HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Nov 12, 2011, 12:49 AM

Alabama's highway building has always been embarrasingly slow. Hop on over to Mississippi, and US 82 is built to freeway standard for the most of the state (and interstate standard in the vicinity of Starkville). Meanwhile, Alabama struggles to widen major intrastate highways after 50 years.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2015, 9:20 PM
Cat Enthusiast

The Centreville/Brent bypass on US 82 between Tuscaloosa and Montgomery is FINALLY open! Should cut travel time between those two by at least 2 or 3 min if not more.

Also, all Birminghamians should get ready for the beginning of the downtown viaduct reconstruction. The actual replacement shouldn't start for a couple of years, but preliminary road widening and ramp construction/removal will be taking place for the next couple of years.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Aug 10, 2015, 4:49 PM

That US 82 bypass cuts more than 2-3 minutes. I hated driving through Centreville a d the cops are dicks there.

The road rides really nice too

Old Posted Aug 10, 2015, 8:41 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Hah, it's funny how once I move to Birmingham, that bypass is finally completed. I go to Florida very frequently, but now I won't be able to enjoy the benefits of that damn road...

Old Posted Mar 31, 2016, 5:45 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Welp, I gathered some info when I drove to Cullman to trade cars with my brother.

The control city for the I-22/65 interchange if you're on I-65 will be Memphis. I'm sure some of you knew this, but for those of you who did not, ta-da!

Control city designations are weird. The control city on I-59 leaving Chattanooga is Birmingham, but the control city on I-59 leaving Birmingham is Gadsden. I'm sure a lot of that has to do with major cities based on whether or not they are in, or out, of state.

I half expected the control city to be Tupelo. Memphis makes the most since, of course. I was just surprised considering the distance that I-22 runs.

Anyways! Looking forward to the damn interchange completion!

Old Posted Mar 31, 2016, 4:28 PM
The Salty Ham

A friend of mine tells me that control cities are determined by spurs and major junctions in those cities, not just them passing through a city is enough.

So if you are in Birmingham you see Gadsden and Tuscaloosa because of the fact they have interstate spurs. We used to see Nashville on 65 North until 565 was finished and Huntsville annexed some land out to the interchange. Tupelo or Jasper dont have an interchange with 22 so it defaults to Memphis being the end point.

Last edited by Tourian; Mar 31, 2016 at 4:39 PM.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2016, 4:48 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
A friend of mine tells me that control cities are determined by spurs and major junctions in those cities, not just them passing through a city is enough.

So if you are in Birmingham you see Gadsden and Tuscaloosa because of the fact they have interstate spurs. We used to see Nashville on 65 North until 565 was finished and Huntsville annexed some land out to the interchange. Tupelo or Jasper dont have an interchange with 22 so it defaults to Memphis being the end point.
They are typically determined based on interchanges with other interstates.

Growing up in Decatur (when I was cognizant of hwy signage in the late 90s) , even NASHVILLE was listed as the control city for I-65N. Which, btw, if you're going by interchanges both Huntsville and Decatur should be listed as control on I-65 since I-565 extends into the city limits of Decatur. Another weird thing is if you're leaving the Chattanooga area, Birmingham is the control, not Gadsden. Also, on I-85N from Montgomery, Atlanta is the control not Columbus (but my personal thoughts behind that are explained later in this response in the form of I-20/59-459 signage).

Also, there's a control sign for New York City on I-95N in Baltimore...?

I don't think there is actually a set standard for what determines a control city. I think it is mostly based on what would be considered in the best interest of the traveler. IE: why put directions on a sign for a city that would be more easily accessible via a different route. A prime example of this is if you're driving on I-20/59 toward Dtwn Bham near the interchange I-459. If you've ever driven the route, you'll notice that there isn't a sign for Montgomery via I-459. That is because Montgomery is more easily/quickly accessible via US and State routes emanating from Tuscaloosa and a few points eastward.

The reason I think it's odd that Memphis is the control instead of Tupelo is because Tupelo is a major midway stop between the cities with a major highway interchange. Even Jasper, AL has a series of major interchanges along the bypass that Future 22 created around the city.

Economically it makes perfect sense. Advertising a direct connection to one of the world's largest shipping hubs encourages more thru-traffic. Not to mention the transport upgrade of having a fully modern interchange that connects to that fully modern hub. It also increases outsiders views of connectivity, and yadda yadda yadda.

Btw, to be my own ombudsmen, it is worth noting that the interchange with US 78S in Memphis signs Birmingham as the destination, not Tupelo.

Anyways, mountains out of mole hills.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2016, 3:13 PM
The Salty Ham

Maybe Huntsville wins out because it is bigger than Decatur at the time 565 was completed. But I dont get what you mean by Nashville being on the 65N signs in Decatur when you were growing up there. To me that is obvious and goes along with what I was saying. What do you think it should of been. Or is it different now?

I guessing TDOT may be lazy and not worrying about changing their 59S signs and will probably get around to it later than sooner.

Old Posted May 29, 2016, 12:39 PM

Does anyone know why ALDOT is widening an 8 to 10 mile stretch of I20, starting at the Georgia line then west toward Anniston?

There does not appear to be any effort from Georgia to widen the highway east of the state line.

It just seems to me that ALDOT could have made better use of the money by working on highways around one of our population centers

Old Posted May 30, 2016, 5:43 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltider View Post
Does anyone know why ALDOT is widening an 8 to 10 mile stretch of I20, starting at the Georgia line then west toward Anniston?

There does not appear to be any effort from Georgia to widen the highway east of the state line.

It just seems to me that ALDOT could have made better use of the money by working on highways around one of our population centers
Are you sure it's not just 'safety widening'? Safety widening includes a widening of just 3 or so feet to allow for a safe breakdown "zone".

If ALDOT is actually widening I20 to 6 lanes, I'd say it's because most Alabamamians don't realize how close the urbanized areas of Atlanta are. It may not look like it, but if you drive 20 miles into Georgia from the state line, you're truly entering the urbanized areas of Atlanta.

I'm actually fine with the state upgrading I20 between Birmingham and the the GA/AL line. After Anniston, there is a void between the Central Alabama urbanized area that stops at Anniston and the Atlanta urbanized area that starts around Bremen/Carrollton. (Let's all keep in mind that these are 'Southeastern urbanized areas').

Birmingham is the economic heart of the state. I personally believe that there should be, at least, 6 lane interstates extending from Birmingham to Gadsden (long way to go), Anniston (almost there), Tuscaloosa (almost there), Montgomery (long way to go), Decatur (long way to go), etc...

6 lanes really decrease travel times. So, if the interstate is truly being widened to 6 lanes, that means better access to Anniston and also Birmingham from Atlanta. It might not appear beneficial, but a third lane in each direction can work wonders; there's a reason why the state is constantly widening 20/59 toward Tuscaloosa from Birmingham.

Old Posted May 30, 2016, 7:05 PM
The Salty Ham

I'm all for that but I think 65 is the priority. 3 lanes south of downtown is a joke but 2 lanes from Alabaster on down is down right criminal in the summer time. Beach traffic plus locals usually means a bad accident every other day that sometimes shuts the interstate down. And it is supposed to be a hurricane evacuation route.

Old Posted May 31, 2016, 1:26 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
I'm all for that but I think 65 is the priority. 3 lanes south of downtown is a joke but 2 lanes from Alabaster on down is down right criminal in the summer time. Beach traffic plus locals usually means a bad accident every other day that sometimes shuts the interstate down. And it is supposed to be a hurricane evacuation route.
Well, the Hurricane evacuation route technically only extends to Montgomery. During evacuations, contraflow allows for 8 lanes northbound on 65 to Montgomery; so, truly, the really need for that evac route is for the Baldwin Beach Express to be extended north to 65. But that's another story.

In the end, I agree. 65 should be the bigger priority. IMO it should be 6 lanes between Montgomery and Birmingham, or at least to Clanton from Birmingham.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2016, 9:57 PM
The Salty Ham

Only a little while longer for our end of 22...

http://abc3340.com/news/local/ribbon...et-for-june-20

Old Posted Jun 20, 2016, 10:53 PM
Cat Enthusiast

The I-22/I-65 interchange officially opened today. I'm excited to see what kind of impact this with have on areas NW of the city. Maybe we'll see a resurgence of Jasper? Easy driving distance. Either way, this'll be a boon for coal country.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2016, 11:14 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Got off work early today so I ventured to the I-22/I-65 interchange.

I was expecting it to b pretty quiet, but I noticed plenty of trucks inbound to Birmingham. There was probably twice as much traffic coming into town as there was leaving (keep in mind I was there around 3:30PM), but there was definitely some traffic.

I checked on Google Maps and the opening of the interchange cuts off around 10 minutes between Birmingham and Memphis. Doesn't seem like much, but in the grand scheme of things (especially where FedEx is concerned) it's significant.

I'm interested to see how rush hour looks at the interchange after a couple of weeks or so.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2016, 7:30 PM
The Salty Ham

I meant to check it out but was short on time and was only able to drive the easiest portion which is 22 East to 65 South. Everything looked okay and it was mostly smooth and very big/wide. They left the rumble strips behind that warned of the original end which was a bit disappointing considering all the time it took to get to this point. Other than that, though - it is impressive in size and then on to the widened 65 with all those lanes as opposed to other interchanges in the metro.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2016, 1:24 AM
Cat Enthusiast

I-22/I-65 is totally open.

This interchange is performing wonderfully after years of delay and dysfunction.

Just for s***s and gigs, I've driven it every now and again for the past week.

Shipping traffic has taken to it well; that's good news economically as well as for safety.

Here's to hoping the northwest region of Birmingham sees more opportunity!!!

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 1:17 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Multiple digital message boards are being installed along inbound Birmingham interstates. From my own commute, an additional message board as been installed north of the Tallapoosa Street interchange. On I-65 a digital message board is being installed between Oxmoor Valley and the Green Springs interchange.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 2:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tascalisa View Post
Multiple digital message boards are being installed along inbound Birmingham interstates. From my own commute, an additional message board as been installed north of the Tallapoosa Street interchange. On I-65 a digital message board is being installed between Oxmoor Valley and the Green Springs interchange.
I think one is going up on 20/59 coming from west right before arkadelphia highway exit. Probably warning signs before the closure for the rebuilt to let people know different detours..After the rebuilt...they will probably come down.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 2:12 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcalumni01 View Post
I think one is going up on 20/59 coming from west right before arkadelphia highway exit. Probably warning signs before the closure for the rebuilt to let people know different detours..After the rebuilt...they will probably come down.
They're the nice LED kind, so I hope they keep them after all the construction is done... would be nice to have some extras.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast