HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion

Old Posted Apr 28, 2015, 3:14 AM

Vancouver zoning by land area

I'm looking to compile a list of Vancouver's zoning districts with data on how much land area is taken up by each. As an example, this document which has similar statistics for Seattle is more or less what I want.

Does anyone know whether this data is already available somewhere? If not, I'll try to compile something using this GIS data and report back.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by quobobo; Apr 28, 2015 at 3:24 AM. Reason: Found the GIS data

Old Posted Apr 28, 2015, 4:32 AM

This turned out to be a lot easier than expected. The City lumps each zoning district into fairly broad categories and it only took about 5 minutes to clean up the obviously missing metadata. Here's how much land area (as a percent of all zoned area in Vancouver) each one takes up:

59.4% One Family Dwelling
14.3% Comprehensive Development
6.2% Multiple Family Dwelling
6.1% Two Family Dwelling
3.9% Light Industrial
3.9% Commercial
3.3% Industrial
2.5% Limited Agricultural
0.3% Historic Area

Puts some perspective on the common beliefs that Vancouver is A) a leader when it comes to dense, environmentally friendly city-building, or B) an unregulated metropolis where developers can build anything they want.

Methodology: Imported the City's SHP data from here into Cartographica, cleaned up missing categories (the correct category was always clear from the zoning district name), then copied the data into a spreadsheet with a pivot table for the summary. Message me if you want the spreadsheet.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2015, 5:27 AM

One caveat: the City's definition of "One Family Dwelling" includes houses with secondary suites.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2015, 6:15 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Here's the map if that also helps:
http://vancouver.ca/files/cov/Zoning-Map-Vancouver.pdf

Old Posted Apr 29, 2015, 2:52 AM

Thanks quobobo. It would be interesting to see how this has changed over time - not sure if that data would be available though...

Old Posted May 29, 2015, 4:48 AM

Yellow is zoned for detached houses (no townhouses or apartment buildings allowed) and blue is everything else:

Some footnotes: The data comes from the City’s open data catalogue, everything in the "One Family Dwelling" and "Two Family Dwelling" categories is yellow. Stanley Park and False Creek aren’t errors - I asked a City staffer about it and they confirmed that parks and marinas are allowed in RS-1 zones (and I believe many other as well). There is no good way to identify parks in the City’s zoning data, I will have to do some work to sort those out later. Also, there are some “Comprehensive Development” areas that are effectively single-family homes in the blue but they are legally distinct (Shaughnessy is the big one).

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion