HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Dec 27, 2011, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
Same old story:

http://www.myspace.com/thiswilldestroyyou/shows

Toronto February 4th.
Montreal February 5th.
There are alot of acts that go to Montreal/toronto and come to Ottawa not everyone but a fair amount do come to Ottawa could it be better sure but its not that bad.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2011, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cre47 View Post
Tickets starting at 82.10$ plus services charges. OOOKAY!

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/enterta...megadrop_story
Cre,
Are you going to Deadmau5? If so, I hope you take some pics.... Can't go myself... I'm biking in Thailand. This will be a bad ass show!

Old Posted Dec 27, 2011, 8:47 PM
Awesome!

No, I won't be going there unfortunately. Also, i've just about them not a long time ago, and it was thanks to Facebook I was aware they are in town opening for the new CE Centre
"However, the Leafs have not won the Cup since 1967, giving them the longest-active Cup drought in the NHL, and thus are the only Original Six team that has not won the Cup since the 1967 NHL expansion." Favorite phrase on the Toronto Maple Leafs Wikipedia page.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2011, 3:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reidjr View Post
There are alot of acts that go to Montreal/toronto and come to Ottawa not everyone but a fair amount do come to Ottawa could it be better sure but its not that bad.
Actually, it is pretty much that bad, yup.

At least for anyone with musical taste beyond Booze Fest and Whoredown.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2011, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Same old story:

http://www.myspace.com/thiswilldestroyyou/shows

Toronto February 4th.
Montreal February 5th.
Yeah, there show when they played Ottawa a few years ago was great, were you there?

Old Posted Dec 29, 2011, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Actually, it is pretty much that bad, yup.

At least for anyone with musical taste beyond Booze Fest and Whoredown.
No not really as i said alot of acts that go to Montreal & Toronto do come to Ottawa as for the festivals you may not like them and thats fine but alot of people do even people come from Toronto & Montreal.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2011, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reidjr View Post
No not really as i said alot of acts that go to Montreal & Toronto do come to Ottawa as for the festivals you may not like them and thats fine but alot of people do even people come from Toronto & Montreal.
Yes, a lot of crap acts that go to Montreal and Toronto come to Ottawa, too.

But Ottawa is a shit town off the tour circuit for a lot of the mid-size acts and "college radio" bands, despite the large demographic that would support them, and the fact that those acts go to similarly-sized US cities.

Can't figure it out, other than the default explanation for most things: Ottawa is kinda lame.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2011, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umpaidh View Post
Yeah, there show when they played Ottawa a few years ago was great, were you there?
Was in Winnipeg.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2011, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badlands View Post
Uhuniau,

If you hate Ottawa so much why do you continue to live here?
Quote:

Economically trapped, for now.
Until the happy day that you are no longer economically trapped, could you maybe tone the anti-Ottawa rant. Sometimes I think that the rant has little to do with Skyscrapers and more to do with your frustration at being economically trapped.

Last edited by Badlands; Dec 30, 2011 at 1:01 AM.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2011, 12:45 AM

Quote:
But Ottawa is a shit town off the tour circuit for a lot of the mid-size acts and "college radio" bands, despite the large demographic that would support them, and the fact that those acts go to similarly-sized US cities.

Can't figure it out, other than the default explanation for most things: Ottawa is kinda lame.
What mid-size acts gave Ottawa a miss that play similar sized cities? Ottawa has traditionally been very lucky getting bands because the economics of a tour hitting Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto are pretty good, so I'd like to know what bands you think are passing up Ottawa.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2011, 3:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0nkyman View Post
What mid-size acts gave Ottawa a miss that play similar sized cities? Ottawa has traditionally been very lucky getting bands because the economics of a tour hitting Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto are pretty good, so I'd like to know what bands you think are passing up Ottawa.
The forementioned TWDY; Kings of Leon with the Walkmen opening skipped Ottawa last fall; Walkmen were here in 2007, not since (part of Calum Marsh's Capital Idea Fest, which brought a ton of great acts, and, so, naturally, flopped in Lame Musical Taste Town); Chris Garneau (also a CIF alumnus); Kristin Hersh; Grizzly Bear (were here in 2007; naturally their last Canadian dates were, you guessed it, Toronto and Montreal); Mazarin, when they existed, did, yup, Toronto and Montreal; etc., etc., etc., etc., etc.

It's perennial.

There's a few acts I'd go see at Boozefest, but outside that, there's absolutely zero mid-sized mid-venue touring scene in this town. Zilch. There's local bands, and there's semi-superannuated-past-their-prime middle-of-the-road Scotiabankplace fillers.

Or the Wiggles.

And that's about it.

Nothing in between.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2011, 6:45 AM

Quote:
The forementioned TWDY; Kings of Leon with the Walkmen opening skipped Ottawa last fall; Walkmen were here in 2007, not since (part of Calum Marsh's Capital Idea Fest, which brought a ton of great acts, and, so, naturally, flopped in Lame Musical Taste Town); Chris Garneau (also a CIF alumnus); Kristin Hersh; Grizzly Bear (were here in 2007; naturally their last Canadian dates were, you guessed it, Toronto and Montreal); Mazarin, when they existed, did, yup, Toronto and Montreal; etc., etc., etc., etc., etc.

It's perennial.

There's a few acts I'd go see at Boozefest, but outside that, there's absolutely zero mid-sized mid-venue touring scene in this town. Zilch. There's local bands, and there's semi-superannuated-past-their-prime middle-of-the-road Scotiabankplace fillers.

Or the Wiggles.

And that's about it.

Nothing in between.
Hey!... I've got a great idea for you. You should start a "Ottawa is a lame music town" thread where you could post all your lame and frustrated comments as well as your "financially trapped" laments. Imagine that.... your own thread just for you. yup

Old Posted Jan 2, 2012, 3:18 PM

Quote:

It's perennial.

Or the Wiggles.

And that's about it.

Nothing in between.
Over the past couple years some of the biggest acts have come to the sbp aslo some big acts have come to the festivals you may not like them and thats fine but the fact is Otatwa has hosted some big acts over the past couple years i am not saying its perfect its not but in no way is it all that bad.

Last edited by reidjr; Jan 2, 2012 at 3:35 PM.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2012, 6:18 AM

MADONNA is going to ottawa!

10-Sep Ottawa, ON Scotiabank Place On Sale Feb. 13

http://www.billboard.com/#/news/mado...06110152.story

Old Posted Feb 7, 2012, 3:44 PM
Awesome!

Is this the first time she's doing a gig in Ottawa? If not, it is the first in a very long time for sure.

Wondering what will be the reaction here. I know the halftime show wasn't that memorable - or will probably be more known as the "Fingergate". or the Finger Malfonction or whatever.

I will update the calendar later on today or sometime this week. I haven't update since a couple of months now.
"However, the Leafs have not won the Cup since 1967, giving them the longest-active Cup drought in the NHL, and thus are the only Original Six team that has not won the Cup since the 1967 NHL expansion." Favorite phrase on the Toronto Maple Leafs Wikipedia page.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2012, 5:47 PM

Not that I care about him, but Pitbull's tour is stopping at the CE Centre on March 27th. Flo Rida is opening. It's cool to see the void the CE Centre is filling in this city when it comes to concerts.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2012, 12:07 AM
Awesome!

Update: Van Halen is also coming to Scotiabank on March 21 and the Red Hot Chili Peppers on April 30 as well as Bryan Adams on May 4

Jackson's Immortal Show by the Cirque du Soleil is back for two more gigs in late July

February 7: Theory of a Deadman - Bronson Centre
February 8: Deep Purple - Civic Centre
February 8: Hanson - Bronson Centre
February 24: Simple Plan & Mariana's Trench - Scotiabank Place
March 21: Van Halen - Scotiabank Place
March 27: Pitbull and Flo Rida - CE Centre
April 1: Juno Awards - Scotiabank Place
April 14: Hedley, Karl Wolf & Classified - Scotiabank Place
April 30: Red Hot Chilli Peppers - Scotiabank Place
May 4: Bryan Adams - Scotiabank Place
May 5: Chris Deburgh - Scotiabank Place
May 12: Johnny Reid (don't know him much but it must be notable since it is at the Bank) - Scotiabank Place
May 20: Il Divo - Scotiabank Place (again not really the genre of music for most of us)
May 27: B.B. King - National Arts Centre
June 15: Lady Antebellum - Scotiabank Place
June 25: Rodger Waters - Scotiabank Place
July 24-25: Cirque du Soleil - "Michael Jackson: The Immortal"
August 11- Taylor Swift - Walter Baker Park (way out in Kanata)
August 12 - Brad Paisley and Terri Clark - Walter Baker Park (way out in Kanata)
September 10: Madonna - Scotiabank Place

Old Posted Apr 25, 2012, 4:19 AM
National Capital Region

Bluesfest Lineup is up http://ottawabluesfest.ca/ lots of electronic music

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 11:10 PM
Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
Bluesfest Lineup is up http://ottawabluesfest.ca/ lots of electronic music
Hey Snoop is back!

May 4: Bryan Adams - Scotiabank Place
May 5: Chris Deburgh - Scotiabank Place
May 12: Johnny Reid (don't know him much but it must be notable since it is at the Bank) - Scotiabank Place
May 20: Il Divo - Scotiabank Place (again not really the genre of music for most of us)
May 27: B.B. King - National Arts Centre
June 15: Lady Antebellum - Scotiabank Place
June 25: Rodger Waters - Scotiabank Place
July 4: Tiesto and Fishbone: Bluesfest
July 5: LMFAO - Bluesfest
July 6: City and Colour and Tommy Lee- Bluesfest
July 7: Iron Maiden and Alice Cooper - Bluesfest
July 8: Norah Jones, Seal and Down with Webster - Bluesfest
July 9: Nickelback and I Mother Earth - Bluesfest
July 10: Snoop Dogg and Lauryn Hill- Bluesfest
July 11: Big Wreck - Bluesfest
July 11-22 + 26-29: Wicked - National Arts Center
July 12: John Mellancamp and Sam Roberts - Bluesfest
July 13: Blue Rodeo and Our Lady Peace - Bluesfest
July 15: K'Naan, Metric and the Trews - Bluesfest
July 24-25: Cirque du Soleil - "Michael Jackson: The Immortal"
August 11- Taylor Swift - Walter Baker Park (way out in Kanata)
August 12 - Brad Paisley and Terri Clark - Walter Baker Park (way out in Kanata)
August 29: Roxette and Glass Tiger - Scotiabank Place
September 10: Madonna - Scotiabank Place

Old Posted May 3, 2012, 3:03 AM

That lineup is straight out of the 80s and early 90s!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation