HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Dec 21, 2010, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpseatles View Post
BTW, is Westmount considered a dead mall yet, because it must be on it's last legs. Then we will have a massive empty shell of suburban exuberance to be proud of!

I find it quite humerous that the only way it can sustain it's existance is by building stores outside the mall! (expanded movie theater, Shoeless Joe's)
I was in Westmount Mall a couple weeks ago and I won't be going back anytime soon. I bought a gift at the Westmount Souvenir store, went into Sears and bought another gift, then drove home. When I got home I discovered the gift I had bought at the souvenir store was badly chipped with a crack. I had not dropped it or anything like that, I have no idea how it got chipped and cracked. Perhaps there was a hairline crack that I didn't see when I bought it.

I raced back to the mall and got there five minutes before closing. The guy at the souvenir store accused me of dropping the item and then trying to get a refund out of him. All I wanted to do was make an exchange, or even buy another gift. However the rudeness of this guy deterred me from giving him any more money. I ended up buying a similar gift somewhere else the next day. It was not an expensive gift, but it's the principle of the matter for me; having worked in retail for 5 years and being a marketing consultant-in-training, that is no way to ever treat a customer. In fact as far as any of my previous employers were concerned you can be sued for making that kind of false accusation of a customer.

I also spent over 15 minutes at Sears waiting for an employee, any employee, to help me, although that doesn't bother me to the extent the souvenir store incident did. I have never seen such a lack of staffing at Sears anywhere; in fact usually at the Masonville location there's salespeople all over asking if you need help. If it wasn't for the security cameras, one could easily have stolen a very large amount of merchandise and not gotten caught.

Over the summer, in addition, there was a letter to the editor in the Free Press from a customer at the Westmount Metro store complaining about poor service. In this case, the manager had started charging a dime for tiny jam packets or something like that at the little cafe at the side of the store.

Westmount's merchants need to shape up their attitudes towards their customers and improve service levels if they want to attract more customers. I don't go to malls often, but if that's the way it always is at Westmount, I can see why so few people shop there anymore. I for one won't be back to Westmount anytime soon. I'll take the longer drive to Masonville or White Oaks, or better yet, Birchwood Mall near Port Huron, Michigan.

If I'm going to complain about one bad mall, I will also take the time to say that Birchwood Mall is the best mall I have ever been to. I went there in August and found the staff at JC Penney and the other stores throughout the mall extremely abundant, friendly and helpful. There was no waiting, the staff were eager to help without being pushy, and I felt I got excellent value for what I paid. These Americans know how to treat people, and I was thoroughly impressed with the operation.

(The day I went to Port Huron, I also took a peek around Lambton Mall in Sarnia. It was dead, complete with an abandoned grocery store.)

Last edited by manny_santos; Dec 21, 2010 at 7:38 PM.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2010, 7:14 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Ventured into White Oaks yesterday for some Christmas shopping. Of course it was busy as hell!

Of the 3 big malls in London, it is definately my least favourite design-wise. It's a sprawling 1 storey mess, that lacks grand atriums, fountains, or anything that makes a mall a more bearable place. Not to mention it looks like an army bunker from outisde, and I still get lost whenever I walk around that place.

At least the new food court is much better.

BTW, is Westmount considered a dead mall yet, because it must be on it's last legs. Then we will have a massive empty shell of suburban exuberance to be proud of!

I find it quite humerous that the only way it can sustain it's existance is by building stores outside the mall! (expanded movie theater, Shoeless Joe's)

^agreed on all points.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2010, 7:18 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Manny, I share your disdain for Westmount Sears' employees. Perhaps they have so few customers, that the ones that they do get are seen as intrusions into an otherwise customer-free day.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2010, 7:27 PM
The Vomit Bag.

If you got them, post photos of London's shittier malls (interior shots). Is the Northland Mall still around? Pond Mills? Argyle Mall? London Mall, Oxbury Mall? Westmount? The one in the blue buildings downtown? Centretown Mall? (if not, then centretown pawnbrokers will do).

Two almost shitty malls that I frequent are Sherwood forest and Cherryhill.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2010, 1:04 AM
Wannabe Urbanite

[QUOTE=MolsonExport;5100938] Pond Mills? [QUOTE]

I'm afraid Pond Mills Mall is no more. For as long as I can remember it had been vacant untill it was torn down a couple of years ago, leaving the old anchors, Zellers (ever notice how seedy they are?) and a Food Basics as stand alones. The state of retailers is pretty sad on that stretch of Commissioners. There's a lot of abandoned plazas. A few years ago a mini smart centre was built near Summerside but it has also been struggeling. On the main plaza several stores have come and gone in it's short lifetime.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2010, 2:02 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^I heard that it was at Pond Mills' Zellers that Anne-Marie deC-B bought up all the door crasher patio furniture for her husband's (Timothy Worst) bar (Fryday Lite Fights).

Old Posted Dec 22, 2010, 2:05 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Nominated as the world's worst Christmas Tree. guess the location!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/compmouse/2040474723/

Old Posted Dec 22, 2010, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Nominated as the world's worst Christmas Tree. guess the location!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/compmouse/2040474723/
That's an easy one. London Mall.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2010, 4:05 PM

Quote:
If you got them, post photos of London's shittier malls (interior shots). Is the Northland Mall still around? Pond Mills? Argyle Mall? London Mall, Oxbury Mall? Westmount? The one in the blue buildings downtown? Centretown Mall? (if not, then centretown pawnbrokers will do).

Two almost shitty malls that I frequent are Sherwood forest and Cherryhill.
A friend and I got talking about London malls last night thanks to this thread. She finds both Argyle Mall and Northland Mall (both malls I've never been in myself) pretty seedy.

I remember Oakridge Mall when Wal-Mart was there was a pretty happening place, but after Wal-Mart left it went into the dumps. The Loblaws in that mall as I recall was really dirty, smelled like a pantry that hadn't been cleaned in years. When I was younger I found a potato on the floor there with green goo oozing out.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2010, 10:33 PM

I lived right around the corner of Oakridge. Walmart was there for about 2 years before it left. It was a pretty happening place before they left, but poof, as soon as Walmart left, that mall was done for.

And surprisingly the Superstore there now is packed all the time, and the plaza on Hyde Park out back is actually doing just fine. Since it opened in around 2003, I believe only one store in there actually has changed. The rest have been there and survived just fine.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2010, 1:26 AM
Wannabe Urbanite

I went to Northland Mall once to go to a really crappy movie theatre 5 years ago and haven't been back since. I heard the theatre burned down or something.

Does anyone else think that London has an abundance of these stupid, seedy mini-mallls? I just can't stand them! Cherryhill, Northland, Oxbury, London Mall, Argyle and former ones like Pond Mills and Oakridge. Does the average North American city our size have this many? I hope that London Mall and Oxbury Mall can get torn down, and replaced with either some nicer retail developments, some residential towers, or better yet a combination of both! They are located at prominant intersections that are in desperate need of help.

Wonderland Road, and Oxford has to be the most depressing intersection in the city. An empty field with a Costco behind it on one side, London Mall way down in a vally on the other, with car dealerships and commie blocks on the other 2 sides!

Old Posted Dec 23, 2010, 3:05 AM
The Vomit Bag.

^true enough. If it wasn't for the Costco, the whole area would be shittsville city.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2010, 3:19 AM
Wannabe Urbanite

Quote:
^true enough. If it wasn't for the Costco, the whole area would be shittsville city.
I would say that it is because of the Costco that it's "shittsville city!"

Old Posted Dec 24, 2010, 2:51 AM

Quote:
I would say that it is because of the Costco that it's "shittsville city!"
I like the area for one reason and one reason only - The Oar House Sports Bar & Grill.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2010, 3:27 AM
The Vomit Bag.

I love Costco. Can't help it. I hate the parking lot, though, and the ugly commie blocks over yonder.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2010, 2:13 PM
Wannabe Urbanite

Quote:
I love Costco. Can't help it. I hate the parking lot, though, and the ugly commie blocks over yonder.
Fair enough, I've never been in there. It looks hideous in my opinion, but it could be nice inside for all I know!

Old Posted Dec 26, 2010, 7:25 PM
User Registered

Happy Packaging Day everyone!

Anyone hit the malls today? How crazy was it?

Hope you all had a Merry Christmas

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Dec 26, 2010, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haljackey View Post
Happy Packaging Day everyone!

Anyone hit the malls today? How crazy was it?

Hope you all had a Merry Christmas
I just got back from Masonville Place. It was really, really packed, although at Sears they were moving people through pretty fast. I got some clothing at 50% off. The clerk I talked to said they were open at 6AM this morning. Fanshawe Park Road was very slow-moving because of an accident at the top of the hill west of Richmond.

There was a MASSIVE lineup of young women (and a couple guys) at the Lululemon store. It looked like the lineup at Jack's downtown after exams last week.

I got lucky with parking and found a spot by the CIBC in the parking lot. The parking lot was otherwise jam-packed, with several vehicles parked illegally close to CIBC.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2010, 12:38 AM
Wannabe Urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
I just got back from Masonville Place.
^Same here. I got there around 11:30 but there was still resonable parking at the farthest reaches of the Zellers area.

I went to the "smart centre" at Fanshawe and Hyde Park earlier on and it was also packed. Thanks to the lack of sidewalks, idiotic boxing day drivers, and the cold, just walking between the Futureshop and Sprawlmart became a difficult task.

One year I remember going to White Oaks and there were cars lined up and down the crescents that branch off of Jalna.

The smart boxing day shoppers go to Westmount because they now it'll be empty!

Old Posted Dec 27, 2010, 5:21 PM

Quote:
I went to the "smart centre" at Fanshawe and Hyde Park earlier on and it was also packed. Thanks to the lack of sidewalks, idiotic boxing day drivers, and the cold, just walking between the Futureshop and Sprawlmart became a difficult task.
That's why I avoid the DumbCentre whenever possible. Why is it called a SmartCentre anyways? Are they trying to capitalize on smartphone popularity?

Quote:
The smart boxing day shoppers go to Westmount because they now it'll be empty!
I had a Sears gift card, which is why I went to Sears at Masonville. I could have gone to Sears at Westmount, but I'd rather not deal with the hassles there.

Funny how Westmount discontinued the "hassle-free" slogan a few years ago. Perhaps it was a deliberate change in their strategy.

Last edited by manny_santos; Dec 27, 2010 at 9:17 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation