HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation

Old Posted Aug 7, 2008, 8:38 PM

Thumbs down Aquilini trying to steal Kerfoot's MLS dream with Swangard Stadium bid?

Don't rule out Swangard
Burnaby mayor says redevelopment still an option

Jim Jamieson, The Province
Published: Thursday, August 07, 2008

There has been some scoffing at the notion that a redeveloped Swangard Stadium in Burnaby could be part of a Major League Soccer franchise bid to rival the one announced about two weeks ago by the Vancouver Whitecaps.

Don't count Burnaby mayor Derek Corrigan as one of the naysayers.

"It's a pretty exciting idea," said Corrigan in an interview with The Province. "The attention went off Swangard completely when the decision was made to go downtown with the [waterfront] soccer stadium proposal and no one looked at Burnaby any longer. I think because that's been stalled, that's why people are starting to talk again about whether it could be done at Swangard."

It's believed that Vancouver Canucks owner Francesco Aquilini is seriously considering his own MLS franchise bid and is reportedly looking at Swangard Stadium as a potential venue. Aquilini has declined comment since his interest was first reported about two weeks ago.

Swangard would need to become something akin to the 20,000-seat BMO Field that houses Toronto FC to be attractive to MLS.

Corrigan wouldn't say if he's been approached by anyone proposing to redevelop Swangard, which currently has a capacity of 5,288.

"It's a subject that's been on and off the table for many years, so it's certainly something we would consider if there were any concrete proposals that came forward," said Corrigan. "But it's way too early to say if there is anything there. I'm inclined to look at it as an opportunity for us to be able to expand the stadium. [But] I would never say it could go ahead without consulting with council and with the community."

Corrigan added that a redeveloped Swangard would still have to be capable of holding amateur sporting events, as it does currently.

The Whitecaps' MLS expansion franchise bid is based on their playing in a renovated B.C. Place Stadium with a retractable roof that is scheduled to be ready for the 2011 season. They are close to signing a five-year contract to play there, with the hope that their much-delayed, soccer-specific waterfront stadium will be a reality following that time frame. However, the MLS has said it puts a high value on teams having a soccer-specific stadium -- which is what a revamped Swangard would be.

"We're close to signing a lease with B.C. Place and the waterfront stadium is still a priority for us," said Whitecaps president Bob Lenarduzzi. "Having said that, based on what [Corrigan] said, it's nice to know there's another option out there."

The idea of redeveloping Swangard Stadium has been debated numerous times over the years, but issues such as its location on public land, a dearth of parking and the impact such a large venue would have on nearby residential neighbourhoods are considered to be significant hurdles.

"Of course, we'd want to consult with our community about a project of that magnitude, so we'd need something concrete to talk to them about," said Corrigan. "We know what the MLS is looking for and I know that Swangard could fit the bill. There are a number of issues -- parking is probably the biggest one -- and we'd certainly encourage most people coming to the Stadium to take public transit. We've got the advantage of Patterson SkyTrain station being very close, but it would be nice to see a station at the Telus building to give us direct access.

"There would be some obstacles but we've shown we can overcome obstacles before."

jjamieson@theprovince.com

I find it absurd that Aquilini is trying to steal this MLS franchise from Kerfoot, Leonarduzzi and Nash. Kerfoot has been working on the MLS and stadium proposals for years and years and now, Aquilini is trying to jump in simply because it's a profitable business?

What a douchebag.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2008, 10:47 PM

This is one of the few times that I'd throw my support behind NIMBYs in Burnaby. Swangard's location and lack of parking are the main reasons why I don't attend as many Whitecaps games as I would like.

On the upside, maybe this will put pressure on the City of Vancouver to help the Whitecaps broker a deal with the Port of Vancouver.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2008, 3:25 AM

Burnaby NewsLeader, Page 3, 08-Aug-2008

Swangard expansion possible

By Grant Granger

Burnaby is keeping its options open on Swangard Stadium but any private proposal must be acceptable to the community, said the city's director of parks.

Recent media reports say Vancouver Canucks owner Francesco Aquilini is interested in expanding Swangard to 20,000 seats—nearly four times its present capacity—to house a Major League Soccer (MLS) franchise.

The city, however, has not received a concrete proposal, said Dave Ellenwood, director of parks for Burnaby, although he did not deny that informal approaches had been made.

"We haven't really looked at anything creative for Swangard for many years," said Ellenwood. "We haven't really even seen a proposal or even made one to the community yet in terms of expansion to the degree that it would take for MLS. "

Swangard's main tenant these days is the Vancouver Whitecaps of the United Soccer League, owned by Burnaby native Greg Kerfoot. The club has recently announced intentions to pursue a MLS expansion franchise and to play out of BC Place once it gets a retractable roof, until the team can build its own soccer-specific stadium on the Vancouver waterfront.

Ellenwood said the city is willing to discuss expanding Swangard with the Whitecaps if the team can't get the go-ahead on its own stadium.

That process has stalled, which may be prompting renewed interest in the Burnaby facility.

But any private proposal must have elements that can be sold to residents.

The biggest issue is parking and traffic, which have been a challenge for several years in the current configuration of the Central Park statdium. During last year's FIFA under-20 World Cup when Swangard was expanded to seat 10,000, spectators had to be shuttled from parking lots at BCIT to the stadium. (my edit: this is about 4km away!)

It's likely, admitted Ellenwood, any loss of green space in Central Park would cause considerable controversy.

"If that day ever comes where we do get a proposal, or we develop one ourselves, those are challenges and they'll have to be dealt with [with community consultation]," Ellenwood said.

The MLS prefers its teams play in "soccer-specific" stadiums. Swangard, constructed for the 1973 Canada Summer Games, has been a multi-use facility for events such as track and field championships, SFU football, concerts and charity fundraisers such as the annual 24 Hour Relay every June. So anyone from the private sector making a proposal would have to define what "soccer-specific" would mean for Swangard.

"If it was exclusive use, I don't think that would be reasonable," Ellenwood said. "We still want it to meet the criteria, but still have room to accommodate other community uses because that's what the stadium was built for."

"Those are great events and they're signature Burnaby events. If possible, we'd like to hold on to them because those are the things that build traditions and are exciting for many people, not just Burnaby residents."

Whether or not Aquilini, the Whitecaps or any other private proposal is made, the city wants to make improvements to Swangard.

Possible changes include developing the south end for an assembly plaza because during larger events the concourse area often isn't big enough, said Ellenwood. The city is also looking at installing a throwing area for field events on the east side so the natural turf field wouldn't get beat up.

Improved parking along Boundary that wouldn't eat up the good part of the park is being contemplated as well.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2008, 6:38 AM
BANNED

like i mentioned in the BC Place thread... there is a lot more the public doesnt know nor am i willing to disclose... but this is old news...

Old Posted Aug 12, 2008, 5:50 AM

No way that this will go through...BUT there was a skytrain station planed next to the Telus tower that was never built, as far as I know one can still be built which would put it right next to the stadium.
Anyways I just dont see this being a option and this is probably nothing more then Aquilini just checking if its possible(it doesnt really cost him anything), after all he wouldent be doing his job if he wasnt investigating possible business opportunities.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2008, 3:10 PM
BANNED

Aquilini shows his true colours. No question now that he stole the Canucks in some underhanded deal. Now he plans to steal the Whitecaps too.
What a SLIMEBAG.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2008, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairbanks View Post
Aquilini shows his true colours. No question now that he stole the Canucks in some underhanded deal. Now he plans to steal the Whitecaps too.
What a SLIMEBAG.
what exactly happened with that?

Old Posted Aug 16, 2008, 8:45 PM

The Ian mulgrew in the Vancouver sun had a good article about the inside aspects of the sale of the canucks. A good read, but it does portray the Beadie/Gaglardi group as the problem characters, and aquellini as a reasonable guy that had the timing right...

I would be very surprised if the aquellini/ swangard proposal gets announced. Unless BBy is willing to give up significant control of swanguard and willing to push thru changes to the park and the neighbourhood, this will go nowhere.

I hope Corrigan doesn't push for a new station by telus. it would slow travel time for adding a stop that seems well served already. aside from telus, and whatever is at swanguard, there would be little to serve/little to develop in the area (ie, compare joyce/patterson with increasing denisty and influencing zoning).

Last edited by mezzanine; Aug 16, 2008 at 10:12 PM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation