

As one of few indoor facilities in the region, Clark and other members at the meeting said, the facility is attracting a lot of attention around the province and beyond.

Tennis New Brunswick is a partner and Tennis Canada has come on board "in a big way," Clark told members.

The national organization is supplying the services of an American consultant who has worked on more than 600 tennis facilities.

"They are seeing this as a pilot project to roll out across Canada, where it is a tennis infrastructure by a community-based, grassroots methodology as opposed to the traditional private tennis club," said Clark.

He praised the city for its support.

"We have a wonderful partnership with the City of Fredericton, who are supplying the land on a land lease," Clark said.

The city will also supply geo-thermal heating through the Grant*Harvey Centre project, as well as parking and snow removal.

The centre will be run by a non-profit organization, either the association itself or a related but separate non-profit company, with representation from Tennis NB, Tennis Canada, the city and various community stakeholders.

"It will be a members' company, but the facility will be open to the public," said Clark.

"It will be a community-based tennis facility. It is unique, in that it will be self-reliant, sustainable and run by the user group ... It will be managed so that people can play tennis at the lowest possible cost."

The tennis association wants to see more people in the sport and will focus on families and kids, with an emphasis on tennis as a healthy and affordable sport, cheaper for families than other sports.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2010, 2:00 PM

Canadian airports at competitive disadvantage, CEO to tell Senate

From today's Daily Gleaner On-line....

The president and CEO of the Greater Fredericton Airport Authority Inc. will urge the federal government to make air travel more competitive with the United States when he appears before the federal standing Senate committee on transport and communications in Ottawa this morning.

"We are going up to talk about our region and we are going to talk a lot about competitiveness and getting a better deal from the government of Canada with respect to air transportation than the one we are getting," David Innes said Monday.

"It is costing Canada in terms of not being competitive with the United States."

Innes is the treasurer of the Atlantic Canada Airports Association and he'll be in Ottawa with association president Keith Collins.

"We are losing a lot of traffic to Bangor, and we are not the only ones," said Innes.

"Every airport across the country is losing traffic to the closest airport in the United States."

He estimates that a third of the passengers from this area who fly to the United States are driving to Bangor International Airport in Maine to enjoy cheaper fares.

"That is a loss of jobs for Fredericton," said Innes.

"That is a loss of revenue to the airport."

The federal government turned most airports in Canada over to non-profit operating companies in the 1990s, but it charges larger airports rent on the land.

The Fredericton airport isn't scheduled to pay rent on the land for another five years, said Innes.

But the Fredericton airport does have to pay tax on the airport improvement fee it levies on every ticket, he said.

"They consider it part of our revenue," said Innes.

While the airport doesn't pay rent, those charges still affect the cost of a ticket for every traveller who flies from here to Toronto or Montreal, he said. Those airports pay federal rent, he said, and to pay it they collect revenue from airlines in what is called landing fees which are three times higher in Canada than in the U.S., he said.

"Those rent charges are huge," said Innes. "It is $140 million last year from the Toronto airport authority.

"That is $10 for every passenger that uses the airport. That's ridiculous."

In contrast, American airports are heavily subsidized at the federal and state level and don't pay taxes. The Montreal airport, by comparison, had to pay $50 million in municipal tax to the city last year, he said.

Innes said Canadian passengers also pay higher taxes and fees for their airplane ticket than their American counterparts.

"The deal is so different between the U.S. and Canada. It is shocking," he said.

The federal government collects $1 billion a year from the aviation sector, he said.

While the federal government doesn't subsidizes the aviation sector, Innes said, it does subsidize marine transport, rail transport and highway transport.

"I think they should stop treating aviation as a cash cow," he said.

"It is huge amount of money."

Innes said he hopes the Senate committee will listen to their concerns.

The airports, airlines and the tourism industry are all making a concerted affect to get the federal government's attention, he said.

He noted there was a major story in The Globe and Mail business section Saturday about the problem.

"There is nothing like newspaper ink to remind them that this issue is alive," he said.

SO, SEEING HOW MUCH I LOVE THE OLD SCHOOL TAXPAYER SUCKING BAFFOONS AT THE AIRPORT AND OTHER PLACES....LETS DISECT THIS ARTICLE AGAIN FOR THE FREDERICTON TAXPAYERS WHO HAVE HAD A LITTLE TOO MUCH OF THIS LATELY....

"We are going up to talk about our region and we are going to talk a lot about competitiveness and getting a better deal from the government of Canada with respect to air transportation than the one we are getting," WHICH TRANSLATES TO...We cannot make this thing work as it is and it is easier to ask for more omoney than to actually do our job or replace ourselves with someone more qualified to run an airport. Say, someone from abroad who has 20+ year in the field of successful airport management with new and fresh ideas.

"It is costing Canada in terms of not being competitive with the United States." WHICH TRANSLATES TO...we clearly don't know who our market is and how the airlines work. Otherwise we would know that the Canadian Airline industry is performing far better than the US market and that if Fredericton was a market in the US, it would probably have less service than it does now as none of the US-based or subsidiary regional carriers would fly more than one flight a day to a market that size in these tough economic times.

"We are losing a lot of traffic to Bangor, and we are not the only ones," said Innes. "Every airport across the country is losing traffic to the closest airport in the United States." WHICH HE CONTRIBUTES TO LOWER FARES...AND REALLY MEANS that he does not get the reason people are flying out of these US-based centres. Again, he has a lack of knowledge and I doubt any stats to back up his claims. First, the cross-border air market for consumers is focused on two major hubs...Buffalo to Toronto, and Plattsburgh to Montreal. Two major issues here. Buffalo is 45 minutes from Toronto AND for most far-western suburban commuters is easier to get to than Pearson. Plattsburgh is 35-40 minutes from Montreal...again, not a far commute. Bangor is over 2 hours away from Fredericton! It is not convenient. And nobody is flying out of Houlton. As I posted before, I have a crisp $100 bill for this guy if he can produce stats that Frederictonians travel to Bangor and drive 2 hours to save a little money. It is not the fares, it is the Bangor Airport's ability to attract more direct flights to more destinations. They run the airport like a business in the USA, and well, they are pretty good busienss men in Bangor by the looks of it.

"The Fredericton airport isn't scheduled to pay rent on the land for another five years, said Innes. But the Fredericton airport does have to pay tax on the airport improvement fee it levies on every ticket, he said." WAIT A MINUTE, rent, or in this case, the cost of goods sold, is always one of the biggest costs in running a business. You don't have these in your business model and you still cannot make the airport work?? Essentially, you are claiming that the "tax" is killing you? Wow, I think the room of small business owners in the room just got up and left.

While the federal government doesn't subsidizes the aviation sector, Innes said, it does subsidize marine transport, rail transport and highway transport. WHICH MEANS, We don't know how to run the airport like a business only as a government bailed-out service like NB Power...so maybe we are not qualified to do the job?

SORRY FOLKS, you know I like to rant about the airport...I gets my blood boiling!

Old Posted Nov 30, 2010, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl812 View Post
I havent heard that rumor, but I think it would be a good idea for them move and open a larger store. Although I have heard that store doesnt really do that well, but it always seems busy, not as busy as smythe street but that store must be atleast three times the size of the northside or Oromocto stores. But like you say, with Walmart likely opening a supercentre up there at some point it might not be the best for them. Also, I'm sure when costco opens that will affect their business as well. From what ive heard now that will likely be late summer or early fall next year. Speaking of Costco, I noticed that some equipment was dropped off at the site there today (an excavator and bulldozer) not exactly sure what for, because I did hear from a reliable source they wont be starting the building until the spring.
I wonder how many northsiders travel to the southside store. I usually shop at the northside location but the Smythe Street store definitely has a better selection and I prefer to use the self checkout.

I think that if they were to open a new store at Two Nations Crossing it could spur further development in that area. It would be a great place for a TD branch (since we don't have one on the northside), perhaps a Shoppers, some restaurants, etc. Eventually get a hotel up there (would be a great location for people going to hockey tournaments at Willie O'Ree).

In fact, I think they should build out the road that goes beside WalMart with this sort of stuff, and then in behind that they should build a new exhibition centre/racetrack. That opens up the downtown land for some nice mixed use development (street level retail/higher density residential).

It would benefit everyone in the city, IMO.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2010, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl812 View Post
I havent heard that rumor, but I think it would be a good idea for them move and open a larger store. Although I have heard that store doesnt really do that well, but it always seems busy, not as busy as smythe street but that store must be atleast three times the size of the northside or Oromocto stores. But like you say, with Walmart likely opening a supercentre up there at some point it might not be the best for them. Also, I'm sure when costco opens that will affect their business as well. From what ive heard now that will likely be late summer or early fall next year. Speaking of Costco, I noticed that some equipment was dropped off at the site there today (an excavator and bulldozer) not exactly sure what for, because I did hear from a reliable source they wont be starting the building until the spring.
They were digging up some dirt on the the Costco site today. Not sure what thats all about but they are working.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2010, 12:29 PM

City's jobless rate holds at 5.7%
Published Saturday December 4th, 2010
Labour | Provincial unemployment rate jumps to 10.3 per cent
A1
By STEPHEN LLEWELLYN
llewellyn.stephen@dailygleaner.com

Fredericton's unemployment rate in November held steady at 5.7 per cent for the third month in a row, says Statistics Canada.

The capital also continues to have the lowest unemployment rate of New Brunswick's big three cities, according to the Statistics Canada labour survey for November released Friday.

Fredericton's unemployment rate this year peaked in August at 5.9 per cent.

"I'm not surprised to see that it stayed stable at the same rate it has been through the fall," said Susan Holt, CEO of the Fredericton Chamber of Commerce.

"What we are feeling from members of the Fredericton Chamber of Commerce is a bit of a wait-and-see feeling still."

She said there's optimism in the business community that is leading to some hiring.

"But there is also some consideration of what may be in the budget as we hear about program cuts and funding cuts from the provincial team," said Holt. "There is a sense that we want to see what is coming in the new year."

Saint John's unemployment rate for November was seven per cent, down from 7.8 per cent in October, said Statistics Canada.

Moncton's unemployment rate was also seven per cent, up from 6.9 per cent in October.

Coun. Stephen Chase, chairman of Fredericton's development committee, said the city's economy is doing well.

"We've been very stable in recent years, and the latest figures are just proof of that," he said Friday.

Chase said that helps the city when it comes to luring companies to the capital.

"People that want to invest in a city, whether it's to build a business or raise a family, like the idea of stability," he said. "Fredericton has demonstrated stability in spades."

Chase also said that Fredericton's value of construction is strong in 2010 at $143 million, compared to $124 million last year.

New Brunswick's unemployment rate rose to 10.3 per cent from 9.8 per cent in October, which is also up 1.6 per cent from the same month last year.

"These results are concerning," said Post-Secondary Education, Training and Labour Minister Martine Coulombe. "We will monitor the figures closely over the coming months."

Full-time employment in New Brunswick fell to 304,400 jobs from 306,700 jobs in October, said Statistics Canada.

Part-time employment in the province rose to 57,300 jobs in November, compared to 55,500 jobs in October.

"Our government will continue to address New Brunswick's fiscal situation, which will help encourage future business growth and investment in our province and create jobs," said Coulombe.

Holt said it doesn't go unnoticed that the provincial unemployment rate is increasing even though that impact isn't felt in Fredericton.

"We don't take it lightly when there are people in our province who are unemployed," she said.

"I trust that a number of smart people are thinking about how we deal with the facts that some of my members can't find the folks they need while some New Brunswickers can't find the work they need. We hope to make progress on that kind of a skills-matching problem in the future."

Canada's unemployment rate fell to 7.6 per cent in November.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2010, 12:33 PM

Regent Mall is home to new businesses
A4
By MOLLY CORMIER
For The Daily Gleaner

The existing stores in the Regent Mall recently got a few new neighbours.

The mall's $13-million expansion and renovation project made way for new retailers and restaurants to set up shop.

The renovation has helped attract popular stores and restaurants, said Colleen Parent-Meade, mall general manager.

"We wanted to make it more inviting for market retailers to choose us as a first option, and it has done that," she said. "If we look old and dated, then new retailers coming into the market aren't going to be excited about locating here, so it's very important that we remain current."

Myrna Brideau, marketing director for the Regent Mall, said the update is helping the mall stand out to potential new retailers who are more familiar with other markets.

"Especially when you're attracting brands coming from the States, sometimes they're not as willing to come into our market. But if your mall represents a high-end centre, they'll look at us a lot quicker," Brideau said.

One of those brands from the U.S. is Aeropostale, a casual clothing store aimed at teenagers and young adults.

Local shoppers who had been travelling elsewhere to shop seemed to welcome the recent opening of Aeropostale. The store is now filling those local shopping needs, while keeping customers in Fredericton, Parent-Meade said.

"They are a big draw. They bring in customers who were going out of town to shop for that brand. Now we're going to keep them in our centre," Brideau said, adding other stores in the mall also benefit from increased traffic.

She said the mall updates its strategic plan yearly, and targets new retailers that will complement existing stores.

Parent-Meade said the mall has fulfilled that section of the plan.

"That's a big part of the strategic plan, to improve the experience for our customers, but also to keep our mall current so we attract market retailers, and we feel we've done that," Parent-Meade said.

Lately, the Regent Mall food court is seeing a lot of new faces as people sample the various foods offered by businesses there.

The first Taco Bell in Fredericton is now open in the food court, with A&W and Timothy's Coffee coming soon.

The Taco Bell has caused a lot of excitement and plenty of revenue, Parent-Meade said.

"They're doing very well; they're telling me they're exceeding their budgets."

There are plans for new stores on the horizon, but Parent-Meade said she can't release any more details at this time.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2010, 12:34 PM

Regent Mall gets $13-M new look
Modern design | Bright lights, new flooring, new food court make shopping experience comfortable for customers
A2
By MOLLY CORMIER
For The Daily Gleaner

The Regent Mall recently got a facelift that will help Christmas shopping move smoothly for shoppers.

The mall completed a $13-million renovation and expansion project that took place over eight months, as part of the mall's strategic plan.

Colleen Parent-Meade, general manager of the Regent Mall, said the goal was to finish the renovation in time for the Christmas season.

"That was always the intent. We prefer not to build through November and December. We know our stores need to get on with their business. It's a very important time of the year for them, and we don't want to interfere with that," she said.

The mall now boasts a modern design, which is consistent with other Cadillac Fairview shopping centres throughout Canada. The biggest aspect of the project was the ceiling work, expansion of skylights, and new flooring.

But the updated food court is Parent-Meade's favourite part of the project.

"The most exciting update is the food court. The whole look of it, the design and the seating. The fact that the skylight was changed into an oval, and then the floor reflects the oval and the tables reflect it, too. The complete design," she said.

The new Regent Mall logo also reflects the oval that can be seen reflected in the design of the food court.

The number of seats in the food court was increased, and shoppers now have a variety of chairs from which to choose. A banquet-style table with high stools was also added.

"They're all loose chairs; they're not a hard-style chair. I had a customer say to me that the seating in the food court is so comfortable, it feels like home. That's what we were going for; that's what we wanted it to feel like," Parent-Meade said.

The new washroom located near the food court was built in response to requests from customers for a more convenient location for those facilities.

"That was the biggest request we received from the shoppers - closer proximity for the washrooms. We were glad to be able to finally provide that. We relocated a washroom, but we did increase the washroom facilities because we also expanded the one beside Tip Top Tailors," Parent-Meade said.

Now that the construction is complete, Parent-Meade said, staff can look back and be pleased with how smoothly the project went. Some customers even said they didn't notice the renovations were going on.

"Most of the work was done at night, and every morning the mall was cleaned up so it didn't look like a construction site. The tenants were very patient. We really didn't get a lot of complaints, it went really smoothly for a project this big," she said.

All in all, Parent-Meade said it was time for the mall to make some changes, and the outcome is worth the wait.

"The mall hadn't been renovated since 1990, so it was time to help with our shopper experience, and to make it more inviting for our shoppers," she said.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2010, 12:37 PM

YMCA gets construction completion date extension
A3
By STEPHEN LLEWELLYN

Construction of Fredericton's $21.5-million YMCA building on Albert Street won't have to be rushed through the winter to meet the federal government's March 31 deadline for stimulus spending projects.

Tobique-Mactaquac MP Mike Allen was on the site of the new Fredericton YMCA on Friday to make an infrastructure announcement.

On Thursday, Prime Minister Stephen Harper announced that deadline has been extended until Oct. 31.

Tobique-Mactaquac Conservative MP Mike Allen visited the construction site Friday. He said the change will avoid potentially costly winter construction for the project.

"Today is a pretty important announcement for New Brunswick and especially the project at the Y," he said.

"We had originally set a hard date of March 31, 2011, for all the (stimulus) projects to be done and in, and all the cost to be completed.

"We wanted shovel-ready projects, things that could be done during the economic stimulus time."

The YMCA received $5.3 million in federal stimulus money.

Kathy Russell, chief operating officer of the Fredericton YMCA, said the extended deadline announcement is good news.

"We're ecstatic," she said.

"It certainly has created pressure having that deadline always in front of us."

Russell said the completion date for the building is the end of May.

"We knew we were already behind," she said.

"Having the extra time will certainly allow us to do a better job and make sure to take care of all of the details of construction.

"In terms of purchasing, we will be able to do a better job in terms of shaving some dollars off here and there."

Allen said the federal government has kept a close eye on the country's stimulus projects for the past six months and it became obvious that some needed extra time.

He said the weather in the 2010 construction season was an issue, especially in western Canada.

The Belledune project in New Brunswick will also benefit from the extension, said Allen.

The other 60 federal stimulus projects in New Brunswick look like they will be done by March 31, he said.

Rushing a construction project through the winter can drive up costs. Allen said heating a project in the winter when the exterior shell isn't finished or pouring concrete in very cold weather can be expensive.

"The Y doesn't look like we would be in that situation," he said.

"The walls are up."

Allen also said there are checks and balances in the deadline extension.

"The projects that are approved for extension will be required to start their expenditures prior to March 31," he said.

"But they will also be required to actually submit their invoices for costs incurred up to March 31 by April 30."

Allen said the goal of those restrictions is to avoid projects starting after March 31. He said that should not be a problem for the YMCA.

"We are really looking forward to this new complex being open in Fredericton," said Allen.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2010, 12:40 PM

Mall has long, successful history
34 years old | Shopping centre has seen many changes over the years
A7
By MOLLY CORMIER
For The Daily Gleaner

Do you remember when Regent Mall first opened its doors?

The mall has a comfortable new design.

Shoppers like the new look.

If you do, chances are you remember the mall as it was in 1976, when it first opened to serve as a shopping centre for the city of Fredericton.

Back then there were 30 stores, and the mall was 184,000 square feet.

The Regent Mall has grown over the years, with the addition of big stores such as Wal-Mart, Sears, and Chapters, and Empire Theatres, which joined the mall in 1996.

In 1990, there was an expansion that included construction of the food court.

Wal-Mart expanded in 2001 and a new mall entrance was built.

In 2007, the new guest services booth was added.

"It wasn't an expansion, but it changed the traffic flow and gave us the opportunity to add services," said Myrna Brideau, Regent Mall's marketing director.

This year's expansion and renovation project marks one more important moment that mall staff can look back on as a game-changer, said Colleen Parent-Meade, Regent Mall's general manager.

She worked at the mall in 1990, and remembers the impact that expansion had.

"When we expanded back in 1990, it certainly made us into a regional mall, and it made us very current. I know comments we got from people (were) that they could walk into a mall in Toronto and walk into the mall in Fredericton and feel like they were in the same type of metropolitan area. I think it's achieved that for us again," she said.

She adds the 2010 renovation was more challenging than the one completed in 1990.

"They were two totally different projects, because this one was more of a renovation with a small expansion, and in 1990 it had a large expansion component. So the smaller original mall was able to function and the building went on separately. It was easier that way.

"In order to get the work done this year, the mall had to still be open and it was a little more challenging. But I think it was a challenge we were able to meet."

This renovation brightens up the mall, and brings the outdoors in.

Parent-Meade said customers often remark that skylights were added during the renovation, but that's not the case.

"The skylights are another one I get a lot of comments about, because people think we've added a lot of skylights. But it's not that we've added skylights, we've redirected the light," she said.

"With the design of the ceiling it actually brings all the light down so the mall seems much brighter."

Old Posted Dec 8, 2010, 9:19 PM

Real estate market expected to return to traditional cycle
Published Wednesday December 8th, 2010
D1
By STEPHEN LLEWELLYN

The Fredericton housing market had a good year in 2010, says Sean Daly, president of the Real Estate Board of the Fredericton Area Inc.

Carpenters with Cummings Builders work on a house on the north side of the city Tuesday. From left are Alex Harris Jeff Smith and David Dakin.

"We are pretty much even from where we were last year in terms of total sales, in terms of dollar value," he said.

"We are down a little bit in overall sales, but we are up in volumes in terms of dollar value of those sales.

"That means less homes were sold but they were sold for a higher average price."

Daly said as of the end of November, listings were up 17 per cent and the total sales in dollar value were up two per cent for the year.

"We have more inventory (homes and land) on the market, which is good," he said.

"More inventory means more choice for buyers.

"It means more competition, therefore it helps to keep the prices relatively in check."

He said Fredericton's economy is stable with government and university-based employment and Canadian Forces Base Gagetown nearby.

"We don't have those big employment swings," said Daly.

"When it comes to reporting real estate here it is not overly interesting simply because it stays so constant.

"The sale of property is a real litmus test for what is going to be happening trend wise in the entire economy."

He said he isn't expecting any change in 2011.

There's a traditional seasonal slowdown in the winter and the market normally picks up in the spring, said Daly.

He said it will also depend to some degree on what happens with interest rates.

Nationally, a new report states that although improved economic fundamentals will have a positive impact on Canadian housing markets. The forecast for residential real estate sales remains static in most major centres in 2011.

The Re/Max Housing Market Outlook 2011, examining trends and developments in 26 major centres across the country, found that home buying in 2010 fell short of 2009 levels.

But housing values continued to climb with almost all areas reporting an upswing in average price, ranging from just under one per cent to 15 per cent this year, said the report.

Re/Max said the average price of a home in Fredericton in 2010 was $179,600, compared to $159,219 in 2009, an increase of 13 per cent.

The report said residential unit sales in Fredericton were 2,150 in 2010, compared to 2,166 in 2009, a one per cent decrease.

The forecast for 2011 for the capital is 2,200 units sold, or a three per cent increase.

Nationally by year-end, approximately 441,000 homes are expected to change hands nationally, a five per cent decline from the 465,251 sales reported in 2009.

Housing values in Canada are forecast to continue to climb, up an estimated seven per cent to $340,000, compared with $320,333 one year earlier.

"In terms of resale housing activity, what many are talking about as the new normal is actually a return to the traditional real estate cycle," said Michael Polzler, executive vice president, regional director, Re/Max Ontario-Atlantic Canada.

"The past decade was truly unprecedented. Never before have we experienced a run up that was as strong or lasted as long."

Old Posted Dec 8, 2010, 9:36 PM

New pictures of the inside of the Currie Centre are posted on the UNB website

http://varsityreds.ca/news/2010/10/8...008100035.aspx

Old Posted Dec 9, 2010, 12:08 PM

Building slump part of natural cycle - city
Published Thursday December 9th, 2010
D1
By STEPHEN LLEWELLYN

As soon as this year's provincial election campaign started talking about big deficits, budget restraint and cutting the civil service, Fredericton's housing construction market started to slow down, says Eldon Toner, president of the Greater Fredericton Homebuilders' Association.

"Most people's prognosis of the situation is that it is because of the election here in the city," he said.

"There were unknowns in all of the platforms, especially the new Conservative government.

"They are going to do some cutting on the civil service. It's a civil servants' town we have here."

Toner, a veteran builder who operates E and R Toner Renovations Ltd., said he isn't attacking the government, but the situation has created a lot of uncertainty.

"As soon as the election was called and all the platforms started coming out, that's when we felt the economy here in Fredericton was just at a standstill," he said.

"I know guys with nine, 10, 12 houses for sale, new houses."

New figures for Canada Mortgage and Housing Corp. seem to support Toner's perception.

In Fredericton, there were 40 new single family homes starts in November compared to 47 in 2009, a decrease of 14.9 per cent, said CMHC.

The number of multiple residential construction projects in the capital was four compared to 10 in November last year, a drop of 60 per cent.

For the year to date, Fredericton has 355 new singles, compared to 375 in 2009, a drop of 5.3 per cent. Multiples were 311 versus 334 last year, which is down 6.9 per cent.

Residential construction in Fredericton for the year to date is 666 units compared to 709 in 2009, down 6.1 per cent, said CMHC.

"My personal experience is that building is down," said Toner.

"There are still people building, but there are quite a few new products for sale."

Toner said 2007, the year before the recession, was an excellent year in home construction in the capital and it has been gradually decreasing since then.

He said he's seeing a lot of renovation work and that's the trend.

"I've been at this for 28 years and when the economy goes down people instead of selling their house ... they will just fix up the house they've got," he said.

Alex Forbes, assistant director of development services in Fredericton, said the city measures housing differently from CMHC, but its figures are also down.

The city statistics are based on issuing building permits while CMHC counts units that have started.

"From the end of November last year to the end of November this year, we're down 10 per cent," Forbes said about overall residential construction.

The city is down 25 per cent in single family dwellings, he said.

"That may look significant, but that is a relatively small number of houses," said Forbes.

He also said the drop is the trend across the country.

"We are no different than anywhere else," said Forbes.

"The market is cooling a little bit and there are all kinds of reasons for that.

"Markets go up and markets go down, and we look at this as a natural part of the cycle."

The construction of new homes was down across New Brunswick in November compared to the same month last year, according to CMHC.

During the month of November there were a total of 211 starts recorded in the province. There were 249 starts for the same period in 2009, a drop of 15.3 per cent.

There were 111 single starts in provincial urban centres with a population of 50,000 or more this year. Last year there were 138 units, a drop of 19.6 per cent.

Multiple starts in main provincial urban centres were also lower in November, with a 10 per cent decline to 100 units.

"The year-over-year decline in total starts for the month of November was mainly the result of fewer single-detached starts in both Fredericton and Saint John," said Claude Gautreau, CMHC's senior market analyst for New Brunswick, in a release.

On a year-to-date basis in New Brunswick, multiple starts are up 32 per cent to 1,550 units.

"Year-to-date multiple starts, particularly in the greater-Moncton area, continue to bolster total residential construction activity in New Brunswick," said Gautreau.

Moncton had 39 single family residential starts in November compared to 38 for the previous year, an increase of 2.6 per cent.

The hub city had 94 multiple starts versus 83 in 2009, an increase of 13.3 per cent.

Saint John had 25 single starts in November, compared to 40 last year, a drop of 37 per cent. The port city had two multiples versus 14 last year, a decrease of 85.7 per cent.

For the year to date ending in November, Moncton had 1,314 total residential starts compared to 884 in 2009, up 48.6 per cent.

Saint John had 626 starts compared to 625 last year, an increase of 0.2 per cent.

In the Atlantic region, 653 residential units were started in November, compared to 706 units during the same period in 2009, said CMHC.

In urban centres across Canada, housing starts recorded in November were up five per cent to 14,746 units, compared to last year's total of 13,989. Single-detached starts fell 21 per cent to 5,551 units, while multiple starts rose 33 per cent to 9,195 units.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2010, 12:10 PM

Business digest
Published Thursday December 9th, 2010
D1

More city employers plan to hire in next quarter

A new survey of Fredericton area employers shows 23 per cent plan to hire more employees, while 10 per cent anticipate cutbacks in the upcoming quarter, says Manpower Canada.

"Another 67 per cent of employers intend to maintain their current staffing for the first quarter of 2011," said Mindy Stoltz of Manpower's Moncton office, in a release.

"Fredericton's first quarter net employment outlook of 13 per cent is an increase from the previous quarter when area employers reported an outlook of six per cent.

"It is also a three percentage point increase from the outlook reported during the same time last year, indicating a steady hiring climate for the first quarter of 2011."

Wholesale and retail trade and transportation and public utilities are the two sectors with the most favourable hiring results for the first quarter of 2011 at plus 17 and 16 per cent respectively.

They are followed by finance, insurance and real estate at plus 14 per cent.

http://nbbusinessjournal.canadaeast....rticle/1344060

Old Posted Dec 9, 2010, 12:14 PM

Porter Airlines eyes N.B. expansion
Saint John, Fredericton and Moncton in running for new flights
Last Updated: Wednesday, December 8, 2010 | 7:15 PM AT .CBC News

Porter Airlines is considering the expansion of its New Brunswick service next year, but it hasn't decided whether new flights would land in Saint John, Fredericton or Moncton.

Porter, which is known for low fares, free snacks and flights to downtown Toronto, started service to Moncton in the summer and company officials say it's been successful.

However, expansion isn't guaranteed.

The airline could beef up its Moncton service without moving into the other two cities, and company spokesman Brad Cicero said three Ontario cities — Windsor, Sault Ste. Marie and Timmins — are also being considered.

Bernie LeBlanc, president and CEO of the Saint John Airport, believes Port City is a strong contender for the Toronto-based airline.

"We have very heavy corporate traffic to centres like Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa as well as the U.S., so I think that's a real benefit we have to offer," he said.

Porter began flying from Greater Moncton International Airport in late June. Two daily roundtrips to Toronto with a stop in Ottawa were available until Sept. 7.

The current off-season schedule includes four weekly flights.

It's unclear when Porter will make its expansion decision, but airport officials in Saint John say they're hoping to hear by February.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/new-brunswi...#ixzz17cFiqkyX

Old Posted Dec 11, 2010, 1:20 PM

York Arena's future is on thin ice
Published Saturday December 11th, 2010
Recreation | Councillors balk at $3.9-M price tag to bring building up to code
A1
By HEATHER MCLAUGHLIN
mclaughlin.heather@dailygleaner.com

Fredericton city councillors are starting to divide over what to do with York Arena.

City council recently approved in principle a plan to spend $147,982 to keep the arena's doors open for the next year and a half. A recent report said the building will need $3.9 million just to meet building codes.

There has been robust debate about how much money should go into a structure that the city might tear down.

Some councillors wanted to halve the proposed capital spending to only $38,500 for repairing the rink's ice-making compressor and $23,000 to deal with ammonia leaks that could pose a safety concern, but a motion was defeated. Another $85,698 is needed to reinforce the roof of the structure and to shore up masonry walls.

Community services director Wayne Tallon told council that if it doesn't direct him to push ahead with roof reinforcements, the city will have to come up with policies on snow loads and keep a close eye on the building to ensure it's safe.

Tallon said ADI Ltd., which was asked to undertake an update of its 2004 analysis of the condition of the arena, identified the lateral support/masonry wall reinforcement issue as an immediate need. The rink's ice-making compressor is being held together with Band-Aid solutions, Tallon said.

"We can't afford to have the ice plant go, because that will reduce our inventory (of rinks) to three ice sheets," Tallon said.

Deputy mayor Dan Keenan suggested the repair money be put into the budget, but that council make a determination of when to spend that money.

"My intention and my hope would be that we can address the York Arena issue so that we can continue to operate that facility ... I'll be clear, my hope would be that we continue to operate York Arena after (the) Grant * Harvey (Centre) opens," Keenan said.

The Grant * Harvey Centre's dual-pad indoor arena is under construction, but isn't likely to open before the spring of 2012.

Coun. Scott McConaghy said without the repairs, there might be times when York Arena would have to be closed to the public.

Finance committee chairman Mike O'Brien has stated he doesn't support keeping the arena over the long term.

"In the future, I think we've spent enough on ice facilities and there's other pressing needs for recreation," O'Brien said.

He said keeping York Arena open would cost about $250,000 per year more than it collects in revenues. It has always been the city's plan to build new ice rinks, demolish the old ones and put the resulting budget savings on capital repairs and operating expenses into the cost of running the new indoor ice hockey rinks.

"I prefer not to spend on renovating an old ice facility, and instead start saving (and) planning for an aquatics facility that will be used by many more taxpayers," he said.

O'Brien said he doesn't dispute arguments that extra ice time would be used, but there are other taxpayers who favour non-ice sports and as the city ages, there will be more demand for water and court sports, along with walking and biking trails, than for ice hockey arenas.

Coun. Stephen Kelly, who said he plays hockey twice a week at York Arena, said he's not in favour of the city keeping the arena.

"We've made a lot of commitments capital-wise for two major arenas and then the York Arena pops up and we have to look at what we want to do - pools, turf fields, soccer and all these kinds of things. As much as I'd like to see us accommodate an extra ice sheet ... the key thing is how is the city going to find another $4 million to keep the York Arena going?" Kelly said.

He said he doesn't have a problem with halting the rink's future demolition, provided a community group takes ownership of the building.

"In terms of the taxpayers forking out another $4 million after we've already gone well over what we planned on rinks and it's such a disproportionate amount of capital spending on ice-related sports, it's really going to hurt our ability in recreation to do other things that are in catch-up mode," he said.

For instance, Kelly said, the north side needs an artificial turf field.

"I really don't think it's fair that just because we need the York Arena ice and the building is there and we intended to remove it from our system, that we have to find another $4 million. I'd like to see us look at a different owner," Kelly said.

If council decides the arena should be kept, then user fees such as ice-rental charges should be set to recover any capital investment the city has to make rather than putting the burden on taxpayers.

"The users should absorb the extra cost," Kelly said. "It can't be borne by the taxpayers generally."

A Save the York Arena group has put together a report for the city showing that there's high demand for ice time, and that without the York Arena the city will be in an ice-rink deficit just to meet current sports demands.

The city's plan has always been to tear down York Arena once the Grant * Harvey Centre opens, but the citizen group's presentation had strong arguments about the need for ice time in the city.

Tallon said ADI's revised figures on the cost of bringing York Arena up to building code - and excluding any other upgrades - would be $3.9 million. Part of the reason for the higher cost compared with ADI's 2004 estimate is that a new building code has come into effect, which sets different standards on the public building, Tallon said.

There are new snow-load requirements and seismic requirements in case of earthquakes contained in the updated building code.

The $3.9-million figure for repairing York Arena is the amount the consulting firm said it will cost just to meet the building code.

"This ADI report does not contain any enhancements to the building," Tallon said.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2010, 1:22 PM

Councillors back spending plan
Published Saturday December 11th, 2010
A10
By HEATHER MCLAUGHLIN

City council has approved in principle the city's 2011 capital spending plan.

The capital budget will be just more than $14 million, and about 76 per cent of the proposed spending plan will focus on reinvestment, repair and replacement of services. The budget will have to be formally approved when council considers its completed 2011 budget.

Acting city treasurer Tina Tapley said the budget focuses on the city's infrastructure deficit because that's the long-term financial plan that city council approved in September.

As a result of new accounting rules for municipalities, the city had to valuate all its assets, from vehicles and buildings, to pipes in the ground.

Fredericton has $1 billion in infrastructure, of which $485 million is invested in water and sewer systems.

Tapley said the city has conducted an assessment of its assets and put them into three categories: the newest requiring little to no repair; a mid-term group that will require at some point; and those in poor condition that need to be tackled.

"The keys to that policy is to provide adequate, stable and sustainable reinvestment in existing infrastructure ... It's all about spending the right amount of money on the right things at the right time," Tapley said.

For instance, the city has identified the need to replace the roof on the York Street fire station ($210,000) and rebuild the lower portion of McLeod Hill Road ($300,000) as urgent projects. A plow truck and loader also have to be replaced ($460,000).

A hoist used by the fleet division has to be replaced because it's unsafe. That will cost $90,281. The boiler at the police station has to be replaced at a cost of $62,500. The roof at the St. Mary's depot is leaking and that will cost another $175,000.

City engineering and public works director Murray Jamer will spend $680,000 in 2010 to continue replacing storm sewer pipes. Corrugated metal, which was the material of choice for culverts in the past, rusts quickly. The city is yanking out the worst of the pipes and replacing them with longer-lasting concrete pipes.

Jamer told city council that focusing on maintaining what the city owns is the right way to go.

"We do have a big wave of this infrastructure that's coming through that was created in the '60s and '70s," Jamer said.

The city engineer said he's also focused on trying to keep pace with new development in terms of sidewalk construction.

That's the approach the city has taken on Brookside Drive, where new housing of all types has taken off, Jamer said.

Two years ago, the city also began micro-surfacing secondary roads to try to extend their lifespan.

Some items where councillors have chopped from the capital budget include spending $10,000 to buy 20 executive style chairs for their council-in-committee meeting room.

Coun. Jordan Graham also introduced a motion to cut $20,000 from the information technology division capital budget.

If the idea is finding ways to save money, then the city shouldn't have to spend $20,000 to do that, said deputy mayor Dan Keenan.

Graham also wants stricter reporting on the results of pilot projects undertaken annually by the information technology division to see if they are producing results.

Information technology manager Maurice Gallant said his department looks at ways to better track data, improve reporting time or save time for city employees.

The city also cut $41,057 from an account that was intended to fund a base for the Robert Burns statue, which has been located on the riverfront green. Because of the weight of the bronze-coated statue and its location near the St. John River, the base has to be reinforced and flood-proofed.

The city has a quote for $81,057, but community services director Wayne Tallon said that's a special price that the contractor has been holding for the city and if it expires, the price will go up.

The city has also eliminated $25,000 in funding it used to give to the Botanic Garden.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2010, 1:26 PM

Vacancy rates, rent up - report
Published Friday December 10th, 2010
Increase | Capital had smallest increase between three big cities
D1
By The Daily Gleaner

Fredericton's residential vacancy rate was up this fall but remains the lowest of the three main cities in the province, says Canada Mortgage and Housing Corp.

Fredericton's vacancy rate was 2.6 per cent in October, which was up from 2.3 per cent for the same time last year, according to CMHC's fall 2010 rental market survey.

The capital also had the smallest increase in vacancies amongst the three big cities, it said.

"Strong employment levels and steady in-migration have kept the vacancy rate low in the provincial capital," said Claude Gautreau, senior market analyst with CMHC in New Brunswick, in a news release.

Employment through the first three quarters of 2010 remained at a record level in Fredericton, due mostly to the strength of the local service and public administration sectors, said CMHC.

Moncton's vacancy rate was 4.2 per cent in October, up from 3.8 per cent last fall.

Saint John's vacancy rate was 5.1 per cent in October, compared to 3.6 per cent last year, said CMHC.

"In 2010, housing market conditions have remained favourable to those seeking homeownership, contributing to reduced rental unit demand and higher vacancy rates in both Moncton and Saint John," said Gautreau.

CMHC said that in three of New Brunswick's four smaller urban centres, the vacancy rate also increased this year.

Edmundston was the only centre that posted a lower vacancy rate in 2010, declining 2.3 percentage points to 8.6 per cent.

Miramichi matched Fredericton with the lowest vacancy rate in the province at 2.6 per cent, while the highest overall vacancy rate in the province was in Bathurst at 9.9 per cent.

Average rents in all of New Brunswick's urban centres increased 2.3 per cent in 2010, said CMHC.

In urban centres, the year-over-year increase varied from a low of 1.1 per cent in Bathurst to a high of 2.9 per cent in Saint John.

The average rent for a two-bedroom apartment in Fredericton rose to $734 a month, up 3.47 per cent from the same month last year.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2010, 1:27 PM

Porter Airlines eyes expanding to Fredericton
Published Friday December 10th, 2010
D1
By STEPHEN LLEWELLYN

Porter Airlines is looking at Fredericton as a possible destination in 2011.

The four-year-old, downtown Toronto-based airline flies out of Moncton, Halifax and St. John's, N.L.

Fredericton "is an airport that we have had discussions with at times," Brad Cicero, a spokesman for Porter Airlines, said Thursday

Porter Airlines is also looking at Saint John, he said.

"We're getting four new aircraft next year in the second quarter," said Cicero.

"We will be making some decisions in the new year about how we will take advantage of those extra planes and how we are going to use them.

"We do have a number of possibilities that are under consideration as far as how that expansion may occur.

"We are still working through all of those possibilities."

Porter Airline started flying out of Moncton this year as its first New Brunswick destination and Cicero said that service is doing well.

"It's actually following a similar pattern to what we've seen in our other Atlantic destinations in Halifax and St. John's, N.L.," he said.

"They are often amongst the busiest routes that we have in the entire network.

"We definitely see Atlantic Canada as a place where we can grow."

He said the factors that help the regional airline make a decision on a new route include: a location within two hours flying time of Toronto; enough traffic demand; and room for competition in the market.

The airport in Fredericton is served regularly only by Air Canada.

Porter Airline operates 20 modern Q400 turboprops made by Bombardier, which seat 70.

The company is also reportedly looking at three centres in Ontario for possible expansion: Windsor, Sault Ste. Marie and Timmins. The airline is also considering a new service to the United States.

Porter Airlines is popular because it flies into the Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport, which is located a few hundred metres from the downtown core of Toronto.

That makes the airline much more convenient for travellers headed for Toronto than the much farther away Pearson International Airport.

Porter also gets good marks from travellers for its complimentary in flight food and beverages and seats that are larger than average.

David Innes, president and CEO of the Fredericton International Airport Inc., couldn't be reached for comment Thursday.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2010, 11:31 AM

City committed to public library
Published Monday December 13th, 2010
Upgrades | Project delays raise questions
A1
By HEATHER MCLAUGHLIN

Fredericton city council is planning to honour its commitment to a $1.3-million renovation of the Fredericton Public Library on Carleton Street.

City councillors, meeting in a budget session, have approved in principle spending $250,000 in their 2011 budget to start the project.

But there's still a hitch with moving ahead on construction because the York Regional Library, which is a tenant in the city-owned library building on Carleton Street, still hasn't been able to find new digs.

The regional library occupies about 30 per cent of the space in the Fredericton Public Library building.

The Fredericton Public Library wants to reclaim that 900-square-feet or 10,000-square-metres of room in order to expand its operations.

Although city council directed staff last May to issue a notice of termination of lease, it looks like the regional library will go beyond its lease into 2011 because it hasn't yet found new digs.

That library service runs the bookmobile in York County and it needs not just administrative office space, but storage for the bookmobile bus.

Coun. Stephen Kelly, who sits on the library's board of directors as the city council appointee, said he's disappointed that it's taking so long to get the funding in place and to get the project started.

"I'm very disappointed that they couldn't take on the schedule that was originally intended because of issues with the York Regional Library and their tenancy there being extended and it looks like they may not be able to vacate there for awhile, possibly into the summer of 2011," Kelly said.

"The city has been working with them and with the Department of Supply and Services to find them a property. Council is still supportive of the library, but it's regrettable that they can't get at it until the fall (of 2011)."

Fredericton Public Library director Brian Steeves, in a budget update to city council recently, said delaying the project is driving up costs.

The project architect has cautioned that every year of delay adds a minimum of seven per cent inflationary increase in construction costs, he said.

"But the architect assures me that Phase 1 can be done in a 14-week period," Steeves told council.

The original construction plans for the library renovation called for completion of Phase 1 by the spring of 2010.

The library is doing some upgrades now. For instance, it's working on elevator improvements this month.

In order to work around the delays, some work has been shifted from one phase of the project to another, Steeves said.

The city is looking to spend about $299,700 in 2012 on the library with the remainder of the funding coming in 2014.

"The need is definitely there. The library has probably had its busiest year in the last five years. Visitation is up by seven per cent. Circulation is up by eight per cent. Program participation up by 12 per cent so far this year," Steeves said.

Coun. Stephen Chase also supports funding the library, which he said is a tremendous asset to the city.

With demand for library services on the rise, Chase said it's a good investment on the part of the city.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2010, 1:16 PM

Phoenix Landing building wins Mayor's Award
Published Tuesday December 14th, 2010
D1
By STEPHEN LLEWELLYN

Phoenix Landing, the new 14-unit apartment building at the corner of George and York streets, is the winner of the Mayor's Award at the 11th annual Fredericton 2010 Developers Awards.

The project, owned by A and R Rentals, was one of 11 honoured in the awards ceremony, which was held in the council chambers Monday.

"The annual development committee awards reception provides an opportunity to come together and thank those who have shown leadership in their development projects," said Coun. Stephen Chase, chairman of the development committee.

Mayor Brad Woodside said Phoenix Landing, which was built on the site of an apartment building that burned down in 2009, is an architecturally significant building in the city's downtown core directly across from St. Paul's United Church - which is a national historic site - York House and the Brunswick Street Baptist Church.

It's adjacent to the Webb Associates building, which is one of the finest examples of a former Gothic revival home in the city, he said.

"It was in a very important part of Fredericton, so when we had the fire, we knew that we had to do a special project," said Neil Brown of A and R Rentals.

"We couldn't just build ... a simple suburban building.

"A lot of thought process had to go into keeping with the heritage and context of where the building was situated."

The building also has six units that are designated for affordable housing.

"We felt that was just the right thing to do," said Brown.

"It provides an opportunity for people that need a chance and a little assistance."

The building is in the downtown and close to parks, doctors and schools, he said. Sometimes affordable housing is built on the edge of the community off by itself, and that's not the right way to go, he said.

Brown said city hall was helpful when it came to rebuilding on the site.

Project architect John Leroux said once the building was finished, it quickly filled up.

He said Premier David Alward wanted to live there but it was full.

Leroux said the new building reflects the colours, materials and roof lines of the surrounding historic properties. A building design needs to delve into the history of a site, he said.

Woodside said that traditionally the people of Fredericton have been afraid of designs that are out of the ordinary.

But there's a lot more diversity in housing in the city now, he said.

"I would like to thank all of the developers for their innovative thinking," said the mayor.

Other winners include:

* the medical office of Dr. William Cook on Sunset Drive, which received the environmentally sensitive redevelopment award for protecting a natural wetland;

* Northrup Holdings Ltd. won the subdivision design award for its Northbrook subdivision on Brookside Drive, which includes single, detached homes; semi-detached dwellings, townhouses, apartment buildings and mini-homes;

* The John Howard Society's new office and 12-unit affordable-housing project on Main Street won the affordable housing award;

* DJM Development Ltd. won the design award for its 35-unit, six-storey condominium development called One South View Lane on the north bank of the St. John River in which all the units face the river and the landscape integrates the river front trail;

* the contribution to development award went to Fernco, which built the NB Ambulance Building at 24 Harold Doherty Court;

* the environmental design award was presented to E and R Toner Renovations for its project at 654 Riverside Drive, which reclaimed and developed a contaminated site using green building techniques, including a roof made of recycled car tires from Minto;

* the comprehensive townhouse design went to Colpitts Development for its Willow Valley project on the former CBC communications tower land on Kimble Drive;

* the cultural community award went to landlord Brian Johnson of Kingswood, who helped Gallery Connexion find a new home in the Chestnut Complex at 440 York Street, including free rent while the space was renovated;

* Jeff Harris and Ellen MacIntosh won the Victorian paint scheme award for their property at 92 Waterloo Row, a 21/2-storey Gothic revival dwelling of 1840s construction;

* and the comprehensive planning design award went to Shannex Inc. retirement complex on Patience Lane.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces