HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

The Brooklyn Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 11:22 AM

^ Wouldn't the CITC tower in Philly technically be taller?

Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 11:24 PM
aka Studdedleather

Oh yes you're absolutely right. Forgot about that tower.

9 DeKalb still looks better at least lol.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2016, 1:05 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Credit: JC_Heights

Old Posted Jul 15, 2016, 4:17 AM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2016, 3:53 AM
New Yorker for life

http://archpaper.com/2016/07/shop-br...dekalb-avenue/

SHoP makes the Brooklyn skyline with a “brooding, elegant, and badass” supertall… There goes the neighborhood?

By AUDREY WACHS
July 6, 2016

Quote:
If you zone it, they will build, and they will build tall. New York–based SHoP, in partnership with JDS Development Group, revealed plans earlier this year to build 9 Dekalb Avenue, a 73-story, 1,066-foot-tall residential tower fused to the landmarked Dime Savings Bank in Downtown Brooklyn. Last month, the design cleared a crucial hurdle when the Landmarks Preservation Commission (LPC) approved the tower’s design and consequent modifications to the bank.

“There’s a sort of brooding Gotham to it,” noted Gregg Pasquarelli, founding principal of SHoP. “There’s a little bit of badass to it, but it’s quite elegant at the same time. Isn’t that what we all want to be as New Yorkers?” The 417-unit building is clad in bronze, stainless steel, and stone, with view-maximizing interlocking hexagonal exposures. Pasquarelli explained that the facade detailing is such so that when two sides of the hexagon are viewed from an oblique angle, it will resemble one face, a sleeker reference to the grand old New York skyscrapers like Rockefeller Center and the Chrysler Building.

Michael Stern, founder of JDS Development Group, proclaimed: “The tower will be Brooklyn’s next icon. Brooklyn was really missing that one iconic statement that was worthy of the borough. This building will really put Brooklyn on the map.”

Drawing from the landmark on-site, the spacing of the tower’s vertical facade elements mirrors the spacing of the bank’s neoclassical columns. The color and materials palette picks up on the bank’s colorful stone interiors, which will be converted to retail, while parts of the bank’s roof will be used for the building’s private outdoor spaces.

“The downtown rezoning of Brooklyn in 2004 has been very successful. This is a place where the city could handle density. It’s an incredible kudos to the city they upzoned that area, that they thought about tall towers,” said Pasquarelli. At the prow of Flatbush and Dekalb, the building will be visible from all over Brooklyn, and its distinctive facade will reinforce its prominent position on the skyline.

He and Stern enjoy experimenting with exteriors. Referencing the terra-cotta facade on 111 West 57th Street and the cladding on the East River–facing American Copper Buildings, Pasquarelli intimated that developers and architects are obligated to build for the public realm. “Some people get to live in these buildings, but we all have to live with the exterior.”

While preservationists sometimes bristle at the modification of an individual landmark, Gina Pollara, executive director of the preservation advocacy organization Municipal Arts Society (MAS), thinks there’s a larger issue that’s expressed in the development of tall towers like 9 Dekalb. “For us, it’s not really about the towers itself. Most of these supertalls are going up as-of-right. Because they’re not asking for any variance or any change, there’s no opportunity for public comment.” This tower was unusual, she elaborated, because it involved a landmarked structure. “These buildings are so out of context or out of scale with the neighborhood, and there’s no space for public comment until developers release their renderings. There’s no discussion of the cumulative effects these towers are having on public space.”

In an interview with AN, Stern said that he could not react to critiques like MAS’s (which he had not heard about), “but I can tell you that the commissioners had comments ranging from, ‘the best of urbanism’ and ‘flawless,’ and the LPC approved the project unanimously, as did the community board. It’s something we’re quite proud of.”

Pollara would like to see a better conversation around the 100-year-old zoning code, and reform beyond Mandatory Inclusionary Housing and Zoning for Quality and Affordability, the recently codified zoning text amendments. “It’s time to make zoning much more transparent—not just to the layperson, but to elected official,” Pollara said. “We need to get in front of the issue rather than being at the mercy of what is being built around us. Preservation in the 21st century is not necessarily rallying around a specific building, but looking at open space, light, air—all of the elements we want to preserve. We don’t want to live in a city that’s created by default.”

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2016, 12:53 PM

The Municipal Arts Society is just a NIMBY organization. Their ulterior motive is to prevent large buildings and reduce density not preservation, although they will claim that if it suits them.

Pollara's comments is a joke. There's already too much input from the public nowadays. It's why we are in the mess that we are in, where draconian zoning results in stratospheric housing prices and yet we are still gettng horrifying architecture throughout the boroughs. Your average person showing up to a community meeting do not know anything about city planning and they should not have any kind of input into zoning although too often they do.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2016, 1:02 AM
Mr. Technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
^ Wouldn't the CITC tower in Philly technically be taller?
Say this again?

I wouldn't compare Brooklyn to Philadelphia.
Both have completely different demographics and besides, one of these towns has way more subways.
Back on topic...

Old Posted Jul 17, 2016, 1:24 AM

You have reading comprehension problems? Where was I comparing Philly and Brooklyn? I was correcting a statement by somebody about the tallest building outside Manhattan on the East coast. Your post is completely pointless. I'm not sure why I even wasted 30 seconds just to reply.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2016, 9:45 PM

"brooding Gotham" . . - 2nd July 15th NYguy post above . .
"brooding Gotham" are 2 words I wanna hear describing the style . .
of nearly every new structure built in this town . .

and get a load of them crown "horns" . .
seen in 1st four building-silhouette diagrams . .
(found in 1st July 15th NYguy post above . . ) . .
reminds me of 3WTC corner spires that were lopped off . .
I know that 9 DeKalb will have more, thinner, shorter spikes . .
than 3WTC (previous to maiming) , . . and not just at 4 corners . .

Just surmising from the pictures, . . but I assume,
from seeing these diagrams and the blurry renderings . .
that the multiple DeKalb spikes will be all along the rim of the crown . .
perhaps some inside the periphery as well ? . .
not sure I've seen a close-up rendering of DeKalb's crown yet . .

Old Posted Jul 17, 2016, 10:01 PM

whoops, . . regarding the"horns" . . I just now just read "bulkhead" sideways . .
I guess that's the same as "parapet wall" . . so the diagram is showing a cross section . .
and so therefore the "parapet wall" wraps the roof solidly . .
my bad . . I'm just always seeing distinctive definition . . instead of squared flattops . .
lets hope perfect DeKalb doesn't get the 3WTC treatment . .

Old Posted Jul 18, 2016, 1:52 AM
Mr. Technology

This is the real deal.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2016, 1:50 PM
BANNED

No action here since July. I almost forgot this proposal was a thing. What's going on, guys? NyGuy?

Old Posted Nov 30, 2016, 2:26 PM
Mr. Technology

The delay is likely caused by the fact that this development has to go through the city’s Landmarks Preservation Commission because it incorporates a NYC landmark.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2016, 2:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechTalkGuy View Post
The delay is likely caused by the fact that this development has to go through the city’s Landmarks Preservation Commission because it incorporates a NYC landmark.
This was already approved by Landmarks. I'll be in Brooklyn Friday after work and can swing by the site.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2016, 5:37 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
No action here since July. I almost forgot this proposal was a thing. What's going on, guys? NyGuy?
There is no delay. It goes through the same process as every other development. They've been given the green light to make modifications to the existing bank building. What I would be looking for now is financing.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2016, 9:54 PM
Show me the blueprints

Maybe they're giving Junior's another opportunity to sell and incorporate into a larger base. This is what I'm hoping for. Junior's is making a big mistake literally cementing and marrying their future to that dumpy little two story building (with air rights gone forever).

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Dec 1, 2016, 9:38 AM

I LOVE little buildings
in the vicinity of
big majestic ones . .
it makes for cozy,
yet awesomely impressive
neighborhoods . .

Old Posted Dec 1, 2016, 2:37 PM

This, the Steinway Tower, and 53W53 are probably the 3 most beautiful buildings under construction/proposed in the U.S. right now.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2016, 6:27 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg View Post
This, the Steinway Tower, and 53W53 are probably the 3 most beautiful buildings under construction/proposed in the U.S. right now.
I think when we get a good look at it, 45 Broad will probably join that discussion as well. But I really want to see what shop has in store for 360 10th (Hudson Yards) and 80 South St.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2016, 1:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
I think when we get a good look at it, 45 Broad will probably join that discussion as well. But I really want to see what shop has in store for 360 10th (Hudson Yards) and 80 South St.
On 360 10th (Hudson Yards) we haven't seen anything. This project still exist?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture