HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 12:28 AM

Recommendation for dvd burning software

Hi everyone

I am looking for software to download online that burns dvds with video/audio downloaded from the internet. I know there are many programs out there however there is one (or possibly more than one now) that I used about 10 years ago. It was freeware back then and it basically stretched out the max time of the dvd beyond 2 hours. Most blank dvds have a 2 hour max written on the discs. However this program (i forget the name) extended that restriction to 3 and sometimes 4 hours. When i burned these dvds 10 years ago about 25% of the time they failed and I had to start over with a new disc however it was worthwhile in the end because I managed to fit more on each disc however the quality suffered on some of the content others were kept at original quality. So long story short my question is do you remember the name of this program or any similar? In case it's not longer a good idea to stretch dvd space and time would you like to recommend your favourite dvd burner (freeware)? Thank you

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 5:51 PM

DVD burning? Jeez let me hop in my time machine to go back and check.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 6:17 PM
loafing in lotusland

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
DVD burning? Jeez let me hop in my time machine to go back and check.
Too true. I find the best current DVD burning software is... Dropbox.

Seriously, though. You're probably used Nero to burn the discs. I assume you're on a PC... as Mac users typically shy away from free and will pay a bit of cash to get some decent quality.

If you're storing a lot of info... and you don't NEED the information to be in disc format, keep in mind that buying a hard-drive will actually be cheaper than blank DVDs.

An interesting look at backing up on different media:
http://www.muada.com/2013/10-14-arch...d-drives-.html

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 8:24 PM

my tv doesnt have a usb port so i have to use dvds to watch videos from the internet right. it has a hdmi port if tat helps

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandia911 View Post
my tv doesnt have a usb port so i have to use dvds to watch videos from the internet right. it has a hdmi port if tat helps

Is it a desktop or laptop? If you've got a laptop just hook it up to the TV via HDMI. And then on Boxing Day go and buy a new TV. Or buy a used xbox 360 or something else you can link wirelessly to your computer.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 8:51 PM
Can I has a tunnel?

Buy a chromecast and a usb charger?

Old Posted Sep 6, 2014, 3:53 AM

to be perfectly honest with you i need my laptop for myself when my mom watches movies on her TV as i don't like the TV myself or the movies she watches lol. Also i am trying not to buy a whole bunch of stuff instead want to make do with what I have if that makes sense

Old Posted Sep 7, 2014, 2:56 AM

Hey guys i do not have good news to report i downloaded a few programs, AVStoDVD, DVDflick, and ConvertXtoDVD (which wasn't freeware so i uninstalled it). The first two programs encoded and authored the dvd files (Video_ts, Audio_ts) but didn't continue to burn it to the disc. It left that up to me so I just burned the 2 folders as data using windows. Of course it plays on my laptop but since the point of all of this was to watch it on television my task has failed as neither disc is playable. It shows disc error on the TV. My question is this an issue of compatibility on my player or a software issue? I used all default settings and my dvd player plays other dvds I have burned in the past using programs I have long since forgotten the names of but these recent programs have produced discs that don't work.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2014, 6:08 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

This thread is pretty outside the scope of this forum, although this is the general section... threads should still be about the general concept of the site. I'm not going to close this one at this stage but just a reminder that future threads this far off-topic will be closed.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2014, 3:44 PM

I didn't realize general discussion is topic-specific?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion