HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 26, 2014, 10:43 PM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevvac View Post
Mah's point.......hmmm....well its the tallest building in town, I can say that much. I will try to get a photo this evening. There may be an office building (though not a mid-rise) coming soon.....actually there are a few interesting things coming up.
Great to hear about the office buildings, sucks they won't have any height though and I guess it sounds like Mah's Point didn't turn out to great? Meh, too bad. There will be other opportunities though!

If you're ever up to it, I'm sure many people on the Canada section would love to see construction updates from you! We never hear from the smaller significant cities, so it would be nice. Also any info you can give us/show us about proposals would be cool too *hint hint*

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2014, 10:49 PM
Rational urbanist

^^^Definitely. The north fascinates me, so any updates or info you'd be able to provide would be very appreciated.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2014, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
What do you mean by trailer? I can't even picture that
It could be an ATCO-style modular building, rather than just you know, a single-wide trailer. They're quite well suited to Northern construction, and can actually be fairly substantial buildings:

(from ATCO)

Old Posted Mar 27, 2014, 2:07 AM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIce View Post
It could be an ATCO-style modular building, rather than just you know, a single-wide trailer. They're quite well suited to Northern construction, and can actually be fairly substantial buildings:

(from ATCO)
That doesn't look that bad. I was kind of picturing something like this:

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grise_Fiord_Airport

Old Posted Mar 27, 2014, 2:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
That doesn't look that bad. I was kind of picturing something like this:
I mean, the picture I posted wasn't the 'wing' we're discussing, so it might be closer to that in the end. What I posted is just a large building built out of standardized trailer units.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2014, 4:01 AM

^^ Yes the airport addition will be a prefabricated building like the Grise Fiord Airport photo. I can certainly keep you up to date on the construction goings-on in the Yukon, not so much the rest of the north.....maybe the western NWT (like Inuvik)....didnt get out to take photos around downtown Whse today but I will.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2014, 1:16 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Any tidbit of news from the north is fascinating. Keep 'em coming!
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Mar 27, 2014, 1:56 PM

I believe the Grise Fjord terminal was stick built, or as close to it as can be done. Prefab would have been tough to ship up. Plus getting it up the hill from the beach would have been equally tough. Dawson could indeed get a pre built unit.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 6:13 AM

Et Voila! Mah's Point. Its, well…. tall for Whitehorse. I like this photo, its truly a northern moment: note the log cabin in the foreground.

What other 'high' density looks like in Whitehorse.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 6:16 AM
ARTchitecture

Thanks man, you rock! Anything taller than Mah's in the works that you know of?

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 6:31 AM
Rational urbanist

Yeah, thanks a lot! I actually like it. From that photo at least it just seems kind of isolated. I'm not sure where it is, but I feel like if there were some more buildings around it it would look great.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 3:14 PM

Isn't the green building the Trappers supply store. (great little tourist Stop). They had just started the foundation on Mahs Point when I was last up.

There are other low rise near by along the river. As for higher, I believe there is a height restriction for the downtown. No-one wants to loose the view.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 3:24 PM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy View Post
Isn't the green building the Trappers supply store. (great little tourist Stop). They had just started the foundation on Mahs Point when I was last up.

There are other low rise near by along the river. As for higher, I believe there is a height restriction for the downtown. No-one wants to loose the view.
It's gonna have to happen eventually, Whitehorse is growing fast. The transition from town to city is always a hard one to swallow for a lot of people however.

Would the airport have something to do with height restrictions as well? They're really gonna have to move that eventually. That land is too developable and close to downtown to be used for an airport.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 4:50 PM

Quote:
I believe the Grise Fjord terminal was stick built, or as close to it as can be done. Prefab would have been tough to ship up. Plus getting it up the hill from the beach would have been equally tough. Dawson could indeed get a pre built unit.
From my understanding, modular would be too expensive to ship up North. The cost of shipping is based on both weight + volume - for modular, you are paying a lot for volume. Also, in a lot of these communities, there is a lack of equipment. As for stick-built - it is also a bit difficult to built up North.

There is a lack of specialized labor, and because of the very difficult conditions to built (cold,) stick build performance can easily be compromised because of labor and workmanship.

Actually, in Nunavut, I believe there is a switch from stick built to panelized.

These "Tuktu" are panelized houses that are doing rather well in the North. They are easy to put up and they are very high performing.

They use SIP (Structural Insulated Panels.)

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 5:07 PM
ARTchitecture

Quote:

The height restrictions are all because of the airport, not the views. Most of the central city of Whitehorse is on a level flood plain, no one has views except the people in multi-storey buildings, and the people along the river really...

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 5:40 PM
Closed account

My favourite Whitehorse skyscraper:

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 8:36 PM

The tallest you can build in Whitehorse is currently 25m....... I think it is more an urban design / views issue than an airport one. That said the approach for runway 19 runs over downtown (its the diagonal runway) which probably limits heights. Its not used much at all these days. The final approaches for 13/31 are outside of downtown. Don't know of anything that will be as tall as Mah's for a while.....a few three and four storey projects coming along....

Whitehorse is growing fast, though condos have stalled completely.

Also we do use SIPs in the communities, modular makes little sense outside of the 'larger' centers

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 7:13 PM

Iqaluit Aquatic Centre

Most of the building product should be on the first ship in this summer.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/...pool-1.2613028

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 7:16 PM
Rational urbanist

Very exciting news, I've been waiting on this one for a while now. I wish we had a resident Iqaluit forumer to show us construction pics!

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 7:54 PM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Iqaluit Aquatic Centre

Most of the building product should be on the first ship in this summer.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/...pool-1.2613028
Is it the original awesome design with the water slides and stuff?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada