HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Closed Thread

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper316 View Post
Good lord that aerial photo is depressing to look at will all that sprawl along 208. Would it kill them to at least leave some of the greenery for a a few sizable parks or greenways. Nothing left. Oh yeah and let's improve traffic flow by adding more ligths instead of roundabouts or something. Yawn.
Most of those neighbourhoods are quite compact, the opposite of sprawl, and within the urban growth boundary.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 7:45 PM

The Willoughby/Yorkson area along 208 street in actually becoming quite dense. Quite a number if mid-rise building and a lot of townhouse development. Even the single family homes are on relatively small lots. Currently 208 street is over capacity and will rmeain so until it is 4 laned from 72 ave north over Highway 1 into Walnut Grove. I believe the township is in the preliminary stages of twining the highway flyover. I live near this future interchange in Walnut Grove and cannot wait for its completion. There is a very vocal but small minority that is opposed to this project with every week/month coming up with a new objection as their previous objections have been proven to be unfounded. The people that I know that are very opposed to this have bought homes backing onto 216 street assuming that this project would never be completed. Now they are crying about their own lack of due diligence or hope that they could stop this. We refused to buy a home backing onto 216 about 6 years ago because all signs pointed to 216 becoming a 4 lane. You should search these project opponents argument's to see how ridiculous this has become.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 6:28 PM

Just announced: Province commits millions to Hwy 1 Expansion. Proposed to build 6 lanes from 216th to 264th with replacement of 232nd overpass and Glover Road overpass.

http://www.news1130.com/2017/03/28/p...y-1-expansion/

I would hope that all overpasses would allow for eight lanes going forward because we all know that six lanes will be plugged as soon as it's complete. With development going out to Abby and Chilliwack one would really hope they have some foresight here.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsparrow View Post
Just announced: Province commits millions to Hwy 1 Expansion. Proposed to build 6 lanes from 216th to 264th with replacement of 232nd overpass and Glover Road overpass.

http://www.news1130.com/2017/03/28/p...y-1-expansion/

I would hope that all overpasses would allow for eight lanes going forward because we all know that six lanes will be plugged as soon as it's complete. With development going out to Abby and Chilliwack one would really hope they have some foresight here.
Too bad it isn't 6 lanes + 2 HOV to support transit service. I also hope they add an extra lane EB between 232 and 264 as it's already three lanes there and already backed-up. I'm sure as soon as its open it'll be just as bad as it is today.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 8:38 PM

This is great news even if the timing is a reelection ploy by the Lib's. I do not commute but I do drive the 208 street flyover often and cringe at the eastbound traffic east of 208 as it is usually crawling by 3:00 PM and as early as 10:00 AM on a long weekend. Full agreement with the bridges having enough room to allow for future lane expansions.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 9:26 PM
Joshua B.

Happy to hear this project going forward, however this still doesn't address several choke points east of 264th. Hwy 1 should be 6 lanes out to Bridal falls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
Too bad it isn't 6 lanes + 2 HOV to support transit service. I also hope they add an extra lane EB between 232 and 264 as it's already three lanes there and already backed-up. I'm sure as soon as its open it'll be just as bad as it is today.
Remember Hwy 1 through Vancouver and Burnaby? It's as bad now as it was 10 years ago.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 9:33 PM
See ya down under, mates

I have to admit I'm jealous that this area gets significant expansion while the north shore hwy 1 "improvements" still have a four lane bottleneck for non-local traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicbomb View Post
Remember Hwy 1 through Vancouver and Burnaby? It's as bad now as it was 10 years ago.
Absolutely not. It's way better than it used to be. Also besides a sliver of the Cassiar area there isn't really any highway in Vancouver proper, unfortunately.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 10:57 PM

This will definitely help but it will once again push the choke point further out, now to 264 Street. I do hope that there is HOV all through this phase. Also as the Township of Langley is growing so much the new 232 street interchange had better be 4 lanes. Truckers will be happy to see the train bridge replaced. I am not sure that this will be completed in 2019. The 216 street interchange is to be completed in 2019 and that was announced 2 years ago.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 12:27 AM
YouTube Creator

[Deleted]

Last edited by Reecemartin; Nov 17, 2020 at 9:34 PM.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 1:46 AM

From the news release:

Quote:
Today, the British Columbia government has committed $113 million in its share of funding for Phase 2 of the Trans-Canada Six-Laning – Fraser Valley Project.

This will be a federal-provincial-municipal project to six-lane the highway from 216th Street to 264th Street.

The full project cost is estimated to be $235.5 million. The provincial government is seeking funding contributions from the Government of Canada and the Township of Langley. Design work is expected to start in the fall of 2017.

This project is building off of Phase 1 of the project, which is already underway. Crews are mobilizing, and soon will start work to six-lane the highway between 202nd Street and 216th Street. The long-term objective is to six-lane the Highway 1 corridor between 202nd Street and Whatcom Road (Highway 11) in Abbotsford.

Phase 2 of the project will include:
•eight kilometres of six-laning on Highway 1 between 216th Street and 264th Street;
•replacement of the 232nd Street interchange with a modern interchange;
•replacement of the Glover Road overpass with a modern structure;
•removal and construction of a new CP Rail crossing; and
•building a new commercial truck parking facility on Highway 17 under the Port Mann Bridge (Highway 17 North Surrey Truck Parking Facility).
https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2017TRAN0121-000866

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 2:24 AM

Good news for highway one.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 2:49 AM

Highway 1 will be widened from 4 to 6 lanes from presumably Whatcom Rd to Vedder Rd in about 15 years. The city of Chilliwack is looking to improve Lickman Rd interchange and was given the heads up from MoTI.

http://www.gov.chilliwack.bc.ca/main/page.cfm?id=2673

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 4:25 AM

264th should be included in this phase as that is really the major choke point going east or west

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 5:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langleysid View Post
This will definitely help but it will once again push the choke point further out, now to 264 Street. I do hope that there is HOV all through this phase. Also as the Township of Langley is growing so much the new 232 street interchange had better be 4 lanes. Truckers will be happy to see the train bridge replaced. I am not sure that this will be completed in 2019. The 216 street interchange is to be completed in 2019 and that was announced 2 years ago.
The railway overpass will be the easiest to replace. All they need to do is build a new single track bridge beside the old one and then just reroute the tracks. The old concrete structure needs to be torn down before the Hwy can be expanded to 6 lanes.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 5:27 AM

Doesn't sound like the extra lane will be an HOV lane. What a shame.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainguy View Post
The railway overpass will be the easiest to replace. All they need to do is build a new single track bridge beside the old one and then just reroute the tracks. The old concrete structure needs to be torn down before the Hwy can be expanded to 6 lanes.
Engineering-wise it's simple. Politically though, it'll be a real pain in the ass to do this because the railroad companies are essentially their own level of government and they hate change being dictated to them by other levels of government.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanSpice View Post
Engineering-wise it's simple. Politically though, it'll be a real pain in the ass to do this because the railroad companies are essentially their own level of government and they hate change being dictated to them by other levels of government.
Railway legislation has provisions for cases where municipalities need to get changes made. I wouldn't expect any serious impediments to a bridge replacement.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 7:46 PM
Joshua B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
Absolutely not. It's way better than it used to be. Also besides a sliver of the Cassiar area there isn't really any highway in Vancouver proper, unfortunately.
I was thinking circa 2005 (crap, it's actually been 12 years?!) when leaving Surrey @ 5:30-6am meant open sailing. Nowadays...it's already congested at that time. Part of that is due to the fact that capacity increased and brought in more commuters that would have otherwise taken Canada Way, Lougheed Hwy or Barnett/Hastings to Vancouver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reecemartin View Post
At this point Im amazed when projects of this scale don't make bigger considering for transit. Wouldn't mind seeing more routes into Carvolth.
You remember the PMB/Gateway Project? No provisions for transit stops until mass public outcry led to the MOT finally caving and throwing a bone. I don't usually make a case for LRT, but LRT down Highway 1 from Carovolth to Lougheed/Braid would have done wonders to strengthen ridership down the corridor. The 555 is already slated to see 5-6 min frequencies come September. How long until articulated or double-decker buses are put out?

No different here, this would have presented a major opportunity to include HOV/Transit only lanes, however as usual...no. Maybe the MOT knows that HOV lanes do not work here unless there's enforcement to curb cheats.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 1:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicbomb View Post
You remember the PMB/Gateway Project? No provisions for transit stops until mass public outcry led to the MOT finally caving and throwing a bone.
Not only that, but the Province's solution to finding the money to actually operate the buses was to impose "efficiency" audits on Translink which resulted in them having to cut service elsewhere in order to find the funds to run the 555.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 2:08 AM
YouTube Creator

[Deleted]

Last edited by Reecemartin; Nov 17, 2020 at 9:34 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure