HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation

Old Posted May 6, 2009, 5:01 AM

Canada's 7th NHL Team? (Again)

Considering Phoenix's current situation, this is actually more likely than you might think:

Quote:
Balsillie offers to buy bankrupt Coyotes, move team to Canada

By Dave Gross and Don McGowan, Canwest News Service

Canadian businessman Jim Balsillie is back in the hunt for a National Hockey League franchise.

Balsillie, the BlackBerry billionaire, tabled an offer on Tuesday to purchase the Phoenix Coyotes, following the team’s bankruptcy filing.

The hitch in the offer is that it is conditional on relocating the team to southern Ontario. The offer to purchase the club is pegged at $212.5 million US.

“This is the deal that I am focused on,” Balsillie said Tuesday night at a brief news conference in Toronto. “This is the opportunity that’s come up out of the bankruptcy financing. I am prepared the financially back it. I think this is very good for the game, very good for the league, very good for the fans.”

Balsillie has also agreed to help the Coyotes by supplying $17 million US to keep the team afloat prior to the proposed sale.

The Coyotes filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection on Tuesday in Arizona. Balsillie’s offer to purchase the team was included in the court filing.

The NHL was quick to react to the news — deputy commissioner Bill Daly issued a statement on Tuesday night outlining the removal of Coyotes’ chief executive officer Jerry Moyes from authority to act as a representative for the Coyotes in league business.

“We have just become aware of today’s bankruptcy court filing purportedly made on behalf of the Phoenix Coyotes. We are investigating the circumstances surrounding the petition, including the propriety of its filing. We have removed Jerry Moyes from all positions of authority to act for or on behalf of the club. The league will appear and proceed before the bankruptcy court in the best interests of all of the club’s constituencies, including its fans in Arizona and the league’s 29 other member clubs.”

Moyes earlier told the Arizona Republic: “Extensive efforts have been undertaken to sell the team, or attract additional investors, who would keep the team in Glendale.”

Moyes bought the team in 2001 for $127 million US. Forbes Magazine estimates the Coyotes worth to be $142 million — last among the 30 teams in the league.

“This is a very serious and committed offer by me and it’s funded and financed and fully backed,” said Balsillie.

Hamilton, Burlington and the Kitchener-Waterloo region have been rumoured potential destination spots if Balsillie is successful in his bid.

A week ago, NHL Players’ Association executive director Paul Kelly issued a statement saying he believes the issue of a second franchise for Ontario (Ottawa isn't part of Ontario?) is worth further study.

“The viability of a second team in Toronto or southern Ontario should be explored, so, in the event that relocation needs to be considered for franchises that are struggling where they are currently located, a well-informed decision can be made,” Kelly said.

Balsillie, the co-chief executive officer of Research In Motion, which makes the wireless BlackBerry device, has been stubborn in his pursuit of landing an NHL team. He has made attempts to acquire an NHL franchise twice before.

In 2006, he made a $185-million US offer to buy the Pittsburgh Penguins, but the deal was rejected after the Penguins secured funding for a new arena.

Balsillie, who made a $10-million down payment on the Penguins, had stated that he intended to keep the team in Pittsburgh had he landed the franchise, but wouldn’t rule out moving the franchise to a Canadian city.

Balsillie withdrew his offer in December 2006 after reportedly being told by NHL commissioner Gary Bettman that the league would limit how much control Balsillie had over the team.

The down payment was later repaid to Balsillie.

In May 2007, Balsillie announced that he had struck tentative agreement to buy the Nashville Predators, with intentions of moving the team to southern Ontario, likely to Hamilton. The next month, Balsillie began accepting season-ticket deposits for the Hamilton Predators. The move apparently angered the NHL’s board of governors. Reports later in the month indicated that Predators owner Craig Leipold, scared off by Balsillie’s comments about relocating the team, had asked the NHL not to consider an offer from Balsillie unless a “binding agreement” was reached regarding the team’s future in Nashville.

TSN reported on Friday, June 22, 2007, that Leipold had instructed the NHL not to consider Balsillie’s application to purchase the team. That November, a group of Nashville businessmen reached an agreement to buy the team, and the deal was approved by the NHL later that month.

Balsillie has set up a website, www.makeitseven.ca, and is encouraging people to sign up to support the relocation of the Coyotes. The name of the site refers to the number of Canadian teams in the NHL — if the Coyotes moved to Ontario they would become the seventh.

Balsillie spokesman Bill Walker told blogto.com on Tuesday that more than 2,000 fans signed up for the site within 100 minutes of it going live.
© Copyright (c) Canwest News Service
Source: The Vancouver Sun -- http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/B...498/story.html

Last edited by Kodii; May 6, 2009 at 5:16 AM.

Old Posted May 6, 2009, 5:10 AM

Great news! And I'd go with Hamilton, being one of the largest cities in Ontario and since they already have that arena. Copps Coliseum i think, it seats something like 18,000. It would give the Greater Toronto NHL market some good competition.

Old Posted May 6, 2009, 6:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x View Post
Great news! And I'd go with Hamilton, being one of the largest cities in Ontario and since they already have that arena. Copps Coliseum i think, it seats something like 18,000. It would give the Greater Toronto NHL market some good competition.
Hamilton is a long shot since their arena is dated by today's standards and the Buffalo Sabres are vehemently opposed to any infringement into what is considered "their" market. An new arena in Kitchener-Waterloo or near Pearson airport are better bets.

Old Posted May 6, 2009, 6:39 AM
Yellow Fever

Hamilton and KW are good places to have a NHL team. It would be even better if they move the team to Regina.

Old Posted May 6, 2009, 6:40 AM

Don't know if this is going to happen. The NHL is pretty firm in its stance as of right now of not wanting the Coyotes moving anywhere, nor do they have any desire to expand. With that being said, I can't stand seeing cities like Atlanta, or Tampa Bay have teams winning the cup, and none of the Canadian NHL franchises have yet to win the Cup since the Canadiens did it in '93.

Old Posted May 6, 2009, 7:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancity View Post
I can't stand seeing cities like Atlanta, or Tampa Bay have teams winning the cup, and none of the Canadian NHL franchises have yet to win the Cup since the Canadiens did it in '93.
Atlanta won the cup? You are right by the way; this thing is a lonnnnnng way from being a done deal.

Old Posted May 6, 2009, 7:03 AM

Okay, stirring the shitpot here we go!: It's a long shot but, move the team back to Winnipeg! Southern Ontario already HAS a team, Winnipeg deserves the Jets back, and since their population boost since losing the Jets, plus a thriving economy despite other places in NA, they're a perfect candidate. (plus people there are absolutely desperate to get them back.) However I believe the new MTS centre has a max seating of 15 or 16,000. Below NHL standards....

Old Posted May 6, 2009, 7:05 AM

Winnipeg is a very small market, and their new arena is not suitable for the NHL. Not to mention who would be willing to foot the bill for the arena modifications or the cost of the franchise itself.

Old Posted May 6, 2009, 7:07 AM

the coyotes are bankrupt - they don't get much say

KW yay

Old Posted May 6, 2009, 7:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
the coyotes are bankrupt - they don't get much say

KW yay
But their creditors do!

Old Posted May 6, 2009, 9:04 AM
Blazed Member - Citygater

Go Jim Go!

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted May 6, 2009, 2:01 PM
Vancouver User

Unfortunately the league doesn't really want to admit defeat in the states.

Move 'em back to Winnipeg! Go Jets Go

Old Posted May 6, 2009, 3:53 PM

If Bettman somehow stops this I think I'll have to kill him myself.

This should really be up to bankruptcy court in Phoenix. I don't know how the NHL owners would tolerate continual losses in that market when there is a motivated buyer waiting. Especially in this economy.

Old Posted May 6, 2009, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastVanMark View Post
Winnipeg is a very small market, and their new arena is not suitable for the NHL. Not to mention who would be willing to foot the bill for the arena modifications or the cost of the franchise itself.
I wouldn't call Winnipeg a VERY small market, it is a smaller market though. However it is larger than any other city in Ontario without a team. But yes as I said before the MTS center's seating capacity is the only real problem there.

Old Posted May 6, 2009, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Atlanta won the cup? You are right by the way; this thing is a lonnnnnng way from being a done deal.
I'm just sayin'...places like the Atlanta's, the Anaheim's, the Tampa Bays, the Carolina's have a tendency to win the Cup, and few if any (since '93) has any Canadian team brought the Cup back to Canada. Although, it looks like this could be Vancouver's chance to do just that.

Old Posted May 6, 2009, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sono65 View Post
Okay, stirring the shitpot here we go!: It's a long shot but, move the team back to Winnipeg! Southern Ontario already HAS a team, Winnipeg deserves the Jets back, and since their population boost since losing the Jets, plus a thriving economy despite other places in NA, they're a perfect candidate. (plus people there are absolutely desperate to get them back.) However I believe the new MTS centre has a max seating of 15 or 16,000. Below NHL standards....
I'm not convinced that it would be a good idea to move a team from the States to Winnipeg. Like one other poster said, it is a very small market, and the MTS Centre only fits like 15,000 approx for hockey. That's WAY too small for an NHL arena. I, for one, would love to see the Jets go back to Winnipeg, but as long as Bettman's in charge, I really do not think it will happen. It'd be nice if Quebec City had a team back too! That would bring back memories..haha..Sakic, Foote (basically all the players who went on that Cup drive a year after they moved from Quebec City).

Old Posted May 6, 2009, 5:20 PM

As much as I'd like to see the return of our 7th team outside of Ontario, Balsillie has stated that his intentions are to move the Coyotes to Southern Ontario and only there. We're going to have to wait a lot longer for the return of the Jets.

Old Posted May 6, 2009, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sono65 View Post
I wouldn't call Winnipeg a VERY small market, it is a smaller market though. However it is larger than any other city in Ontario without a team. But yes as I said before the MTS center's seating capacity is the only real problem there.
I would. Why? Cause using what the NHL considers a "market" they would be the smallest.

Old Posted May 6, 2009, 8:07 PM
Mac User

Quote:
I would. Why? Cause using what the NHL considers a "market" they would be the smallest.
The reality is that there are way more NHL fans in Winnipeg than in cities like Phoenix or Tampa, so population really shouldn't matter. I think moving the Coyotes to Hamilton would be successful and they could play in Copps Coliseum until a new stadium gets built. I wonder if hockey fans in Toronto would support a new team?

Old Posted May 6, 2009, 10:06 PM
I worship Led Zeppelin

Quote:
But their creditors do!
And I'm sure they'd love to get that $212.5 million!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation