Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

The Brooklyn Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Aug 26, 2017, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerDude View Post
This would be an ideal location for an observation deck. They'd rake in the money with that view of the entire Manhattan Skyline.
That's for sure, but it will no happen unfortunately

Old Posted Aug 26, 2017, 9:03 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Plus draw even more tourists to the area. A deck showing an uncommon perspective or angle of the city not usually seen by most bar the residents in DoBro is always good. If they build one in Harlem, 1000 ft, people would flock like a herd over there.

Kinda why pigeons have it good. They don't have to worry about NYC's lack of public restrooms, and they get aerial footage daily. The ones that can fly, and don't loiter around Penn Station's sidewalk pecking at a used Camel cigarette.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2017, 12:01 AM
Show me the blueprints

I'll say it again: I still cannot believe Junior's held out on the corner. So ridiculous. The tower could have broadened out at the base which would have looked great and they could have signed a long term lease agreement in a gorgeous building that isn't a dump. Now we're stuck with it because of the air rights agreement I assume. Shortsighted and stupid.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Aug 27, 2017, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
I'll say it again: I still cannot believe Junior's held out on the corner. So ridiculous. The tower could have broadened out at the base which would have looked great and they could have signed a long term lease agreement in a gorgeous building that isn't a dump. Now we're stuck with it because of the air rights agreement I assume. Shortsighted and stupid.
Juniors never sold its air rights. They still have the opportunity to redevelop their corner.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2017, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerDude View Post
This would be an ideal location for an observation deck. They'd rake in the money with that view of the entire Manhattan Skyline.
There are currently three NYC observation decks, and soon to be five. I mean, isn't five plenty? I don't think there's a bottomless market for observation decks. There will probably be one or two more announced in the coming years, so I think NYC will be set.

Also, there is no NYC residential building with an observation deck. This is a residential building.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2017, 4:37 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

^^^

Don't forget the Statue of Liberty!

Old Posted Aug 27, 2017, 5:45 PM

Also the New York Wheel

Old Posted Aug 27, 2017, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
There are currently three NYC observation decks, and soon to be five. I mean, isn't five plenty? I don't think there's a bottomless market for observation decks. There will probably be one or two more announced in the coming years, so I think NYC will be set.

Also, there is no NYC residential building with an observation deck. This is a residential building.
But sometimes the best views of Manhattan are from OUTSIDE of Manhattan since you can see ALL of Manhattan. The same way people say The Rock is superior to the Empire State because you can actually see the Empire from the Rock. This spot would be much closer, and also much higher up than the Statue of Liberty or Staten Island wheel. I think it's a good thing that this building doesn't, because it's going to be private residences and nobody would want the public going into their building like that. But I get why people want it. I think the ideal place for an outer borough supertall observation deck would be Greenpoint or Long Island City.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2017, 8:07 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

99 Hudson in JC would of been a good candidate for a deck. And open one too. Would be neat, on the roof.

Credit:CTBUH

Old Posted Aug 27, 2017, 8:09 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Can see the site, and Junior's.

Also for Comparison, the rendering a few posts above.

Credit: Rbrome

Old Posted Aug 27, 2017, 11:51 PM

If 9 DeKalb had a dedicated Observation Deck Lobby and elevator it would be no problem ... heck, the Observation Deck alone could pay the rent of everyone below them ...

Old Posted Aug 28, 2017, 3:24 PM
New Yorker for life

Great comparison shot above.

As far as an observation deck here, the logistics wouldn't work so well. With that many residential units in this tower, there is hardly room for a dedicated elevator for an observation deck.

Still, I think Brooklyn could use its own, and it doesn't have to be a 1,000 ft deck. There's more to New York than just Manhattan, though by default you would get great views of that skyline as well as more of the inner city. People like views, there's that building in Queens the just went up with an observation deck for residents only, and another residents only deck going on top of the 1,000 ft 262 5th Ave. But a public deck in Brooklyn doesn't have to be much more than 600 ft to get a good view, 800 ft and above an excellent view. I like the Top of the Rock deck because it feels like you can reach out and touch the buildings around you.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2017, 2:14 AM
New Yorker for life

https://thebridgebk.com/champion-dow...-all-together/

Downtown Brooklyn’s Champion Aims to Take It Up a Notch
How Regina Myer, president of the neighborhood's business partnership, plans to keep its remarkable growth on track

Regina Myer, president of the Downtown Brooklyn Partnership, photographed on the roof of The Gotham, on Ashland Place

By THE EDITORS
August 31, 2017

Quote:
3. What’s your position on big projects like 80 Flatbush Ave.?

I think the brilliance of that proposal is that the Alloy team realized the potential of that site. It’s a large site and it already has a school on the site, a 19th century school building, which is so charming. Alloy put together a proposal that really builds on those strengths, adding space for a second school, and respecting the historic nature the beautiful building on the corner. They also had the foresight to integrate Class A office space into the project, which, in addition to the other infrastructure the project will provide, will really meet a critical need downtown.

What I’d like to promote is that all these large sites should be developed to their potential in terms of mixed use. City Point leads in that way. The development team there also had a large site, a failing mall site. They understood the shopping potential, given its prominent location, but added residential and a modicum of office to that because they understood that this format makes sense.

4. Work has started on Brooklyn’s first supertall. What’s your take?

Well, for one, it’s a tremendously handsome building as designed right now. It’s wonderful to see that caliber of architecture, and to envisage it on Flatbush Avenue, obviously so careful in respecting the exterior and interior landmark of the Dime Savings Bank, the bedrock of Fulton Street. I think that the magic of that tower, though, is that it will be Brooklyn’s tallest. It really could be this phenomenal beacon on Flatbush Avenue. I’m a huge supporter of that project. I think we all feel that it will bring a lot of energy.

5. How hot is the business rivalry of Brooklyn vs. Manhattan?

I’ve lived in Brooklyn since 1991, so I personally think Brooklyn is a better place. [Laughs] But I don’t see this as a rivalry. I think the incredible strength of New York City is that we have great places and we have a lot of them, right? Even 20 years ago, we didn’t have Downtown Brooklyn the way we have it, but also we didn’t have a Flatiron District that was so active.

That’s the magic of New York City: this incredible evolution. But I do think Brooklyn is leading the nation in this idea of rebirth and this idea that coming back to the city can be an incredible, exciting thing to do. To continue to propel that is something that motivates all of us here at the partnership.

6. Not many big Manhattan firms have arrived here yet. Why not?

How could they move here if we don’t have the Class A space available for them? For a few years now we’ve been at a record low commercial-vacancy rate for the area. Right now we’re at around 3%. A main reason for that is the area is really lacking in Class A space. So we’re thrilled to see investment in projects like what Tishman Speyer is doing with the Macy’s space, and the ground-up office projects by the Rabsky Group and JEMB Realty. But even with that lack of space currently online, we’ve had some incredible talent coming to Brooklyn. West Elm, Etsy, Huge, now Gimlet Media, have all made Brooklyn home. I think that’s a pretty impressive roster. And when United Technologies feels the need to be near them, that’s interesting.

Obviously there’s a multitude of tenants who are relocating in Manhattan and we can’t compete for them all, but what we have that’s distinctly different is this subset of companies that really appreciate being in Dumbo and other parts of the Tech Triangle. And they are coming here because they love the culture of Brooklyn. They want to be near their employees or they want their employees to work close to home, or they want to make a statement that they are distinctly different. And that’s the magic to me of West Elm, that they have embodied this idea of Brooklyn in their national branding identity.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 10:26 PM
Metal Up Your !

I really like her interview. She seems like the proper person in her position, in regards to her supports with large projects.

Side note, all those new skyscrapers in Brooklyn are awful. They're so bland and uninspired. Thankfully this modern masterpiece will bring some visual magic back.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 11:54 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Can we get Regina Myer to replace Gale Brewer? What the city needs are pro-development proponents in city hall.

It's one thing to have an excellent business climate, and its a big plus to have officials who further that momentum.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2017, 3:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotizzy View Post
I really like her interview. She seems like the proper person in her position, in regards to her supports with large projects.

Side note, all those new skyscrapers in Brooklyn are awful. They're so bland and uninspired. Thankfully this modern masterpiece will bring some visual magic back.
Where Brooklyn really shines is beautiful street-level architecture. I do agree that this building is far superior to the other skyscrapers and it will definitely change the borough forever. And I have a feeling this is only the beginning.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2017, 1:29 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Credit: 5Bfilms

Old Posted Sep 11, 2017, 5:37 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotizzy View Post

interesting, I think they're mostly awful but for the opposite reason: too weird, too much multicolored glass and random patterns, too much variety, too post-post modern, too colorful. Some uniformity/blandness would be welcome.

eg the brooklyner is not bland, it's just horrible architecture. Bland would have been a glass box. same for weird red and silver stacked boxes next to the (architecturally completely incongruous) barclays center.

the new buildings near BAM and closer to Fort Greene park are better IMO.

example of too snazzy, too colorful, too random building from downtown manhattan:

imagine being the architect of this post-postmodern rectangle jazzed up with yellow panels, slotted down in the middle of 20 art deco classics. the shame...

Old Posted Sep 15, 2017, 6:18 PM
Metal Up Your !

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_denizen View Post
interesting, I think they're mostly awful but for the opposite reason: too weird, too much multicolored glass and random patterns, too much variety, too post-post modern, too colorful. Some uniformity/blandness would be welcome.

eg the brooklyner is not bland, it's just horrible architecture. Bland would have been a glass box. same for weird red and silver stacked boxes next to the (architecturally completely incongruous) barclays center.

the new buildings near BAM and closer to Fort Greene park are better IMO.

example of too snazzy, too colorful, too random building from downtown manhattan:

imagine being the architect of this post-postmodern rectangle jazzed up with yellow panels, slotted down in the middle of 20 art deco classics. the shame...
Yeah, I hear you. I still think those mismatches in designs are bland. Seems like architects tried too hard to be different, while maintaining strict adherence to a budget. Which rarely equates to quality.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2017, 8:13 PM
Ω

Lipstick on a pig. Yellow lipstick.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture