HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

The Brooklyn Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 8:52 PM

probably a funding issue, usually is; a lot of these projects rely on huge parts funding coming in later as they start to build and rent/sell spaces with people getting confident that it'll get built

Old Posted Dec 16, 2017, 3:00 AM
New Yorker for life

They are right where they are supposed to be, there is still no construction loan, but they were able to kick off construction. Work for the most part has been on the landmark itself, which like Steinway will add some time to the process. It's getting built. It will be completed. They're not on my timetable, so that's good enough. With so many things going up in the city, it doesn't bother me a bit.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2017, 3:42 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Just have to wait. This reminds me of a Steinway or 125 Greenwich moment where we thought it wasn't going to rise, and now its shooting up. There's a lot that has to be done. Several sources of financing besides a pre-development loan are in order (which as ascertained earlier in Q1 2017 I believe).

The gears in motion for a super tall of this caliber is actually quite speedy. Consider that the average super tall takes 10-15 years from conception to completion. This varies depending on the city and circumstances, but I'd say 9 Dekalb is moving along nicely. We haven't seen a bulk of the hard stage yet, but remember that everything before that... design, financing, marketing ... are all part of the life-cycle of a development.

We first heard about this back in 2014. But before the reveal, lots of work went into this. Propety agreements, buy-outs, design, ect. So suppose this finished in 2022, even than, that's 8 years later, plus the time pre-reveal that was part of the development lifespan. Like I said, 10-15 years on average. Example being Verre, it will exceed the 15 year mark.

I feel a lot of people think construction is all that goes into a supertall, but its a lot deeper then that.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2017, 5:47 PM
(the rascacielo freak)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
They are right where they are supposed to be, there is still no construction loan, but they were able to kick off construction. Work for the most part has been on the landmark itself, which like Steinway will add some time to the process. It's getting built. It will be completed. They're not on my timetable, so that's good enough. With so many things going up in the city, it doesn't bother me a bit.

Hey NYGuy... my memory is pretty bad, but I seem to recall the developer got a small preliminary loan to get things started. So my guess, is that they completed the demo/site clearing and assembled some of the caisson drill rigs on site and now they're lining up the rest???

Thoughts???

Old Posted Dec 21, 2017, 11:21 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransitEngr View Post
Hey NYGuy... my memory is pretty bad, but I seem to recall the developer got a small preliminary loan to get things started. So my guess, is that they completed the demo/site clearing and assembled some of the caisson drill rigs on site and now they're lining up the rest???

Thoughts???
Sounds about right.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2017, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransitEngr View Post

Thoughts???
I have been following JDS Development on Instagram to keep up with this building and Steinway. Soldier piles have gone in back in March, and Caissons this past June.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BRKFSd6A...velopmentgroup
https://www.instagram.com/p/BVH6Onyg...velopmentgroup

Old Posted Jan 14, 2018, 1:57 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Jan 28, 2018, 10:23 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

I’d like to see a rendering utilizing this shot. If anyone with rendering ability could add 9 Dekalb. A nice view not often seen. Might I note the size of DoBro.

Maybe at the top or bottom of the black bars, in cursive, "9 Dekab" elegantly written.

Credit: NYC Sunrise: Dumbo | 4K

Old Posted Jan 28, 2018, 11:33 PM

Hey NYguy, Looks like someone stole the design for the Jin Mao tower 70 years before the Jin Mao tower was designed...

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 6:42 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramsjdg View Post
Hey NYguy, Looks like someone stole the design for the Jin Mao tower 70 years before the Jin Mao tower was designed...
I always liked the Jin Mao too.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 3:00 PM

This building MUST be completed. It literally has everything!
-height
-density (over 500 units and not just for the super wealthy)
-great design
-small footprint
-does not ruin any historical architecture and in fact enhances the beautiful old building
it is attached to.

I do not like having to wait for it to rise. Why does it seem the very best ones take the longest (like Tower Verre.)

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 3:24 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddguy View Post
This building MUST be completed. It literally has everything!
-height
-density (over 500 units and not just for the super wealthy)
-great design
-small footprint
-does not ruin any historical architecture and in fact enhances the beautiful old building
it is attached to.

I do not like having to wait for it to rise. Why does it seem the very best ones take the longest (like Tower Verre.)

It'll rise. That financing plays a key part in the speed though. But once this begins to tower above everything else in Brooklyn, it'll be BK's newest icon.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 2:06 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

This tower, compared to its other super tall peers, will be a bargain (market rate units). Pricing wise, we should expect much lower prices than Verre or CPT given the sheer amount of units and the price tag of the project (cheaper versus Manhattan super talls). It's still going to be expensive, but in hindsight, it will appear to be a bargain.

AND... there's an affordable housing component.

Now, the folks that get those units via the housing lottery, will be some lucky SOB's.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2018, 4:17 AM
Illustrator

Feb 18th

Old Posted Feb 19, 2018, 5:43 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

^ well the lot is definately ready, but its looked like that for quite awhile. soon to start more in ernest i hope!

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 7:37 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 5:12 PM
Metal Up Your !

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
This nearly gave me a heart attack.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 5:45 PM

Naked 9 DeKalb? JDS is such a tease.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 1:09 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Nevermind. Woops.

Last edited by chris08876; Feb 21, 2018 at 2:40 PM.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 5:30 AM

that's for 45 Broad, Chris

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture